Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No longer attracted to my girlfriend

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Smidge wrote: »
    I look back at my 20yr old self and think "Jesus, you were a right pain in the ar5s" :D
    Hothead and feckless.
    And look back on the breakthroughs, the real moves forward in human history in science and art and culture and who and what was that based upon? People being "pains in the arse".

Paul McCartney; 24, Eleanor Rigby, 54, The frog song.

TL;DR? Mellow is biege, mellow is "acceptable", mellow is death. No one made a difference by being beige. The day you're sure of your place in reality is the day you've pegged it. All that's left is to cover you with earth at some point down the line. One of the walking dead, the silage not the green grass anymore.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

People can look the same years later. I still get asked for ID and I'm not young so it is possible.

I'm reeling at the suggestion that Jagger looks good for his age. He's got energy - in the videos anyway, but I had an encounter with Mr Jagger coming out of the Westbury Hotel a few years ago, and he's a shrivelled, wizened, scrawny old man who looks like a leather shoulder bag that's been through a boil wash and a tumble dry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Jagger was never a physically attractive man. Anyone can see that.

He's supposed to be sexy though I don't see it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Someone says that Mick Jagger is/was good looking guy...

"Would ya Feck off" ( in a most Irish/Cork accent you could ever imagine )

He got swagger though.

eternal wrote: »
    He's supposed to be sexy though I don't see it myself.

He looks like he'd break a hip picking a penny off the floor. :)

Candie wrote: »
    He looks like he'd break a hip picking a penny off the floor. :)

Harry Styles is supposed to be vety influenced by Jagger's earlier look. He ain't looking too bad either.

Harry Styles is supposed to be vety influenced by Jagger's earlier look. He ain't looking too bad either.

I wouldn't give him a second glance either, but for a whole other set of reasons :)

• Advertisement

Well it's not like I think about him or anything but I was looking at his pictures and he looks alright. Better than Jagger anyway, trying to emulate the moody look I would think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

He's a normal looking lad with elaborate hair, that's it tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

I'm reeling at the suggestion that Jagger looks good for his age. He's got energy - in the videos anyway, but I had an encounter with Mr Jagger coming out of the Westbury Hotel a few years ago, and he's a shrivelled, wizened, scrawny old man who looks like a leather shoulder bag that's been through a boil wash and a tumble dry.

I know, right? :pac:

Now, admittedly, Patrick Stewart is a great example of a good-looking pensioner. But, like Smidge, I'm always suspicious of subtle cosmetic procedures. Everyone can detect the sledgehammer plastic surgery, but I reckon loads of older actors and actresses have subtle work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I don't think the OP's being shallow. People like what they like. Some people like slim girls and some girls like buff men. A friend of mine only goes out with guys who are tall. It's just your preference and if the OP's gf doesn't do it for him anymore better to say to her to lose weight ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,585 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I don't think the OP's being shallow.

I don't think so either. As you say, people like what they like, and he doesn't like what is happening. Not much he can do about that. And he seems to want to actually try and explain his feelings on it to her.

Styles can ape Jagger's look all he wants - he doesn't have even a fraction of the latter's talent to back it up, apart from a OK-ish voice, so it matters not.

Tarzana2 wrote: »

Now, admittedly, Patrick Stewart is a great example of a good-looking pensioner. But, like Smidge, I'm always suspicious of subtle cosmetic procedures. Everyone can detect the sledgehammer plastic surgery, but I reckon loads of older actors and actresses have subtle work done.

Patrick Stewart looks good for a pensioner, but he definitely still looks like a pensioner. His attraction is 90% voice anyway (and the other 10% is charisma).

There's a fair bit of wishful thinking going on about ageing amongst the gents I think, a determination to believe they get better with age in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Shabra

Now, admittedly, Patrick Stewart is a great example of a good-looking pensioner. But, like Smidge, I'm always suspicious of subtle cosmetic procedures. Everyone can detect the sledgehammer plastic surgery, but I reckon loads of older actors and actresses have subtle work done.[/QUOTE

Patrick Stewart looks good for a pensioner, but he definitely still looks like a pensioner. His attraction is 90% voice anyway (and the other 10% is charisma).

There's a fair bit of wishful thinking going on about ageing amongst the gents I think, a determination to believe they get better with age in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Now, admittedly, Patrick Stewart is a great example of a good-looking pensioner. But, like Smidge, I'm always suspicious of subtle cosmetic procedures. Everyone can detect the sledgehammer plastic surgery, but I reckon loads of older actors and actresses have subtle work done.[/QUOTE

It's called reality, if a man looks after himself shouldn't look much worse physically at 40 than 20 if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PhilBill

Everyone here should try the nightclub game known as Harpooning. Pull a girl 2x your body weight, 10 points. 100 for 3x. You have to slyly stand beside them first so your mates can estimate the difference before points are allocated! You have 20 minutes after entering the nightclub to harpoon a girl. All participants have to be notified before taking the shot so they have a visual, and so....

• Advertisement

Agreed.

Nobody can be taken seriously on self-appraisal. I'd never do it myself because, well, I'm me so I'm biased right from the start. :pac: Of course I'm going to remember the freak time I was carded going into a pub, who doesn't love an ego boost? But I know I don't even look early 20s, never mind 18. I'm 30. If someone thought I was 27, I'd think it believable, but no younger than that! But people have been deflecting away from face to body. If you didn't work out at 20 and did at 40, yeah you'll look more toned at 40. But a toned 20 year old and a toned 40 year old? No contest. And even with no wrinkles, skin just looks duller at 40, on all of us!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭Littlekittylou

She's not going to lose weight for you op. She is not going to care unless she wants to. If you really feel like that you should be with someone whose appearance matters to them as much as it does to you. I won't criticize you but i will say that you have chosen the wrong girl for you. Her looks don't matter to her as much as they do to you. You should choose a girl who lives a little more on the surface.

Even choosing someone naturally slim is not the issue i think couples need to gave an equal disinterest or interest in looks. Find a slim girl who is interested in her looks to the same degree as you are into her looks.

Shabra wrote: »
    It's called reality, if a man looks after himself shouldn't look much worse physically at 40 than 20 if at all.

Uh huh. :D

I don't know about getting better but clinicians always seem settled on the "you get worse with age" tagline. This is true and muscle deteriorates with age if (and here's the key phrase) you do nothing about it. Resistance exercise and cardio slows the rate of age related physical decline. It evens offers benefits to your unborn children through epigenetic modifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PhilBill

Missed a ' and and an 'e' there... I see you and Google have a great relationship.

lol no sorry not true ...not that older people are not attractive but definitely different. Regardless of how well you take care of yourself you will look very very different that's ok though. :)

osarusan wrote: »
    And he seems to want to actually try and explain his feelings on it to her.
    thats worse than just leaving her to be honest...if a guy was like you are too skinny now or anything i would be like yeah see ya

PhilBill wrote: »
    Missed a ' and and an 'e' there... I see you and Google have a great relationship.

Actually there's less chance of misspelling via the use of Google via the wonders of copy and paste.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Resistance exercise and cardio slows the rate of age related physical decline.

'Slows' being the key word here. You are still going to age. And look older, despite all the protestations. So "You get worse with age" still holds. You do. It's just how it is. I know there are lifestyles people choose to slow it eg. calorie restriction. The calories restriction peeps I've seen interviewed don't look any younger! Now, they might live longer, we'll have to wait and see. But look younger? Nope.

• Advertisement

lol no sorry not true ...not that older people are not attractive but definitely different. Regardless of how well you take care of yourself you will look very very different that's ok though. :)

At 30 now I have a much better body than at 20 and I was slim and athletic at twenty, I have more muscle now and less body fat.

Advertisement