Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And it begins... (bigot brigade anti-SSM leaflets) - ### Mod Warning in 1st Post ###

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,468 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Unfortunately my money is on this not passing. We are an awfully backward nation who,despite what people may claim, are still largely controlled by the church. This effect is wearing off on the younger generation thankfully but that generation generally don't vote. Pensioners and middle age Irish farmers vote in large numbers and these are the exact groups that fear "the sound of sodomy". I hope I'm wrong but come the end of may I reckon we will embarrass ourselves as a nation by revealing how bigoted the country truly is.

I think (hope) the older generation may surprise us all on this, I doubt if there is a person in the country who doesn't have an openly gay relative and (again hoping) i think family may be a better persuader than church. I know we all have that Mother/Sister/Uncle/Aunt whatever who will NEVER change their mind on this but i think (HOPE) the country has moved forward a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

And who do you complain to about election literature you find offensive? Any organisation putting this sort of crap through doors should be forced to put (working) contact details on it. I don't see anything identifying who is promoting that tripe.

Its so almost comically bad I would almost think its an agent provocateur/false flag thing but sadly its probably real.
    The thing is, it doesn't even make any sense either, gay people can still be christian now, they can already adopt AFAIK, and plenty of heterosexual couples enjoy anal sex*.
    Also presumably they are ok with lesbians :confused:

* actually possibly the same amount as gay couples

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Daith

Unfortunately my money is on this not passing. We are an awfully backward nation who,despite what people may claim, are still largely controlled by the church. This effect is wearing off on the younger generation thankfully but that generation generally don't vote. Pensioners and middle age Irish farmers vote in large numbers and these are the exact groups that fear "the sound of sodomy". I hope I'm wrong but come the end of may I reckon we will embarrass ourselves as a nation by revealing how bigoted the country truly is.

To be honest the only way it's going to pass is to refute their points no matter how ridiculous they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Daith wrote: »
    To be honest the only way it's going to pass is to refute their points no matter how ridiculous they are.

You can refute points as much as you want but they will still peddle the same lies. There are people who think that the referendum has something to do with adoption

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

iDave wrote: »
    Look this campaign was always going to get ugly, and it will only get worse all the way up to May. The only way to defeat bigots will be to put your money where your mouth is and vote.

I agree. We are going to see lots and lots more of this type of rubbish. So important to vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

On the contrary, most people are easy going and dont hold extreme religious views or allow a church to shape how they look at the world. A lot has changed in 20 years and few people nowadays wuold have an issue with gay people. What could prevent it passing is apathy and low turn out.

Needless to say this referendum is going to get very messy come may and those extreme leaflets are only the start of it. Most people are sane and will see through this nonsense. In fact these type of leaflets help the yes camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

My money would be on the IONA Institute.

Maybe, I'd be surprised.

Its actually quite amusing - corniness, misspelling and all.

Its funny, hardly going to change anyone's mind.

You can refute points as much as you want but they will still peddle the same lies. There are people who think that the referendum has something to do with adoption

A lie can travel around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes

Irish people do not like change. Refuting points no matter how tedious it is has to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

...and to refute the points while smiling and resisting the temptation to call anyone a loon or a bigot or any of the othere epitaphs that only serve to push voters further into the no.camp..
    What I heard over Christmas makes me expect that unless LGBT make a massive push to get 18 to 30s out to vote en masse then this referendum will be defeated.

Maybe, I'd be surprised.

Its actually quite amusing - corniness, misspelling and all.

Its funny, hardly going to change anyone's mind.

My money would actually be on one of the new fringe Christian Churches, people can hate the Iona Institute and the mainstream churches but they aren't this stupid

• Advertisement

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    ...and to refute the points while smiling and resisting the temptation to call anyone a loon or a bigot or any of the othere epitaphs that only serve to push voters further into the no.camp..

Right because the No voters will try everything and can say anything.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It begins, a masterclass on ad hominem by the PC brigade whose toleration for anything expect for those who disagree with progressive precepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

:pac::pac::pac:
    Not The RTÉ Guide
    @YourRTEGuide
    RTÉ One 18:00 The Angelus: This evening's Angelus will be double the normal volume so that it can be heard over all the sodomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Manach wrote: »
    It begins, a masterclass on ad hominem by the PC brigade whose toleration for anything expect for those who disagree with progressive precepts.

ah, here we are.

That "ad" doesn't deserve anything but contempt. It's full of lies and ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

It's a good thing they didn't push that through my letterbox. My dog is very, very in favour of same sex marriages and she hates people wasting paper!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Oh look, the first person to complain about people being intolerant of intolerance.

• Administrators Posts: 53,561 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Are you in Dublin OP?

Oh look, the first person to complain about people being intolerant of intolerance.

People can express their opinions but you can't express an opinion of their opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

people can hate the Iona Institute and the mainstream churches but they aren't this stupid

Thanks, needed a laugh.

• Advertisement

smash wrote: »
    Thanks, needed a laugh.

Yes they are not this stupid, you can disagree with what they say, they're views , and why they hold those views but the attitude that all your opponents are a bunch of uneducated thicks is how you loose referendums like this.

Yes they are not this stupid, you can disagree with what they say, they're views , and why they hold those views but the attitude that all your opponents are a bunch of uneducated thicks is how you loose referendums like this.

No, people concerned with the sex lives of consenting adults is how this referendum is going to fail.

I'll happily refute any of their arguments though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

My opinion is that you'd need to be thick as shít to have their beliefs. They really are a disgusting bunch of human beings.

smash wrote: »
    My opinion is that you'd need to be thick as shít to have their beliefs. They really are a disgusting bunch of human beings.

See your not actually refuting my point at all, since plenty of people that are very smart can have awful views if it wasn't a CC related thing I doubt you'd even bother denying it.
    That attitude plays well on Boards where everybody agrees with SSM anyway but its underestimating your opponents, did you listen to Bacik vs Waters for example.
    No, people concerned with the sex lives of consenting adults is how this referendum is going to fail.

I'll happily refute any of their arguments though.

True enough but this is what Iona institute stuff looks like, its a hell a lot slicker and more likely to sway people.

Edit: In case there's any doubt I am for SSM but its presuming that everything is like these leaflets is how it could be lost

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

What thread are you reading?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Anyone that tells you they were going to vote yes but have decided against it due to the conduct of the yes side is a liar who were always going to vote no. Works same the other way.

True enough but this is what Iona institute stuff looks like, its a hell a lot slicker and more likely to sway people.

Agreed, I wouldn't underestimate Iona and their ilk. They've enough connections with similar American groups to really destroy this.
    Peist2007 wrote: »
    Anyone that tells you they were going to vote yes but have decided against it due to the conduct of the yes side is a liar who were always going to vote no. Works same the other way.

I don't think I've met anyone who said they would vote Yes over the conduct of the No side. Though it will be the Yes side who needs to rise above it while the No side try everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,532 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

• Registered Users Posts: 13,159 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Sodomy is trending in Ireland on Twitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 andymurph

I don't know anyone that will vote against SSM and everyone I know will vote. To me this is actually kind of funny that they are taking that particular stance for their argument.

Advertisement