Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Innocence & Experience Tour 2015 (Dublin and Belfast gigs confirmed, post #275)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Any news on dates

Read on twitter from a fan that no specific dates were announced. I'll probably listen to the interview later.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Any news on dates

Tuned into today fm today thinking it be announced then but nothing. Great interview with Tony Fenton but not a mention of dates. The wait goes on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

http://www.hotpress.com/U2/news/No-U2-tour-dates-confirmed-for-Ireland-as-yet/13916130.html
    A U2 representative tells Hot Press today: "On the pre-recorded interview with Bono we know that he talked about playing Ireland this year and what they would like to do around the shows. However, this interview was recorded four months ago at a time when plans and dates were still being finalised. The Irish dates are not yet confirmed." - See more at: http://www.hotpress.com/U2/news/No-U2-tour-dates-confirmed-for-Ireland-as-yet/13916130.html#sthash.c9xXrsEq.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Meanwhile in Vancouver...

WipUDl6m.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Where are those tickets for sale, official or second-hand?

• Advertisement

comet wrote: »
    Where are those tickets for sale, official or second-hand?

They are on StubHub, so a reseller but pretty legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭lc180

They are on StubHub, so a reseller but pretty legit.

So what's the point you are getting at? That's the concerts are selling bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

WipUDl6m.png

Its bizarre how cheap some of the tickets are for the opening night of the tour.
    You can get good seats just behind the stage down low for 63 dollars !

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Get Real

WipUDl6m.png

how are they that cheap when to see them in London for 2 people is about 400 euro, or Berlin VIP package (basic sold out) is 600 plus?

Was considering both of the above up until I learned Dublin is definitely happening this year, and I will be going, but how do those ticket sites work at such low prices etc? They're a strange one for me personally

Get Real wrote: »
    how are they that cheap when to see them in London for 2 people is about 400 euro, or Berlin VIP package (basic sold out) is 600 plus?

Was considering both of the above up until I learned Dublin is definitely happening this year, and I will be going, but how do those ticket sites work at such low prices etc? They're a strange one for me personally

Dublin might not be happening at all this year .

http://www.evoke.ie/showbiz/u2-irish-christmas-gigs-cancelled/

Its a farce at this stage ,no respect for the fans who are trying to make arrangements to see them abroad if these indoor gigs dont materialise.

• Advertisement

Get Real wrote: »

It's supply vs. demand. There's obviously more tickets available than there is demand for tickets hence the low prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 aiidee

Hi I have been trying to upgrade my u2 membership to subscription package so that I can get presale tickets. But cannot get past stage 2. Have tried to set up new membership also still no joy - any one any ideas? Have they stopped accepting new subscriptions... Help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭laros

A promo video for the tour has been released...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Dublin might not be happening at all this year .

http://www.evoke.ie/showbiz/u2-irish-christmas-gigs-cancelled/

Its a farce at this stage ,no respect for the fans who are trying to make arrangements to see them abroad if these indoor gigs dont materialise.

You can't blame U2 if a Dublin date can't be arranged. Blame the lack of suitable indoor arenas in the country (apart from the Odyssey in Belfast) that can't host their staging for the I & E tour.

Several acts can't host shows in the country because we don't have an 'in the round' arena like MSG or the O2 in London.

I'm sure they'll work something out for Dublin in the future.

Liam92 wrote: »
    You can't blame U2 if a Dublin date can't be arranged. Blame the lack of suitable indoor arenas in the country (apart from the Odyssey in Belfast) that can't host their staging for the I & E tour.

Several acts can't host shows in the country because we don't have an 'in the round' arena like MSG or the O2 in London.

I'm sure they'll work something out for Dublin in the future.

They could easily modify the stage layout to fit it into the 3Arena,the excuse that it wont fit isnt really a valid excuse.

I'm sure I speak for most fans when I say a basic stage and a few screens would be more than adequate.
    The 3Arena is a fairly compact arena ,you have a good view from most seats .

I wish that they would just clarify whether they will be playing an indoor venue in Ireland this year instead of flip flopping and changing their mind.
    I will not be impressed if these Dublin gigs, as promised by the band at the announcement of the tour, do not go ahead.
    If they had said at the tour announcement that there was no arena suitable in Dublin and that Dublin would get outdoor gigs in 2016 then that would be fine and people could have arranged overseas trips.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I'd be shocked if they didn't play the 3Arena. Especially after Bono's comments to Tony Fenton, where he confirmed it would be a scaled down affair due to the constraints of the venue. He also seemed sure about it being near Christmas, and even having decided the proceeds were going to their Music Generation charity. Seems a done deal if you ask me.

I imagine they are holding off until the tour is up and running to sell as many unsold tickets in other places as possible. Plus it's over 6 months away!

Tour starts in 2 days. No support bands either so we might see more of U2.

RIP Larry Mullen Sr too. Died last weekend at the ripe old age of 92.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,355 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Opening night here in Vancouver tomorrow night, looking forward to it!

Are you going?? Be sure to give us a full report! And be there early, apparently U2 are gonna be on at 7:30pm!:)

The band confirmed that their iNNOCENCE + EXPERIENCE stage show will not play Dublin in its present form as there is no arena big enough to hold it.

“There may be acoustic shows. We will play the (3Arena) but we can’t play the present show,” Bono said while confirming that Music Generation students who were funded by U2 will also be involved in the show.

The Edge said playing the full show in Dublin wouldn’t make sense. “It would be a terrible venue for it. We won’t be able to bring this particular show to Dublin, but we’re definitely going to be doing Dublin. We just haven’t figured out how.”
    http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/music/in-the-name-of-love-u2-gear-up-for-start-of-world-tour-1.2212372

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bit of a downer but why can't they just go on stage and play there guys without all the fancy lighting and all that crap

• Advertisement

Are you going?? Be sure to give us a full report! And be there early, apparently U2 are gonna be on at 7:30pm!:)

Will do, Rogers Arena is relatively small, at least I remember it being so at the last hockey game I went to.

No support which is nice, not in the mood for anything other than them to be honest.

Will let you guys know how it goes.

Bit of a downer but why can't they just go on stage and play there guys without all the fancy lighting and all that crap

$$$$$$$

They'd prefer to reward their Irish fans by playing 4 intimate open air concerts in Croke Park next summer :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

They could easily modify the stage layout to fit it into the 3Arena,the excuse that it wont fit isnt really a valid excuse.

I'm sure I speak for most fans when I say a basic stage and a few screens would be more than adequate.
    The 3Arena is a fairly compact arena ,you have a good view from most seats .

I wish that they would just clarify whether they will be playing an indoor venue in Ireland this year instead of flip flopping and changing their mind.
    I will not be impressed if these Dublin gigs, as promised by the band at the announcement of the tour, do not go ahead.
    If they had said at the tour announcement that there was no arena suitable in Dublin and that Dublin would get outdoor gigs in 2016 then that would be fine and people could have arranged overseas trips.

Yep yer spot on it really is a poor excuse, the Hydro hosts less but they are playing there....they said initially they were definately playing Ireland leaving a lot of people not arrange for other gigs like you say. They should have edited that Tony Fenton interview too and play the Irish shows part if it became relevant.

An acoustic show wouldn't interest me at all tbh, seems they might pawn that off on us as an excuse to call it a "special performance" for the Irish.

Not sure what this comment is about; the arena can be amended to host "in the round" events as you put it. UFC etc. Please give examples of these events that couldn't occur because of not having said arena? Ireland doesn't need a bigger arena they can't fill the 3arena the best of times if anything they need a venue half the size as more acts couldn't come here due to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

It's not really "in the round" for the UFC, is it?

It's more like a smaller version of the 360 setting at Croke Park.
    The stage way off centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

3/4 nights in Croke Park in summer 2016 would be good

Bruce Springsteen playing 2 nights in Croke Park next summer would make it a good year for Croke Park

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Liam92

Not sure what this comment is about; the arena can be amended to host "in the round" events as you put it. UFC etc. Please give examples of these events that couldn't occur because of not having said arena? Ireland doesn't need a bigger arena they can't fill the 3arena the best of times if anything they need a venue half the size as more acts couldn't come here due to that.

Chill.
    Katy Perry couldn't fit her last tour in 3Arena, and events have had to rescale stagings, such as UFC and WWE. But now we can't see U2's latest staging in its current form, so it can't always be amended, as you put it.
    The country needs a smaller venue for artists who can't come close to selling out 3Arena, for sure. A similar venue to London's Hammersmith Apollo would be ideal.
    Or a smaller capacity 'in the round' arena similar to Odyssey Arena would also suit Dublin.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Yea have to agree with people saying its a bit of a cop out saying the 3 Arena would not be able to hold the tour set up. Why not just downsize a small bit such as maybe making the runway smaller etc.Or if not just bring a basic set up to the 3 Arena , i think most U2 fans would rather a small scaled down show then no show

Everyone's jumping the gun. The fact is the 3Arena is too small/not long enough for the stage. Sure saying "shorten the walk way" sounds plausible in theory, but check any of the videos from last night and you realise it's all about that long video wall which just plain won't fit in the 3Arena.

The Hydro is much longer. I have no doubt U2 will play here, but the fact is, their show is built for arenas, 99.9% of which seem to be long enough, the 3Arena just isn't.

Last night seems to have went really well bar a weird 2nd half setlist. Edge also got too close to......the edge!:pac: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rta9CHp7bEE

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Chill.
    Katy Perry couldn't fit her last tour in 3Arena, and events have had to rescale stagings, such as UFC and WWE. But now we can't see U2's latest staging in its current form, so it can't always be amended, as you put it.
    The country needs a smaller venue for artists who can't come close to selling out 3Arena, for sure. A similar venue to London's Hammersmith Apollo would be ideal.
    Or a smaller capacity 'in the round' arena similar to Odyssey Arena would also suit Dublin.

Katy Perry played in Ireland about 7 times since U2 last did let alone since they last did an indoor show, majority of people just wanna see the lads play indoors if possible....and plugged in.

• Advertisement

Well, opening night was fantastic.

I had limited viewing form my seats, but I got mine for $40, so I can't really complain, and having said that it was still a spectacle.

Set list was interesting, I lost my mind for "Out of Control", that was a super highlight of the evening for me, and Bullet was superb, The Edge killed the solo!

The show itself is great, they have double sided hollow screen that the band can enter and they project things onto it throughout the show, really interesting and visually great. Long walk way with a circle at the end and the band made good use of getting up and walking around a good bit. The crowd were surprisingly great, haha, I say this because I wouldn't have put Vancouver as a U2 stronghold but I was wrong, every sing along was hit and the band had great interaction with the crowd.

I must say I was impressed, I am well aware that U2 are in their 50's now, and in some ways it shows, but the power of their music just negates that and elevates the spectacle. Larry is still a powerhouse on the drums, Adam probably still collects spoons (he did make a big mess of City of Blinding Lights), The Edge is flawless, minus his fall at the end, I would say his ego is bruised more than anything. And Bono, he just reminded me of the drunk uncle at the wedding who grabs the mic and sings every song note for note and makes you listen, He can still move despite being part robotic now.

Delighted I got to see them again, and even more so on the opening night. Highly recommend checking them out on this tour, and hopefully they make a few plans for Dublin shows soon.

10/10

Set 1:
    The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
    Out of Control (with Do You Remember Rock 'n' Roll Radio? snippet)
    Vertigo (with God Save The Queen snippet)
    I Will Follow
    Iris (Hold Me Close)
    Cedarwood Road
    Song for Someone
    Sunday Bloody Sunday (acoustic) (without final verse)
    Raised By Wolves (with Psalm 23 snippet)
    Until The End Of The World

Set 2:
    Invisible
    Even Better Than the Real Thing
    Mysterious Ways (with Burning Down The House and and Young Americans snippets )
    Desire
    Sweetest Thing
    Every Breaking Wave
    Bullet the Blue Sky
    (The Hands That Built America snippet)
    Pride
    The Troubles
    With or Without You

Encore:
    City of Blinding Lights
    Beautiful Day (I Remember You snippet, Mother and Child Reunion snippet )
    Where the Streets Have No Name
    (California (There Is No End and All You Need Is Love with snippets )
    I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (with Invisible snippet)

Advertisement