Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

mhiggy09 wrote: »
    What it looks in my area

Which is where?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Which is where?? :confused:

"South Cavan on the border with Longford" - it's 3 posts up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭acassells80

Is there more snow due later this afternoon when temps may be dropping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Snow falling in Moycullen, Galway a short while ago :)

335265.jpg

Clear blue skies here in Sth Wexford.

I'm losing faith for snow this year. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Lovely and sunny in Limerick city 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭lolie

Nice bit of snow fell here in southeast cavan this morning, wasn't expecting much after a shower falling as sleety rain few hours earlier. Better when it's a surprise.
    Should keep the nieces and nephews happy.
    335269.jpg
    335270.jpg
    335271.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

whats the view on this forecast from Met Eireann tonight:

'Tonight will be bitterly cold, with scattered showers of sleet and snow, mainly in Atlantic coastal counties at first and in Ulster, becoming more widespread, with accumulations in many areas. Some clear spells also. Widespread frost, with a risk of icy stretches. Minimum temperatures 0 to minus 3 Celsius'

Not often we have such predictions in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just looking at the hi res models for the next 48 hrs. They have virtually the whole country in sub 528 thickness and -6 or lower uppers the whole time. You can see why there might well be snow accordingly if there is a land track to your location (eg IMBY if precipitation comes from the NW it tracks 70 miles over land before hitting me but if it comes from the SW I am virtually on the coast).

'Tonight will be bitterly cold, with scattered showers of sleet and snow, mainly in Atlantic coastal counties at first and in Ulster, becoming more widespread, with accumulations in many areas. Some clear spells also. Widespread frost, with a risk of icy stretches. Minimum temperatures 0 to minus 3 Celsius'

Not often we have such predictions in the short term.

Well my view anyway is :) .

• Advertisement

Well my view anyway is :) .

ok but is it likely to occur at lower levels?!!

sorry missed your post before. so there is a chance if you get hit by the shower.

ok but is it likely to occur at lower levels?!!

sorry missed your post before. so there is a chance if you get hit by the shower.

I'm no expert (I still cant follow pressure charts!) but I think so.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Ta se ag cur sneachta. West Cork

Tis a day for heading for high ground I think.

Ta se ag cur sneachta. West Cork

Tis a day for heading for high ground I think.

what asl are you vista? encouraging if at a lower level.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

lolie wrote: »
    Nice bit of snow fell here in southeast cavan this morning, wasn't expecting much after a shower falling as sleety rain few hours earlier. Better when it's a surprise.
    Should keep the nieces and nephews happy.
    335269.jpg
    335270.jpg
    335271.jpg

Great pics, thanks and I love your dogs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

am i allowed to hope and dream for snow tonight here in cork or will i be heartbroken and have to curl into a ball and cry myself to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 23,922 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    am i allowed to hope and dream for snow tonight here in cork or will i be heartbroken and have to curl into a ball and cry myself to sleep

I wouldnt if I were you, very very unlikely. Distract yourself with something else and you might get bonus ninja snow

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

what asl are you vista? encouraging if at a lower level.

About 150 m. Im about 20k on the north eastish side of the Shehy mountains we do well enough with snow here and it can stop dead at the top of the pass of Keimaneigh heading south west seen it many times. Im not far from Gougane Barra.

Its not lying but hopefully we get some more.

And I wanted to write the word sneachta :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Stunning day here in Galway after snow this morning, beautiful clear blue sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Heres my view

c0myngz.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭V1

I know - but I cant help it!... don't eat yellow snow !

Haven't seen it posted yet so here's the latest warning from met eireann

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for All of Ireland
    Wintry showers will continue throughout the warning period across Ulster, leading to accumulations of snow on hills and mountains.

Wintry showers will become widespread in Connacht and West Munster Friday evening, extending eastwards in to Leinster Friday night.

Issued:Friday 16 January 2015 11:00
    Valid:Friday 16 January 2015 12:00 to Saturday 17 January 2015 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not looking as positive for Monday - more marginal but still snow for some.

Next week the easterly that was coming looks an ever more distant prospect but lots of chopping and changing to come.

I'm a little sceptical of Met E's forecast for tonight. I don't anticipate showers to be that widespread and the east could remain dry. In the west though different story.

Not looking as positive for Monday - more marginal but still snow for some.

Next week the easterly that was coming looks an ever more distant prospect but lots of chopping and changing to come.

I'm a little sceptical of Met E's forecast for tonight. I don't anticipate showers to be that widespread and the east could remain dry. In the west though different story.

But Kermit you were certain re monday yesterday! only joking - I love your positive posts! you were right about snow in west munster last night though it stayed mostly on higher ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,576 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

But Kermit you were certain re monday yesterday!

I still am for snow on the leading edge of it which is what I said yesterday. The question is whether it is just temporary and turns back to rain.

I still am for snow on the leading edge of it which is what I said yesterday. The question is whether it is just temporary and turns back to rain.

from my experience here these fronts are usually rain or sleet at best down in the south west. further east and north a difference story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Always downgrades, rarely upgrades!

Still good chance of some snow over the next 3 days, not expecting much for Carlow but perhaps a nice dusting tonight ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭highdef

Looking at satellite, there appears to be a largish area of cloud getting thicker off the west and north west coast and moving E or ESE, not to be mistaken with showers over the north of the country.

Could this be the "widespread" wintry showers for tonight that Met Eireann speak of?

Or is it just an area of cloud? http://www.sat24.com/en/gb?ir=true

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

If you look at the weather warning MTE.IE mention showers becoming widespread tonight oover midlands and East.

I don't buy it. The updated regional forecast mention the word 'isolated' for Leinster and are even downplaying shower activity in North and North west.....

I think it is game on for the east on Sunday and Monday/Tuesday ok but not tonight or tomorrow.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭pauldry

rain on monday turning to snow in the NE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Really extreme low temperatures across the North this weekend

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement