Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

You can register anytime from 6am (and probably earlier judging by some of the start times last year), no difference between 100/200 registration. "Official" start time is 7am, but there's no official start, just off you go. There's usually big enough groups heading off from 6.30am, best bet is to get on the road early, take it handy starting off and tag onto a group passing you at a pace you like.
    Plenty of parking at the Greystones Dart park and ride carpark, only a few hundred metres from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

Whats up lads and ladies,

I'm attempting the 200 for the first time. I've been doing the 10%+ increase every weekend for the last while, with a 40k and some boot camp training during the weekdays. My max so far been 120 last Saturday, didn't hit a wall but suffered the last 20-30. I figure I have two long rides left before the event. I'm severely under prepared, with regards to gear, and apparently my tyres are all wrong (I have a tricross).

Anyone have any training tips for the last stretch? And speaking of gear what are the absolute essentials? Besides cycling shorts. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Snako wrote: »

I'm attempting the 200 for the first time. I've been doing the 10%+ increase every weekend for the last while, with a 40k and some boot camp training during the weekdays. My max so far been 120 last Saturday, didn't hit a wall but suffered the last 20-30. I figure I have two long rides left before the event. I'm severely under prepared, with regards to gear, and apparently my tyres are all wrong (I have a tricross).

Anyone have any training tips for the last stretch? And speaking of gear what are the absolute essentials? Besides cycling shorts. :(

My first 200 too! The most I've ever done was 123kms a week ago! You should be fine. I would suggest electrolyte tabs and lots of them. I brought two bottles on that spin and it wasn't enough, i tend to get very dehydrated so i will be drinking constantly on the day and bring tabs to refill with.

I'm also getting a full service done on the bike during the week before so it's ready to go.

Good luck on the day and remember there will always be someone worse off then yourself. Thats whats giong to get me through!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Well done on your training, on the day just take it easy, eat well and look after yourself and you'll be alright. Stretch often if you can.

The tricross has wider wheels than most bikes you'll see doing the 200, but it'll be ok. If you can, pick up a set of tyres that are as narrow and as slick as will go on the wheels (the ones you have may well be fine already though). Your LBS will be able to assist you there. Pump them up to the upper end of their recommended pressure. Gear essentials are cycle shorts, jersey, saddlebag with puncture repair stuff, bottle cages, bidons, and a handy jacket. Think you need a helmet for all sportives too.

On the last stretch, just keep your head down and think of the grub :) Stay with a group that's going at a comfortable pace for you if you can. Talk to people whenever you feel like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

My first 200 too! The most I've ever done was 123kms a week ago! You should be fine. I would suggest electrolyte tabs and lots of them. I brought two bottles on that spin and it wasn't enough, i tend to get very dehydrated so i will be drinking constantly on the day and bring tabs to refill with.

I'm also getting a full service done on the bike during the week before so it's ready to go.

Good luck on the day and remember there will always be someone worse off then yourself. Thats whats giong to get me through!

I got my service done a few weeks back. I'm presuming I won't have to carry too much food etc with all the feeding stations?

I'm going to try get 140km this weekend. Bit worried about the legs, it seems to take me 4-5 days to recover properly from the long rides.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

I got my service done a few weeks back. I'm presuming I won't have to carry too much food etc with all the feeding stations?

I'm going to try get 140km this weekend. Bit worried about the legs, it seems to take me 4-5 days to recover properly from the long rides.

It will be my first 200 (Is the 140 The Ring of Beara?) As for food I wouldn't normally rely on feed stops and would see them more as a supplement to the stuff I have with me. I'm thinking of carrying a small (10litre) backpack but then again I'm a salad dodger and get quite hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Bring some energy gels and maybe a couple of flapjack type bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Don't think I'm going to use the feed stations because both myself and the guy I'll be with are lactose intolerant and he's also diabetic so have to be very careful what we eat. My wife is going to meet us somewhere along the way with food.

If you don't use gels already I would be a bit wary of starting on the day as they can be quite hard on the stomach.

Maybe a foam roller would help with the legs?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭lissard

The feed stops are at around 90k and 160k if my memory serves me right. My experience of doing this last year was that the first one (Baltinglass) was very slow but nevertheless a welcome break after 90k. If you want to minimise the amount of time stopped simply go to the shop around the corner in Baltinglass. I found by the time I left the the first stop I had got very cold from waiting around. The second stop in Rathdrum had no queues worth talking about. Contrary to what I'd been led to believe, the food was very good last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Hmm I should really start looking for a few more hills. :eek:

2015-05-18%2016.34.54_zpshksokkwd.jpg

Good man - I am right behind at number 182!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

My first 200k also, have done the SKT 160 back in 2013, but probably a fair bit fitter than. Doing 110k training spins so far, finding them handy enough, easily feel I could do 140-150 on my own, so the extra 50 with some riding in a group should be doable, I hope!
    Best of luck to all doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

So if I were to start at (say) 8am, would there be groups going at my pace? 10 hour pace!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

D9Male wrote: »
    So if I were to start at (say) 8am, would there be groups going at my pace? 10 hour pace!

You'll probably catch up with me :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As said use the foam roller every day after the ride, also elevate the legs and if you have compression tights (the airplane/operation ones!) then fire them on for a few hours. All that helps!
    Don't start using gels if you haven't been used to them, have said lads suffer badly with them in events so not ideal.
    Pack what u normally eat and carry some, give the rest to your missus. Have a good breakfast and get a bottle of water into you every hour or so after the 1st 30 minutes.
    But enjoy the event, everyone there will be in the same boat so just get into a comfortable zone, go off too fast and you will burn out and the last 1/2-1/4 will be tough.

Enjoy and good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,369 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

bazermc wrote: »

You mean ahead of me :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Anyone wearing the boards gear? :D I'll have the jersey on anyway and Westport CC shorts on a white Storck (bike not bird!)

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Number arrived this morning. I'll be out on the road as soon as possible and hopefully get home to watch the Ireland/England game.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TripleMinor

bazermc wrote: »

Im 181 :eek:

Use a referral link when purchasing a Tesla and get free Supercharging KMs https://www.tesla.com/en_ie/referral/stephen958732

Im 181 :eek:

There's the podium sewn up a boards 123. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I'm in.

I think what I have to do for the next two weeks before hand will be tougher than the event.

And the Event is tough. :/

Didn't see the point on waiting till next year, what would I be waiting on?

A miracle?

I don't mind being the last person home. I'll be happy having completed it, if I can.

Best of luck everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I'm in.

I think what I have to do for the next two weeks before hand will be tougher than the event.

A miracle?

I don't mind being the last person home. I'll be happy having completed it, if I can.

Best of luck everyone.

I'm approaching it the same way. Doing lots of hills a couple of times a week the next couple weeks then hope for the best. Won't have done more than 120 before the big day. Finish = success, though my competitive spirit may try to engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'm in.

A miracle?

Best of luck everyone.
    Same here. Prep was going great in April but I injured my right leg. I'm heading out for a spin at the weekend so hopefully the leg will be OK.

I don't mind rolling over the finish in joint last with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

...I don't mind being the last person home....
    You won't be the last person home - by the time I get back to north Co Dublin, it will be very late. I must remember to take lights! :pac:

You won't be the last person home - by the time I get back to north Co Dublin, it will be very late. I must remember to take lights! :pac:

Any chance I can attach a lanyard to your seat post for the more vertical bits :D

If I see you at this one I more than likely wont be able to talk so just ignore my panting as you pass.

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Any chance I can attach a lanyard to your seat post for the more vertical bits :D...
    I'm a fairly slow climber! Better attach it to one of the stronger lads! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Why don't you drive to Greystones, do the WW200, then drive home like normal people! :)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Why don't you drive to Greystones, do the WW200, then drive home like normal people! :)

Machines don't think like normal people :D

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Have you been talking to my wife! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Thinking about giving this a miss. havent been on the bike in the last 2 weeks and furthest ive gone this year is just over 100km.

• Advertisement

neris wrote: »
    Thinking about giving this a miss. havent been on the bike in the last 2 weeks and furthest ive gone this year is just over 100km.

Get out on the bike! There's time yet. It was never going to be easy for us that aren't machines !

You can always do the 100.

Advertisement