Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No longer attracted to my girlfriend

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I'm a model and not thin, does that make me unattractive?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

eternal wrote: »

Depends on what "not thin" is as it could be anything right up to a 400 lb model for reinforced furniture. But even then, some people would find you attractive.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    Depends on what "not thin" is as it could be anything right up to a 400 lb model for reinforced furniture. But even then, some people would find you attractive.
    I am not a couch. That's an offensive remark. How many huge women would be made models? what do you look like yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I am not a couch. That's an offensive remark. How many huge women would be made models?

I uh... I wasn't calling you the couch. I was saying that, in describing yourself as "not thin" you could be a 400lb model who poses on top of reinforced furniture designed for severely obese people (there's a growing market for it in the US).

Many huge people are models. There's many a sub-genre out there for the so inclined. Everything from slightly chubby to 400lb women in stillettos and nothing else.

So, to answer your loaded questions of "I'm a model and not thin, am I unattractive?", I'd really need more info or a picture or something. I'm not actually asking you for this. I'm just saying, it was a stupid question.

Anyways. Merry Christmas. I'm going for a jog.

The ****e you are spouting. I am hardly obese on furniture, ridiculous and stupid comments. This thread is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

The ****e you are spouting. I am hardly obese on furniture, ridiculous and stupid comments. This thread is a joke.

It's your comments that are a joke honey!! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

You ask are you attractive, and someone says you could be a whale for all they know.

Why in the name of christ do you find that offensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

It was a rhetorical question. I am hardly looking for verification from people online who judge and comments on others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

It was a rhetorical question. I am hardly looking for verification from people online who judge and comments on others.

I know it was rhetorical.

I'm asking what was said in response that caused the subsequent outrage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Seriously?

How many more times are you going to criticise other people for being superficial, then mention you went from a size 8 to 16 and back, mention you're a model (aaagain), and then proclaim that you're "not thin", and ask does that mean you're unattractive?

If you're a size 8 and you're trying to say you're not thin, I can only assume you're about two foot tall.

Stand up on the bed there and I get a look at ya! :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Smidge wrote: »
    @Wibbs....Most people look the same(or practically as you near enough put it)at 40 as they do at 20???
    Give over mate, thats an utterly ridiculous thing to say.
    I'm not in bad nick for my age (almost 40 but was told I looked about 28 when I was out the other night :cool:) but there isnt a chance in hell that I look the same as I did at 20(sadly :P)
    If humans did, well there would be no need for the Billion dollar cosmetic surgery industry ;)
    No what I said was "That's all very well if you're middle aged and beyond, but short of illnesses and medical conditions, your average person shouldn't look that much different at 40 than they did at 20, certainly not in body size anyway.

And I would stand by that. Of course people age and some age at different rates(sun damage, baldness etc), but I would stand by my opinion that physically there's no good reason outside of illness or a medical condition where someone, especially a man, shouldn't be the same size at 40(or 50 for that matter) as he was at 20. There's certainly no biological impediment to it. As I pointed out a mans testosterone should only be dropping by 1% per year after 30. In other words feck all. I know quite a few blokes who stayed pretty much the same size in that period. Some are fitness types, some are not, but none were/are big eaters. Hell I take the exact same clothes sizes at 48 I did at 20 and I'm no gymist type(if I was I'd be in better shape, especially internally).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Wibbs wrote: »
    No what I said was "That's all very well if you're middle aged and beyond, but short of illnesses and medical conditions, your average person shouldn't look that much different at 40 than they did at 20, certainly not in body size anyway.

And I would stand by that. Of course people age and some age at different rates(sun damage, baldness etc), but I would stand by my opinion that physically there's no good reason outside of illness or a medical condition where someone, especially a man, shouldn't be the same size at 40(or 50 for that matter) as he was at 20. There's certainly no biological impediment to it. As I pointed out a mans testosterone should only be dropping by 1% per year after 30. In other words feck all. I know quite a few blokes who stayed pretty much the same size in that period. Some are fitness types, some are not, but none were/are big eaters. Hell I take the exact same clothes sizes at 48 I did at 20 and I'm no gymist type(if I was I'd be in better shape, especially internally).

And that means that facially you shouldn't look that much different as you then put in brackets "certainly not in body size".
    You phrased it that way and not me. And because you know a "few" people whose weight hasn't changed, well thats just a couple of people you know. Not exactly a real solid to go on, is it? :)
    Look, you may stand by your opinion and thats fine. Its your to have.
    But the rest of the world knows that NO-ONE either facial or in their body looks the same at 40 as they do at 20.
    They may take the same size clothes as they did. That I can agree with.
    Whats under the clothes?
    A human body that has aged 20 years ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Shabra

And that means that facially you shouldn't look that much different as you then put in brackets "certainly not in body size".
    You phrased it that way and not me. And because you know a "few" people whose weight hasn't changed, well thats just a couple of people you know. Not exactly a real solid to go on, is it? :)
    But the rest of the world knows that NO-ONE either facial or in their body looks the same at 40 as they do at 20.
    Whats under the clothes?

I'm 30 and have a better body now than at 20, and I was fairly lean and athletic at 20. The difference is I go to the gym more now and have improved my diet. I fully expect to look as well or better at 40.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

You phrased it that way and not me.
    Maybe you're hard of reading and that's fine, but I never said facially.
    And because you know a "few" people whose weight hasn't changed, well thats just a couple of people you know. Not exactly a real solid to go on, is it? :)
    It means it's doable and was more doable in days gone by, when there were fewer couch potatoes.
    Well that's a novel approach, I must say.
    Whats under the clothes?
    Nope. Try not projecting your own physical decay onto others. I hate to break it to you, but under the clothes is fine, the same as back then. If anything I've more definition in the chest(for some odd reason. And less hair on the legs, but more on the chest. Eh WTF?). Facially, I have no wrinkles, no crows feet etc yet. Still have the hair on my head, though greying. Do I look 20? Hell no, but I'm in better nick than many and anyone who hadn't seen me in 20 years wouldn't exactly get a shock.

And that's me, someone who doesn't exactly cross the thresholds of gyms. In fairness I am lucky genetically, coming from a line where the men outlive the women and hit 90+ with a smattering of century types in there too(the deal seems to be marry a good woman at least ten years your junior and have a small appetite).

As Shabra noted, with work one could improve even more. If I did have a mild stroke that made me a physical jerks gym bunny type(against my better judgment), I'd end up with a bod way better than it was at 20.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Try not projecting your own physical decay onto others.
    Do I look 20? Hell no

Hello, physical decay.

Even without wrinkles, you will look much older at 40 than 20. The skin isn't as glowing and just has a quality to it that looks much duller.

Maybe you're hard of reading and that's fine, but I never said facially. It means it's doable and was more doable in days gone by, when there were fewer couch potatoes.
    Nope. I hate to break it to you, but under the clothes is fine, the same as back then. If anything I've more definition in the chest(for some odd reason. And less hair on the legs, but more on the chest. Eh WTF?). Facially, I have no wrinkles, no crows feet etc yet. Still have the hair on my head, though greying. Do I look 20? Hell no, but I'm in better nick than many and anyone who hadn't seen me in 20 years wouldn't exactly get a shock.

And that's me, someone who doesn't exactly cross the thresholds of gyms. Im just lucky genetically, coming from a line where the men outlive the women and hit 90+ with a smattering of century types in there too(the deal seems to be marry a good woman at least ten years your junior and have a small appetite).

As Shabra noted, with work one could improve even more. If I did have a mild stroke that made me a physical jerks gym bunny type(against my better judgment), I'd end up with a bod way better than it was at 20.

Facially is implied when you say "Certainly not in body size" but as its Xmas I have no intention of arguing the point that no-one on the planet could look the same in their 40's as they do in their 20's(its a physical impossibility).
    I suggest if you know people who look like that, you are onto a goldmine selling them off to geneticists for scientific research into the ages long pursuit for the "Fountain of Youth" ;)
    I think what you mean is YOU look in your opinion, better than you did at 20.
    Good for you if you feel like that. lifes too short.
    Anyway, enjoy Xmas :)

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Hello, physical decay.

Even without wrinkles, you will look much older at 40 than 20. The skin isn't as glowing and just has a quality to it that looks much duller.
    No really? You think? That's not the issue, the issue is those who fall apart and get middle aged spread at 25, 30. And that is preventable. As I clearly said, no way in hell would I be mistaken for 20, I am the age I am and TBH wouldn't like to be thought of as younger, I've earned the years, but they sit better on me than many. And as I have said this goes triple for men. Outside of medical issues, they've feck all excuse for porking up and slacking.
    Facially is implied when you say "Certainly not in body size"
    Maybe, if english isn't your first language. Seriously, how the hell does one conflate "body size" with facial aging? No really? I think my original take of "hard of reading" may be in play here.
    but as its Xmas I have no intention of arguing the point that no-one on the planet could look the same in their 40's as they do in their 20's(its a physical impossibility).
    Drop the literalism for a second, if you can and try reading what I actually wrote.
    I suggest if you know people who look like that, you are onto a goldmine selling them off to geneticists for scientific research into the ages long pursuit for the "Fountain of Youth" ;)
    I think what you mean is YOU look in your opinion, better than you did at 20.
    Again, I didn't say that. I'm really wondering about reading ability here, or more reading what one wants to read stuff going on.
    Good for you if you feel like that. lifes too short.
    Not for me, I'll likely see the century *jinx* :D Actually life goes so damned slowly for me. When folks say "doesn't time fly" I think "I wish it did". I feel well over a hundred as it is.
    Anyway, enjoy Xmas :)
    Thanks and you too, Ted, Happy Christmas/Xmas/Festivus/Holidays/Solstice/Hanukah/Kwanzaa/Other and may you and yours be happy and healthy and ready to face the new year.

*EDIT* good example IMHO.

Do they look "20"? No, not even close. Do they look and act like pensioners? Hell no. Jagger(who I can't stand personally) is an extremely physical and healthy bloke and he's a pensioner. And you have some 25 year olds whinging about feeling old and acting old? GT everliving FO. IMHO anyway.

Shabra wrote: »
    I'm 30 and have a better body now than at 20, and I was fairly lean and athletic at 20. The difference is I go to the gym more now and have improved my diet. I fully expect to look as well or better at 40.

Better, maybe.

But at 40, you wont look 20 ;)

No really? You think? That's not the issue, the issue is those who fall apart and get middle aged spread at 25, 30. And that is preventable. As I clearly said, no way in hell would I be mistaken for 20, I am the age I am and TBH wouldn't like to be thought of as younger, I've earned the years, but they sit better on me than many. And as I have said this goes triple for men. Outside of medical issues, they've feck all excuse for porking up and slacking.

Maybe, if english isn't your first language. Seriously, how the hell does one conflate "body size" with facial aging? No really? I think my original take of "hard of reading" may be in play here. Drop the literalism for a second, if you can and try reading what I actually wrote.
    Again, I didn't say that. I'm really wondering about reading ability here, or more reading what one wants to read stuff going on.
    Not for me, I'll likely see the century *jinx* :D Actually life goes so damned slowly for me. When folks say "doesn't time fly" I think "I wish it did". I feel well over a hundred as it is.
    Thanks and you too, Ted, Happy Christmas/Xmas/Festivus/Holidays/Solstice/Hanukah/Kwanzaa/Other and may you and yours be happy and healthy and ready to face the new year.

Jeez, Wibbs..the condescension and passive aggression are palpable in the above. I does be read pefeck well dho :D:p

Age hasn't mellowed you has it? :D:P

• Advertisement

Better, maybe.

But at 40, you wont look 20 ;)
    Yep, no argument there(as if there ever was one, beyond the aspy literalism), but you can look better and far better than the nowadays all to average middle aged man and woman, never mind the podgy 25 year olds. It's actually not about trying to look 20, it's about trying to look the best 40 and 50 and 60, hell, even 70 year old you can be.

For the nerdists out there, consider Patrick Stewart. Captain of the Trekkies and all that onanistic guff, but he has stayed very stable in how he looks for most of his adult life. The man is now a pensioner and still looks pretty damned OK. And he had the baldy thing going on from a very early age. He still remained viable, alive, in the moment and he still does. IIRC his girlfriend is quite a bit younger than him. Sure the fame and all that is a biggie, a huge biggie, but he's still in the game as a pensioner.

Yep, no argument there(as if there ever was one, beyond the aspy literalism), but you can look better and far better than the nowadays all to average middle aged man and woman, never mind the podgy 25 year olds. It's actually not about trying to look 20, it's about trying to look the best 40 and 50 and 60, hell, even 70 year old you can be.

For the nerdists out there, consider Patrick Stewart. Captain of the Trekkies and all that onanistic guff, but he has stayed very stable in how he looks for most of his adult life. The man is now a pensioner and still looks pretty damned OK. And he had the baldy thing going on from a very early age. He still remained viable, alive, in the moment and he still does. IIRC his girlfriend is quite a bit younger than him. Sure the fame and all that is a biggie, a huge biggie, but he's still in the game as a pensioner.

And you don't think he has had work done?
    C'mon now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Well, all I know is I will look a helluva lot better at 40 than I did at 20. I was a real minger at 20. That bar is so low that folk with their legs dangling out of submarines have been known to easily clear it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

No really? You think? That's not the issue, the issue is those who fall apart and get middle aged spread at 25, 30. And that is preventable.

Even so, even if you look after yourself incredibly well, physical decay happens. Looking older = physical decay, no matter how much or how little you hasten it, it will happen.

Can't believe you brought up Jagger to illustrate your point, he looks absolutely dreadful, IMO, and looks every one of his years. He looks old. And ghastly. All those Stones lads do.

Age hasn't mellowed you has it? :D:P
    :D Guilty as charged S. :o:pac: Actually S, IMH that right there makes a big diff. "Mellow" too often means giving in and giving up, because it's easy. "Oh I've seen this before, therefore it's all nonsense" thinking. The curse and blessing of youth is to find oneself constantly surprised, pissed off and reactionary against what one sees as "the old way". The curse of the old is to think they know all and there's no blessing involved. Well one blessing and curse it to forget what it was to question whatever status quo was in place. They say youth is wasted on the young, I'd go further and say that middle and old age is way too often wasted on the old. Who after all should know better. Unlike the callow youth, the older have no excuses at all. Any stupidity and lack of foresight, hindsight and wisdom is theirs for the taking. The young have no such wellspring to draw from.

The older I get, the more I begin to see that the otherwise daft 1960's hippie BS may actually have a point; don't trust anyone over 30. Unless they've shown their minds are still open and open to new experiences as well as the wisdom gleaned from old experiences.

Maybe you're hard of reading and that's fine, but I never said facially. It means it's doable and was more doable in days gone by, when there were fewer couch potatoes.
    Nope. Try not projecting your own physical decay onto others. I hate to break it to you, but under the clothes is fine, the same as back then. If anything I've more definition in the chest(for some odd reason. And less hair on the legs, but more on the chest. Eh WTF?). Facially, I have no wrinkles, no crows feet etc yet. Still have the hair on my head, though greying. Do I look 20? Hell no, but I'm in better nick than many and anyone who hadn't seen me in 20 years wouldn't exactly get a shock.

And that's me, someone who doesn't exactly cross the thresholds of gyms. In fairness I am lucky genetically, coming from a line where the men outlive the women and hit 90+ with a smattering of century types in there too(the deal seems to be marry a good woman at least ten years your junior and have a small appetite).

Also, just to say this bit gave me a lol :D
    Helluva leap there Wibbs, helluva leap. :cool:

And you don't think he has had work done?
    C'mon now :D
    Maybe S, but no amount of botox and similar shíte could make him that vigourous.

:D Guilty as charged S. :o:pac: Actually S, IMH that right there makes a big diff. "Mellow" too often means giving in and giving up, because it's easy. "Oh I've seen this before, therefore it's all nonsense" thinking. The curse and blessing of youth is to find oneself constantly surprised, pissed off and reactionary against what one sees as "the old way". The curse of the old is to think they know all and there's no blessing involved. Well one blessing and curse it to forget what it was to question whatever status quo was in place. They say youth is wasted on the young, I'd go further and say that middle and old age is way too often wasted on the old. Who after all should know better. Unlike the callow youth, the older have no excuses at all. Any stupidity and lack of foresight, hindsight and wisdom is theirs for the taking. The young have no such wellspring to draw from.

The older I get, the more I begin to see that the otherwise daft 1960's hippie BS may actually have a point; don't trust anyone over 30. Unless they've shown their minds are still open and open to new experiences as well as the wisdom gleaned from old experiences.

I suppose mellow means different things to different people.
    I would use it about myself though.
    I look back at my 20yr old self and think "Jesus, you were a right pain in the ar5s" :D
    Hothead and feckless. Never faithful and careless with others emotions.
    Opinionated and rigid. Being as hot as hell got me out of a lot of trouble :D:P

Now, I embrace "Meh" :D
    If someone really boils my pi5s, instead of losing the plot and holding a grudge now I just reckon "Not worth my energy" and move on.

Mellow Wibbs...Mellow :cool:

Maybe S, but no amount of botox and similar shíte could make him that vigourous.

Ah but that's not exactly what you said though is it? :p

"he has stayed very stable in how he looks for most of his adult life. The man is now a pensioner and still looks pretty damned OK."

Looks and vitality.....2 separate things entirely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

That is just PERFECT! :D

"So this fat woman comes in, She has 3 smaller woman orbiting around her...."

Advertisement