Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold snap Jan 10th onwards: Wintry Showers, Snow Accumulations for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Thunder in Castlebar followed by a heavy graupel shower about 20 minutes ago, still seeing lightning strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I have seen two small lightning flashes, no percip, and a temperature of 5.3c here in Clare. Its the warmest ATM in the past 12hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,566 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The showers in the north west could bring some snow to the midlands and east in the next couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭highdef

The showers in the north west could bring some snow to the midlands and east in the next couple of hours.

I'm just south east of enfield, Co meath. Heading to work soon so will delay heading in to see what that precipitation gives here. Looks heavy right now. Hopefully it lasts out. It has a habit of fizzling out around Kinnegad

Donegal getting plastered inland.

• Advertisement

1c with dp of -1 in mullingar sounds excellent for snow from that imminent band of precipitation. Dublin airport and casement both at 2c with 0c dp also sounds quite good.

Looking at Net Weather radar, the blob of precip is doing it's all too familiar thing of slowly dying off at it reaches the very middle of the country, then reinvigorating a little before beginning to die a quick enough death as it gets into the eastern half of the country. Now, thats what it looks like as it begins to get into the eastern half so my initial observations could be wrong and I really really hope that they are!

Will be bringing the dog out for a quick walk in a few minutes so I will report back the cold factor when I get back, before heading to work.

Defo looks like that darn Kinnegad snow shield is sending out its cloud killing weapons into that band of precip as it is beginning to lose intensity. However it is holding out better than a lot of other showers in the past few days. I'd say I will probably get a a short spell of light and maybe a bit moderate snow. For Dublin, I would not be so confident of much.....a light dusting at the very most.

However, I would love to be proven wrong!

On latest reports it does not suggest it will be snow. However the showers behind in the northwest are.

Just back from walk and about to head to work. Was 0.5c when I left and it's 0.7c now so a definite rise occurring with the imminent arrival of the leftover precip. Cars covered in thick frost and ice from an earlier light shower.

Wind has also picked up in the past few minutes. The showers are now dying off very quickly in the eastern half of the country. The current shower about to arrive here will follow me as I drive down the M4 towards Dublin.

Light sleet is now hitting the office window. I am at just under 100m ASL so o it does not bode well for Dublin and other low lying areas.....if the shower even manages to each those areas!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

Had a really heavy hail shower in south east Kerry 1 hour ago,The road changed from black to white in a couple of minutes and had a few small skids.
    Can hear cars struggling in the distance at the moment so clearly conditions are bad out there.
    Plus while all this was happening there was plenty flashes on lightning.
    What a crazy few days of weather....

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

A quite wintry forecast for today/tonight from ME:

Today
    Very cold today. This morning will be mostly cloudy at first, with outbreaks of rain and sleet, turning to snow in places, especially over high ground, but at lower levels also, especially in parts of the midlands, north and east. Scattered thunderstorms also, mainly in west Ulster, Connacht and west Munster. Widespreasd frost, with a risk of icy stretches. Many areas will become dry during the day, with sunny spells developing, but showers will continue in the north, some of them wintry, with a few isolated showers elsewhere. Maximum temperatures 3 to 7 Celsius, with mostly moderate westerly breezes.

Tonight

Tonight will be bitterly cold, with scattered showers of sleet and snow, mainly in Atlantic coastal counties at first and in Ulster, becoming more widespread, with accumulations in many areas. Some clear spells also. Widespread frost, with a risk of icy stretches. Minimum temperatures 0 to minus 3 Celsius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Just after getting up and the place is completely covered!! (Cavan)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Had a really heavy hail shower in south east Kerry 1 hour ago,The road changed from black to white in a couple of minutes and had a few small skids.
    Can hear cars struggling in the distance at the moment so clearly conditions are bad out there.
    Plus while all this was happening there was plenty flashes on lightning.
    What a crazy few days of weather....

Oh dear.... have decided to make a break for Killarney... according to AA roads it is bad on the Kerry Cork border again.on the N22. Which I think covers your report? No snow up here and with the temp as it is frost should not be a great issue. Noisy night with much thunder and heavy deluges. Will just take it slowly; there really are things I need to do and will need fuel soon as no one has been up and clearly are all too busy so that is fine. Will wait until first light; the weather seems set to worsen. I should add I did have promises of fuel but they were Irish promises! Which after nearly 14 years here I should be used to. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Gee_G wrote: »

Pics pics pics

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

DOCARCH wrote: »
    A quite wintry forecast for today/tonight from ME:

Today
    Very cold today. This morning will be mostly cloudy at first, with outbreaks of rain and sleet, turning to snow in places, especially over high ground, but at lower levels also, especially in parts of the midlands, north and east. Scattered thunderstorms also, mainly in west Ulster, Connacht and west Munster. Widespreasd frost, with a risk of icy stretches. Many areas will become dry during the day, with sunny spells developing, but showers will continue in the north, some of them wintry, with a few isolated showers elsewhere. Maximum temperatures 3 to 7 Celsius, with mostly moderate westerly breezes.

Tonight

Tonight will be bitterly cold, with scattered showers of sleet and snow, mainly in Atlantic coastal counties at first and in Ulster, becoming more widespread, with accumulations in many areas. Some clear spells also. Widespread frost, with a risk of icy stretches. Minimum temperatures 0 to minus 3 Celsius.

Thanks. confirms that I am out today as it is clearly going to get colder etc. The regional forecast has just gone up Today will be very cold. The morning will be mostly cloudy, with outbreaks of rain and sleet, turning to snow in places, especially over high ground. There will be some heavy, thundery falls, mainly in western parts of Munster. However, it will brighten up during the day, with sunny spells developing and just a few scattered showers in western coastal areas, mainly of rain or sleet. However, scattered wintry showers will become more widespread in western areas later. it will become mainly dry during the day, with sunny spells. Maximum temperatures 5 to 7 Celsius, in a moderate west to northwest breeze.

Out early back fast1

• Registered Users Posts: 18,522 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Gee_G wrote: »

Yea.
    We have about an inch of snow but it's turning to sleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Pics pics pics

Will try get some when its a bit brighter, all I can get now is the car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Snow shower in Athlone, ground very wet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

Snow here ground is white

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Snow in Westport. Too dark for a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Brianmeath wrote: »
    Snow here ground is white

whereabouts are ya brian, no snow in north meath, had the shower caaaavan got earlier but it quickly turned to rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dinorebel

About an inch of snow at 520ft here in Letterkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

whereabouts are ya brian, no snow in north meath, had the shower caaaavan got earlier but it quickly turned to rain

Dunsany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Fairly heavy snow in Coolock at the moment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Inch of snow on the ground, with blizzard conditions in Armagh City at 6.30 this morning. Not a sign of snow in Belfast at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭john why

Snowing in d15

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Very heavy snow on the m50 just past Ballymun. Cars struggling to do any decent speeds (and no, I'm not driving and texting, I'm a passenger!).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭circadian

Raining in D3, heading towards D15 so expecting the snow to hit at some point!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

Snowing here in D15 but not sticking

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement