Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options
  • 01-12-2014 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Just signed up for this today! My first sportive. Doing it with a mate of mine from Sweden. Nervous and excited at the same time! Now to start training...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Keep_Her_Lit

Erm ... just askin like ... will ye be wantin a medal for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Good man OP! Nothin like giving your self a goal/motivation for next year. The WW200 has its issues but overall it's a great day out. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Thanks for the thread.
    I signed up a few minutes ago, but I'll probably not do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

does this sell out quickly usually? Wouldn't mind waiting til Jan / Feb before stumping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭fillup

I signed up too

I'm aiming for the 200, it'll be the hardest cycle I've attempted by far. I did the RoK last year and that looks like a piece of piddle compared to this.

I'm off bike duties (bar the commute) at mo due to hamstring problems but it's nice to have something to aim for.

Now all I have to do is winter well, drop a stone and ride, ride, ride til June comes round

• Advertisement

diomed wrote: »
    Thanks for the thread.
    I signed up a few minutes ago, but I'll probably not do it.
    That's the spirit!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I'd be interested in knowing if this fills up quick. Not sure how fit I'd be for 200 with such elevation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It doesn't fill up quickly..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Yeah, you'll be fine to wait for another couple of months. There's often a few entries sold on this forum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

signed up there myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,126 ✭✭✭nilhg

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'd be interested in knowing if this fills up quick. Not sure how fit I'd be for 200 with such elevation.

I entered on the 7th of April last year so I'd imagine plenty of time yet.
    It's not a race, you'll have 13 or 14 hours to get round if you need to and it's not on for 6 and a bit months, plenty of time to prepare.
    fillup wrote: »
    I signed up too

I'm aiming for the 200, it'll be the hardest cycle I've attempted by far. I did the RoK last year and that looks like a piece of piddle compared to this.

I'm off bike duties (bar the commute) at mo due to hamstring problems but it's nice to have something to aim for.

Now all I have to do is winter well, drop a stone and ride, ride, ride til June comes round

Sure what else would you be doing?:) Apart from saying a few prayers that the weather is more like '13 than '14....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

does this sell out quickly usually? Wouldn't mind waiting til Jan / Feb before stumping up.

It always fills up. There are ALWAYS people, on here looking for entries, in the weeks before the event. I would hazard a guess, that you will be alright, leaving it 'til January.

There will also be people, on here, giving out about the cost, the food, the water, the medal, the route, the amount of climbing, the marshalling, the behaviour of other cyclists, the behaviour of motorists, signage, the speed of other cyclists, the midges, the weather, the delays in signing on, the cost, the slowness of other riders , the food, did I mention the medal?, the potholes, the difficulty in accessing the website, and anything else, they can think of.
    I forgot to mention the weather!
    You have to listen to thunder!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Eamonnator wrote: »
    It always fills up. There are ALWAYS people, on here looking for entries, in the weeks before the event. I would hazard a guess, that you will be alright, leaving it 'til January.

There will also be people, on here, giving out about the cost, the food, the water, the medal, the route, the amount of climbing, the marshalling, the behaviour of other cyclists, the behaviour of motorists, signage, the speed of other cyclists, the midges, the weather, the delays in signing on, the cost, the slowness of other riders , the food, did I mention the medal?, the potholes, the difficulty in accessing the website, and anything else, they can think of.
    I forgot to mention the weather!
    You have to listen to thunder!!.

Jeeze don't mention that bloody medal ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭zindicato

ahhh just take your time enjoy the day really dont worry much about fast finishing times/average speeds tis a grand day out on the bike ...... whenn the weather permits it :D we had ****e weather the last time around...soaked all day nearly:D

I know I'm going to regret asking this but what's the deal with the medal?

Don't mention the war!!

I should also have said, that there will be people, who claim, that they can do the Wicklow 200 on the day before the event or the week before the event. Ignore them ,they're wrong. There will also be people, who will say, that it's OK to do the W200, without paying. They're also wrong.

Combined with all this, there will also be a crowd of lunatics, who will encourage you to do a "gentle spin" named "The Evil 200". Just ignore them, hopefully, they'll just go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Combined with all this, there will also be a crowd of lunatics, who will encourage you to do a "gentle spin" named "The Evil 200". Just ignore them, hopefully, they'll just go away.

On the Evil 200 the going away is the easy bit, its the getting back again is the problem!:D

In the past, there have been problems with people, not getting their due medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I signed up just now. My target last year was the WW100 but I've eyed up the WW200 for 2015.

I just hope the weather is better than 2014!!

i found the thread from 2013 about the WW200 -
    or Where's me Medal as the Sultan's of Ping would have called it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Some myths about the Wicklow 200;

1. It's easy. Not true. It's a tough day in the saddle.

Not impossible or anything but always hard due to the climbs but mainly because of the length. But there are some people who'll tell you you can rock without training bla bla bla. No way. Prepare properly with several months of long hilly spins, ride sensibly on the day and you'll be fine. But do prepare.

2. The organisation is terrible. Not true.

There are several thousand people doing it and most of them arrive at the first food stop within an hour of each other. there's going to be queues. But on the whole the organisation, sing posting etc is very good.

3. "I did it in 4 hours moving time at an average of 50kph." LIES!

Lots of people will be claiming outlandish feats the day afterwards on the internet. Ignore them. Most of them are lying.

LennoxR wrote: »
    3. "I did it in 4 hours moving time at an average of 50kph." LIES!
    I did it in one hour on a unicycle carrying a bag of coal with no training. :)

Q Can I ride a recumbant? A penny-farthing? A unicycle?

A We’ve had them all (except a unicycle), so yes, you can ride more or less anything as long as it’s legal on public roads. The use of TRI_BARS is NOT allowed.

Remember that you are responsible for ensuring that your cycle is safe and suitable for the event. The Wicklow 200 is a serious challenge on any cycle, so only attempt it on a cycle that you are confident and safe on.
    Lies make baby Jesus cry !

Yes but did you get a medal for it?

I did it in one hour on a unicycle backwards playing the bagpipes carrying a bag of coal with no training. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

I did it in one hour on a unicycle backwards playing the bagpipes carrying a bag of coal with no training. :pac:

Pah, that's nothing, I used to dream of carrying a bag of coal, I left on a Sunday morning at 6 am hauling a cart of coal and brickets, carrying an anvil on my head, and no saddle, with a handful of cold gravel in my pocket for lunch, and got back at 8pm the evening before....

Had a look at it and going to steer for the 100 for kicks and giggles. Plan on being very active this year with my club but can't find anybody to do the 200 with me. My friends are all lazy Bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Had a look at it and going to steer for the 100 for kicks and giggles. Plan on being very active this year with my club but can't find anybody to do the 200 with me. My friends are all lazy Bastards.

Do the 200. There will be 2000+ people doing it so you are bound to meet up with a few. And sure you've got boardsies on here to meet up with.
    My friends are all lazy Bastards.

They are not your friends, they are just holding you back. Time to ditch them and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

weather last year was someting else, though it added to the day imo. the tailwind up the wicklow gap alone was worth the suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭lissard

I did it this year by myself and like all sportives you get talking to all sorts of people along the way. Having said that I don't think I'd fancy doing 8+ hours on my own again - it would be nice to have a friend to share the suffering with. Please God it won't be as wet next year - getting pissed on for hours on end wasn't much fun.

Advertisement