Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

The Wicklow 200 is a recovery ride for the Boards.ie Evil 200 which usually takes place the day before - twice the climbing of the WW200 and it will cost you nothing (in monetary terms anyway!).

whats the route for that out of curiousity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

neris wrote: »

If curiosity doesn't kill you the route will!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

neris wrote: »

2015 Thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057378193

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

In 2 minds now - nippers first communion? thing is on the saturday, loads of folks coming to the house (inc from the UK) for a bit of a party.

I'm not sure that's the best preparation for a slightly tricky 200km spin on the sunday.

However missus is happy for me to do it still and I really want to (mainly because I know I can get a better average if the weather isn't as foul as last year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Right so, I've 2 options here:

1) Sleep in my own bed on the Saturday night, get up at 4am, breakfeast at home and a 2 hour drive (from south Kilkenny) to Greystones for the start (and scoff a little bit more en-route).. or

2) Drive up on the Saturday evening, stay in a hotel/B&B and drive to Greystones for 6.15ish.

Either option has pro's and con's. I'm leaning towards option 1 because I doubt very much I'll get a breakfeast in a hotel at 5-5.30am. Would I be right?

Wondering what do other people who have to travel for it do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Mugser wrote: »

1) Sleep in my own bed on the Saturday night, get up at 4am, breakfeast at home and a 2 hour drive (from south Kilkenny) to Greystones for the start (and scoff a little bit more en-route).. or

2) Drive up on the Saturday evening, stay in a hotel/B&B and drive to Greystones for 6.15ish.

Either option has pro's and con's. I'm leaning towards option 1 because I doubt very much I'll get a breakfeast in a hotel at 5-5.30am. Would I be right?

You could find the cheapest B&B around and bring your own breakfast in some tupperware boxes,muesli or other cereal and add your own milk,bread roll ect ect. If its cheap you won't mind missing the breakfast that goes with it. I'd much prefer the extra sleep over the breakfast from a hotel.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

the early start is the one necessary but annoying aspect of the wicklow. i live in dublin so its s short enough drive to the start, regardless, the alarm is set for just before 5am and i rarely get a wink before that due to excitement and my mind bracing itself for the early alarm call. i did the w200 on zero hours shut-eye last year and i felt it. given the choice i would try to be as close to the start as i can to maintain as normal a nights sleep as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What time does it normally start at?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    What time does it normally start at?

Not a mass start, so you turn up basically any time in the morning and leave once you've finished registration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

From last year's stats (link), the earliest starter for the 200 was @ 05:35 but the majority started at around 07:00.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

I started at 6 bells last year, soaked to the skin by ten past.
    Settling for the 100 this year because I'm off on holiday the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Since it moved to Greystones . Parkview Hotel in Newtownmountkennedy has been our base. Always got breakfast as its full of cyclists and they know who they are catering for. Also feed you late on the Sat if you warn them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I signed up for the 200 in December after having completed the 100 last year.

I'm a bit fearful now as May has a christening and a communion that will mean I'll miss out on bike time and valuable kms and metres. The weather has hindered me to some extent too.

If all I had to worry about was the start time I'd be as happy as a pig in sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

This is my first time doing this event. What sort of distance would I need to have done in my training? The most I've done was a 140k.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

martyoo wrote: »
    This is my first time doing this event. What sort of distance would I need to have done in my training? The most I've done was a 140k.

You be grand, the most i did before my first 200 was also about 140.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,131 ✭✭✭nilhg

The most important thing is to pace yourself, don't get carried away trying to stick in a group that's faster than the ideal, another one generally comes along anyway, especially on the flat bit between Hollywood and Hacketstown. I find it useful to treat something like the WW200 as three separate spins, just concentrate on getting to the next foodstop, you can refuel and recuperate there, if the weather is decent sitting for a while in the sun often seems to recharge the batteries a bit for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

The most I tend to do before the 200 is about 140-150 or there abouts. You'll be grand. It's 200km so it's going to hurt in the latter stages regardless but then again it wouldn't be a challenge if it didn't hurt would it?

Just pace yourself and don't stay in a group that's going a little too fast for you. You'll regret it later. Also remember, being the 200 there are always a few early heros. Don't go tearing off up the first hill because you saw a few lads tearing up it. The amount over the years I've seen take the first hills apart only to slog their way up SM & SE with nothing in the tank. It's not worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

How many typically participate in this event?

I must say the early start bothers me. Only time it is justifiable to wake at 5am is to go on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

D9Male wrote: »
    How many typically participate in this event?

I must say the early start bothers me. Only time it is justifiable to wake at 5am is to go on holidays.

You can start at any time. its a 200k cycle. The real question is what time do you want to cross the finish line? Its in June so its bright until 9pm, so you've plenty of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Last year, about 3000 register with about 2,500 actually participating in the event on the day - with an almost equal split between the 100 and 200 riders.

Every year around now the W200 thread takes on a familiar look. The mental anguish begins to show re how far, how fast, how long time wise.

Lads and Ladies.
    If you have been training for this over the last few months and have got in spins up to 140+km during our lovely spring in all sorts of weather your Body will be able for 200km in June. Its 1 day and its not a race. You will not care how long it took until June 2016 and nobody else really does though they may ask.
    Its your mind you must convince.
    If you look back at the threads over the years its more often than not the Worriers who report having great days as they follow the advice given here on the thread. The poster may change but the words of wisdom stay the same.
    So Keep Cycling, Keep Reading and ride to Rathdrum then when your head starts to doubt you can get back to Greystones you can be happy in telling yourself 'Shut up Mind,Keep pushing Legs' ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Esroh wrote: »
    Every year around now the W200 thread takes on a familiar look. The mental anguish begins to show re how far, how fast, how long time wise.

And sure as soon as it is over, the whole "where is me medal" debate starts :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::D

Hmm I should really start looking for a few more hills. :eek:

2015-05-18%2016.34.54_zpshksokkwd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Got the entry pack too this morning. Getting close now!

Hmm I should really start looking for a few more hills. :eek:

20150518_155226_zpsm1gu0zar.jpg
    Sure if they sent the keys to curtsey car you will be alright. ;-)

Esroh wrote: »
    Sure if they sent the keys to curtsey car you will be alright. ;-)

They must have seen me at the cycle4dsi last week :D Fat lad out the back :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can anyone tell me what time for the 100 we reg and leave at.
    The card mentioned 6am reg but it mentions a 7am and 9am start.... not sure which is right!

Thanks

I think the 200 lads have to register between 06:00-08:00

The 100 entrants seem to be able to register up till 09:00 because of the shorter distance they can start later I guess.

If you're in 2 minds as to the distance I'd suggest registering at the earlier times so you're not arriving home to late.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I think the 200 lads have to register between 06:00-08:00

The 100 entrants seem to be able to register up till 09:00 because of the shorter distance they can start later I guess.

If you're in 2 minds as to the distance I'd suggest registering at the earlier times so you're not arriving home to late.

Thanks buck, wasn't sure and want to make sure I get parking as don't know the area at all. Be nice to spin out with a group.

Advertisement