Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And it begins... (bigot brigade anti-SSM leaflets) - ### Mod Warning in 1st Post ###

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

They've a right to send and publish the leaflet just as we've a right to mock and deride it.

Btw seriously? Sounds of Sodomy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    Maybe nobody is stopping anybody believing anything (mostly because that's impossible) but its still open season on boards to describe people's beliefs snd people of faith in the most hideous fashion. And to presume that all people's of all faiths but in particular RCC will vote no. It's simply not accepted that people of no religious persuasion at all may nonetheless anti SSM.

Come now. This **** is coming into people's homes, and we're bleating about what a beating religion is taking online?

Come back to me when someone is financing a campaign to prevent people from practicing their religion in their own homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

floggg wrote: »
    Yes, but can't we all agree that the shower behind this flyer were a bunch of morons?

Where did I say they weren't? Nor do I think many half decent practicing Catholics would be terribly impressed with such tactics. But I've seen enough "tarring with the broad brush" going on in threads like this to know that there are plenty of people who would happily insist that every Catholic is just like the makers of that pamphlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

I have no idea how a gay person could want to be a participating catholic anyway. It's the No Homers Club, and you are Homer...

Yeah but they're allowed one!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

They've a right to send and publish the leaflet just as we've a right to mock and deride it.

Btw seriously? Sounds of Sodomy?

They have no right to put junk mail through my letter box.

• Advertisement

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE.

*baggsie not it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

rozeboosje wrote: »
    Where did I say they weren't? Nor do I think many half decent practicing Catholics would be terribly impressed with such tactics. But I've seen enough "tarring with the broad brush" going on in threads like this to know that there are plenty of people who would happily insist that every Catholic is just like the makers of that pamphlet.

And the automatic assumption that its Catholics, its Dublin based I presume from the OP, there is loads of small churches that make even the most conservative old school Irish Catholic look like Lady Gaga based around the Dublin area.
    Thats not the right thing to say on here though, particularly considering the demographic make up of a lot of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭BlutendeRabe

They have no right to put junk mail through my letter box.

Fine. Seal up your letter box so.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I have no idea how a gay person could want to be a participating catholic anyway. It's the No Homers Club, and you are Homer...

Interesting point - however history shows that the RC church maintained a homosexual sub text for hundreds of years. The number of popes, cardinals and other religious who were gay (sometimes openly) and were successful within the church is well documented. In some ways the power that the church held over gay men helped to develop the male only power structure that the church built up over time. It suited the church to continue this practice in that many men knew that only within the confines of the church could they hope to be gay. It was noticeable that only with the legalising of homosexuality that the church lost their control over gay men and it was around this time that the church became openly anti gay on all fronts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

A gay bar is having a "Sounds of Sodomy" night on Sunday night.

Yeah but (I gave up reading through the whole thread so if anyone has already mentioned:o) couldn't Tarquin and Allyssia be equally put out by the sounds of Mummy and Daddy banging the backdoor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I shouldn't have to I have a notice on my door stating no leaflets/junk mail. I don't go around to the local priests house posting pro abortion leaflets so i shouldn't have to put up.with this ****e from the bible thumpers.

gozunda wrote: »
    Interesting point - however history shows that the RC church maintained a homosexual sub text for hundreds of years. The number of popes, cardinals and other religious who were gay (sometimes openly) and were successful within the church is well documented. In some ways the power that the church held over gay men helped to develop the male only power structure that the church built up over time. It suited the church to continue this practice in that many men knew that only within the confines of the church could they hope to be gay. It was noticeable that only with the legalising of homosexuality that the church lost their control over gay men and it was around this time that the church became openly anti gay on all fronts.

I still think in the current climate, you would want to have some appalling self esteem and\or analytical skills to want to be involved and gay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Maybe nobody is stopping anybody believing anything (mostly because that's impossible) but its still open season on boards to describe people's beliefs snd people of faith in the most hideous fashion. And to presume that all people's of all faiths but in particular RCC will vote no. It's simply not accepted that people of no religious persuasion at all may nonetheless anti SSM.

Anybodys beliefs are open season. Just because a book told you to think something doesn't make that belief anymore important.

I can believe prayer is the solution for illness so let's close down all hospitals and get rid of doctors. Doesn't mean other people can't call me thick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Is that a euphamism?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I still think in the current climate, you would want to have some appalling self esteem and\or analytical skills to want to be involved and gay.

Agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Come now. This **** is coming into people's homes, and we're bleating about what a beating religion is taking online?

Come back to me when someone is financing a campaign to prevent people from practicing their religion in their own homes.

Yes this leaflet is crap. It's manipulative crass poisonous tack. But believe it or not plenty of households will give it serious consideration. The leaflet is probably not official RCC stuff it's deffo not Iona. It'd most likely one of the Christian fundamentalist churches which are picking up lapsed Catholics like crazy all around the country not to mention snapping up our increasing band of Irish citizens of African origin. What are you doing yo be proactive in counteracting the effect of this leaflet? Complaining about believers ( you understand you can do nothing about this) will achieve absolutely nothing except put people further on the defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Appealing to good Christian's, that's me excluded then.

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Those who wrote it didn't even have the balls to put their name on it.

Some believers they are if they are unwilling to stand by what they are saying, instead having to shove it through letterboxes before scurrying back under their rocks.

Yes this leaflet is crap. It's manipulative crass poisonous tack. But believe it or not plenty of households will give it serious consideration. The leaflet is probably not official RCC stuff it's deffo not Iona. It'd most likely one of the Christian fundamentalist churches which are picking up lapsed Catholics like crazy all around the country not to mention snapping up our increasing band of Irish citizens of African origin.What are you doing yo be proactive in counteracting the effect of this leafle t

Victim-blaming surely? I am not to say these people are bigots in the hope of appeasing the hard-of-thinking? No thank you. Mom said never kiss the ass that is ****ting on you.

I am encouraging my friends and family to vote. That is as much as I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    The child in the leaflet has a face on her like a car alarm - she must have heard some sodomy because she doesn't look like a happy camper!

Considering the types of parents who would allow their child to appear in such a leaflet it is little wonder she looks so unhappy. The unhappy appearance is probably genuine and caused by the 'sounds' of crazy religious fundie parenting! Never mind the 'sounds of sodomy'!

• Advertisement

Anybodys beliefs are open season. Just because a book told you to think something doesn't make that belief anymore important.

I can believe prayer is the solution for illness so let's close down all hospitals and get rid of doctors. Doesn't mean other people can't call me thick.

So you don't mind if I call you thick because of your lack of belief?

So you don't mind if I call you thick because of your lack of belief?

I think the word that is generally used is "damned", but that is fine, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Do we know where this leaflet came from yet? People here seem to be assuming, without evidence that it came from a certain religious group.

I think the word that is generally used is "damned", but that is fine, right?

No, shruikan says I must accept it if she want to call me "thick" because of my beliefs. So surely if I find her lack of belief " thick" then I can say that, no?

No, shruikan says I must accept it if she want to call me "thick" because of my beliefs. So surely if I find her lack of belief " thick" then I can say that, no?

you can indeed. But the point I was making is that the religious stance on non believers is generally damned, not thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,619 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Disgusting thing to be putting through people's doors.

Easy to laugh at people with these opinions but Christmas with the family was an eye opener in terms of their views on SSM. Middle Ireland may still not be, amazingly, ready for same sex marriage.

In my own family over Xmas no one had a problem with SSM. However a few did take issue with gay adoption and feel that this issue is being tacked onto to the marriage referendum when they feel they're two distinct issues. They feel gay adoption is being slid under their noses and hence they're voting no to the entire thing. I can see their point of view, many people are going to feel that if there is an orphaned child up for adoption the single best thing to do for the child is to give it to a couple that has both a male and a female influence, all other things being equal.

Anyway Paddy Power is giving odds of 1/12 of it passing and something like 5/1 against. Turnout is likely to be low as its not something 95% of people stand to benefit from. I reckon the religious right can pull this one off, they're organised and have networks of older voters to tap into. At 5/1 its worth a wee flutter, it certainly won't be the 70-30 in favour that the polls are currently predicting, I can see this one get a lot closer yet.

Do we know where this leaflet came from yet? People here seem to be assuming, without evidence that it came from a religious group.

That's because this thread is full of posters whose main stance is to be anti religion(in particular anti RCC, that's fine) and their pro SSM stance is only secondary.
    As such they will not accept that atheists anti-theists and agnostics maybe anti SSM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,063 ✭✭✭Kiwi in IE

Do we know where this leaflet came from yet? People here seem to be assuming, without evidence that it came from a religious group.

Have you clicked on the link in the OP?

"Good Christians, Christ calls you to action" is a pretty good indication of religious motivation I would have thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

"Beastly obsession with unholy acts" :pac:

What a comically written piece of bigoted tripe. I'll be proudly voting Yes even though the referendum doesn't affect me personally but I'm a big fan of equality. And I admire the Gay's for what they have achieved in the last 20/30 years.

Does anyone know who funds these leaflets ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Twas hardly atheist Ireland in fairness.

Advertisement