Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I'm hoping the artwork is only part of the limited edition. Like yourself I prefer the plain text on the cover, I can't wait for it to come out all the same.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

So Will Overton is the Sturmwind of anime art, colourful, but ultimately disappointing and a shadow of the originals?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That'd be my take on it anyway :pac:

From what I can tell, he can't draw faces. I think that's why he got into Manga, due to a perception that their faces are simplified and easier to draw.

However what he's missing is that although Manga faces are simplified in many cases, they're extremely dynamic and confidently drawn. They've loads of energy.

His don't.

Have a look at this, you should be able to see what I mean.

Oh the surface it's all, 'wow! action packed! this is pretty cool!'

However, look at the faces. There's just something wrong with most of them. They're not 'right'. They're Sturmwind. :pac:

large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Doge wrote: »
    This is one for Dino Rex:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/dark-soulstm-the-board-game

If it's as hard as the video games I can see people flipping tables!

It's super expensive. You're paying for little plastic figures and a game from people with virtually no track record. Mediocre tabletop games seem to do really well on Kickstarter if you add in some cheap plastic figures... see also the Ghostbusters game.

There's also a Bloodborne game in the works which I'm way more interested in as it's by Eric M. Lang who has designed some excellent games over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,961 ✭✭✭Doge

In that case then...

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »

From what I can tell, he can't draw faces. I think that's why he got into Manga, due to a perception that their faces are simplified and easier to draw.

However what he's missing is that although Manga faces are simplified in many cases, they're extremely dynamic and confidently drawn. They've loads of energy.

His don't.

However, look at the faces. There's just something wrong with most of them. They're not 'right'. They're Sturmwind. :pac:

large.jpg

it's like manga edit style.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    it's like manga edit style.

Jesus, thats a pretty shocking comment even by my standards! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Steve X2

it's like manga down edit style.

Dude!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,536 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sorry lads and ladies, had to do some editing there...
    And a Cat Mod too!
    :rolleyes:

Beatings will be meted out at the next Beers....

I guess he didn't mean it in a bad way just described what it visually looks like.

edit at users request

• Advertisement

I guess he didn't mean it in a bad way just described what it visually looks like.

edit at users request

Yeah...
    It was a lapse, is all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

In that case then...

giphy.gif

The lead up to the table flipping is even better, it does contain strong language though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Saw Krikkzz have finished a prototype for a GBA Everdrive, now going into testing. The cart itself is a bit bigger than your usual GBA cart.

https://twitter.com/krikzz/status/717445720589090818

Kinda excited about this. GBA flash carts are pretty ancient stuff at this stage, but they're inconsistent in availability and even the best offerings have performance problems (corrupting saves/won't work the DSlite GBA slot). So it'd be neat to have a consistently well-received vendor/producer getting involved.

GBA flash linkers have been around for a decade, so I don't think the device will have quite the impact of previous devices, such as the excellent TG16/PCE cart.
    The notion of an effective Wonderswan flash cart would be tremendous, although the console had minimal impact outside of Japan, with the recent link showing several are in prototyping now.
    A NGPC flash cart is another one that'd be welcome in my collection, though that link indicated that it is in early production.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

I have a gba flash cart from back in the day. Ezflash or something like that.

Storage is small, proprietary cable and reading writing from can be slow but works 100%. Never had any bother.

Appreciate getting one now is probably impossible so an everdrive solution maybe has a place.

Love the Minish Cap on the system by the way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,864 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I didn't mean anything bad by it, just they all kind of look like they suffer from it, it's really awful art.

I didn't mean anything bad by it, just they all kind of look like they suffer from it, it's really awful art.

Well, in future just say they look like they're from Balbriggan....
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Well, in future just say they look like they're from Balbriggan....
    ;)
    2977457-9595356216-idn2p.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

o1s1n wrote: »

His don't.

large.jpg
    It's like that awful how to draw Manga thing

tumblr_inline_mfc54z4IOI1qmoaae.jpg

I suppose it's the difference between understanding a style and not, you see it all over the creative sphere,
    like someone who thinks "I must design a dress that looks like Chanel" to someone who understands the roots of the look and then, from those principles, designs their own, with the finished product converging towards similar lines and colours.

Or someone making Sturmwind... probably a better example!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I suppose it's the difference between understanding a style and not, you see it all over the creative sphere,
    like someone who thinks "I must design a dress that looks like Chanel" to someone who understands the roots of the look and then, from those principles, designs their own, with the finished product converging towards similar lines and colours.

Or someone making Sturmwind... probably a better example!

Speaking of style - hopefully the powers that be will see sense and dump the 'Responsive site' version of boards in the bin. Or at least allow the legacy version to live on. :D

If it's not broken...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,773 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Data Discs just announced that their next vinyl is Panzer Dragoon, Out Run is on the horizon aswell.

Looks like I'll be forking over more money to them!

Just to say, Star Fox Zero is outstanding fun.
    If you loved the SNES and N64 games, the WiiU game is not going to disappoint.
    The controls are contentious but, within 30 mins you won't even notice.
    The game is all about repeated play through and rewards with secrets and bonuses.
    And the Retro Arwings are a nice touch, unlocked in gameplay or earlier with the Fox Amiibo.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,541 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I really want to pick that up, love the first two games.

What's up with the controls?

Another Sony BVM on the way to me from the UK, this time a BVM-20G1E.

So I have a few of these now(various BVM's, but all the same size a Sony brand). What's the story with hooking them up and controlling them with those little controller boxes they come with sometimes?
    As in, I'm sure having them duplicate one source is easy, but can I span one source over 4 screens?

It's wouldn't be practical to play a game that way, but I'd like to give it a go :)

Wireless controller adapter for the NES.

pro-img.png

If it works as well as the rest of the 8bitdo stuff does it might be worth the 20 quid.

http://www.analogue.co/pages/8bitdo-x-analogue

System Compatibility
    Original NES (all models)
    Analogue Nt
    All systems with an NES-style controller port
    Controller Compatibility
    All 8Bitdo controllers & arcade sticks
    PS3, PS4
    Wii Mote, Wii U Pro
    Special Features
    Additional buttons mapped to turbo on all controllers
    Compatible with two-four Retro Receivers for multiplayer
    player games

All 8Bitdo controllers are compatible with Mac/PC, iOS, Android and many next gen systems

Output support: use the Retro Receiver as a bluetooth dongle (X-INPUT - Max OSX / Windows)
    Connectivity
    Bluetooth 2.1+EDR, Class 2
    2.402GHz~2.48GHz
    Power
    DC Power supply 5V, 100mA (powers directly from the NES controller port)
    Includes
    Retro Receiver
    USB Cable
    Price
    $19.99 USD

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Looks great! Hope they make a SNES version!

Star Lord wrote: »
    Looks great! Hope they make a SNES version!

Yeah, I'm sure it'll be on the cards if this sells well.
    I wonder can we hook this wireless NES adapter to a Famicom using another adapter that allows a NES controller to plug into the expansion port on the front of the console?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Might be heading to Ikea in a few weeks, never been there before, and I'm looking to pick up some shelves for mostly gaming stuff as the more I fill ground space the more I think I should have got more shelves long time ago. I've been looking at the floating type shelf like this:

lack-wall-shelf-oak-effect__64804_pe174773_s4.jpg

But not sure on the weight it can bare. I won't really be putting anything majorly heavy on there but don't want anything falling off either. I might be looking to put up rows of them above one another so I don't really want any obtrusive bracketing that takes up room. A good few of these look reasonably good too:

ekby-st%25c3%25b6dis%252fekby-laiva-wall-shelf-birch-effect%252fwhite__0111405_pe262137_s4.jpg

Anybody got any recommendations or other ideas for shelving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,994 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Well folks, SNK Playmore is no more. Say hello to...

Cg305UfVEAADYqr.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement