Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis O'Brien Irelands Sinister Fringe.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,599 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm questioning your motives :) It's pretty obvious your, and others posters motive, for 'questioning the motives' of DOB critics, is to play down criticism of him and defend cronyism.

No, it's to annoy begrudgers like yourself. That's brass tax isn't it. It doesn't have to be O'Brien. You just don't like people with money, end of. Your world would presumably see equality - in poverty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

No, it's to annoy begrudgers like yourself. That's brass tax isn't it. It doesn't have to be O'Brien. You just don't like people with money, end of. Your world would presumably see equality - in poverty.
    Good luck convincing anybody, that trying to overtake a topic criticizing DOB, by accusing everyone criticizing him of being 'begrudgers' (in among others mounting an outright/open defense of cronyism) - just because they happen to be criticizing DOB - isn't you (and others) trying to defend DOB.

I'm not convinced, and highly doubt others will be - I find it laughable to be honest, that you'd try to deny that, given how lame and obvious a defense you and others are trying to mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,599 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

trying to defend DOB.

I have not seen anyone "defend" DOB - what are we suppose to be defending him from?

If there is something wrong have an inquiry and then we'll know. You just don't like him because you don't like anyone who is rich. That's the root of your motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I have not seen anyone "defend" DOB - what are we suppose to be defending him from?

If there is something wrong have an inquiry and then we'll know. You just don't like him because you don't like anyone who is rich. That's the root of your motivation.

I love rich people. They're much more fun than the usual miserable bet-down dirtbirds you have to put up with. What I don't like is rich people who become so by diddling my tax money with the help of various Good Buddies and shysters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

If there is something wrong have an inquiry and then we'll know.

jesus i nearly spat my coffee out at that :D

lets get kpmg to investigate something they're up to their necks in!

"and then we'll know"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Whats wrong with Denis, look at how many people he's employing around the country.

I just wish I could stop reading the thread title as 'Denis O'Brien Ireland Sisters Fridge'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Denis, look at how many people he's employing around the country.
    Yeah, employing FG alone must be costing him a fortune. Ba-dum-tish!
    Candie wrote: »
    I just wish I could stop reading the thread title as 'Denis O'Brien Sisters Fridge'.
    I still keep thinking of a scary hair thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

humanji wrote: »
    Yeah, employing FG alone must be costing him a fortune. Ba-dum-tish!...

Oh well-hoofed, chief! :pac::pac::pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭kidneyfan

O'Brien bribed a government minister in his own country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

yea poor old dennis, no motives at all. purely altruistic.

listen, it wouldnt make a difference if he employed the entire country. he does it as a means to forcing his own political will onto a party that accept large donations from him, he is influencing democracy for his own personal bank account (and ego no doubt).

if you agree with what dennis is allowed to do, then im sure you're ok with the influence of wall street or the MIC (haliburton et all) in washington? while the outcome in the US may lead to unending war to suit the poilitical paymasters, the concept of what happens is the same. maybe dennis could get trigger happy one day and try to push us into a war with wales ;)

No, it's to annoy begrudgers like yourself.

It is refreshingly honest when a poster admits his only reason for taking a position is to annoy others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

BenEadir wrote: »
    I am not particularly interested one way or another in DOB. The tribunal concluded he bribed Lowry or at least did favours for Lowry which resulted in Lowry making a biased decision when awarding the 2nd GSM licence. Fair enough, it's not good practice and not something I'd condone but it happens in all walks of life in every country in the world. People bend and break the rules to win. Whether it's a footballer diving to win a penalty which wins them the match, an electrician doing nixers for cash or more pedantic stuff like people parking on double yellow lines or being served alcohol after closing time. We all break the rules for our own benefit from time to time depending on the game we are playing. In the case of DOB the game was bigger so the rule breaking was bigger but it wasn't deemed serious enough to be prosecuted.

It's a bit like the guy who asks a girl if she'll sleep with him for €1,000,000. She thinks about it for a second and says she will. He then asks her if she'll sleep with him for €1 and she gets upset and asks him what the hell he thinks she is to which he responds "We've established what you are, now we're just arguing over the price" ;)

The people who are all up in arms over DOB are throwing stones in glass houses. Every one of us has in the past and continue to break rules and laws we're supposed to adhere to. DOB simply did it better than the rest and got away with it. That's what's really pi$$ing everyone off.

I still don't condone it though and would prefer to see stronger processes etc in place to prevent the opportunity for such things to happen again in the future.

You're so right - we'd all engage in large national scale corruption if we could....and I've been so judgemental...

*sniff....I'm crying now....crying with shame....I'm sorry Mr O'Brien, so so sorry

employing or "employing"? Certainly he keeps a few solicitors going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Did anyone catch Vincent Brown last night? The level of uncomfort from the panel as they discussed his business deals was kind of eerie in a way.

smash wrote: »
    Did anyone catch Vincent Brown last night? The level of uncomfort from the panel as they discussed his business deals was kind of eerie in a way.

People who discuss Dinny have been known to be found lying in the street the next day, covered in a thousand paper cuts caused by flying solicitors letters.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Nodin wrote: »
    People who discuss Dinny have been known to be found lying in the street the next day, covered in a thousand paper cuts caused by flying solicitors letters.....
    They ever read some of the cease and desist letter that he's issued. Does the guy have dirt on everyone in the government or something? I can't see how he gets the contracts that he gets.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

He's the man who established that our international business practices are based on corruption. Why are people defending him? Do you know how backward it makes us look as a country?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

steddyeddy wrote: »
    He's the man who established that our international business practices are based on corruption. Why are people defending him? Do you know how backward it makes us look as a country?

Oh the shame of it! Next thing we will start to attract all sorts of mickey mouse companies like Facebook, Google, Intel, Microsoft etc. We should shoot Dinny and replace him with someone like Mick Wallace or Ming Flanagan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,518 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Why is there such pathological hatred in Ireland toward anyone with money? That's what a lot of this comes down to. Begrudgery.

I've nothing against people with money. Indeed some of my best friends have money.
    If however they came into it or increased their wealth at the detriment of me (ie "the state") without fair and proper procedures being followed I have something against them.
    I've seen many deals done in the past 7 years that are suspect to say the least and deserve some level of investigation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,636 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Saw that. But given Denis O'Brien has now sent over seventy threatening legal letters to journalists it isn't that surprising- Irelands defamation laws are set up to protect the rich and he is very rich indeed. The only journalist to face him down over his legal threats is Vincent Browne himself.

Motorola laid off 700 Irish workers when the pulled out of Ireland, a decision taken partly because of their fury at having spent millions pursuing the second mobile phone licence only to later find that the state had run a corrupt process of which DOB was a central part. So from that respect he has cost us jobs. More than that- Motorola and several other firms are now suing the State for running a corrupt process so when they win the whole debacle will have cost the taxpayer (i.e. you and I) a shed load of cash that would have been better spent on schools, hospitals, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Motorola laid off 700 Irish workers when the pulled out of Ireland, a decision taken partly because of their fury at having spent millions pursuing the second mobile phone licence only to later find that the state had run a corrupt process of which DOB was a central part. So from that respect he has cost us jobs. More than that- Motorola and several other firms are now suing the State for running a corrupt process so when they win the whole debacle will have cost the taxpayer (i.e. you and I) a shed load of cash that would have been better spent on schools, hospitals, etc

Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

No doubt the position of Denis's cheerleaders, whether in INM or on Boards or wherever, would be that the begrudgers who organised a vindictive witchhunt of Ireland's Greatest Ever Businessman and Philanthropist (TM) actually bear responsibility for the consequences you mention. Obviously we all should have put on the green jersey and rallied behind him.

Jesus wept.

great point, ignore the facts when they dont suit your agenda

Here's the full episode, just watching it now (start at 5m):
    http://content.tv3.ie/content/videos/0724/vinb_apr24_3player_1_92664.mp4

Think he was reacting in agreement/surprise :) (thanked post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

I was expressing shock not disbelief. Read my previous posts. I honestly did not know the Motorola story.

EDIT:

I *suppose* that's kind of what the thanks button is for.

No chance of Motorola suing individuals is there?

No doubt the position of Denis's cheerleaders, whether in INM or on Boards or wherever, would be that the begrudgers who organised a vindictive witchhunt of Ireland's Greatest Ever Businessman and Philanthropist (TM) actually bear responsibility for the consequences you mention. Obviously we all should have put on the green jersey and rallied behind him.

But it's Dinny, you know, sure he stole the eye out of our heads and picks up fierce bargains whenever FG and Phil Hogan hold power. Sure he's a gas man and a rogue but we love him. Tis only the begrudgers what complain about corruption. And didn't he give 0.001% of his money back to the soccer manager? Would you not shout olé olé and wave a plastic hammer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

But it's Dinny, you know, sure he stole the eye out of our heads and picks up fierce bargains whenever FG and Phil Hogan hold power. Sure he's a gas man and a rogue but we love him. Tis only the begrudgers what complain about corruption. And didn't he give 0.001% of his money back to the soccer manager? Would you not shout olé olé and wave a plastic hammer?

You forgot to mention that his critics are all jealous of anyone with money and are a mob of Shinner paedos.

Advertisement