Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Innocence & Experience Tour 2015 (Dublin and Belfast gigs confirmed, post #275)

Options
  • 03-12-2014 1:40pm
    Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

Announcement due at 9pm Eastern apparently (very soon).
    Some venues have already leaked.

8090.jpg

Looks indoors & pricey but we'll see.
    Title of tour should ensure Songs of Experience will be dropping soon.

http://www.u2.com/tour

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I'd be shocked that any promoters here didn't big up this announcement!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Limerick91

Insane amount of room for extra dates in the listed cities. Surprised at nowhere outside London bar Glasgow for UK though.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Limerick91 wrote: »

Special shows are being planned for Dublin for the end of next year to benefit the U2-initiated Music Generation project and details will follow once they are finalised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭lukin

The Irish dates will obviously not be indoor as our largest indoor arena is the 3Arena and that only holds 9,500 all seated (or 14,500 seated + standing).
    Even if they played ten nights in a row there it would not be enough to satisfy demand.
    More likely that there will be three nights at Croker like they did for the last tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

lukin wrote: »
    The Irish dates will obviously not be indoor as our largest indoor arena is the 3Arena and that only holds 9,500 all seated (or 14,500 seated + standing).
    Even if they played ten nights in a row there it would not be enough to satisfy demand.
    More likely that there will be three nights at Croker like they did for the last tour.

Nah it's indoors for sure Croker in November definitely not!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭paulbok

Gonna be mid to end of November, a bit parky to be outdoors. Could be a heap of nights in the Point, 11 nights would be the same as 2 Croker gigs.

paulbok wrote: »
    Gonna be mid to end of November, a bit parky to be outdoors. Could be a heap of nights in the Point, 11 nights would be the same as 2 Croker gigs.

The average attendance at the 3 Croker gigs in 2009 was about 81000. Total attendance was 243,198. That would be roughly equal to about five and a half 3Arena gigs for one Croker gig and 3 Croker gigs is equal to seventeen nights in the 3Arena (I am taking the 3Arena capacity as 14,500).
    So it will almost certainly be Croker, probably in August as there are no gigs listed for then in the dates announced today. If you were a U2 fan in say Italy or Spain you would probably be a little annoyed that they are playing a lager venue just in Ireland (hence making it easier to get tickets) but U2 have always played more gigs in Ireland on any tour they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

The average attendance at the 3 Croker gigs in 2009 was about 81000. Total attendance was 243,198. That would be roughly equal to about five and a half 3Arena gigs for one Croker gig and 3 Croker gigs is equal to seventeen nights in the 3Arena (I am taking the 3Arena capacity as 14,500).
    So it will almost certainly be Croker, probably in August as there are no gigs listed for then in the dates announced today. If you were a U2 fan in say Italy or Spain you would probably be a little annoyed that they are playing a lager venue just in Ireland (hence making it easier to get tickets) but U2 have always played more gigs in Ireland on any tour they do.

Croke Park would not have the capacity for 3 gigs in August.

• Advertisement

Croke Park would not have the capacity for 3 gigs in August.
    Height of the GAA season I know but I can't see any other way they can do it unless they play The Phoenix Park or The Aviva but The Aviva would only take 50000 for one gig.

Height of the GAA season I know but I can't see any other way they can do it unless they play The Phoenix Park or The Aviva but The Aviva would only take 50000 for one gig.

they said they playing Dublin at the end of November. That means it won't be Croker!

Mushy wrote: »
    they said they playing Dublin at the end of November. That means it won't be Croker!

I haven't seen any quotes from any member of U2 saying this. It seems to be just the person who wrote the article for the newspapers assuming this will be the case. U2 haven't played an indoor gig in Ireland since 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

http://www.u2.com/news/title/u2-innocence-experience-tour-2015
    Special shows are being planned for Dublin for the end of next year to benefit the U2-initiated Music Generation project and details will follow once they are finalised.

Seems it's actually gonna be indoors in Ireland so! When was the last time that happened?!!

Ridiculous selling tickets for gigs (london) almost a year early. How is that even allowed? I see it more and more these days. Ticketmaster must be making a fortune on interest in the banks!

OK so it looks like it will not be outdoor. But I can see this becoming quite a controversial issue if they play the 3Arena. Demand will far exceed supply and U2 will be slaughtered over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

http://www.u2.com/news/title/u2-innocence-experience-tour-2015

Seems it's actually gonna be indoors in Ireland so! When was the last time that happened?!!

Ridiculous selling tickets for gigs (london) almost a year early. How is that even allowed? I see it more and more these days. Ticketmaster must be making a fortune on interest in the banks!

Why wouldn't it be allowed?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

OK so it looks like it will not be outdoor. But I can see this becoming quite a controversial issue if they play the 3Arena. Demand will far exceed supply and U2 will be slaughtered over it.

Hardly! They'll almost certainly do the usual stadium tour in 2016 after the more 'intimate' gigs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a complete mess of a tour announcement.
    Last minute rush job ,presales start tomorrow ,ridiculous .

Ticket prices are very expensive ,the band have resorted to scalping.
    Red zone beside stage in London is £220 ,cheap seats are £35 but they are crap locations,its £166 pounds for any sort of a decent view .
    Floor standing is cheap but will be almost impossible to get.

Hardly! They'll almost certainly do the usual stadium tour in 2016 after the more 'intimate' gigs

As far as I know the tour announced today is the only tour they are doing in support of this album. I don't think they will play stadiums in 2016. That's what I think anyway. As the previous poster said it is a mess. Not announcing any Irish dates today was a bad PR move. Saying "they haven't been finalised yet" translates as "eh, we haven't worked that one out yet".

Here's hoping for 20 nights at the 3Arena so... :eek:

Just kidding but we just might get a ticket or two if they played somewhere between 5 to to 10 nights (I know that's even mental but as its possible some cities in the USA might get up to 8 dates if all the rumours/fourm chatter plays out correctly, then they might try something similar here)..

Last time I saw them indoor was 89 'at the Point'...sorry 3 Arena....:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,573 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Just kidding but we just might get a ticket or two if they played somewhere between 5 to to 10 nights (I know that's even mental but as its possible some cities in the USA might get up to 8 dates if all the rumours/fourm chatter plays out correctly, then they might try something similar here)..

There will be loads of other dates added at a later stage ,the initial announcement is to create hype and demand.

The boys primary motive is money ,they will play as much as they can .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭SteM

The Lovetown shows with BB King back in 1999 were in the Point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vdCzIStGmg

The tickets went on sale only through the Point Depot IIRC. People queued up through the night to get them, the car park outside the Point became a shanty town for the night :). Myself and some mates left school early, travelled into Dublin and joined the queue. We got tickets for the St. Stephen's Day gig at around 3am (they decided to start selling them early due to the crowd size) and we wandered around the city centre for the rest of the night until we could get a bus home. Walking up the quays from the Point at that hour of the morning with tickets felt dodgy, lots of touts around looking to buy them and offering silly money for the NYE tickets.

I'd be surprised if they played ten nights at the 3Arena. I remember back in 1992 when they played the indoor leg of the ZooTV tour they didn't play any Irish dates because The Point (as it was called then) was too small.
    They were criticised for it but Bono said at the time they would have to play ten nights at The Point to satisfy demand and they didn't want to do that as then it becomes "like going to work".

Why wouldn't it be allowed?:confused:

I dunno, just doesn't sit right with me. A whole year? The 1D tickets announcement stinks of trying to jump in on xmas market. I think there should be a 6 month max limit between when the event is on and when the tickets go on sale.

SteM wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vdCzIStGmg

The tickets went on sale only through the Point Depot IIRC. People queued up through the night to get them, the car park outside the Point became a shanty town for the night :). Myself and some mates left school early, travelled into Dublin and joined the queue. We got tickets for the St. Stephen's Day gig at around 3am (they decided to start selling them early due to the crowd size) and we wandered around the city centre for the rest of the night until we could get a bus home. Walking up the quays from the Point at that hour of the morning with tickets felt dodgy, lots of touts around looking to buy them and offering silly money for the NYE tickets.

1989 - typo above.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

SteM wrote: »

I remember queing for these as well..
    Was there all night but we managed to get tickets for thje NYE gig and the Stephens day gig...
    we even brought a flask and all with us lol

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Messi19

Taken from the Music Generation website:

It’s a Beautiful Day! Music Generation delighted to be associated with U2’s forthcoming tour.

04 December 2014
    It's a beautiful day for all U2 fans and for all Music Generation partners and participants across the country. We are thrilled to be associated with the announcement of U2's first tour in a decade, which will include two Dublin dates.
    The iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Tour will see U2 play 19 cities worldwide next year. Watch this space for more details!

Two Dublin dates? Yeah, and the rest!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭RQ2013

Has anyone tried buying pre sale tickets for any of the foreign cities? Are they all sold out or are they easy to get? I'm in two minds whether to sign up and try get tickets. Could make a city break of it

I was tempted to sign up so I'd get access to the sale tomorrow, but think I'll just wait til the general sale and if I get some GA I'll work from there. It's so far away!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

Nonsense.

The fact is that most people would prefer indoor shows, outdoor shows are ****e in comparison. No not everybody will be able to get a ticket but many people will. Anyone who doesn´t will just have to wait until the next time.

It´s not that unusual for demand for concert tickets to exceed supply you know. There have been plenty of gigs I wanted to go to but didn´t get tickets and I´d rather have it that way than have every gig I go to be in a big field.

Advertisement