Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Powermonkey Explorer (portable charger for smart phone)

Have bought one since then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

diomed wrote: »
    Thanks for the thread.
    I signed up a few minutes ago, but I'll probably not do it.
    Number 28, and I won't do it. I might take some photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Ok folks I am looking to do a training spin of about 120km (round trip)on Friday for the Wicklow 200. I will be starting from Walkinstown and I was going to do Kilmashougue Lane first then...
    IMO doing longer drawn out climbs will be a lot more useful training for the WW200 than taking on that theatre of pain that is Kilmashogue Lane (too short/too steep/cul de sac).

If you're not too familiar with the area just head up Stocking Lane to the Sally Gap and straight through the crossroads and for Laragh (22k from SG). Have your tea/coffee/cake or whatever in Laragh (Hippie cafe on your left as you enter the village junction. Turn around and go back the way you came enjoying the beautiful Glenmacnass Valley and waterfall as you climb out of Laragh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Thanks for all the replies lads. Wishbone Ash, thats sounds like it could be a good plan alright. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

Thanks for all the replies lads. Wishbone Ash, thats sounds like it could be a good plan alright. Thanks again

Have a look at this climb from Enniskerry up to the mast on Kippure
    https://www.strava.com/segments/2705076?filter=overall

Its the longest climb i know of in Wicklow, 722m of climbing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Snako

What's up Guys,

I'm doing the 200, been training a fair bit, have a few 120km spins under the belt now, but I still haven't purchased gear yet. With payday looming on Thursday, I've decided to purchase narrower tyres and shorts, my bikes a tricross, and I've been told the tyres are loosing me power.

My question to all of you is, how essential are the shoes and clips? I've obviously done no training with them, and I figure it's too late to put them on now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

My question to all of you is, how essential are the shoes and clips?

I was in a similar situation to yourself. I just got shoes / clips a few months back and regret not getting them sooner. They do make a noticeable difference.

I wouldn't say it's too late at all. They do take a bit of getting used when you are getting in and out of them. I've had a few traffic light wobbles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

If anyone wants an entry Im not going to be using mine as I havent been out training and am sailing/drinking next saturday.

neris wrote: »
    If anyone wants an entry Im not going to be using mine as I havent been out training and am sailing/drinking next saturday.
    You should mention that on the thread for WW200 entries:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95563645#post95563645

• Registered Users Posts: 20,048 ✭✭✭✭neris

You should mention that on the thread for WW200 entries:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95563645#post95563645

cheers didnt realise there was another thread going

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Too early to start talking about possible weather for day?

Fingers crossed for calm and dry!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

bazermc wrote: »
    Too early to start talking about possible weather for day?

Fingers crossed for calm and dry!!!!!!

The forecast on yr.no has changed from a sunny day (20C) to overcast and 13C. It's probably a bit early for an accurate forecast but the important thing is that the rain stays away.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Nobody can tell if you're crying in the rain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

crosstownk wrote: »
    The forecast on yr.no has changed from a sunny day (20C) to overcast and 13C. It's probably a bit early for an accurate forecast but the important thing is that the rain stays away.

And wind. I hate wind!

IMO doing longer drawn out climbs will be a lot more useful training for the WW200 than taking on that theatre of pain that is Kilmashogue Lane (too short/too steep/cul de sac).

If you're not too familiar with the area just head up Stocking Lane to the Sally Gap and straight through the crossroads and for Laragh (22k from SG). Have your tea/coffee/cake or whatever in Laragh (Hippie cafe on your left as you enter the village junction. Turn around and go back the way you came enjoying the beautiful Glenmacnass Valley and waterfall as you climb out of Laragh.

Ok WishboneAsh, I did this last Friday. I went from Walkinstown up Stocking Lane out through the Sally Gap down into Laragh and then over the Wicklow Gap and another 8 kms past to make it 60km and then turned around and came all the way back. In between helping a poor lad who had punctured but whose pump wasn't working, poor lad was freezing and then it started pissing down. According to my Garmin it was 2035m of climbing which I was happy enough with but took me about 5hrs 15m which I wasn't that happy with but I was on my own and probably had too much time to think about the pain !!
    Anyway my question is if I could do that, should I be able to complete the 200 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Ok WishboneAsh, I did this last Friday. I went from Walkinstown up Stocking Lane out through the Sally Gap down into Laragh and then over the Wicklow Gap and another 8 kms past to make it 60km and then turned around and came all the way back. In between helping a poor lad who had punctured but whose pump wasn't working, poor lad was freezing and then it started pissing down. According to my Garmin it was 2035m of climbing which I was happy enough with but took me about 5hrs 15m which I wasn't that happy with but I was on my own and probably had too much time to think about the pain !!
    Anyway my question is if I could do that, should I be able to complete the 200 ?

Are you saying it was a total of a 120km spin with 2035m of climbing in 5hrs 15 mins?

If that's the case then you are ready for ww200 in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

oconnpad wrote: »
    Are you saying it was a total of a 120km spin with 2035m of climbing in 5hrs 15 mins?

+1 As you were on your own
    Then on the day remember

We all speak the same language. If you tag on a group and they are rolling thru just say hello and join in. Once you offer to help then 99% of groups will welcome you.

Yeah, at least that's what my Garmin 500 said after I hooked it up to Garmin Connect. I know that the climbing will be harder up Slieve Mann and Shay Elliott but I hope to get a boost cycling in a group on the day. Thanks for that oconnpad.

I think the 3 big climbs are only 1/3 of the elevation you'll do on the day so as people have already said pace yourself, in groups on the day will help a huge amount as your all in the same boat.

Now hopefully weather is good on the day

Yes, you'll be fine. And there's nothing wrong with a time of 5.15 for 120k with 2k climbing. That will be a faster average speed than many who will be doing the WW200. On the day, with large groups the time and km's and climbs will pass a lot quicker. Even dealing with inclement weather is much easier in a group

(Re: lad with pump not working - I've encountered several stranded cyclists who have bought cheap mini-pumps only to discover that they don't work when required. Better off getting a quality mini pump. I use a Lezyne and it has never let me down. It has also helped many others (even a lad in a race recently when I was marshaling).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,232 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

It's not a "real" WW200 unless it's wet and windy.... It's too easy in good weather! ;)

Looking at the forecast it looks promising for next weekend...should be a fantastic day if the weather plays along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Steroo

Ok time to hold my hand out to be slapped!

I'm new to Cycling since Dec... well I had a hybrid for commutes up to that point. Doing some Tri training the past few months. I regularly cycle howth head (not a mountain I know). Been on a few club spins (mostly Flat) 70-90km & managed ok.

Signed up for the ROK in July, so I decided to do Wicklow 100 in the interim.

But now I'm thinking sure if I'm there just have a go at the 200 & take my time & I might survive (or not??)... am I gonna be sorry???

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cantdoit

I think the 3 big climbs are only 1/3 of the elevation you'll do on the day so as people have already said pace yourself, in groups on the day will help a huge amount as your all in the same boat.

Now hopefully weather is good on the day
    Do the roving mechanics assist with punctures if anyone is to cold or knackered to manage it themselves. Latest weather is overcast but dry and temp. Normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Steroo wrote: »
    Ok time to hold my hand out to be slapped!

I'm new to Cycling since Dec... well I had a hybrid for commutes up to that point. Doing some Tri training the past few months. I regularly cycle howth head (not a mountain I know). Been on a few club spins (mostly Flat) 70-90km & managed ok.

Signed up for the ROK in July, so I decided to do Wicklow 100 in the interim.

But now I'm thinking sure if I'm there just have a go at the 200 & take my time & I might survive (or not??)... am I gonna be sorry???
    morning Steroo, my tuppence worth. You will only be sorry if you dont try it, if your feeling good after 80-90km why not, on the flip side if your feeling 2 bob bit, just do the 100!.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭fillup

Bloggsie wrote: »
    morning Steroo, my tuppence worth. You will only be sorry if you dont try it, if your feeling good after 80-90km why not, on the flip side if your feeling 2 bob bit, just do the 100!.

good luck.
    it doesn't work that way Bloggsie. The 100 & 200 split at Laragh so if Steroo wants to do the 200 he'll have to commit at Laragh.

Personally I think you're better off doing the 100 and push out the bigger distances for the RoK.

From what your post says it sounds like you haven't done a lot of climbing and I really wouldn't underestimate the demands of the Wicklow Hills.
    You could end up doing your self an injury or putting yourself off cycling by jumping in at the deep end with the 200.

Tog Go Bog E as they in the West, enjoy the 100 and you'll p1ss around the ring (feck all climbing on that one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭fillup

Cantdoit wrote: »
    Do the roving mechanics assist with punctures if anyone is to cold or knackered to manage it themselves. Latest weather is overcast but dry and temp. Normal.

And will they push you up the hills if your legs get tired and mop your brow when you get sweaty?

HTFU

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Looking at the forecast it looks promising for next weekend...should be a fantastic day if the weather plays along.

I can see my tan lines already ! :D

What type of spins are people planning this week in the lead up to this?

Staying off the bike completely
    gently leg spinners
    full on power rides and i'll deal with Sunday when it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

60K around the the lakes today. Lot tougher with that wind, hopefully it's gone by Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

What type of spins are people planning this week in the lead up to this?

Staying off the bike completely
    gently leg spinners
    full on power rides and i'll deal with Sunday when it happens

I'm planning on a 60-70k leg spinner on wed as the only spin of the week and take it easy until Sunday

Advertisement