Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Pachinko machines are the future, seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Corholio wrote: »
    Might be heading to Ikea in a few weeks, never been there before, and I'm looking to pick up some shelves for mostly gaming stuff as the more I fill ground space the more I think I should have got more shelves long time ago. I've been looking at the floating type shelf like this:

lack-wall-shelf-oak-effect__64804_pe174773_s4.jpg

But not sure on the weight it can bare. I won't really be putting anything majorly heavy on there but don't want anything falling off either. I might be looking to put up rows of them above one another so I don't really want any obtrusive bracketing that takes up room. A good few of these look reasonably good too:

ekby-st%25c3%25b6dis%252fekby-laiva-wall-shelf-birch-effect%252fwhite__0111405_pe262137_s4.jpg

Anybody got any recommendations or other ideas for shelving?

IKEA kallax is usually the goto unit for consoles and game storage. I just put one together over the weekend.

Edit:
    Ah ok. Didn't see you are looking for floating shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Floating shelves look great but are crap unless fixed directly to a concrete wall which is rarer enough now as everything is dry lined. They will pull away and sag eventually.
    I had some of them and ended up fitting brackets to prop them up :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

whos talking shyte about 90's anime skull proportions?
    will fight anyone who doesn't like them

mETtnEW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nightworkgames/blackroom-a-new-fps-from-romero-and-carmack

Romero and Carmack back together for a project based in Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

airmax87 wrote: »
    whos talking shyte about 90's anime skull proportions?
    will fight anyone who doesn't like them

mETtnEW.jpg
    Speaking of, here's Stephanie McMahon in her 'Mania 33 outfit in annie-may form.

wjz7jLv.jpg

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

I had those shelves in my game room and had them packed with stuff and they where grand. I got them because i hate seeing brackets on the wall.

Might be heading to Ikea in a few weeks, never been there before, and I'm looking to pick up some shelves for mostly gaming stuff as the more I fill ground space the more I think I should have got more shelves long time ago. I've been looking at the floating type shelf like this:

lack-wall-shelf-oak-effect__64804_pe174773_s4.jpg

But not sure on the weight it can bare. I won't really be putting anything majorly heavy on there but don't want anything falling off either. I might be looking to put up rows of them above one another so I don't really want any obtrusive bracketing that takes up room. A good few of these look reasonably good too:

ekby-st%25c3%25b6dis%252fekby-laiva-wall-shelf-birch-effect%252fwhite__0111405_pe262137_s4.jpg

Anybody got any recommendations or other ideas for shelving?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I had those shelves in my game room and had them packed with stuff and they where grand. I got them because i hate seeing brackets on the wall.

Ya I'm the same, aesthetically and also because they take up awkward space if you have another shelf below it. Were they fairly solid in the wall then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

SEGA fans across the world will celebrating the launch of the new SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis Classics Hub as a free update on Steam. This will all go live on April 28th.
    SEGA is about to treat it's fans across the world with a free release of some the best Mega Drive games ever made on STEAM on a new hub. This is a FREE update and there is no need to purchase games you already own on steam to use it.

Titles include:
    Golden Axe™
    Altered Beast™
    Comix Zone™
    Ecco the Dolphin™
    Gain Ground™
    Shinobi™ III: Return of the Ninja Master
    Vectorman™
    Crack Down™
    Shadow Dancer™
    Space Harrier™ II
    Ecco™ Jr.
    Alex Kidd™ in the Enchanted Castle
    Bonanza Bros.™
    Super Thunder Blade™
    Kid Chameleon™
    Ristar™
    Galaxy Force II™
    Columns™
    Eternal Champions™
    Fatal Labyrinth™
    Bio-Hazard Battle™
    Columns™ III
    Sword of Vermilion™
    Virtua Fighter™ 2
    Ecco™: The Tides of Time
    Alien Storm
    Decap Attack™
    Flicky™
    ESWAT™: City Under Siege
    Golden Axe™ II
    Landstalker: The Treasures of King Nole
    Shining Force
    Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
    Streets of Rage 2
    Alien Soldier
    Light Crusader
    Gunstar Heroes
    Streets of Rage
    Shining Force II
    Shining in the Darkness
    Beyond Oasis
    Dynamite Headdy
    Golden Axe III
    Phantasy Star II
    Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
    Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
    Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
    Sonic the Hedgehog
    Sonic the Hedgehog 2
    Sonic 3 and Knuckles
    Sonic 3D Blast
    Sonic Spinball
    Toejam and Earl
    Toejam and Earl in Panic on Funkotron
    Streets of Rage 3
    Revenge of the Shinobi
    Vectorman 2
    Wonder Boy in Monster World

My 2c, update might be free but games will not be free.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Free? :eek:

Edit ; ah wait it's just the hub that's free. I thought they were giving away all those games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

o1s1n wrote: »
    Free? :eek:

Post edit, also did some streaming on twitch earlier.

https://www.twitch.tv/sega

The revenge of shinobi artwork does make a really nice poster in that hub. Be nice to get a hi res scan of that.

Ya I'm the same, aesthetically and also because they take up awkward space if you have another shelf below it. Were they fairly solid in the wall then?

Yeh I never had a problem with them. I used good wall plugs and made sure they where in right. I don't have concrete walls in the house it's just plastered walls and they where fine. I had the long ones, four of them. On one I had about 120 boxes nes games with plastic box protectors on them, 60 on the bottom and another 60 sitting on top of them , so doubled up and about thirty Super Nintendo games as well to give you an idea of the weight I had on them. I'm gonna get a couple of them again for the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Yeh I never had a problem with them. I used good wall plugs and made sure they where in right. I don't have concrete walls in the house it's just plastered walls and they where fine. I had the long ones, four of them. On one I had about 120 boxes nes games with plastic box protectors on them, 60 on the bottom and another 60 sitting on top of them , so doubled up and about thirty Super Nintendo games as well to give you an idea of the weight I had on them. I'm gonna get a couple of them again for the attic.

Thanks for that, good to know. Ya I was thinking about the longer ones too, sounds like they can take a bit of weight anyway. Will probably end up going for them so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Are the import changes from ebay.com for old games a new thing? They were never any a few years ago but now every listing seems to have them. Kind of defeats the purpose :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Are the import changes from ebay.com for old games a new thing? They were never any a few years ago but now every listing seems to have them. Kind of defeats the purpose :(

That's that stupid global shipping program thing that sellers opt in to. Customs charges were always there, but there was a good chance your item would get in without notice. With this program though, it charges the customs at the point of sale. Not all sellers use it, thankfully.

Master of the Universe

The revenge of shinobi artwork does make a really nice poster in that hub. Be nice to get a hi res scan of that.

I came across a site recently selling poster sized prints of that, was really tempted to buy one and frame it. One of my favourite game covers ever.

o1s1n wrote: »
    I came across a site recently selling poster sized prints of that, was really tempted to buy one and frame it. One of my favourite game covers ever.

Yeah it's really nice and just so iconic to me. I think I'll have to pick one up

Master of the Universe

Here's where I saw it, they've a few more. Not sure on the size though

http://www.funstockretro.co.uk/revenge-of-shinobi-art-print#reviews

In other news, anyone going to see Nausicaa in The Lighthouse this weekend?

Possibly the greatest Ghibli film imo

http://lighthouse.admit-one.eu/index.php?s=LHSMITHF&p=details&eventCode=24577

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Anyone have a good solution for a backing for those Ikea Kalax units?

• Advertisement

DinoRex wrote: »
    Anyone have a good solution for a backing for those Ikea Kalax units?

Some thin MDF or plywood cut to size could be used, or a large sheet(or multiple small sheets) of pegboard material would work well and give a certain effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I doubt it but anyone here collecting Amiibo cards? Might be looking to swap when I get more or if there's anywhere else to check that's reliable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I doubt it but anyone here collecting Amiibo cards? Might be looking to swap when I get more or if there's anywhere else to check that's reliable.

There's some people on the Nintendo forum that could help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

What's the feeling around here for Video Games Live, this Sunday in the Convention Centre Dublin? I went to both VGL and the Zelda concert last year and felt that VGL was much more enjoyable. Interaction with the crowd was positive and upbeat and there was decent variety in the music they selected for the show.

http://www.flavorus.com/event/IDIG-MUSIC-FESTIVAL-2016/294613

Master of the Universe

It's on this weekend? :eek: Have I been living under a rock or was it just really under advertised this year?

Didn't go last year due to the price, I see it's still ridiculously expensive this year too.

Master of the Universe

Interesting tidbit of information I only came across this morning - I was always a huge fan of the 1992 XMen animated show. Didn't realize there was a pilot made three years before in 1989 for an alternative show that never materialized at the time.

Turns out this is where the character design for the Xmen arcade game came from. (Same team of Xmen and they're all coloured/designed the same)

I wonder was the game actually made a few years previously to coincide with that original show but was then delayed until 1992 till the release of the new show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Always thought it was funny that Wolverine had an Australian accent in the pilot and ended up being played by an Australian in the movies.

I'm just wondering if anyone if using their retro consoles with a modern projector and an xrgb mini framemeister? I’m upgrading my projector at home and was wondering if it’s going to be something I could play some retro games on without wanting to stab myself in the eyes after 5 mins.

The projector will be a BenQ HT2050, so is DLP based if that makes a difference.

Ive never done that but would be interested in seeing it done, ill be getting a projector myself in the next couple of months and was looking at BenQs as well. what made you go for the BenQ HT2050 ? i was looking at the w1070+ , i need a short throw projector.

• Advertisement

Ive never done that but would be interested in seeing it done, ill be getting a projector myself in the next couple of months and was looking at BenQs as well. what made you go for the BenQ HT2050 ? i was looking at the w1070+ , i need a short throw projector.

The HT2050 gets good reviews and it seems you get close to a high end projector at mid range prices(800 euro ish depending on where I get it). It has accurate colour and very good contrast ratio which is important as well as high brightness output(I’m aiming for a 150-200 inch screen for movies). I think the HT2050 is called the W110 in the UK, so the one you are thinking of getting is the short throw version of the previous model, you should check out the HT1085ST which I think is an updated version of that(and the price seems to be around the same).

I might change at the last minute and go for a short throw myself, but right now I’m leaning towards the standard throw HT2050.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement