Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And it begins... (bigot brigade anti-SSM leaflets) - ### Mod Warning in 1st Post ###

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    No, no a poster is quite certain that im thick. She's since backed this up by telling mevthat she's been first in her class for 3 whole years. And I never force my beliefs on anyone. It's you are being forceful in fact.

1. Im a he
    2. Where have I said you are thick?

You seem quite fond of making claims about things I say. At least its not genocide this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

:rolleyes:

You say you think Im thick, then complain Im being an intellectual snob. Some people are never happy
    ....and with such excellent use of a roll eyes
    Smiley, you are indeed the intellectual superior. I bow before you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

When is the gay wedding referendum?

Do we have to put up with this kind of tripe for the next few months? :(

....and with such excellent use of a roll eyes
    Smiley, you are indeed the intellectual superior. I bow before you.

Have you found where I said you were thick yet? Or are you trying to make new claims about me?

Nodin wrote: »
    ....but not anything about arriving in a thread in the internet looking for a fight, evidently.

So I arrived in the thread on page 5. When did you arrive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

If this doesn't pass I'm out of here. It will be a sure sign that my ideals are completely disconnected from the country at large.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

That is horrible. No point in saying more than that, because the views of other posters correlate with my own.

I'll be lobbying my local T.D.'s and councillors, alright. Making sure to let them know they've lost a (potential) vote if they're opposed to civil marriage. Be interesting to see what T.D.'s "come out" in opposition to civil marriage, especially those belonging to a political party (as all the parties officially support civil marriage). Will they lose the party whip and stuff if they oppose it?

In fairness to all the parties, at least they're in support of it. Don't know of any that are opposed. Except maybe some party like DDI or something.

Have you found where I said you were thick yet? Or are you trying to make new claims about me?

Oh your FAR TOO CLEVER to be caught actually describing another poster directly as thick, cos then you'd get banned? But indirect is fine. Thats why it'd be fine for me to say that I would find those of no belief as kinda thick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Has anyone answered the question that someone asked earlier?

Who is distributing these leaflets?

Some people are going on about catholic groups, but those leaflets seem a lot more likely to have been created by a US conservative evangelical-like sort of group. I've seen very similar stuff handed out by them when I lived in the US

As far as I know they are very active in these sort of campaigns outside of America too. I'm pretty sure they've even been active in Ireland before. I'm not saying it's not a catholic group that's behind it but I wouldn't take it as a given either tbh.

JaseHeath wrote: »
    That is horrible. No point in saying more than that, because the views of other posters correlate with my own.

I'll be lobbying my local T.D.'s and councillors, alright. Making sure to let them know they've lost a (potential) vote if they're opposed to civil marriage. Be interesting to see what T.D.'s "come out" in opposition to civil marriage, especially those belonging to a political party (as all the parties officially support civil marriage). Will they lose the party whip and stuff if they oppose it?

In fairness to all the parties, at least they're in support of it. Don't know of any that are opposed. Except maybe some party like DDI or something.

I'd say there will ne no such thing as losing the party whip in s referendum. As we were saying yhe main enemy of the yes vpre is low turn out. Apathy and indifference. Hopefully the weather will be fine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,241 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If you sent a leflet like that around and swtched the words "homosexual" and "liberal" with the words "Chrsitan" you'd be guilty of a crime.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,042 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

When is the gay wedding.....

Equal marriage

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Oh your FAR TOO CLEVER to be caught actually describing another poster directly as thick, cos then you'd get banned? But indirect is fine. Thats why it'd be fine for me to say that I would find those of no belief as kinda thick too.

I've been thinking it would be a good idea to write a little guide for new posters that isn't about the rules, but how if you've got an idea of how the site works and don't personally antagonize a mod you can get away with so much baiting and indirectly insulting of a poster until they get angry enough to directly have a go and then get carded/banned.
    Its a fine art that can be seen in action by many of the 10,000+ posters (or they're cousins the 2000 posts and then re-reggers).
    This post here is only a poor example as I'm not very good at it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

Has anyone answered the question that someone asked earlier?

Who is distributing these leaflets?

Some people are going on about catholic groups, but those leaflets seem a lot more likely to have been created by a US conservative evangelical-like sort of group. I've seen very similar stuff handed out by them when I lived in the US

As far as I know they are very active in these sort of campaigns outside of America too. I'm pretty sure they've even been active in Ireland before. I'm not saying it's not a catholic group that's behind it but I wouldn't take it as a given either tbh.

i don't know, but i just showed it to my practicing catholic husband and he was disgusted by it, he really believes in the let him live his life by his catholic values but let others live their lives by their own life values.

i'd imagine many catholics would feel similar to him, at least the ones i know would, (or maybe they are just nice to me because i am agnostic)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

hoodwinked wrote: »
    i don't know, but i just showed it to my practicing catholic husband and he was disgusted by it, he really believes in the let him live his life by his catholic values but let others live their lives by their own life values.

i'd imagine many catholics would feel similar to him, at least the ones i know would, (or maybe they are just nice to me because i am agnostic)

He'll be hearing nothing but anti SSM ****e from the pulpit from now until May. I really hope people like himself who don't agree with the church on this issue make it known that they don't agree.

Well if you have a problem with something report it. That or start a thread in the conspiracy theory forum. Don't bother responding, I won't see it.

eviltwin wrote: »
    He'll be hearing nothing but anti SSM ****e from the pulpit from now until May. I really hope people like himself who don't agree with the church on this issue make it known that they don't agree.

no he won't, the priest where we go to mass is very forward thinking and doesn't go for that crap, in fact his sermon's are more based on the real world of his parishioners, like a few weeks ago was one where jesus did something (i really zone out sorry) but he equated it all into a mental health awareness thing and where he basically said jesus would want you to love someone no matter who they are or what they are in to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 194 ✭✭GalwayGuitar

I still think in the current climate, you would want to have some appalling self esteem and\or analytical skills to want to be involved and gay.

Plenty of gay pedos had a great time in the Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

no he won't, the priest where we go to mass is very forward thinking and doesn't go for that crap, in fact his sermon's are more based on the real world of his parishioners, like a few weeks ago was one where jesus did something (i really zone out sorry) but he equated it all into a mental health awareness thing and where he basically said jesus would want you to love someone no matter who they are or what they are in to.

That's great, its great to see that kind of person in the church. Its just the overall organisation is very much against the idea of SSM so I wonder will the Archbishop have one of those letters they read out in every mass that appeals for a No vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Plenty of gay pedos had a great time in the Church.

I don't know that paedos are split into straight/gay/bisexual...

• Advertisement

So if you like young boys you're not gay?

Hey lads, we've got a live one here.

No, that would make you a paedophile. do you think homosexuality and paedophilia are linked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Well a lot of those horrific goings on were more Pederasty in a way, there's actually a bit of a debate about some of anti-same sex stuff in the New Testament if its just about Greek style pederasty or all male-male relations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I would suspect that the words "gay" and "paedophile" are going to be put into the same sentence by some people at every possible opportunity between now and the referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I don't doubt the man is a good person but his organization has an appalling view of gay people. I'm sure he'll be instructed to read out a letter from the higher ups about protecting us all from gay people being married and how we need to stop them having civil marriage available to them when the time comes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

ScumLord wrote: »
    "Good Christians, Christ calls you to action!"

I'd like to see that email.

I would have thought Christians frowned on people talking on behalf of Jesus and putting words in his mouth.

Email is also mentioned as a sin in the bible. It was communicated through a burning bush, which, when you think about it, is odd

Hey lads, we've got a live one here.

No, that would make you a paedophile. do you think homosexuality and paedophilia are linked?

No but if you're into young lads I'd say there's a good chance you're bent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The issue is that you're comparing a mental illness with a sexual orientation. A pedophile is a pedophile.

No but if you're into young lads I'd say there's a good chance you're bent.

so, paedophiles who abuse prepubescent girls are heterosexual?

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    That's great, its great to see that kind of person in the church. Its just the overall organisation is very much against the idea of SSM so I wonder will the Archbishop have one of those letters they read out in every mass that appeals for a No vote.

to be honest they are the people who changed my attitude towards religion to the point i agreed to have our daughter baptized (as my husband desperately wanted to) purely because of their attitudes and it's the kind of attitude i'd love for them to pass onto her, but while priest's like him aren't the norm they are the prevailing attitudes coming forward in younger priests in the church, while like other professions the older outdated views are dying out. the sooner the better imo.

but its easy to say "the church" agree with literature like this, when the truth is MANY of it's members like my husband are disgusted something they believe in is being abused in this way to hurt others, and all because other people simply want the choice to marry someone they love.

Advertisement