Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis O'Brien Irelands Sinister Fringe.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

When is the much awaited court case by the failed bidders for ESAT likely to take place.
    I see that as the acid test.
    Proof in a court of law that corruption took place?
    If the failed bidders don't file, it means they lack the proof.

If the failed bidders don't file, it means they lack the proof.

No it doesn't.

It could mean any number of things. First and foremost that we the State may not be liable for the corruption of FG, Lowry or Denis O'Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

But if corruption did take place what effect will that have on the license?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

steddyeddy wrote: »
    But if corruption did take place what effect will that have on the licence?

If you or I got something by illegal or corrupt means it would rightly be taken off us.
    Can you see any of our morallly upstanding leaders advocating that, in the event of this being proven?

W
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    If you or I got something by illegal or corrupt means it would rightly be taken off us.
    Can you see any of our morallly upstanding leaders advocating that, in the event of this being proven?

What baffles me is the fact that someone implicated in a tribunal as bring corrupt was awarded another government license. Despite the fact he wasn't the highest bidder. I mean you would have to be thick as pigsh1t to assume no money is changing hands elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

W

What baffles me is the fact that someone implicated in a tribunal as bring corrupt was awarded another government license. Despite the fact he wasn't the highest bidder. I mean you would have to be thick as pigsh1t to assume no money is changing hands elsewhere.

When your fine Gaels sugar daddy, anything is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

W

He and his actions are caught in FG's moral blindspot. Have some sympathy, they will get around to open and tranparent government eventualy, if you re-elect them, get with the programme steddyeddy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,635 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

When your fine Gaels sugar daddy, anything is possible.

FG are claiming to have a multi million war chest to fight the next election. I look forward to their transparency on where it came from

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

bump for monday morning updates hopefully more foi info comes to light .

fair play catherine murphy with her great work -:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Now Denis is getting mentioned in US media coverage of Hillary Clinton and allegedly suspicious correlations between donations to her charity and favourable outcomes from the State Department for those who donated.

Denis specifically pops up due to Digicel receiving a lucrative US awarded contract to provide a mobile-money service in post earthquake Haiti, which is noteworthy as he donated $5 to $10 million to the Clinton foundation since its launch. He certainly has form in this area.

I recall that he successfully sued a journalist for defamation here in Ireland after he dared to suggest that Denis's philanthropic efforts in Haiti may not have been entirely selfless.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gifts-to-hillary-clintons-family-charity-are-scrutinized-in-wake-of-book-1429754883

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭LadyAthame

Now Denis is getting mentioned in US media coverage of Hillary Clinton and allegedly suspicious correlations between donations to her charity and favourable outcomes from the State Department for those who donated.

Denis specifically pops up due to Digicel receiving a lucrative US awarded contract to provide a mobile-money service in post earthquake Haiti, which is noteworthy as he donated $5 to $10 million to the Clinton foundation since its launch. He certainly has form in this area.

I recall that he successfully sued a journalist for defamation here in Ireland after he dared to suggest that Denis's philanthropic efforts in Haiti may not have been entirely selfless.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/gifts-to-hillary-clintons-family-charity-are-scrutinized-in-wake-of-book-1429754883

Irish defamation laws are quite different to American laws and their press is more powerful. It will be interesting.

It really would make our courts look silly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Lt J.R. Bell

LadyAthame wrote: »
    Irish defamation laws are quite different to American laws and their press is more powerful. It will be interesting.

It really would make our courts look silly.

Leaving aside Dinny, considering American Press are allowed to say almost anything without foundation ; Presidential Elections, that comic book National Inquirer.... Maybe it's a good thing we have strong Defamation laws

W

Now now, let us not speak ill of St Dinny.He is being persecuted too much.lol

Fun fact no.1: Haiti ranks 161st out of 175 countries on Transparency Internationals 2014 Index of Corruption.
    Fun fact no.2: A majority of countries where Denis O'Briens Digicel operates are ranked amongst the most corrupt countries in the world, according to the Index of Corruption 2014

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Fun fact no.1: Haiti ranks 161st out of 175 countries on Transparency Internationals 2014 Index of Corruption.
    Fun fact no.2: A majority of countries where Denis O'Briens Digicel operates are ranked amongst the most corrupt countries in the world, according to the Index of Corruption 2014

And it all started here with himself and he's fine gael buddy's!

Never thought I'd say it, but there looking as bad as Fianna fail for pulling strokes!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Fun fact no.3:Dinny bumped Ireland up the rankings of the index of corruption after the tribunal findings all on his own,another fine contribution by Dinny to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

tipptom wrote: »
    Fun fact no.3:Dinny bumped Ireland up the rankings of the index of corruption after the tribunal findings all on his own,another fine contribution by Dinny to Ireland.

Fun fact number 4, after getting a €100m taxpayer funded haircut to acquire siteserv, and a €5m under the counter payment to the shareholders.

Dennis replaced Brian Harvey (the then CEO) with Sean Corkery,.

(Sean Corkery previously of ESAT)

Another thing that has come out of this and another indication of the cronyism that is hardly mentioned(mind you we are so used to it now) is Michael Noonans fellow county man in the dept of finance demanding that he be put on the IBRC board twice and how it lead to all this unpleasantness between IBRC and the dept of Finance and the current and ex ministers that blew this back up.

The pigs are starting to devour each other at the trough.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

DOB will probably buy out Boards.ie just to get the dissent here quelled

DOB will probably buy out Boards.ie just to get the dissent here quelled

No point having all that money if you can't buy power

If you were that rich, would you tolerate peasants mouthing off?

• Advertisement

Noonan being filleted over this o Sean o Rourke now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The 'index of corruption' ? Is that something dreamed up by Paul Murphy or that spoofer Niall Boylan on classic hits?

The 'index of corruption' ? Is that something dreamed up by Paul Murphy or that spoofer Niall Boylan on classic hits?

No, its run by Transparency International, a well respected NGO in the domain of political corruption.

In other news Ireland is ranked on a scale of open government and transparency as being amongst the worst in the entire EU, ranked alongside Greece and Hungary and just above Russia

http://www.finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1028768.shtml
    The UK government is the most open and transparent in the world, according to a global rankings on the basis of public access to official data. Ireland and Greece at a 31 ranking are among the lowest in Europe with Hungary at 33 - the lowest of all European countries including Russia.

The US and Sweden come second and third in the rankings while France and new Zealand tied for fourth place. Mali, Haiti and Myanmar, also known as Burma, are at the bottom of the table.

You only need to look at this Siteserv debacle and how Noonan, Kenny et al have tried to obfuscate in the Dail to cover it up is part of the reason why Ireland can claim Russia and Greece as a bedfellow when it comes to transparancy and open government.

Yea,ask your mate about them and why he was trying to sue such a "mythical non existent" corruption watchdog then.

You wannabe Bill Cullen apprentices need to get out more.

Yea,ask your mate about them and why he was trying to sue such a "mythical non existent" corruption watchdog then.

You wannabe Bill Cullen apprentices need to get out more.

Maybe you should say clearly whats on your mind instead of talking gibberish.

That's it ,lash out at someone who tried to educate your ignorance and you being a big captain of finance and all,tsk tsk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Funny how absolutely everybody here besides you can understand what he said. Would point to the problem not lying with what he posted TBH.

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Funny how absolutely everybody here besides you can understand what he said. Would point to the problem not lying with what he posted TBH.

OK then explain to me what he meant about me 'asking my mate' ? and 'wannabe Bill Cullen aprentices'

All this talk of fixing our economy means nothing if we are viewed as being on par with Greece.

• Advertisement

All this talk of fixing our economy means nothing if we are viewed as being on par with Greece.

With us just being a couple of places above Russia which is a nation virtually run by the mafia. We have our own mafia here only they tend to dress in suits and call themselves by Fianna Fail and Fine Gael, two cheeks of the one arse at the end of the day.

Advertisement