Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis O'Brien Irelands Sinister Fringe.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Oh the shame of it! Next thing we will start to attract all sorts of mickey mouse companies like Facebook, Google, Intel, Microsoft etc. We should shoot Dinny and replace him with someone like Mick Wallace or Ming Flanagan.
    There you go if its Jibberish you are talking about and I assumed he was your mate because you are defending and calling him Dinny,only his "friends" call him Dinny.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

A 'sinister' development today as Denis O'Brien attempts to gag RTE through the High court over a planned program regarding his shady banking affairs

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/denis-obrien-seeking-high-court-injunction-against-rte-in-bid-to-prevent-report-being-broadcast-31185544.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Pocoyo wrote: »
    Denis O'Brien attempting to gag RTE through the High court over a planned program regarding his shady banking affairs

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/denis-obrien-seeking-high-court-injunction-against-rte-in-bid-to-prevent-report-being-broadcast-31185544.html

According to the article on the RTE page he has gagged them. He's one shady bloke, think its time to start going out of my way to avoid Topaz completely. He's like the guy in monopoly who holds all most of the cards on the board after dipping into the bank while no one looks.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

He's slimy alright. Too many fingers in too many pies and how he came to make his money back in the 1990s was corrupt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

JupiterKid wrote: »
    He's slimy alright. Too many fingers in too many pies and how he came to make his money back in the 1990s was corrupt.

Fine Gael have made him one very rich man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Anyone know what it was RTE might have been reporting?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Muahahaha wrote: »

Careful.. you know what happens around here when people start speculating on stuff like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

From reading the article it appears it will reveal the details of his debts to IBRC.

Apparently the RTE report will not make any allegations of wrongdoing (presumably for fear of being sued by Denis they will merely present facts and leave the viewers to reach their own conclusions).

Therefore Denis is arguing that no wrongdoing alleged means no public interest basis for RTE to disclose his personal banking affairs.

If he is successful I believe that it will be a good example of how plutocrats can use our privacy and defamation laws to run rings around the public interest and accountability.

It goes back before the court tomorrow for the judge to decide whether to grant the injunction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It goes back before the court tomorrow for the judge to decide whether to grant the injunction.

Are the legal eagles making any bets on his chances of success?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Are the legal eagles making any bets on his chances of success?

No idea. I took what I wrote from reading the article in the Indo and some reasonable assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

The Malterser should have his privacy its just the little people who had to hand over pps numbers, family details and a meter dug in front of their houses to measure water usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,736 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This latest twist aside, it really is disturbing though that a man who was found by a Tribunal to have been involved in shady dealings around the awarding of a mobile phone license continues to hold such sway over our political and legal systems, as well as the media.

The fact that no-one with any authority to do something about it (Government, AGS, DPP etc) has never actually done anything speaks volumes as to what and who actually counts in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Basically RTE are being gagged because the siteserve deal that the public are interested in isn't in the public interest. I mean I read out that sentence again and again and wonder when will this country change. Another favourite of mine is Denis built his fortune on the digicell licence. It works better in context of the sentence below.
    The Moriarty Tribunal found almost beyond doubt that O'Brien's won this contract due to payments he made to Michael Lowry, the then communications minister, who unduly influenced the bidding process.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Basically RTE are being gagged because the siteserve deal that the public are interested in isn't in the public interest. I mean I read out that sentence again and again and wonder when will this country change. Another favourite of mine is Denis built his fortune on the digicell licence. It works better in context of the sentence below.

A vote for FG is a vote for corruption,We need to see a voting registration drive pacifically aimed at younger voters or this country will never change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Sean Quinn must be kicking himself for not lining a few more nests. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

A vote is not a vote at all,
    its just an illusion. Ive seen plenty of corruption in ireland and in different continents different countries . And everyone in those countries keep saying vote different.

b0llox. it makes no difference. Decisions will be made by those with the most money.
    that is the way the world works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

20Cent wrote: »
    The Malterser should have his privacy its just the little people who had to hand over pps numbers, family details and a meter dug in front of their houses to measure water usage.

Most of those who had a problem giving their PPS numbers were those who don't go out to work for a living,the money just gets lodged in their account, whats that all about?

With us just being a couple of places above Russia which is a nation virtually run by the mafia. We have our own mafia here only they tend to dress in suits and call themselves by Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, two cheeks of the one arse at the end of the day.

Have you ever lived outside of Ireland? I have lived in countries with huge natural wealth where if you don't work then you don't get paid, no handouts. Countries where if you 'slip' in a supermarket you don't get €€€€ in compensation( a supermarket employing 40 people in an area of Limerick that needs jobs is shutting down because of such 'slips & [EMAIL="falls'@poo"]falls'[/EMAIL] ) I could go on and type a 50 line post on this but the bottom line is there are some people here who haven't a clue how well off and lucky we are in this country.

Have you ever lived outside of Ireland? I have lived in countries with huge natural wealth where if you don't work then you don't get paid, no handouts. Countries where if you 'slip' in a supermarket you don't get €€€€ in compensation( a supermarket employing 40 people in an area of Limerick that needs jobs is shutting down because of such 'slips & falls' ) I could go on and type a 50 line post on this but the bottom line is there are some people here who haven't a clue how well off and lucky we are in this country.
    So because all this goes on in your angry world we let little Denis with his sinister fringe a free pass to do what he wants without question and we pay for it?

tipptom wrote: »
    So because all this goes on in your angry world we let little Denis with his sinister fringe a free pass to do what he wants without question and we pay for it?

What exactly are you suggesting? Do you think O'Brien should pull all his interests in Ireland with the loss of thousands of jobs?

• Advertisement

What exactly are you suggesting? Do you think O'Brien should pull all his interests in Ireland with the loss of thousands of jobs?
    He will do what he wants in his own interests,
    Ireland should not be held to ransom because of threats and it should maintain at all times that the taxpayer is not being shafted no matter how well connected he is.
    Michael Noonan said there was "nothing to see here,move on", years ago about this deal when that was clearly not the case and he admits that now.
    Catherine Murphy and others outside of FG have indeed done the state some service in pressing on with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

He can be easily replaced, preferably by someone or a company that doesn't send all profits out of the country to avoid tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Most of those who had a problem giving their PPS numbers were those who don't go out to work for a living,the money just gets lodged in their account, whats that all about?

The guy who wrote this has a job. Its from September.

http://www.corkindependent.com/20140910/news/water-you-doing-with-my-pps-S90657.html
    There's a very famous book you might have heard of. It was first published in 1936 by a man called Dale Carnegie, and came out again in the 1980s. It was called 'How to Win Friends and Influence People'.
    I'm thinking of buying a copy for the bosses at Irish Water.
    The new utility, a subsidiary of Bord Gais, is a semi-state body - but its critics insists its a private company, that will eventually be sold off for a profit thus fully privatising our water supply, costing us a fortune in the long run.
    Whether that is a legitimate concern, or just another tinfoil hat conspiracy theory about the 'corporate takeover' of society, I don't know, but what I do know is that Irish Water needs to explain something - and explain it soon.
    Why do they want PPS numbers for me, my wife and my children?
    On the Opinion Line on Tuesday, I interviewed Darragh O'Brien from Castlebridge Associates, an expert in Data Protection law, who told me that Irish Water are certainly entitled to ask for my PPS under Social Welfare law.
    However, our conversation left an unanswered question or two.
    Irish Water's explanation is that in order to correctly calculate how much I'm going to have to pay them, they want to be able to assess what allowances we as a family are entitled to.
    I confess, I was buying that explanation, until I looked a little deeper into it.
    A caller on the show later in the morning, reminded me that electricity, gas and telephone service providers also take allowances into account, such as free units or free line rental for welfare recipients.
    However, none of them ask for your PPS number. If you are entitled to something under a household benefit package, for example, the service provider can check that with the Department.
    In other words, they don't need your PPS number at all, to do what Irish Water claims it needs it to do. So what's going on? Why does the company really want that information. I confess, it's hard not to be suspicious.
    Deirdre, our Opinion Line editor, has now sent Irish Waters press office a lengthy email, inviting the company to put forward somebody who can take that question - and a few others - about its need for personal data.
    As I write, there hasn't yet been a reply, but that might have changed before you get to read your Cork Independent today. We're certainly planning to stay across this one, as the Irish Water 'data packs' arrive in the post.
    Our key question? What is it exactly that Irish Water needs our PPS for? Why can't they get details of our allowances and entitlements in the same way other service providers are happy to do?
    What is going on with my personal data? Why is it necessary?
    One sure way of not winning friends and failing to influence people is to adopt the attitude of "We want it."
    Why? "Because we do." That won't work.
    One of the things that Dale Carnegie said, in his famous book that I mentioned earlier, is that you should explain clearly and simply what you want and give people a fair opportunity to respond.
    Well, unless Irish Water can explain very clearly and simply, why it is that they want my PPSN, what they intend to do with it, who will have access to it and how securely it will be stored, I've come to a decision.
    They can sing for it.

20Cent wrote: »
    He can be easily replaced, preferably by someone or a company that doesn't send all profits out of the country to avoid tax.
    That doesn't send Ireland shooting up a world corruption scale all on his own aided and abetted by a gombeen taosaigh standing alongside him on the rostrum of the NYSE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Have you ever lived outside of Ireland? I have lived in countries with huge natural wealth where if you don't work then you don't get paid

Porkies. You still haven't left home i'd say. Living in the Fine Gael bubble.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Um, do people who work still get cash in hand these days or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Jimmy Saville kept a lot people in employment at the BBC and he did a lot of charity work.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

So the RTE programme on DOBs financial affairs can't go ahead, due to the High Court case this morning being adjourned till the end of the month!

IBRC have also applied for an injunction against RTE.

Nothing to see here folks, move along....Vote fine Gael, tis a grand wee country....Uncle Dinny is a great man so he is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Have you ever lived outside of Ireland? I have lived in countries with huge natural wealth where if you don't work then you don't get paid, no handouts. Countries where if you 'slip' in a supermarket you don't get €€€€ in compensation( a supermarket employing 40 people in an area of Limerick that needs jobs is shutting down because of such 'slips & falls' ) I could go on and type a 50 line post on this but the bottom line is there are some people here who haven't a clue how well off and lucky we are in this country.

Spoofer. Tesco, Lidl and the "booming"™ economy shut that place down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Man what a fúcking joke - should get our important news stories published outside of Ireland, so the legal system here can't be exploited/abused, to silence critics.

Advertisement