Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No longer attracted to my girlfriend

Options
  • 19-12-2014 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭

My girlfriend has gained a lot of weight over the past year and I find myself less and less attracted to her. I no longer wish to have sex with her but still love her which I don't think she realises. Am I best to tell her about how I truly feel or does this sound selfish?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Dont call me Shirley

It's ok, I fancy the arse off her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I wouldn't make her the subject of an After Hours thread for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Send it this way boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

nails1 wrote: »
    My girlfriend has gained a lot of weight over the past year and I find myself less and less attracted to her. I no longer wish to have sex with her but still love her which I don't think she realises. Am I best to tell her about how I truly feel or does this sound selfish?

The clue is in the "girlfriend" bit. As opposed to "wife" or "fiance".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Just turn the lights off, problem solved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Throw flour on her and look for a wet patch, it's the easiest way OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Say to her "Lose some weight, you are beginning to look like a whale."

Women like a man who is direct and honest with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Buy her a soda stream maker. Then she is not just a girlfriend, she is a girlfriend with a soda stream maker. I bought one for my partner for Christmas and now they are 100% more attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Run away quite fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Run away quite fast.

Probably doesn't even have to be quite fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

The clue is in the "girlfriend" bit. As opposed to "wife" or "fiance".

Agree.

I'd talk to her in a calm setting (suggestion: over Christmas dinner isn't ideal :P) and ask her what's going on. I gained an enormous amount of weight and couldn't figure out why. Turned out I had hypothyroidism and once I was on the right thyroid replacement and made some dietary adjustments-the weight fell back off and I was back to my old sexy self lol . Give her a chance: she might be sick and not know it. It's a terrible illness when gone undetected but is easily remedied when it is.

Guess it comes down to whether you think she is worth the effort or not. Like: do you really love her or do you just want out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Dayum

Walk into the room and ask "Hey, Shamu...have you seen my girlfriend?"

She'll get the hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Fat chicks do more stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Why do women always start off slim?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

Probably best thing is to be honest and say you think she could make more effort to keep in shape. It will probably shock her but when it sinks in she'll probably be grateful you said it.

That said, if you're not attracted to her purely because you're bored then that's a different story. It's not fair to make her go to the trouble of exercising more and eating better if you're just going to dump her anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Welcome to the real world buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Maybe suggest to her that you both take up jogging in the new year or join a gym. She might appreciate some help in trying to get back in shape, she might not either but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Wait till after Christmas before you decide anything , someones got to eat the leftovers in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Maybe suggest to her that you both take up jogging in the new year or join a gym. She might appreciate some help in trying to get back in shape, she might not either but worth a try.

And then padlock the fridge, desperate times call for desperate measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Could be a multitude of reasons for her weight gain. The pill. PCOS. Comfort eating. Have you noticed any change in her mood. I would suggest you ask her if she's feeling okay first. Is she happy etc. Don't make this about her size. Make it about her wellbeing. If you do truly still love her then this will be your primary concern anyway. Your needs will be met when she is happy in herself.

(This is not a gender thing either. I would be giving her exactly the same advice if the tables were turned.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Am I best to tell her about how I truly feel or does this sound selfish?

Yes it would be best to lose the mangina and go talk to her about it. Rather than share it with a bunch of anonymous strangers on an internet forum. For all we know, maybe you're not the man she once knew. For all we know, you could be Jabba The Hut and maybe your girlfriend has adopted a if you can't beat them, join them attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Wait till she gets a nibble of wedding cake. Now that stuff is seriously fattening..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

I usually prefer being honest but in this case I wouldn't say anything too direct about it. Unless she is blind then she will know she has gained a lot of weight in a year. Has she spoken about the weight gain and how she feels about it?? She's probably feeling bad enough about herself as it is. There has to be a good reason for the sudden weight gain. Tread carefully and if you break it off with her over weight gain then you are doing her a favour because it's a pretty shallow reason to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Get her a gym membership for Christmas.... :D

Joking aside....You should post this in the personal issues forum but you might still get ripped apart for being a shallow **** :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

The next time she askes "does my arse look big in this?"

You should respond with "what, the room?"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The difference between a wife and a girlfriend, no doubt, is about 3 stone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Just say it to her Op. I felt my gf was putting on weight and said it to her and she began to work out more and eat better. She respected me for saying it. Id have no problem with her saying it to me. At the end of the day you want her to be healthier in mind and body.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

myshirt wrote: »
    Fat chicks do more stuff

No we don't. We just eat more than we should.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭nails1

Pwindedd wrote: »
    Could be a multitude of reasons for her weight gain. The pill. PCOS. Comfort eating. Have you noticed any change in her mood. I would suggest you ask her if she's feeling okay first. Is she happy etc. Don't make this about her size. Make it about her wellbeing. If you do truly still love her then this will be your primary concern anyway. Your needs will be met when she is happy in herself.

(This is not a gender thing either. I would be giving her exactly the same advice if the tables were turned.)

Yes the weight gain is because of comfort eating and pure laziness. She also quit smoking so this hasn't helped either in terms of extra weight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Boost her self esteem. make here a photo book of lovely pictures from when she was thin with a big opening poetic caption like, 'Roses are red, Violets are blue, You know what else they are? Not fat, like you'

Advertisement