Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow 200 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fillup wrote: »
    I don't follow the "pressing both knees" bit.

Care to elaborate?
    Cheers
    When you press both knees against the top tube, it breaks the oscillations travelling through the frame which give the wobble/vibration effect sometimes experienced on a long descents.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭fillup

The last time I had a wobble I was too busy trying not to sh1t myself and steer the bike that I wasn't thinking about what position my knees were in

• Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

fillup wrote: »
    The last time I had a wobble I was too busy trying not to sh1t myself and steer the bike that I wasn't thinking about what position my knees were in
    It's a vicious circle - the more you fear, the worse it gets. It seems a bit counter-intuitive but when you relax on a descent, the bike is much easier to control and you'll go faster.

On very long descents, the bitter cold at high altitude doesn't help. My first really bad wobble was on the 70km descent of the Timmelsjoch Pass (between Italy and Austria). It was the coldest I've ever been and I was shivering uncontrollably on the bike which just made me grip harder and exacerbated the wobble. Thankfully I was with another rider who knew what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭irishrover99

bazermc wrote: »
    No no invalid entries are people who didn't pay but took a medal and left the people who did deserve a medal without one. Me bitter? No!!!

I don't see how that could happen. I didn't get my medal until they scanned my card at the finish. I also received the meal voucher then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

This is the background picture being used on the homepage for wicklow200.ie

Come on, who's the boardsie? :)

homepage_2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Come on, who's the boardsie on a hybrid?

:pac:

(and who's the other one behind the first guy?)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

One thing's for sure - that photo wasn't taken last year! The sky is the wrong colour!!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

ror_74 wrote: »
    I remember joining up with different groups and everyone was complaining of hell on earth, and passing the ambulance with those chaps who crashed into the river.

But made it home in time for tea. :)

Nobody actually crashed into the river. The barrier on the bridge, the boulders at the side of the road, the bog beside the boulders and the road itself yes, but nobody managed to make it as far as the river :) I know this as I have the dubious honour, as far as I'm aware, of being the first person to crash there, still have the scars on my arse to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Something to be proud off,Mr Statler!!! But Im 99% sure that persons put up reports of bodies in the river for the 2011 200,and back then no one reported this as lie's!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Statler wrote: »
    Nobody actually crashed into the river. The barrier on the bridge, the boulders at the side of the road, the bog beside the boulders and the road itself yes, but nobody managed to make it as far as the river :) I know this as I have the dubious honour, as far as I'm aware, of being the first person to crash there, still have the scars on my arse to prove it.

OK then, Captain Buzz Killington - riverbank :p

In fairness, its more of a babbling brook than a river at that point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

It would have been easy enough to mistake the road for a river!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭WAPAIC

I seem to recall someone hit the wall on the descent from the Sally Gap and went over the parapet into the river. If it's not true, it still a good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,386 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Baby due on the 6th. Very tempted to sign up, if it came before the 4th I should be ok ....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

ted1 wrote: »
    Baby due on the 6th. Very tempted to sign up, if it came before the 4th I should be ok ....

Are you allowed by Doctors to cycle when 9 months pregnant????? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Statler

ror_74 wrote: »
    OK then, Captain Buzz Killington - riverbank :p

In fairness, its more of a babbling brook than a river at that point.

Ha, was a bit more than a babbling brook that day with the rainfall!
    WAPAIC wrote: »
    I seem to recall someone hit the wall on the descent from the Sally Gap and went over the parapet into the river. If it's not true, it still a good story.

Closest to that happening that I saw was someone hitting one of the big boulders on the corner and somersaulting over it, still attached to the bike and landing in the bog. Was impressive as crashes go but the poor bastard was in a bad way afterward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭laraghrider

Statler wrote: »
    Ha, was a bit more than a babbling brook that day with the rainfall!

Closest to that happening that I saw was someone hitting one of the big boulders on the corner and somersaulting over it, still attached to the bike and landing in the bog. Was impressive as crashes go but the poor bastard was in a bad way afterward.

While I didn't see any serious accidents at this spot, there were a few sliders and droppers in front and behind me alright, but going over the bridge and around the bend there were 2 lads sitting in the river covered in blood. Lovely sight altogether...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

While I didn't see any serious accidents at this spot, there were a few sliders and droppers in front and behind me alright, but going over the bridge and around the bend there were 2 lads sitting in the river covered in blood. Lovely sight altogether...

Also saw a few injuries that year, but probably worth noting to those doing the course for the first time that it is safe enough if you keep within your own descending ability and don't go totally rasher on the down hills. I seem to remember a few hay bails at danger points along with much more marshalling on this descent on subsequent years. This descent was also swapped out for the Wicklow gap about two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jester1980

Do people follow any sort of programme when trianing for this, did the ROK and 100 2 years back but back cycling now after injury and would love a crack at the 100..thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Have to take some time out from the running so will be giving this a go. Does anyone have a link to the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,220 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

martyoo wrote: »
    Have to take some time out from the running so will be giving this a go. Does anyone have a link to the route?

http://www.wicklow200.ie/the-2015-event/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Did they have anyone doing massage at the end of the cycle does can anyone tell me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

Ok signed up for the WW200. Now where's the registration page for the Evil200...

Did the Greystones to Laragh section of the route yesterday. Is it 200k or 200 hills? :)

Did the Greystones to Laragh section of the route yesterday. Is it 200k or 200 hills? :)

Its December.. I'm assuming you were wearing full winter gear? (jacket, gloves, hat, overshoes etc.). Maybe your bike had mudguards, lights etc?

In July you'll be fitter and lighter. It'll be easier.. (well a little easier)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Its December.. I'm assuming you were wearing full winter gear? (jacket, gloves, hat, overshoes etc.). Maybe your bike had mudguards, lights etc?

There's an assumption about the Irish summer built in that statement that may not hold true ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DD Mikasa

Sur there's no hills between Greystones and Laragh, the climbing STARTS at Laragh!! :)

Sur there's no hills between Greystones and Laragh, the climbing STARTS at Laragh!!

:eek:

Shar there's a few there around Kilmacanogue?? I think I might be in for a bit of a shock so.

Eh no I was a bit bare. Will get it kitted out properly over the Christmas break.

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

Planning to do this as my last BIG ride before heading to France for the Marmotte in July. How do they compare? I know Wicklow 200 is longer, has MORE individual climbs, but nothing as long as the Marmotte's climbs and nowhere near as much total vertical gain. The weather is likely to be a big difference too.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has done both. Would it be fair to say that if you can do the Wicklow 200 you can do the Marmotte? What kind of time should Wicklow 200 take you if you're aspiring to make the cut-off at the Marmotte?

My Marmotte goal will be to reach the bottom of Alpe d'Huez within the cut off, and from there, finish and get a cert. If I managed a silver medal time I'd be over the moon! My hotel is at the top of Alpe D'Huez so even if I don't make the cut-off I'll pretty much have to finish it anyway!

rb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

You can aim for what you cover in a week, on one particular event.

I haven't done the Marmotte, but have done similar and found that principle, broadly speaking, holds true.

• Advertisement

Red Belly wrote: »
    Planning to do this as my last BIG ride before heading to France for the Marmotte in July. How do they compare? I know Wicklow 200 is longer, has MORE individual climbs, but nothing as long as the Marmotte's climbs and nowhere near as much total vertical gain. The weather is likely to be a big difference too.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has done both. Would it be fair to say that if you can do the Wicklow 200 you can do the Marmotte? What kind of time should Wicklow 200 take you if you're aspiring to make the cut-off at the Marmotte?

My Marmotte goal will be to reach the bottom of Alpe d'Huez within the cut off, and from there, finish and get a cert. If I managed a silver medal time I'd be over the moon! My hotel is at the top of Alpe D'Huez so even if I don't make the cut-off I'll pretty much have to finish it anyway!

rb

Ive done both for the last 3 years..
    Yes, if you can do the WW200, you can do the Marmotte. BUT if you intend enjoying the Marmotte, you should be able to do the WW200 and feel fairly fresh at the end! If you finish the WW200 and your dead on your feet, then you could be in trouble in July.

Also, I wouldn't sit back and relx after the WW. get back out to Wicklow the next weekend and do a lumpy 150K each weekend until the end of June.

Advertisement