Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No longer attracted to my girlfriend

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    At 30, you might. Maybe. Just about. But 30 ain't 40. Come back to us in 10 years.
    Hate to break it to you but that's physiologically way off. Actual science like. Certainly for men. The hormonal profile of a 40 year old man is at worst 10% lower than at 30. Eating healthily(and less), exercising and in fairness the help of genetics shouldn't see much if anything of a difference in body shape and overall fitness at 40. The real drops happen after 50 and even then it's pretty slow until 60. Indeed if a guy was a bit of a slob at 25 and got the fitness bug at 35 he'd look better physically at 40 than at 20.

I dunno all this apparently rapid decay being talked about here seems to be more about excuses for slobbing out because of a date on a calendar. Ah shure don't we all get old, so that's alright like type stuff. Or "we'll all get old someday, so what does it matter if your GF/BF gets fat now". Middle aged spread is all very well, but the clue is in the phrase, getting "middle aged spread" at 25 is a very different thing and something all too easily avoided.

A lot of this stuff is cultural. Go back in time and you see a different picture in many cultures. EG Aristotle reckoned that men shouldn't get married until their late 30's(to 18 year old women) as they were at their peak then. Before the law was relaxed Roman soldiers didn't get hitched and start families until they retired in their early to mid forties. There were also gladiators in their forties. And all that's before modern medicine. The altar of youth is much more a fairly recent western thing. The 1960's "don't trust anyone over 30" really copperfastened it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PhilBill

Nah, he looks like a good-looking middle aged man.
    Quite good looking for a middle aged man tho. Any man would be proud to look like the Cloon at his age!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PhilBill

Wibbs wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you but that's physiologically way off. Actual science like. Certainly for men. The hormonal profile of a 40 year old man is at worst 10% lower than at 30. Eating healthily(and less), exercising and in fairness the help of genetics shouldn't see much if anything of a difference in body shape and overall fitness at 40. The real drops happen after 50 and even then it's pretty slow until 60. Indeed if a guy was a bit of a slob at 25 and got the fitness bug at 35 he'd look better physically at 40 than at 20.

I dunno all this apparently rapid decay being talked about here seems to be more about excuses for slobbing out because of a date on a calendar. Ah shure don't we all get old, so that's alright like type stuff. Or "we'll all get old someday, so what does it matter if your GF/BF gets fat now". Middle aged spread is all very well, but the clue is in the phrase, getting "middle aged spread" at 25 is a very different thing and something all too easily avoided.

A lot of this stuff is cultural. Go back in time and you see a different picture in many cultures. EG Aristotle reckoned that men shouldn't get married until their late 30's(to 18 year old women) as they were at their peak then. Before the law was relaxed Roman soldiers didn't get hitched and start families until they retired in their early to mid forties. There were also gladiators in their forties. And all that's before modern medicine. The altar of youth is much more a fairly recent western thing. The 1960's "don't trust anyone over 30" really copperfastened it.

Google is a great place for information.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Dean0088 wrote: »
    But he'll look a damn sight better than his mate who sits at home every evening watching TV.

Indeed he will. No disputing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

PhilBill wrote: »

Well then use it to form a decent rebuttal for once. (Or to look up the word rebuttal).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Sylvester Stallone at 60 VS an overweight 20 year old.
    never could stand stallone ..sorry just not for me...who cares its what you yourself like ..pay no heed to what girls like ...we are just stupid humans like you guys..

Well then use it to form a decent rebuttal for once. (Or to look up the word rebuttal).
    did you listen to the song?

Sorry but I completely disagree with this "Oh well the body ages attitude". The body can still look excellent at 50 if people work out and take measures to improve. There are some 40 year olds with better bodies than some 20 year olds. Lifestyle is the primary factor.

Indeed, if the 20 year old doesn't work. If he does, there's no comparison. Nobody is saying that you need to accept it and stop working out. But even with working out, your body will age. Your face will age. Doesn't mean you won't look good. But you will look older.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,106 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Nah, he looks like a good-looking middle aged man.
    George is the perfect example of a man getting better looking with age. George at 25 versus George at 50.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Hate to break it to you but that's physiologically way off. Actual science like. Certainly for men. The hormonal profile of a 40 year old man is at worst 10% lower than at 30.

So... things have worsened. :D

Once again, y'all are using the disingenuous unfit 20 yo vs fit 40 yo thing. Try a fit 20 yo perhaps?

If you think you looked better at 40 than 20, great, good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Shabra

That's great. Still won't look the same in ten years time and not for the better.

When did I say I'd look the same?

You are all being the bad kind of silly not the good kind of silly.

Indeed, if the 20 year old doesn't work. If he does, there's no comparison. Nobody is saying that you need to accept it and stop working out. But even with working out, your body will age. Your face will age. Doesn't mean you won't look good. But you will look older.

But the word age as you use it gives little information about the reality of the situation. Yes we all age but we all age at different rates depending on:

• Genetics
    • Activity
    • Nutrition
    Yes you will look older compared to a younger you but you could still look younger than someone younger.

George is the perfect example of a man getting better looking with age. George at 25 versus George at 50.

He looks 50.

And honestly not better looking. There's bad 80s hair going on, but transplant that onto him now, or give him the 50 something haircut then, and 25 yo George wins for me.

And your Mick Jagger example from earlier was ridiculous. :D

PhilBill wrote: »
    No, sorry PB, maybe you're getting confused here. I have a mind and a memory and can call on both to bring forth relevant information and I could do it before google was around and can do it now.
    Ouch. Saucer of milk to Ed's table. :D

I would say most people are image conscious.

But who is more image conscious?
    The gay male world is much more image conscious than the gay female world.

Studies show gay men have the worst body image esteem out of straight men gay women and straight women.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

He has 10% less testosterone. He can still get up off his arse and go for a run. ;)

Dean0088 wrote: »
    He has 10% less testosterone. He can still get up off his arse and go for a run. ;)
    Hypothetical healthy man still won't get a date though because life wants to bite him in the butthole. Prolly wishes he ate more chocolate.

But who is more image conscious?
    The gay male world is much more image conscious than the gay female world.

Studies show gay men have the worst body image esteem out of straight men gay women and straight women.

Never say that without producing the studies.

Not nearly as bad as if you're a woman though. Men have so many more advantages as far as aging is concerned. TBH it's why I have little sympathy for men who whine about getting old in their 30's and yep I've heard a few muppets express that at that age.

• Advertisement

Hypothetical healthy man still won't get a date though because life wants to bite him in the butthole. Prolly wishes he ate more chocolate.

What???

Never say that without producing the studies.
    ok

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15554772
    Gay men are thought to experience body-image concerns or disorders more frequently than heterosexual men. It is unclear, however, whether these putative concerns are due to unrealistic body ideals (aspiring to a body shape that is difficult or impossible to attain), body-image distortion (misperceiving the actual shape of one's body), or both.
    We administered a well-established computerized body-image test, the "somatomorphic matrix," to 37 gay men recruited from the community in April 1999 and compared the results with previous data from 49 community-recruited heterosexual comparison men and 24 clinic-recruited heterosexual men with eating disorders.
    Gay men were indistinguishable from the community-recruited heterosexual comparison men on measures of both body ideals and body-image distortion. By contrast, eating-disordered men were significantly distinguishable from both other groups on body-image distortion. The lack of differences between community gay and heterosexual men on body-image indices seems unlikely to represent a type II error, since the somatomorphic matrix showed ample power to detect abnormalities in the eating-disordered men, despite the smaller sample size of the latter group.
    Contrary to our hypotheses, gay men did not differ significantly from heterosexual men on measures of body image. These unexpected findings cast doubt on the widespread belief that gay men experience greater body-image dissatisfaction than heterosexual men. If our findings are valid, it follows that some previous studies of body image in gay men may possibly have been influenced by selection bias.

Not nearly as bad as if you're a woman though. Men have so many more advantages as far as aging is concerned. TBH it's why I have little sympathy for men who whine about getting old in their 30's and yep I've heard a few muppets express that at that age.

Nobody is saying you can't keep fit and look good at any age. It's the self-appraised proclamations of looking better at 40 than 20 years before that are impossible to take seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

He looks 50.

And honestly not better looking. There's bad 80s hair going on, but transplant that onto him now, or give him the 50 something haircut then, and 25 yo George wins for me.

And your Mick Jagger example from earlier was ridiculous. :D

What's you opinion on it?

You seem to think people should just fall apart at 25 because they'll never look 20 again.

There are 40 year old men who'd have a better chance at attracting a 30 y/o woman, than a chubby 30 y/o man.

Shabra wrote: »
    What???
    I just that to myself that would be the way wouldn't it?

In fairness though women just have to stop caring about what others like and lighten up.

We all do really.

Op you don't like your GF ..find someone else so she can be with someone who does like her. Life goes on.

Where's the comparison between gay men and women there?

Nobody is saying you can't keep fit and look good at any age. It's the self-appraised proclamations of looking better at 40 than 20 years before that are impossible to take seriously.

For men that it is quite often the case assuming that they look after their health and their hair doesn't fall out.

I just that to myself that would be the way wouldn't it?

I'm not sure what you're saying.

• Advertisement

Where's the comparison between gay men and women there?
    It's between gay men and hetero men. It's between the male gaze and the female gaze.

If you are patient I shall find the others.

Just wait ...eat some cake.

Advertisement