Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U2 Innocence & Experience Tour 2015 (Dublin and Belfast gigs confirmed, post #275)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,635 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

i dont understand why people feel the need to continually knock u2 .

Because they're clearly capable of producing better music. But instead they compromise and play the game so they don't scare anyone off. Its all lovely and nice and easy to listen to.

Lots of talk about highest grossing tours, reacting to the critics regarding their last album. U2 Inc. is very appropriate. The band is no different now to a TV show or a clothing line. Its so over considered.

I remember Bono thanking Blackberry from the stage in Croker and turning to my mate and saying "what the fcuk have we paid money to see here? A gig or some music driven corporate event". If it was free then fair enough. But to actually have paid good money for it.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I don't think you could call any of U2's albums bad. I like them all to an extent. I loved all the last 4 when they were released, but yes, time has not being kind to pretty much all bar the most recent one, on which time will tell.

For the moment I think it's easily their best since POP. Agreed on the love for that, so ballsy and fresh.

All things considered I think SOI was about as good an album as U2 could have put out last year. They're pushing on now! Hopefully SOE is a return to "ballsy" U2. They probably have only 1 of 2 big album releases left, would love for them to go out with a bang. Let the artistic shackles loose. A pot stew of their 90s stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭weadick

The Nal wrote: »
    Because they're clearly capable of producing better music. But instead they compromise and play the game so they don't scare anyone off. Its all lovely and nice and easy to listen to.

Lots of talk about highest grossing tours, reacting to the critics regarding their last album. U2 Inc. is very appropriate. The band is no different now to a TV show or a clothing line. Its so over considered.

I remember Bono thanking Blackberry from the stage in Croker and turning to my mate and saying "what the fcuk have we paid money to see here? A gig or some music driven corporate event". If it was free then fair enough. But to actually have paid good money for it.....

I agree there I remember seeing '360...sponsored by Blackberry' and feeling a little sick, for a band who were once famous as the biggest alternative band in the world it was pretty embarrassing.

I got into U2 around the time of Pop, in fact Pop was the first album I ever bought. It's a weird album, far from perfect and with a couple of adjustments could have been much better. But the band were really playing brilliantly. Staring at the Sun is among Edges best ever guitar pieces, I don't think he has come close since. Adams bass playing is so fluid and accomplished and yet still unmistakably Adam! I loved how U2 back then rarely did interviews and seemed to not really give a **** about the press/media, though obviously I was totally wrong about that.

They lost a lot of money and fans in the US with POP, they've been doing a huge amount of ass kissing since.

The Blackberry stuff etc is sickening, but unfortunately it's par for the course with Bono and his humanitarian work. He got booed at a show recently for thanking loads of sponsors like Bank of America etc, and acknowledged the anger in the crowd saying it was fine to boo him, but the people benefiting from the money didn't care where it came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

A new U Talking U2 to Me podcast is out, they finally get to interview the band. It's actually a great listen and not the usual run of the mill interview asking them about Apple and Larry's kitchen, etc.

Hope they get the next album out soon and don't drag the area out of it as usual.

• Advertisement

The Blackberry stuff etc is sickening, but unfortunately it's par for the course with Bono and his humanitarian work. He got booed at a show recently for thanking loads of sponsors like Bank of America etc, and acknowledged the anger in the crowd saying it was fine to boo him, but the people benefiting from the money didn't care where it came from.

Yeah see thats a load of nonsense from Bono. People have paid to see a gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Wooderson

The Nal wrote: »
    Yeah see thats a load of nonsense from Bono. People have paid to see a gig.

No recollection of this kinda guff from any comparable artist.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Id imagine flights over to london for the o2 gig would be very expensive due to the rugby world cup

Hopefully they announce something for Ireland before the end of the year. Croke park, 3arena, Slane wherever

3 night run in the 3arena will sell out in seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 21,228 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Id imagine flights over to london for the o2 gig would be very expensive due to the rugby world cup

Hopefully they announce something for Ireland before the end of the year. Croke park, 3arena, Slane wherever

You'd be surprised, there are so many flights to London that they aren't the worst. Unless its a day either side/day off an Ireland match.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭kennyu272

Mushy wrote: »
    You'd be surprised, there are so many flights to London that they aren't the worst. Unless its a day either side/day off an Ireland match.
    I paid around 50 euro for my return flight for the Ist gig in London,even better I managed to get a flight to Glasgow for the Saturday night gig for 19.99 return :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Graham1978

Saturday night gig in Glasgow for myself and the wife 63 return. Can't complain with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭lukin

Croke Park or Slane is a non-starter anyway. 3Arena seems the most likely option.They played eight nights at Madison Square Gardens recently. It would take a similar number of gigs at the 3Arena to satisfy demand for here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,078 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

lukin wrote: »
    Croke Park or Slane is a non-starter anyway. 3Arena seems the most likely option.They played eight nights at Madison Square Gardens recently. It would take a similar number of gigs at the 3Arena to satisfy demand for here.
    if they dont announce anything by the end of september. than there will be no 2015 irish gig

if they dont announce anything by the end of september. than there will be no 2015 irish gig

Yeah they are leaving it late alright. If the rumours of a run of December gigs are to be believed then there are very few free slots left to accommodate it. The 1st,4th,5th,6th,11th,15th,16th,17th,18th and 19th December are all taken (http://3arena.ie/all-shows).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yeah they are leaving it late alright. If the rumours of a run of December gigs are to be believed then there are very few free slots left to accommodate it. The 1st,4th,5th,6th,11th,15th,16th,17th,18th and 19th December are all taken (http://3arena.ie/all-shows).

The chances of proper Innocence and Experience, December gigs at this stage are between slim and zero .

If rumours are to be believed the band will be playing another European leg next May/June .
    It will most likely be indoors but may also have a few outdoor gigs and its then that they will make their way here to play Croke Park.

I've had my fill of Croke Park gigs to be honest ,its a shocking venue.

The chances of proper Innocence and Experience, December gigs at this stage are between slim and zero .

If rumours are to be believed the band will be playing another European leg next May/June .
    It will most likely be indoors but may also have a few outdoor gigs and its then that they will make their way here to play Croke Park.

I've had my fill of Croke Park gigs to be honest ,its a shocking venue.

Yeah it looks like we will have to wait until 2016 for a U2 gig in Ireland. Fairly disappointing really and I can see them getting a lot of abuse over this. Even if they do play the 3Arena it would be a stripped-down version according to this link: http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0514/701164-u2-tour-too-big-for-dublin/ which I for one wouldn't be bothered with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Yeah it looks like we will have to wait until 2016 for a U2 gig in Ireland. Fairly disappointing really and I can see them getting a lot of abuse over this. Even if they do play the 3Arena it would be a stripped-down version according to this link: http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0514/701164-u2-tour-too-big-for-dublin/ which I for one wouldn't be bothered with.

Yeah pity they didn't make it clear there'd be none and coulda done Glasgow,London or elsewhere in Europe, Croke Park or Slane they can keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Why is their always drama with U2 hometown gigs, going right back to planning for the zoo TV and POP mart shows in the 90s.

I'm no longer a big fan but playing outdoors as a cash grab rather than several nights in the point (albeit stripped back) should not be acceptable to their fans

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Why should they have to strip their show back? It's not their fault that we don't have a decent venue in this country

Seve OB wrote: »
    Why should they have to strip their show back? It's not their fault that we don't have a decent venue in this country

They announced that they would be doing indoor gigs in the 3arena way back in early December of last year when the other venues were being announced.

They continuously repeated this numerous times over the coming months so alot of fans decided to hold back for these tickets instead of trying for foreign cities.
    Alot of fan club members held their pre sale codes for the promised Irish gigs.

Then once all the other European gigs had sold out they announced that the 3arena may not be suitable for staging the tour .
    Why is their always drama with U2 hometown gigs, going right back to planning for the zoo TV and POP mart shows in the 90s.

I'm no longer a big fan but playing outdoors as a cash grab rather than several nights in the point (albeit stripped back) should not be acceptable to their fans

Its just easier and more profitable for them to take the easy option and play Croker instead of the 3 arena.
    The band would get alot of heat for charging 190 euro for most of the seats indoors and the demand would be huge,they'd have to play 8 nights at least ,similar to New York.
    Its easier just to come out with the line that the stage wont fit ,they could get it in in some format ,no doubt of that ,they could position the screen along the back wall of the 3arena and shorten the catwalk.

I'd rather see the band indoors in a stripped down format than stick an indoor stage setup in a stadium like they did at Slane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

What you mean? The tour supposedly catered for in the round venues which would make the Odyssey adequate (they played similar size in the states).

I don't think you can deem venues terrible on the basis a band has an art attack to cater for specific arenas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

That's a fanboy response. I'm talking about the whole drama of not announcing shows when every other country has been catered for and also they previously announced Dec shows here (wasn't a charity mentioned).

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

Sounds like this is a mess from start to finish. We were promised a few dates in December and nothing from them. They haven't come out since and said if they will tour Ireland in December. I joined the fan club and got a code for pre sale to keep for the Dublin tour but nothing . If I'd of know this I'd of used it for another country. My subscription will be up soon and it will feel like a total waste getting it. Nobody is telling us anything on the official site either. Very poor.

martin101 wrote: »
    Very poor.

They are very poor indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Latest rumour I heard was a 4 night run in the 3Arena at the end of November. 2 nights then a night off followed by a further 2 nights. Tickets beginning at €190.

well the "starting price" of tickets in that rumour scuppers that.

It is bad form that they haven't announced their Irish plans. It's totally unfair to their Irish fans. Considering they are Irish and all, you would think they would have put those fans considerations top of their list. Did I mention the Irishness? :pac:

Can't wait to see them in Amsterdam though!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,884 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Its just easier and more profitable for them to take the easy option and play Croker instead of the 3 arena.

Its easier just to come out with the line that the stage wont fit ,they could get it in in some format ,no doubt of that ,they could position the screen along the back wall of the 3arena and shorten the catwalk.

I'd rather see the band indoors in a stripped down format than stick an indoor stage setup in a stadium like they did at Slane.

I disagree. If they wanted to do a stadium show to make more profits, Ireland would be the last place to start, what with a grand total of 3 gigs in Croker versus maybe a hundred plus at bigger and better locations around the world. There is no way that if they do play Croker or Lansdowne it would be for the reason of bigger profits.

I disagree. If they wanted to do a stadium show to make more profits, Ireland would be the last place to start, what with a grand total of 3 gigs in Croker versus maybe a hundred plus at bigger and better locations around the world. There is no way that if they do play Croker or Lansdowne it would be for the reason of bigger profits.

Yeah I agree with this. If U2 do 3 nights in Croker on this tour it wouldn't be for profits, it would be more of inconvenience to them really because all the other gigs before it have been indoor so they would have to make a lot of changes and get used to playing an outdoor gig when they have been playing indoor all along. The last indoor tour U2 did was the Elevation tour in 2001 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elevation_Tour).
    If you look at the dates on that link you will see all the dates before it were in indoor venues (apart from Turin). They couldn't play The Point on that tour (as it was called then) as it was too small. So they played two gigs at Slane instead. They should have done that on this tour as well. I don't know why they didn't.
    When U2 do an indoor arena tour it is always a problem for them when they have to play Ireland because we don't have a big enough venue due to their massive popularity here. As someone else said that is hardly U2's fault. The simplest solution to it has been to play a couple of one-off outdoor gigs instead (as they did in 2001). They didn't do that this time.
    In 1992 they played indoor venues as the first part of the ZOO TV tour. They didn't play The Point because Bono said at the time that they would have to play ten nights in a row and "it would be like going to work".
    They were criticised a fair bit for it but I actually see his point (no pun intended).
    I do think however they have handled this badly and people will be pissed off if they don't play here before the end of the year.

I didnt say it was just for profits ,its an easier option to play Croke park as opposed to an indoor venue here due to a number of reasons

a) No criticism over 190 euro ticket prices ,as the ticket prices will be lower in a stadium gig
    b) 3 nights as opposed to 8 ,which Lukin correctly says "would be like going to work".
    c) Higher revenue
    d) More people get to see the show

• Advertisement

Although they did do eight consecutive nights at Madison Square Gardens so if Bono re-hashes the quote about "going to work" that might be thrown at him.

Advertisement