Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Denis O'Brien Irelands Sinister Fringe.

Options
  • 13-12-2014 12:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

A bilionaire known as 'Uncle Denis' to Enda Kenny and Fine Gael. He doesnt even pay tax in ireland hes a tax exile hiding his money money in malta.

Awarded over priced contracts by the government at the tax payer expense even though cheaper contracts were available. (O'Briens GMC SIERRA won meter contract even though siemens were 50 Million euro cheaper)

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/siemens-cheaper-water-meter-offer-snubbed-by-minister-hogan-26845507.html

Proven bribery of FG TD to win mobile phone contract (Moriarty Tribunal)

''In 1995, Denis O'Brien was head of one of six corporations looking for the lucrative second Irish mobile phone operator's licence. When he was chosen to receive the license, there was major controversy as he was suspected of bribing Fine Gael government TD and Minister for Communications Michael Lowry. The license procurement, which ultimately made O'Brien one of the richest men in Ireland, was proven to be corrupt in an investigation by the Moriarty Tribunal, where it was proven that;[32]

O'Brien gave substantial sums of money to Fine Gael in order to make friends with people in the party.
    Denis O’Brien, or persons close to him, subsequently sought to give large amounts of money to Michael Lowry.
    Michael Lowry, in return, sought to be involved to a greater degree in the licensing process, seeking information about it on a number of occasions and influencing the decision and selection process in Esat's favour.''

Received 300m euro debt write off by the state after bank crash.

http://news-beacon-ireland.info/?p=18825

Owns over 40 Irish news papers including many radio stations.

Independent,Herald,Sunday world,Newstalk106,98fm the list goes on.

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCgQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thejournal.ie%2Firish-media-ownership-public-interest-denis-o-brien-1821594-Dec2014%2F&ei=OyCMVM2TIcyf7gaF6YCwDg&usg=AFQjCNFSiV5zVL-nYO2OVnT_0bbckHAEJg&sig2=3Nc0Wd1ayb-wBrDtsRraYg&bvm=bv.81828268,d.ZGU

The government and journalist groups have found that this man has too much media power and is using it to forward his corrupt ambitions.

This man has been a parasite sucking the blood out of this country while using his media outlets to attack the public of late,Grannies,kids and working people have been called dissidents and sinister by this power crazed man,Its time to boycott his businesses until he goes away. Dont forget Topaz. ;)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

fringe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Thanks for reminding me.

I need some diesel.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

I never liked his fringe either, should get a different barber

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Don't fall under that massive chip .........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Thought he lived in Malta?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Tldr. Actually, I did read it and wish I hadn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,818 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On further reading of the OP.....

You'd hardly begrudge him a €300 debt write off, surely?

Also, are there 40 newspapers in Ireland :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Who knows what that evil bastard keeps in his fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,671 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

He plays it cool alright :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What's the point of ops rant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Meh, he's a smart businessman and I don't begrudge him for what he's done; I'd probably have done the same stuff he's done if I knew it would make me ridiculously rich.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Reminds me, I must defrust my frindge tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I worked for topaz for a few months. Nice place to work apart from a few gowls

• Registered Users Posts: 6,190 ✭✭✭emo72

Is he some sort of megalomaniac? Wakes up every morning "I need more power and money". Maybe if FG enact slavery for him then we could just get it over with " Yes sah, mastah Denis sah!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

He's also bought the Esso Garages around Ireland this week.

Wonder which one of he's political mates hell appoint to the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

If you google image Dennis O'Brien you will notice he is rocking a justin bieber style hair flick. Is this the "sinister fringe" that is often spoken of? Does it influence Dennis in his business decisions? Have I drank too much coffee this morning? Maybe, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

Am i the only one who read it as sinister fridge

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

An application was lodged with Wicklow Co Council recently to hollow out the Great Sugarloaf to become O'Briens mountain fortress.

All of Ireland's water will be contained underneath to be sold from pumps at Topaz stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

An application was lodged with Wicklow Co Council recently to hollow out the Great Sugarloaf to become O'Briens mountain fortress.

All of Ireland's water will be contained underneath to be sold from pumps at Topaz stations.

Not very funny I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Let him build a Nuclear Power Plant in Bray and he can become Monty Burns.

• Advertisement

Not very funny I'm afraid.

No its not..... Its deadly true.

It would be a volcano but for Ireland's lack of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

All ''hilarious' responses. Joking on the way to the gallows.
    In 1983 90% of the US media was controlled by 50 corporations. In 2014, it was 6. If anyone thinks that concentrating the power of the media into limited hands will not in some way interfere down the road with their democracy, their culture, their society, then away with them like lambs...

Denis O Brien knows very well that water is the new oil. In the not too distant future water will be traded as a global commodity. It is a scarce and dwindling resource, mainly because of our utter idiocy in allowing it to b polluted (largely by huge corporations who frack into it, spill oil into it, offrun fertiliser and chemicals into it via their minions who purchase it, and so on.

No single person should have such power concentrated into their hands. It is totalitarian corporatism.

But laugh away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Why would he live in a volcano? The gas and hear would kill him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I see a James Bond scenario developing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

The Siemens deal had a lower € amount. But it wasn't cheaper. It would have given them control of maintenance for Irish Water. With Ireland's ****ty piped network that maintenance contract would have been worth much much more over the next 20-50 years. The government (And all future governments) would have been stuck with a foreign company raking it in for 'maintaining' a network that needs replacing.

I think your post is more about cherry picking facts rather than telling the whole truth.

I see a James Bond scenario developing.

Its apt.

He is the pantomime villain of Ireland today.

All ''hilarious' responses. Joking on the way to the gallows.
    In 1983 90% of the US media was controlled by 50 corporations. In 2014, it was 6. If anyone thinks that concentrating the power of the media into limited hands will not in some way interfere down the road with their democracy, their culture, their society, then away with them like lambs...

Denis O Brien knows very well that water is the new oil. In the not too distant future water will be traded as a global commodity. It is a scarce and dwindling resource, mainly because of our utter idiocy in allowing it to b polluted (largely by huge corporations who frack into it, spill oil into it, offrun fertiliser and chemicals into it via their minions who purchase it, and so on.

No single person should have such power concentrated into their hands. It is totalitarian corporatism.

But laugh away :)

Jaysus a genuine post. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Dean0088 wrote: »
    The Siemens deal had a lower € amount. But it wasn't cheaper. It would have given them control of maintenance for Irish Water. With Ireland's ****ty piped network that maintenance contract would have been worth much much more over the next 20-50 years. The government (And all future governments) would have been stuck with a foreign company raking it in for 'maintaining' a network that needs replacing.

I think your post is more about cherry picking facts rather than telling the whole truth.
    But he did get a €50 million write down on the price of SiteServ from the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

El Weirdo wrote: »
    But he did get a €50 million write down on the price of SiteServ from the government.

So your entire response to me torpedoing the "but Siemens was cheaper" issue is to ignore it, and aim for another issue which is itself (once again) incorrect.

It wasn't a writedown for him. He bought a company that the government wanted rid of and only did so on the condition that he wouldn't be taking on IBRC (Anglo) debt. You don't get to be as rich as O' Brian by buying other peoples debt - particularly not when you can leverage your position of strength (ie. wealth). He'd of been an idiot to take on IBRC debt that wasn't his.

I've no doubt that O'Brian is pally with the government and other individuals in power. But lets stick to facts instead of tabloid headlines.

Would you, with your business cap on, buy a company with millions of debt when you're in a position to use leverage to force the seller to get rid of the debt prior to the sale going through? Would you fcuk.

I'll begrudge corruption (which DOB may well be), but I won't begrudge business smarts or covet success gained by another.

• Advertisement

Dean0088 wrote: »
    So your entire response to me torpedoing the "but Siemens was cheaper" issue is to ignore it, and aim for another issue which is itself (once again) incorrect.

It wasn't a writedown for him. He bought a company that the government wanted rid of and only did so on the condition that he wouldn't be taking on IBRC (Anglo) debt. You don't get to be as rich as O' Brian by buying other peoples debt - particularly not when you can leverage your position of strength (ie. wealth). He'd of been an idiot to take on IBRC debt that wasn't his.

I've no doubt that O'Brian is pally with the government and other individuals in power. But lets stick to facts instead of tabloid headlines.

Would you, with your business cap on, buy a company with millions of debt when you're in a position to use leverage to force the seller to get rid of the debt prior to the sale going through? Would you fcuk.

I'll begrudge corruption (which DOB may well be), but I won't begrudge business smarts or covet success gained by another.

**** your business smarts.

Advertisement