Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And it begins... (bigot brigade anti-SSM leaflets) - ### Mod Warning in 1st Post ###

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Sodomy is trending in Ireland on Twitter.
    Don't tell Tesco, they'll up the price of KY.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

andymurph wrote: »
    I don't know anyone that will vote against SSM and everyone I know will vote. To me this is actually kind of funny that they are taking that particular stance for their argument.

"The won't someone think of the children" is the only stance they have and with enough lies, their best stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Daith wrote: »
    Agreed, I wouldn't underestimate Iona and their ilk. They've enough connections with similar American groups to really destroy this.

I don't think I've met anyone to said they would vote Yes over the conduct of the No side. Though it will be the Yes side who needs to rise above it while the No side try everything.

They can't destroy this without considerable voter apathy or a sudden bout of incompetence on the heretofore excellent yes campaigners.

If we get a medium to large turn out we will win. A low turn out could be disastrous though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

Manach wrote: »
    It begins, a masterclass on ad hominem by the PC brigade whose toleration for anything expect for those who disagree with progressive precepts.

Ad hominem? The offending leaflet is right there in the link you silly sausage! :rolleyes:

awec wrote: »
    Are you in Dublin OP?

Yep

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

Oh look, the first person to complain about people being intolerant of intolerance.

Well it's much of a muchness.
    The PC brigade intolerance of religious beliefs compared to the religious nuts intolerance of the PC brigades rights to equality.

Both come under the bigot umbrella BTW

• Registered Users Posts: 13,155 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

A gay bar is having a "Sounds of Sodomy" night on Sunday night.

A gay bar is having a "Sounds of Sodomy" night on Sunday night.
    Sure that's normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,530 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I just walked to the shop with music blasting in my in-ear headphones, but couldn't hear anything due to all the sodomy.

I'm voting against SSM. Otherwise, I might have to spend my hard earned cash on proper noise cancelling headphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Sodomy is trending in Ireland on Twitter.

Never have the last two words in a sentence been more disappointing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

PeteFalk78 wrote: »
    The PC brigade intolerance of religious beliefs compared to the religious nuts intolerance of the PC brigades rights to equality.

If you're pointing out lies in a poster you're not a bigot.

Intolerance of religious beliefs vs rights to equality. There's only one winner to be honest. A belief is just that, a belief. And quite frankly they're out dated beliefs, carefully selected from a book written by men, about a fairytale!

See your not actually refuting my point at all, since plenty of people that are very smart can have awful views if it wasn't a CC related thing I doubt you'd even bother denying it.
    That attitude plays well on Boards where everybody agrees with SSM anyway but its underestimating your opponents, did you listen to Bacik vs Waters for example.

True enough but this is what Iona institute stuff looks like, its a hell a lot slicker and more likely to sway people.

Edit: In case there's any doubt I am for SSM but its presuming that everything is like these leaflets is how it could be lost

I think this is slicker than the Iona vid - probably more representitive of their true views on things too! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭logically

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Got this in the door this morning. Inevitable but none the less depressing that this nonsense has started already.

I'd love it if they could explain to me a) what sodomy 'sounds' like, seeing as they seem to know what a 'special' sound is it, which begs the question HOW DO THEY KNOW THIS, and b) why they seem to think that 'sodomy' is limited to homosexuals?

That's a photo of the exact one you got, taken by yourself after it came through the door?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

it is the picture being used by various news agencies....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Nobody is stopping people believing anything. In this situation only one side is trying to force the other to follow their beliefs.

logically wrote: »
    That's a photo of the exact one you got, taken by yourself after it came through the door?

No, my one went in the bin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Daith wrote: »

I don't think I've met anyone who said they would vote Yes over the conduct of the No side. Though it will be the Yes side who needs to rise above it while the No side try everything.

Countless examples of it on the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Probably a naive question but what american group would be funding it?

Don't know a specific US group but in 1977, Ian Paisley founded the Save Ulster from Sodomy campaign

801894542.jpg

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Save_Ulster_from_Sodomy

During one of the gay pride parades in Belfast - a local LGBT group reacted to Paisleys campaign by displaying SAVE SODOMY FROM ULSTER signs ;)

You couldn't make it up ...

I think this is the problem with recycling buzz words and talking points you hear elsewhere without understanding the issue.

The referendum won't impact on anybody's religious beliefs at all - only the ability to impose those beliefs on others as a matter of law.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Savage indictment of greedy developers and bankers, sure without paperthin Celtic Tiger apartment walls the children of Ireland would be spared the sounds of sodomy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

People are people and their opinions aren't always black and white. I know a few people who are a bit internally conflicted about this, and who aren't quite sure yet how they're going to vote. Their gut tells them that they should be voting "yes", but the Church tells them they should be voting "no". I'm working on them gently and I can feel them inching ever further towards "yes". I'm starting to convince them that the status of CIVIL law on the topic of "marriage" has no bearing on the status of the "sacrament" as defined within their religion. Softly softly catchee monkey.

But by all means, be confrontational and tell people that they're "morons" if they're not 100% sure yet. Then watch them become defensive and digging their heels in and swinging back around to the "no" side, which is, after all, only a natural thing to do for a human under attack.

I can think of at least two reasons why people might consider voting "no". The first one is because they are entrenched, hardened bigots. The second one is because they don't understand the issue and they're confused. The latter cohort can be convinced, but not by attacking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Nobody's stopping Catholics from practicing their beliefs or withholding services because of their believe in god.

There is a big difference. I can call a religion a load of nonsense but at the end of the day my opinion has no bearing on someones believe or their ability to practice their religion.

A small subset of religious bigots want to withhold basic rights from people even though it has no bearing on them whatsoever. If we were forcing Catholics to have gay weddings I might have some sympathy but as it is the church can just mind it's own business.

I have no idea how a gay person could want to be a participating catholic anyway. It's the No Homers Club, and you are Homer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

The Catholic Church are big believers that children shouldn't be able to hear the sounds of sodomy.

That's why they always made the altar boys put their hands over their ears before putting them over the pulpit

rozeboosje wrote: »
    I know a few people who are a bit internally conflicted about this, and who aren't quite sure yet how they're going to vote. Their gut tells them that they should be voting "yes", but the Church tells them they should be voting "no".

The problem is that they're listening to the church. If the church told them that they should remove young girls from school to train them to be good wives for their future husbands would they do it?

smash wrote: »
    The problem is that they're listening to the church. If the church told them that they should remove young girls from school to train them to be good wives for their future husbands would they do it?

Hell, they'd put in the constitution. ..

rozeboosje wrote: »
    People are people and their opinions aren't always black and white. I know a few people who are a bit internally conflicted about this, and who aren't quite sure yet how they're going to vote. Their gut tells them that they should be voting "yes", but the Church tells them they should be voting "no". I'm working on them gently and I can feel them inching ever further towards "yes". I'm starting to convince them that the status of CIVIL law on the topic of "marriage" has no bearing on the status of the "sacrament" as defined within their religion. Softly softly catchee monkey.

But by all means, be confrontational and tell people that they're "morons" if they're not 100% sure yet. Then watch them become defensive and digging their heels in and swinging back around to the "no" side, which is, after all, only a natural thing to do for a human under attack.

I can think of at least two reasons why people might consider voting "no". The first one is because they are entrenched, hardened bigots. The second one is because they don't understand the issue and they're confused. The latter cohort can be convinced, but not by attacking them.

Yes, but can't we all agree that the shower behind this flyer were a bunch of morons?

Honestly, it's a bit pathetic if we have to tip toe around every stupid thing said and pretend it's not stupid.

Sure, if there are undecided people lacking in information most people on the yes side will happily explain the facts to them in a reasoned and calm manner.

But we should still all be allowed laugh at nonsense like that flyer and acknowledge it for the stupidity it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Nobody is stopping people believing anything. In this situation only one side is trying to force the other to follow their beliefs.

Maybe nobody is stopping anybody believing anything (mostly because that's impossible) but its still open season on boards to describe people's beliefs snd people of faith in the most hideous fashion. And to presume that all people's of all faiths but in particular RCC will vote no. It's simply not accepted that people of no religious persuasion at all may nonetheless anti SSM.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Manach wrote: »
    It begins, a masterclass on ad hominem by the PC brigade whose toleration for anything expect for those who disagree with progressive precepts.

The leaflet is hate speech. You think it's fair?

Advertisement