Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

Signed up for it earlier myself. Never been cycling in Wicklow to date so will have to start taking a few spins that direction over the coming weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Any other good wicklow sportives that I could use for preparation? The Randonee is clashing with another sportive so that is not an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,530 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Any other good wicklow sportives that I could use for preparation? The Randonee is clashing with another sportive so that is not an option.

What other sportive is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

Skoda cycle series Tour of Wicklow on 25th of April. Not as long (about 115k IRC) but has a few hills I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

3 peaks, 100km but has the climb into and outta Glenmalure

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94134522

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Buzwaldo wrote: »
    Skoda cycle series Tour of Wicklow on 25th of April. Not as long (about 115k IRC) but has a few hills I believe.

Any more info on this? Can't find anything online...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭2x4

I believe details of the Skoda Tour of Wicklow on 25th April will be on fitmagazine.ie before the weekend. Two new routes this year 100km and 45km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

MugMugs wrote: »
    LAds, I really want to do this.

I've said it to a few friends of mine, some of whom are MTB'ers to do it with me and the one seasoned roadie that I did ask gave me an outright no and the MTB'ers are still laughing at me.

I can lash out a 130k cycle no issues (biggest ride so far)

I can climb albeit with a bit of suffering.

Biggest climb I've done in a day was on the Mountain bike and that was over 1200m.

How hideous are these climbs? Are they near veritcal or are they gradual given that they're over 200KM ?

Are you Dublin Based?

I'm also a mtber at heart (Clydesdale at 230lb or so) plus I’m on an CX bike with Alfine gears (On-One Pompetamine) and had never cycled more than 80km before I did the Wicklow200 the first time.

A quote I was given before my first go was “If you can get from lamb doyles to the aerials without stopping, you can do the Wicklow200”, whilst not quite true I’d love to be able to lash out 130km with no issues. I think the worst climbs are the shay elliot/glenmalure ones, as they are the steepest bits and go on for a while and I have no low gearing (The climb past the abandoned mine works on the Wicklow gap is steeper I think but it feels shorter probably because at that point you are a lot fresher).

As mentioned above, you have to pace yourself for the 200km – for me the climb out of Avoca isn’t the worst even though it’s the last big climb – it’s the section directly after redcross which is a long slow ascent on rough roads with the occasional sharp climb that just drains you the whole way until you turn right to the tree arboretum.

Personally I think you’d be able to do the 200.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

saccades wrote: »
    Are you Dublin Based?

I'm also a mtber at heart (Clydesdale at 230lb or so) plus I’m on an CX bike with Alfine gears (On-One Pompetamine) and had never cycled more than 80km before I did the Wicklow200 the first time.

No, I am in Dundalk mainly but around Dublin during the midweek.

We've plenty of hills as it is so I will start a bit of training up the mountain roads and see how I fair.

When I can down in Dublin, I'll tip out when the evenings stretch up a bit and try a few of their climbs.

I am signing up irrespective. I've nothing to lose. Worst come to worst on the day, I can slip onto the 100 instead.

(side note: Have only ever seen one Pompetamine. Nice bikes and you can do quite a bit with them. Fellow On-One fanboi myself. Parkwood 29er. She cruises down Rostrevor like a breeze.) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Buzwaldo

xebec wrote: »

http://www.fitmagazine.ie/events/race/skoda-cycle-series-wicklow-sportive-2015

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Definitely doing this.

See you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭saccades

MugMugs wrote: »
    No, I am in Dundalk mainly but around Dublin during the midweek.

We've plenty of hills as it is so I will start a bit of training up the mountain roads and see how I fair.

When I can down in Dublin, I'll tip out when the evenings stretch up a bit and try a few of their climbs.

I am signing up irrespective. I've nothing to lose. Worst come to worst on the day, I can slip onto the 100 instead.

(side note: Have only ever seen one Pompetamine. Nice bikes and you can do quite a bit with them. Fellow On-One fanboi myself. Parkwood 29er. She cruises down Rostrevor like a breeze.) :)

Jeez - I remember the mtb marathon up around carlingford in about 2006? (forerunner/before the cooley thriller I think) if you can get up those hills in 1 go on a mtb you can do the Wicklow200. That route across the bogs was evil.

It's not a Pompetamine exactly, it's a Mk1 Pompino (original 135mm spacing) that I made into a Pompetamine before On-one thought of it by adding Alfine gears and brakes. It's my do everything bike (Pub, commuting, towing the kids and this, bit heavy but indestructable, and covered in rust). I do like the bang for buck ratio on On-ones, I also have a 456EBB prototype and an inbred for the missus (That sounds wrong...).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Guys, any idea what time the Ireland vs. England match would be on at?
    It's the same day as the WW200. And I'd really like to watch it as I have a ticket.
    I'd say I'd be about 8-10 hours doing the 200.

Confirmed for 1pm. Keep supporters soberish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

bazermc wrote: »
    Confirmed for 1pm. Keep supporters soberish.

Yep - it appears the KO has been brought forward.

Surely RTÉ could have used a better pic. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2015/0304/684545-england-clash-at-aviva-set-for-lunchtime-kick-off/

I'm not a big soccer fan so I'll gladly take the pain of the WW200 above getting a seat for the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Ah ffs! Have tickets for the game already :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

FFS is right, I have been really looking forward to this game as I have a season ticket. Bleedin typical, In all my years going to watch Ireland (about 30 years) I never remember a game been on as early as 1pm. ****in' Typical !!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Blog post here about the W200 in 2013.

https://dorneythoughts.wordpress.com/2015/02/07/my-wicklow-200-2013/

Poor Sebastian!

LennoxR wrote: »
    Blog post here about the W200 in 2013.

https://dorneythoughts.wordpress.com/2015/02/07/my-wicklow-200-2013/

Poor Sebastian!

Jaysus that sounds like hardship. What have I let myself in for? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Jaysus that sounds like hardship. What have I let myself in for? :eek:

Ah you'll be grand.

LennoxR wrote: »
    Ah you'll be grand.

I'll be turning left at the 100/200 split is what I'll be doing :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I am actually getting worried about this now. Was doing the Laois 100k today and some of the lads on it have done it and they nearly have me scared off!

It can't be that bad can it? I live near the route so I've been doing some spins down there so I'm hoping I'll be OK for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

martyoo wrote: »
    I am actually getting worried about this now. Was doing the Laois 100k today and some of the lads on it have done it and they nearly have me scared off!

It can't be that bad can it? I live near the route so I've been doing some spins down there so I'm hoping I'll be OK for it.

You'll be grand.
    It isn't as tough as some people make it out to be.
    A couple of years ago, I passed a guy on a Dublin hire bike.
    Another year, I passed one chap on a tandem.
    Keep up the mileage, pace yourself on the day, enjoy the experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Its not that bad at all - definitely doable. If you're unlucky with the weather, the wind and rain will be felt more sharply at the summits ( 400-550m elevation ). Elsewhere, the elevation is about 200m until you come out of the hills on to the coastal roads back to the start. Keep an eye on the forecast and bring your arm/leg warmers and a gilet/ wind jacket. I found the biggest moaners had just jerseys and shorts on:)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mugser

Signed up for this. Should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Im in for this. Not done anything over 100km since the 2011 ww200 . Hope the weather be better this time. Looking forward to it and getting training in down in wicklow. Think im going to include the orwell randonee in aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

neris wrote: »
    Think im going to include the orwell randonee in aswell.

also signed up for the randonee.....perfect prep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Will there be a boards.ie group setting out at all?

I am definitely in for the 100, but not so sure about the 200. It could very well kill me.

We'll also have our summer jerseys by then too ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,967 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Will there be a boards.ie group setting out at all?

I am definitely in for the 100, but not so sure about the 200. It could very well kill me.

We'll also have our summer jerseys by then too ;)
    The Wicklow 200 is a recovery ride for the Boards.ie Evil 200 which usually takes place the day before - twice the climbing of the WW200 and it will cost you nothing (in monetary terms anyway!).

Advertisement