Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Innocence & Experience Tour 2015 (Dublin and Belfast gigs confirmed, post #275)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

So jealous, and $40!! Cheers for the rundown, from the videos I watched it looked great. The new songs sounded fantastic, hope they unleash a few more of those. Ah well, only 4 months til Amsterdam!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

Having watched more or less the whole gig on YouTube,The Troubles would be the highlight for me.Absolutley amazing!And what a start to the gig with The Miracle,Out Of Control,Vertigo and I Will Follow.Roll on Amsterdam in September and London in October!

The screen and visuals work insanely well here!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The screen is fantastic!

They really do the job on these tours, they have a great team working on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Dermoth

Everyone's jumping the gun. The fact is the 3Arena is too small/not long enough for the stage. Sure saying "shorten the walk way" sounds plausible in theory, but check any of the videos from last night and you realise it's all about that long video wall which just plain won't fit in the 3Arena.

The Hydro is much longer. I have no doubt U2 will play here, but the fact is, their show is built for arenas, 99.9% of which seem to be long enough, the 3Arena just isn't.

Last night seems to have went really well bar a weird 2nd half setlist. Edge also got too close to......the edge!:pac: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rta9CHp7bEE

I was at the first gig in San Jose in the SAP Center (they also played a second night) I don't see the current rig fitting in the 3Arena at all and a lot of the show is built around the visuals from the video screens and walk ways. I can't see a way that they could scale it. It's a shame as the way they mix the live event and the video is really innovative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭eldest200

Is it likely they will skip the dublin gig this year and play a croke park in 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

eldest200 wrote: »
    Is it likely they will skip the dublin gig this year and play a croke park in 2016

I wouldn't be surprised to see them do both.

I would love it they did both but its already June and there still isn't an announcement

• Registered Users Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

They'd sell out very quickly anyway, they still have the date around Christmas/New Years free for them (and apparently a Hozier gig would go on too there).

It wouldn't surprise me I just hope they announce it sooner rather than later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I have 2 x upper tier seated tickets for the London Gig on Friday 30th October. I am hoping to swap these tickets for the concert the night before on Thursday 29th, can anyone recommend any websites that facilitate this?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

toutless.com could be worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Has there been any announcements on an Irish leg yet?

Sorry, just read above. Ignore this

adrian522 wrote: »
    toutless.com could be worth a look.

Excellent, thanks very much. I just posted up there.
    Synode wrote: »
    Has there been any announcements on an Irish leg yet?

Nothing yet! The last I read was that the Three (O2) Arena in Dublin is not suited to the current format of the stage. Mainly as the stage needs to be set up like in the 'bowl' rink venues stateside / worldwide to get the full effect.

Rumours are still for concerts around Christmas / New Years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Veloce wrote: »
    Excellent, thanks very much. I just posted up there.

Nothing yet! The last I read was that the Three (O2) Arena in Dublin is not suited to the current format of the stage. Mainly as the stage needs to be set up like in the 'bowl' rink venues stateside / worldwide to get the full effect.

Rumours are still for concerts around Christmas / New Years though.

They'd want to get a move on!! :)

They'd want to get a move on!! :)

I know, tell me about it!! Can't wait until play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

They will rape us witha big ****ty croke park gig. yawn

My bet is they will announce Dublin concerts after they tour in the US

^ Yep, they have all of August off so that would be the perfect time for a gig announcement in Dublin. I could even see a much later announcement happening which would be cruddy as it would be a clear attempt to sell every last ticket for the European shows first.

They mentioned a stripped down show around christmas with "friends" so there's every chance of that still.

PLUS they are doing 8 shows in New York so there is no reason they can't do the same in a 2 or 3 week period in December in the 3Arena.

Yeah and it wouldn't matter when they announce a Dublin gig it would still sell out. I just hope its soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I think U2 are over thinking things,

It would be great if they had their full production, but with their current set list they will blow the roof clean off the O3 regardless!

Let's have the announcement already!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

I couldn't be arsed seeing them in Dublin anymore. Any Dublin concert I've been to has been full of day trippers most of whom hadn't a clue of any of the pre-2000 songs. That's aside from the fact that Dublin is a kip that's a pain in the arse to get to and bloody expensive.

I'm going to see them in the UK instead, even with the crap sterling it works out about the same if not cheaper than seeing them in Dublin. Plus I'll get to see the entire I+E show as it should be instead of some half arsed paddy-spec version.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

weadick wrote: »
    I couldn't be arsed seeing them in Dublin anymore. Any Dublin concert I've been to has been full of day trippers most of whom hadn't a clue of any of the pre-2000 songs. That's aside from the fact that Dublin is a kip that's a pain in the arse to get to and bloody expensive.

I'm going to see them in the UK instead, even with the crap sterling it works out about the same if not cheaper than seeing them in Dublin. Plus I'll get to see the entire I+E show as it should be instead of some half arsed paddy-spec version.

U2 are such a big band that people tagging along for the day out is inevitable. I'm sure a lot of people who say they would like to see Bono blasted into deepest darkest space on a daily basis will be in attendance too.

I agree with you to a slight degree, there is always a minority of people tagging along for the day out, who give the band very little attention. My experiences of gig going tells me that this is a worse problem in the UK, most of the gigs I have been to there have people bored by the 3rd song and yapping to their friends.

It seems like you have a little wee Dublin / Ireland vendetta to get off your chest, so enjoy the show anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,735 ✭✭✭lertsnim

weadick wrote: »
    Any Dublin concert I've been to has been full of day trippers most of whom hadn't a clue of any of the pre-2000 songs.

You think this only happens in Ireland? You are wrong if you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

U2 Irish summer tour 2016

Aviva Dublin
    Nowlan Park Kilkenny
    Thomond Park Limerick
    Belfast

doubt it would happen but you never know

Id reckon gigs in the 3arena in dec 2015 or 2 gigs in Croke Park summer 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    U2 Irish summer tour 2016

Aviva Dublin
    Nowlan Park Kilkenny
    Thomond Park Limerick
    Belfast

doubt it would happen but you never know

Id reckon gigs in the 3arena in dec 2015 or 2 gigs in Croke Park summer 2016

It would be great but there is almost no chance of that happening.
    They haven't played outside Dublin or Belfast in over 20 years and they would probably just do 3 nights at Croke park @80k a head .
    Less cost ,less logistics and more money .

If we dont hear something next month about indoor Dublin gigs I'd say its safe to assume that they wont be happening this year or next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭argentum

I think people may be over estimating how popular that they still are in Ireland.If they want to play more intimate gigs in Ireland as per the set up they use in the states then Croke park is too big unless they are going for a tourist market also. I think that surely The Aviva or even The RDS would suit better next summer. I still think they will play 3Arena over the Christmas holidays with a different stage setup

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I know it's the nostalgia in me, but I was just having a look at the setlist for the U2 gig that I was at in '93 in Lansdowne. Wasn't even a big U2 fan back then, so didn't appreciate the tunes as much as I could have. I know it can't happen, but would be some 2 hours to have that replicated again. Abundance of songs from Achtung BAby and Zooropa. And the best of previous albums.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/u2/1993/rds-arena-dublin-ireland-53d6fb3d.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,635 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I know it's the nostalgia in me, but I was just having a look at the setlist for the U2 gig that I was at in '93 in Lansdowne. Wasn't even a big U2 fan back then, so didn't appreciate the tunes as much as I could have. I know it can't happen, but would be some 2 hours to have that replicated again. Abundance of songs from Achtung BAby and Zooropa. And the best of previous albums.

Sadly that U2 are dead. Compare that to the setlist below from last week. So so boring in comparison. A load of nice safe tunes.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/u2/2015/madison-square-garden-new-york-ny-1bf609ec.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They were pretty much at their peak then coming off the back of Achtung Baby arguably their best album.
    Zoo TV was a ground breaking tour for its time ,visually and thematically it was amazing.

The band were less mainstream back then and didnt play it as safe as The Nal mentions.
    The setlists on the current tour are not great to be honest,too many radio friendly tunes.

Advertisement