Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The last hill is always the toughest. Slieve Mann is tough, but you'll only have just over 100k in your legs by the time you get to it. By the time you get to Kilcoole, speed ramps will be tough! ;)

ONLY??!! I'll take your word for it, I have only ever done 120km!!

I'm hoping the fact that I usually do hilly training and that I plan doing it slower/more steadily than the I would usually do spins at will get me home.

That said, I plan to drive the last 40kms or so, from Laragh back to Greystones, one of the evenings before the big day so I know what to look out for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

07Lapierre wrote: »
    The last hill is always the toughest. Slieve Mann is tough, but you'll only have just over 100k in your legs by the time you get to it. By the time you get to Kilcoole, speed ramps will be tough! ;)

And boy do we love our speed bumps in this country!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

ONLY??!! I'll take your word for it, I have only ever done 120km!!

I'm hoping the fact that I usually do hilly training and that I plan doing it slower/more steadily than the I would usually do spins at will get me home.

That said, I plan to drive the last 40kms or so, from Laragh back to Greystones, one of the evenings before the big day so I know what to look out for.

Yes only 100k. By the time you get to Kilcoole you'll have done 195K!

You've done 120K, so relax...you'll complete the WW200. No Problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭lissard

To my mind the last 40k is by far the hardest bit of the W200. You are mentally and physically prepared for all the long climbs (Wicklow Gap, Sliamh Mann and SE), I for one thought it was going to be flat after the long climb out of Avoca. This is not the case - there are a good few short climbs from there to the end. For instance there is a left turn out of Barndarrig that leads you into a slope of 15% for maybe 100-200m (https://www.strava.com/segments/8593523) . The day I did it the marshals were telling people to shift down to their lowest gear immediately before it. I saw one poor bastard fall off as he hit the slope in too high a gear - this after 170k. Seemed cruel after all the harder stuff earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I. Imagine the big boys aren't the massive issue on the w200. I'm more concerned about the roly poly hills in between the big ones and the amount of them.

Same with everything lads. Take a nice easy pace from the start, don't go hell for leather and keep yourself hydrated. All your training will pay off from there.

Going to try and do the tour of Louth on Saturday and Sunday next week as my final bit of prep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

No need really to do that, have a look at strava and you'll see that the road is up/down for most of it.
    The final part will look very different through tired eyes with sore legs than in a car anyway. Make sure you eat well on the bike and stop at every water stop to fill bottles.

No need really to do that, have a look at strava and you'll see that the road is up/down for most of it.
    The final part will look very different through tired eyes with sore legs than in a car anyway. Make sure you eat well on the bike and stop at every water stop to fill bottles.

Thanks for the advice, completely agree re stopping at every stop and filling up. Might still just do the drive so I know what to expect, I appreciate it will be completely different, but still good to know when hills end, for my head anyhow, maybe not for others! I deffo want to see the climb out of Avoca as it's not something I have done before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Thanks for the advice, completely agree re stopping at every stop and filling up. Might still just do the drive so I know what to expect, I appreciate it will be completely different, but still good to know when hills end, for my head anyhow, maybe not for others! I deffo want to see the climb out of Avoca as it's not something I have done before.

Yeah do drive it. I've a mate coming over from Sweden to do it and I'm going to drive him around some of the route on the Saturday, he has no idea what to expect so that should be some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

do they have hills in Sweden, did you trick your mate & tell them its a "piece of pish, you'll do it no problems"

Nothing like here. He's in Stockholm and his spins on strava rarely go above 50m above sea level!

• Advertisement

Nothing like here. He's in Stockholm and his spins on strava rarely go above 50m above sea level!
    Oh sweet mother of god, he is in for a surprise and a half!

It's all a ruse. He's training his ass off and will murder you on the day; probably training at altitude with a pro coach, only putting his little recovery sessions on strava....and you've taken the bait hook line and sinker.

this sounds awfull but I have an image in my head of the chef from the muppet show in lycra blowing, out his a**e on a bike! Im sorry, I have a warped sense of humour!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Any reviews of the day, explaining where the climbs etc? I have never cycled the area before. Been doing loads of training so I will hopefully be fine in terms of finishing it and I am ready for a hard day in the saddle. However, I would still like to put a basic route profile on my top tube so that I know when the tough hills are coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Any reviews of the day, explaining where the climbs etc? I have never cycled the area before. Been doing loads of training so I will hopefully be fine in terms of finishing it and I am ready for a hard day in the saddle. However, I would still like to put a basic route profile on my top tube so that I know when the tough hills are coming.

http://www.wicklow200.ie/climbs-on-the-w200-and-w-100/

This details the climbs, get it into notepad and chop it around to suit a stem

It's all a ruse. He's training his ass off and will murder you on the day; probably training at altitude with a pro coach, only putting his little recovery sessions on strava....and you've taken the bait hook line and sinker.

Believe me that has crossed my mind several times!

oconnpad wrote: »
    http://www.wicklow200.ie/climbs-on-the-w200-and-w-100/

This details the climbs, get it into notepad and chop it around to suit a stem

good man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Just found this thread and have read it from the start! Most of the talk here is about the 200, I've entered and am doing the 100 as I am a complete novice! Bought bike in March and have got a few spins in but not near enough. Today was the longest, approx 65k from Stepaside, into Enniskerry then onto Roundwood via the Long Hill (it was LONG!), up to Sally Gap, turn right and back down home. Worried that I will really struggle in the real thing, was ok after today's spin, back and ass sore from not being used to such a long cycle but not sure if I could do another 40k odd especially the way the last section is being described in this thread!

I am very slow on climbs but just keep spinning the easiest gear I have and got up everything today without stopping or walking, I would average something around 13-15mph normally, is this enough to prevent me finishing last!? I'm such a novice I'm not even sure what gears I have (think I need to count the teeth on the rings?!) Have the Cube Peloton Race and guys in shop said it would be fine for up around Wicklow!

Looking for some advice on what kit I should have for 100. All I have is cycling shorts, water bottle and saddle bag at the moment, need to get a jersey and puncture repair kit for starters, anything else essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Jim - you're overthinking it. You've done El Tiede. There's nothing in the WW200 that comes anywhere within a fraction of that. It's just a series of climbs where cyclists can be found any day of the week. There are no excessively long or steep bits.

AdpRo wrote: »
    Just found this thread and have read it from the start! Most of the talk here is about the 200, I've entered and am doing the 100 as I am a complete novice! Bought bike in March and have got a few spins in but not near enough. Today was the longest, approx 65k from Stepaside, into Enniskerry then onto Roundwood via the Long Hill (it was LONG!), up to Sally Gap, turn right and back down home. Worried that I will really struggle in the real thing, was ok after today's spin, back and ass sore from not being used to such a long cycle but not sure if I could do another 40k odd especially the way the last section is being described in this thread!

I am very slow on climbs but just keep spinning the easiest gear I have and got up everything today without stopping or walking, I would average something around 13-15mph normally, is this enough to prevent me finishing last!? I'm such a novice I'm not even sure what gears I have (think I need to count the teeth on the rings?!) Have the Cube Peloton Race and guys in shop said it would be fine for up around Wicklow!

Looking for some advice on what kit I should have for 100. All I have is cycling shorts, water bottle and saddle bag at the moment, need to get a jersey and puncture repair kit for starters, anything else essential?

You've done 65 already 100 will be no problem at all. If you're only cycling since March and you've already done Sally Gap then you have nothing to worry about!

Essentials? I would say bring more than one bottle and use hydration tabs. I use Cnp hydra max and find them great. Keeping hydrated for me is very important. Good with it and enjoy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

You've done 65 already 100 will be no problem at all. If you're only cycling since March and you've already done Sally Gap then you have nothing to worry about!

Essentials? I would say bring more than one bottle and use hydration tabs. I use Cnp hydra max and find them great. Keeping hydrated for me is very important. Good with it and enjoy!

At least 1 spare tube, 2 if you can fit them in and some tyre levers.
    Defo more than 1 bottle. Try and get a drink that has both carbs and eletrolytes like the High Five 2-1 energy source.
    Judging by recent weather in the Wicklow a good rain jacket. Wouldnt be too worried about a pump as most people will have one that you can borrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Postman has just delivered! :D

WW200_zpsurk6wb0w.jpg

Jim - you're overthinking it. You've done El Tiede. There's nothing in the WW200 that comes anywhere within a fraction of that. It's just a series of climbs where cyclists can be found any day of the week. There are no excessively long or steep bits.

Yeah I have plenty of training and hills done that I should complete Wicklow relatively unscathed! Still like to know what pain I have in front of me though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Ok folks I am looking to do a training spin of about 120km (round trip)on Friday for the Wicklow 200. I will be starting from Walkinstown and I was going to do Kilmashougue Lane first then back down and up Stocking Lane and out towards the Sally Gap. I am not really that familiar with the area towards the Sally Gap even though I did the Lap de Gaps last week.
    I was just looking if any of you could suggest a good route with suitable climbs ?
    Thanks in Advance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Ok folks I am looking to do a training spin of about 120km (round trip)on Friday for the Wicklow 200. I will be starting from Walkinstown and I was going to do Kilmashougue Lane first then back down and up Stocking Lane and out towards the Sally Gap. I am not really that familiar with the area towards the Sally Gap even though I did the Lap de Gaps last week.
    I was just looking if any of you could suggest a good route with suitable climbs ?
    Thanks in Advance

Head out from Walkinstown to the Spawell and out the N81. After Brittas take a left into Manor Kilbride. Then do the Lake drive around Blessington Lakes. Just after Ballyknockan turn left and head for the Wicklow Gap and down into Laragh. Turn left at Laragh and up Glenmacnass to Sally Gap. You can decide then whether to head home across the Featherbeds or take a left back towards Manor Kilbride. That should come in close to 120km.

crosstownk wrote: »
    Head out from Walkinstown to the Spawell and out the N81. After Brittas take a left into Manor Kilbride. Then do the Lake drive around Blessington Lakes. Just after Ballyknockan turn left and head for the Wicklow Gap and down into Laragh. Turn left at Laragh and up Glenmacnass to Sally Gap. You can decide then whether to head home across the Featherbeds or take a left back towards Manor Kilbride. That should come in close to 120km.

will look something like this

https://www.strava.com/activities/139826173

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

will look something like this

https://www.strava.com/activities/139826173

How did you get from Enniskerry back to Dundrum :p:p:p:p:p

bazermc wrote: »
    How did you get from Enniskerry back to Dundrum :p:p:p:p:p

bloody battery went in enniskerry, dam iphones

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

^^^ garmin edge 500😜

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Hunterbiker

Powermonkey Explorer (portable charger for smart phone)

Advertisement