Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Innocence & Experience Tour 2015 (Dublin and Belfast gigs confirmed, post #275)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I've been following their gigs and they're absolutely kicking ass most nights. Yeah they are playing a lot of hits, but come on, they are U2, they have to play their super hits.

But to counter that they have played rarities like Two hearts beat as One, and Gloria, for the first time in over 20 years.

They have also played almost all of the current album live as well as tracks from the deluxe version(lucifer's hands and crystal ballroom and Invisible) and in between (ordinary love).

I think they've gotten the setlist almost spot on.

Sure I would prefer them to play Zooropa and POP back to back but that is never gonna happen with a band of their scale. They have to try and please the masses and the hardcore.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

lertsnim wrote: »
    You think this only happens in Ireland? You are wrong if you do.

I think its worse in Ireland than anywhere else, particularly the US or South American concerts. Ive met several American people who saw the Slane DVD and thought Irish fans must be amazing. Then they went to Croke Park and couldnt believe how boring it was, basically 80,000 people standing with their arms folded for 2 hours. The only people who make any bit of atmosphere are the throngs of foreigners who follow them around Europe.

Plus Croke Park is a terrible venue especially with that bloody residence association preventing them from playing too loud or too long. They would still easily sell out three nights in Croke Pk if they wanted, hopefully they won't.

We always seem to get a raw deal in Ireland. They couldn't do the full 360 show in Ireland cos of something to do with the way Croker was designed. Now they can't bring the proper I+E show because the 3 arena is too small!

It's great to see them still being innovative and creative at this stage of their career. This has been their best received tour since Elevation and by the sounds of it one of the their best ever. It's just a pity they aren't able to back up the production with incredible new songs like they used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

weadick wrote: »
    I think its worse in Ireland than anywhere else, particularly the US or South American concerts. Ive met several American people who saw the Slane DVD and thought Irish fans must be amazing. Then they went to Croke Park and couldnt believe how boring it was, basically 80,000 people standing with their arms folded for 2 hours. The only people who make any bit of atmosphere are the throngs of foreigners who follow them around Europe.

Plus Croke Park is a terrible venue especially with that bloody residence association preventing them from playing too loud or too long. They would still easily sell out three nights in Croke Pk if they wanted, hopefully they won't.

We always seem to get a raw deal in Ireland. They couldn't do the full 360 show in Ireland cos of something to do with the way Croker was designed. Now they can't bring the proper I+E show because the 3 arena is too small!
    Wouldn't agree with much of that weadick, I saw them at the Fleetcentre in Boston a few years back and the atmosphere at that was a lot quieter than in Ireland. Would actually say quite the oppositte about US fans, far more likely to be sitting in their seats for the bulk of the show.

Easily sell out 3 nights? Tickets for 360 were still on sale on Ticketmaster on the day.

And with regards not getting the whole show, whatever pyrotechnics and giant screens they bring wouldn't really bother me, so long as the lads are giving it socks on stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Crazy talk.

Irish and Scottish crowds are great, second only the South American (Argentina in particular).

Yank crowds are much more reserved!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Easily sell out 3 nights? Tickets for 360 were still on sale on Ticketmaster on the day.

For all 3 shows? Red Zone tickets were available for ridiculous money for all 3 shows but Friday and Saturday GA and seated tickets were all sold out. There were a few left for the Monday night gig (seated).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,635 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

nm wrote: »
    Crazy talk.

Irish and Scottish crowds are great, second only the South American (Argentina in particular).

Spanish crowds are nuts. As are Italians. Saw U2 in Rome on the Vertigo tour and it was batsh1t crazy.

We just have sh1tty venues here for big gigs. Croker, Aviva, Slane, 02. All sh1t. Like really sh1t.

Also the organisers and security usually seem to think there are 40,000 members of ISIS attending judging how they treat people. And our ticket prices are fcuking extortionate.

Agree with the poster above/other page. Book in advance, put a few quid aside and make a weekend of it and go see them somewhere else if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

The Nal wrote: »
    Spanish crowds are nuts. As are Italians. Saw U2 in Rome on the Vertigo tour and it was batsh1t crazy.
    Just out of interest, what is a batsh1t crazy crowd?

Sit attentively listening to songs? Sing along to songs? Dance a lot? Dress in fancy dress?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

U2 have sold out every date on their world tour except the last gig in London.
    They are playing multiple night in the biggest arenas.

As much as it has become cool to not like U2, their popularity is in no danger IMO. They would sell out a run of concerts in Dublin in a matter of seconds!

The setlist on this tour would be recognisably to almost everyone in attendance I would have thought, It is mostly the greatest hits mixed with nearly all of the new album. There is usually one or two rare-ish choices.

As stated earlier in 1992 /1993 U2 were a different animal, Achtung Baby was the new album which is their very best imo, perfect from start to finish, with the exception of "tryin' to throw you're arms around the world", and this was off the back of The Joshua Tree! They were on an all time high musically and creatively!

Having said all that, I think the current setlist looks great!
    No doubt things will be shaken up for Europe, which will add a few surprises!

I wonder will they change much for Europe? Part of me hopes they don't cos it looks great so far.

I wonder will the piece about the Dublin bombings be changed for the UK concerts? I can't imagine an audience (or press, more likely) say in Birmingham would be too receptive to it. Then again it was 40 years ago, maybe they wouldn't care.

I don't see why the Raised By Wolves section would change as it is the story behind one of the key songs on the new album. It would be just as effective, if not even more so, in Europe.

I imagine the Bullet The Blue Sky rant by Bono leading into the Hands That Built America snipped will have to change though as that was very America facing, relating to the shootings etc.

Would like to see Invisible chopped and perhaps get more POP/Zooropa surprises.

Also, agreed with the post above, I imagine U2 gigs in Dublin would sell out in seconds. They always have.

Oh and one really cool news clip, Adam and Edge crashed the atU2.com (independent fan site) anniversary party tonight, and joined in with the cover band for 2 songs. Legends!

• Advertisement

Sit attentively listening to songs? Sing along to songs? Dance a lot? Dress in fancy dress?

ha I imagine he means energy wise. Singing and dancing. Spanish are pretty great. In my experience the Belgians are the most boring/polite non bats1t mental crowd going:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

As much as it has become cool to not like U2, their popularity is in no danger IMO. They would sell out a run of concerts in Dublin in a matter of seconds!

Agreed ,especially an indoor run of gigs.
    Ireland is a small country with a limited media and the hype machine would go into over drive.
    The setlist on this tour would be recognisably to almost everyone in attendance I would have thought, It is mostly the greatest hits mixed with nearly all of the new album. There is usually one or two rare-ish choices.

They are playing 8 songs off the new album or recent singles ,that's far too many in my opinion ,especially when the new album is nowhere near their best work.

The best gigs on the last tour were towards the end where they had reduced the number of songs off NLOTH and were essentially playing a greatest hits setlist.

They are playing longer gigs this time round ~2 hours which is welcome ,another 15 minutes would be nice though considering the high ticket prices .
    We just have sh1tty venues here for big gigs. Croker, Aviva, Slane, 02. All sh1t. Like really sh1t.

The O2/point is a fine venue,good acoustically and most of the seats are close to the stage .
    Also the organisers and security usually seem to think there are 40,000 members of ISIS attending judging how they treat people. And our ticket prices are fcuking extortionate.

I think the security is ok ,I haven't been searched at a gig in years .
    Try going to a gig in the US and you will know about security .
    Agreed re our ticket prices though,they are a rip off .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭flasher0030

As stated earlier in 1992 /1993 U2 were a different animal, Achtung Baby was the new album which is their very best imo, perfect from start to finish, with the exception of "tryin' to throw you're arms around the world", and this was off the back of The Joshua Tree! They were on an all time high musically and creatively!

If you're at a U2 gig, would Elevation, Vertigo, Beautiful Day etc give you that sense of excitement, that spine-tingling feeling that you’ve experienced something magic. Or how about Bad, New Year’s Day, The Unforgettable Fire, 40 etc.

Are people not sick of hearing songs like Elevation, Vertigo, Beautiful Day. I would be a very casual fan of U2. I would be very familiar with their stuff up to last 2 albums. Point is – I’m not talking about replacing those type songs with rarities, just songs that are better.

Screeching like a gibbon and eating seeds and nuts from the floor.

Is it cool not to like U2? Or do people not like them anymore because they've turned into a sort of Killers/Keane/Kings of Leon hybrid being.

Theyre even blatantly ripping off Killers tunes now.

55 seconds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=61&v=4Bj3qrMbNig

1 min 10 here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=86&v=zc8hbSM1zVo

:confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

They were pretty much at their peak then coming off the back of Achtung Baby arguably their best album.
    Zoo TV was a ground breaking tour for its time ,visually and thematically it was amazing.

The band were less mainstream back then and didnt play it as safe as The Nal mentions.
    The setlists on the current tour are not great to be honest,too many radio friendly tunes.

I seem to remember U2 getting a fair amount of criticism at the time for what was deemed as them abandoning their back catalog and playing too much "new" stuff. A lot off auchtung baby, zooropa. Now seen as their best stuff, but wasn't universally liked at the time among their fanbase at least not initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭flasher0030

adrian522 wrote: »
    I seem to remember U2 getting a fair amount of criticism at the time for what was deemed as them abandoning their back catalog and playing too much "new" stuff. A lot off auchtung baby, zooropa. Now seen as their best stuff, but wasn't universally liked at the time among their fanbase at least not initially.

That's not true. When Achtung baby was released, it was immediately heralded as a masterpiece.

Read this for all the accolades that it received. Number 1s, awards etc.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achtung_Babyheralded

For live shows, they had the perfect mix of songs:- brilliant songs from Achtung Baby/Zooropa, but enough room from the classics from previous albums.
    The issue that I was saying is that the new albums don't have that excitement to them, but they still have to play 7/8 songs of it. But then they play the usual, what I would call kinda boring songs now, like Elevation, Vertigo, Beautiful Day, City of Blinding Light.

If what you are trying to say is that in 20 years time when U2 are still playing live (after they trot down to Welfare office to draw the pension), that people will look back and say that they have abandoned songs from No Line on the Horizon, or Songs of Innocence, then I don't that will be the case.

The Edge said when Achtung Baby was released that he thought their best work was still ahead of them. It's weird that they didn't kick on from Achtung/Zooropa and produce at least one more great album. They were in their mid 30's when they made Pop - not exactly ancient. The next three albums were all okay but, like the last poster said, there's not one song on them that you would consider a classic U2 song, aside from maybe Beautiful Day.

How many people on here saw ZooTV and was it as amazing as it looks on the Sydney video? This tour looks about as close as they have come to matching ZooTV for innovation at least.

You can argue about U2's setlists forever and never come to an agreement. They are never gonna appease all their fans. I really do think they have it very close to as good as it gets to keeping the majority of people happy, which is essentially their job.

You mention Beautiful Day and Vertigo which are getting played every night. BD is probably their biggest song ever (not their best, but commercially, and worldwide appeal wise and current)so it realistically is never gonna be dropped.

Vertigo I give ya, that could certainly be dropped. But It was a hit and maybe they see the reaction it gets live every time and it's hard not to play it. Elevation doesn't get played all the time, but is in the same bracket as Vertigo.

They play 24 or so songs a night. They have got to play a large amount of hits.

I for one am delighted they are playing so much of the new album. Firstly I think it's brilliant, and their best since POP. Secondly, I've never heard any of the songs live, so the more I hear when I see them the happier I will be. Regardless of all the hullabuloo of the release, it was very well received critically, and from what I read on the fan forums, is massively popular with their core fanbase. So I think it's brilliant they are supporting it so strongly live. The whole theme of the show is built around those songs so they are here to stay thankfully.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

That's not true. When Achtung baby was released, it was immediately heralded as a masterpiece.

Read this for all the accolades that it received. Number 1s, awards etc.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achtung_Babyheralded

For live shows, they had the perfect mix of songs:- brilliant songs from Achtung Baby/Zooropa, but enough room from the classics from previous albums.
    The issue that I was saying is that the new albums don't have that excitement to them, but they still have to play 7/8 songs of it. But then they play the usual, what I would call kinda boring songs now, like Elevation, Vertigo, Beautiful Day, City of Blinding Light.

If what you are trying to say is that in 20 years time when U2 are still playing live (after they trot down to Welfare office to draw the pension), that people will look back and say that they have abandoned songs from No Line on the Horizon, or Songs of Innocence, then I don't that will be the case.

I can certainly remember people giving out about the amount of new stuff being played on that first (Zoo TV) tour and their being TV reports to that effect.

I can also remember Bono being quite dismissive of the criticism, basically saying "screw them, if they don't like it we'll get new fans who do" or words to that effect.

adrian522 wrote: »

Thats true ,alot of people didnt like the change of direction the band made with Achtung Baby and more so Zooropa.
    They used to open the Zoo tv concerts with 6 straight songs off Achtung Baby.
    How many people on here saw ZooTV and was it as amazing as it looks on the Sydney video? This tour looks about as close as they have come to matching ZooTV for innovation at least.

I've seen every tour since 1990 live ,most multiple times ,and Zoo tv was amazing ,absolutely groundbreaking for its time.
    Hair on the back of the neck stuff.

All the tours have been good though ,from the stripped down indoor Elevation tour to Vertigo,Popmart and 360 tour.
    The impact of the newer tours is not as great though as there are so many spoiler videos on the internet,in some cases people are filming whole gigs in HD ,its a bit crazy.

I was really looking forward to seeing the band indoors again this tour,as its a much better experience , but it looks increasingly likely that we will be shafted re the Dublin gigs.
    Its been a right mess from the band .
    If they had just been honest from the start and said that they wouldn't be playing the point then people could plan foreign trips like I have done in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Vunderground

It was cool to like U2? Missed that ...must have gone to the bathroom!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭cathalj

Hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Achtung Baby and anything before it were bloody unreal, theyre up there with The Beatles, The Smiths, Pixies, Joy Divison, Led Zeppelin, The Cure, The Clash, The Velvet Underground etc. in terms of stature and musical influence.

You'd be a fool not to recognise that they were in fact cool. Okay they haven't made a decent record in God knows how long but their live set is something not to miss.

If you have been in the bathroom for the most part of the period 1980 - 2007, go see your GP ASAP!

Thats true ,alot of people didnt like the change of direction the band made with Achtung Baby and more so Zooropa.
    They used to open the Zoo tv concerts with 6 straight songs off Achtung Baby.

I've seen every tour since 1990 live ,most multiple times ,and Zoo tv was amazing ,absolutely groundbreaking for its time.
    Hair on the back of the neck stuff.

All the tours have been good though ,from the stripped down indoor Elevation tour to Vertigo,Popmart and 360 tour.
    The impact of the newer tours is not as great though as there are so many spoiler videos on the internet,in some cases people are filming whole gigs in HD ,its a bit crazy.

I was really looking forward to seeing the band indoors again this tour,as its a much better experience , but it looks increasingly likely that we will be shafted re the Dublin gigs.
    Its been a right mess from the band .
    If they had just been honest from the start and said that they wouldn't be playing the point then people could plan foreign trips like I have done in the past.

Vertigo to me seemed like a bit of a rehash of Elevation but with a bigger stage design, it was the first tour in a while where they didn't really attempt anything new.

I'd actually love to have seen a proper 360 show, I only saw the Croke Park one. I've heard that, although it looked gimmickey, the 'claw' was great in the right arena, that it was the mediocre new songs that really let the show down? I'll never understand why when No Line was supposedly a concept album they decided to promote and tour the hell out of it. I might have worked as a Zooropa/Passengers style record but there was no way those songs should ever have been pushed as much as they were.

Listening to Pop again lately...most of the songs stand up really well. Hard to believe its nearly 20 years old!

Vertigo to me seemed like a bit of a rehash of Elevation but with a bigger stage design, it was the first tour in a while where they didn't really attempt anything new.

I'd actually love to have seen a proper 360 show, I only saw the Croke Park one. I've heard that, although it looked gimmickey, the 'claw' was great in the right arena, that it was the mediocre new songs that really let the show down? I'll never understand why when No Line was supposedly a concept album they decided to promote and tour the hell out of it. I might have worked as a Zooropa/Passengers style record but there was no way those songs should ever have been pushed as much as they were.

Listening to Pop again lately...most of the songs stand up really well. Hard to believe its nearly 20 years old!

No Line isn't a concept album at all, U2 might have said it was to combat the mixed reviews. I know they said it was a very challenging album and their fans didn't get it, which was poor form as the album is a handful of great songs mixed in with awful radio friendly songs such as Breath and Stand Up Comedy, Crazy Tonight is in the same vein but they got it right with that one IMO.

The album is mostly let down by bland production, the sound on that record was very flat and linear! In a live setting the songs failed to take off too. Songs of Innocence despite been very safe and obvious is a more enjoyable listen, although it does have it's contongent of sub par songs, like Cedarwood Road, certainly the stand up comedy of this record. The Miracle is also painfully weak and bland.

Alas in a live setting the band and new songs sound a lot stronger on this tour!

Ps. Pop is a very solid album and criminally overlooked!

As am I. Such a great album. Bold, brave, experimental and they were rushed to finish it (like Zooropa) which meant they didn't have time to suck the life out of it like they did with every album from that point onwards.

Shame they don't throw caution to the wind like that anymore. Adams contribution on Pop is massive and crucial.

Also a big shame they chickened out of releasing Songs of Ascent in favour of the Apple circle jerk/Kings of Leon/Keane/Killers pastiche album. Without being too harsh, it appears they're totally preoccupied with critics, fans, stadium shows and business. The music is secondary. A bands music should be uncompromising. Otherwise they may as well just work for Apple or Blackberry and make music on the side. Which is sort of what they do now anyway.

I have absolutely no interest in seeing them live these days. And I take no pleasure in saying that.

The Nal wrote: »
    As am I. Such a great album. Bold, brave, experimental and they were rushed to finish it (like Zooropa) which meant they didn't have time to suck the life out of it like they did with every album from that point onwards.

Shame they don't throw caution to the wind like that anymore. Adams contribution on Pop is massive and crucial.

Also a big shame they chickened out of releasing Songs of Ascent in favour of the Apple circle jerk/Kings of Leon/Keane/Killers pastiche album. Without being too harsh, it appears they're totally preoccupied with critics, fans, stadium shows and business. The music is secondary. A bands music should be uncompromising. Otherwise they may as well just work for Apple or Blackberry and make music on the side. Which is sort of what they do now anyway.

I have absolutely no interest in seeing them live these days.

It must be said every band member was really pushing themselves on that record, Larry is very strong on Pop. I believe the band members got classically trained around that time, so I'm sure that they had new found vigour to explore their instruments.

In terms of the rushed finish, I think Mofo, Gone and Please suffered, as we can see from the Popmart - Mexico DVD that they evolved into better songs. Also Bono's voice was in v bad shape for the studio version of Mofo.

But I agree, U2 overthinking the songs to death has been the error of their ways on a lot of cases. They need to be bold and stand alone musically like they used to!

I'd actually love to have seen a proper 360 show, I only saw the Croke Park one. I've heard that, although it looked gimmickey, the 'claw' was great in the right arena, that it was the mediocre new songs that really let the show down?

I dont like Croke Park as a venue ,there is just something off about it,its too big,the pitch is simply too wide and too long.
    Its soulless.

I saw 360 in the US as well ,in 360 and it was a much better experience as the NFL pitches are much smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭tritriagain

Am i alone in loving the last two albums.
    i think they are great (despite a couple of weak tracks) and cant wait to see them in glasgow. i dont understand why people feel the need to continually knock u2 . if you dont like the new stuff, listen to the old stuff. simple.

Advertisement