Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

The working class who usually didn't give a hoot about politics and corrupt governments have awoken. That will be the governments downfall.

Unfortunately no revolution is ever won or led by the "working class", its a fact of life.

This issue will die down just like the bin charges and the LPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

How much does he pay in USC, PRSI, Pension Levies, Insurance and Health Levies, VAT, VRT etc etc. Please ask him and come back and tell us.

He pays over 50% in income tax (state, municipal, health all thrown in).

The difference is that the Danes are responsible and we - especially these protesters - will see this country into the ground once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Varadkar came out and said it plain as day - You'll all end up paying for it in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

BoatMad wrote: »
    Unfortunately no revolution is ever won or led by the "working class", its a fact of life.

If you think that then you mustn't be from around my way. This won't die down before the government falls

At least if you're on a group scheme pretty much the bare minimum required to run the service is used. If you sign up to Irish Water you are paying for all sorts of irrelevant and unnecessary office-based consulting and liaising work that some high up fella thinks is necessary.

Leaving aside the fact that most Groups schemes were in fact "taken in charge" by the county councils, because financially they couldn't survive , nor maintain nor replace their infrastructure, that was initially provided by a grant of public money anyway.

• Advertisement

Varadkar came out and said it plain as day - You'll all end up paying for it in the end.

No chance

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

donvito99 wrote: »
    But paying for what exactly, where are the infrastructural improvements we've been paying for through general taxation?

Ask your local Government representative that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

He did very well. Very articulate, and really explained the issues succinctly and convincingly. Easily batted away the questions aimed at putting him under pressure - and really answered them, not just by waffle and avoidance.
    I would say he both won a lot of fans and swung people round to supporting what they are doing. Impressive guy.

Hi Enda

No chance

Perhaps, but it goes to show their arrogance. Smacks of FF back in their day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

The difference is that the Danes are responsible and we - especially these protesters - will see this country into the ground once again.

Once again? When was the last time?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

This time its different :) The final straw in the bale made entirely of final straws. Now if our overlords find a good excuse to bring the Revenue hound out, everyone will sh1t their pants once again and pay up

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The working class who usually didn't give a hoot about politics and corrupt governments have awoken. That will be the governments downfall.

Actually I would disagree with you. It is the middle class who have been squeezed and squeezed for taxes who are the ones who are being moved to protest and given they do vote in droves they will bring about the Governments downfall. This is why they are now panicking and making major concessions and changes to what was originally proposed because they know they have pissed off the people who do regularly vote.

Unfortunately the working class, students and the young tend not to vote in the same numbers. If this whole mess changes this situation then that will be one major positive to come from it.

If you think that then you mustn't be from around my way. This won't die down before the government falls

yeah they will, people have to earn crust, eat , sleep and ultimately get on with their lives. A few "dedicated/hard-liners" will try and keep the flame alive.

People are easily bought off, look at every general election.

The bizarre thing is how the Gov didn't see this coming !

No chance

so you want your neighbour to pay for your water or the guy across the road,

more of the "gimme free things " society

partially the middle classes are protesting cause they have been paying for all these "freebies" for too long.

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ask your local Government representative that one.

Yeah, they pissed it away on roads. Ask a civil engineer in the DCC water department and he'll tell you we'd need to spend twice as much to bring our water infrastructure up to scratch.

Delusional.

Yeah, they pissed it away on roads. Ask a civil engineer in the DCC water department and he'll tell you we'd need to spend twice as much to bring our water infrastructure up to scratch.

Delusional.

we needed the roads, again its all down to a country too immature to pay for its infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Maybe so, but once Irish water is disbanded ill be happy.

so you want your neighbour to pay for your water or the guy across the road,

more of the "gimme free things " society

partially the middle classes are protesting cause they have been paying for all these "freebies" for too long.

If they want to pay that's their right. It's my right to not pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

But we already are paying for it.

What a lot of people are incensed about is that they are paying for snouts to be firmly entrenched in another state funded trough.

People are worried that there is no real guarantee that our water infrastructure won't be sold off to the highest bidder in a couple of years time.

I am disgusted that far from addressing the waste and duplication in our Public Services this Government are hell bent on creating more waste and expecting it to be funded by more taxes from the usual suspects.

The only people who don't pay for water in this state are the long term unemployed who rent their homes and don't operate a motor vehicle!

If they want to pay that's their right. It's my right to not pay.

And conversely it's the governments right to penalise you not doing so. Says so right there in the Constitution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

gandalf wrote: »

Yes. And now the method by which you will pay for it is being changed.

I'm watching VB. It turns out that the brick throwing incident had nothing to do with the water protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Paul Murphy admitting on vinny he lost control of the crowd and there was 'elements of a riot'.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm watching VB. It turns out that the brick throwing incident had nothing to do with the water protesters.

That was mentioned in the Sunday Times yesterday. Apparently it happened after someone with an outstanding warrant was arrested, and the water protesters had dispersed.

Didn't read it myself as I don't have a subscription, but the article was by Frank Fitzgibbon

Here's a tweet from him about it

https://twitter.com/FrankSunTimes/status/533756408475295744

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭omega man

Far too much austerity being pushed onto an already screwed population.
    They have had enough.

Yes but that's how a country exits a major recession unfortunately. If the recovery is maintained and there is no retraction of austerity then yes their time is over and the reigns will be handed over to a more understanding and rewarding government. What's the political alternative as we speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

MouseTail wrote: »
    Paul Murphy admitting on vinny he lost control of the crowd and there was 'elements of a riot'.

I'm not watching. But I would say they are a well matched pair. Two products of fee paying private education, latterly heroes of the revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭AboutaWeekAgo

Yes. And now the method by which you will pay for it is being changed.

If that's the case will the taxes that have been paying for it up to now be taken away or will we just be paying double?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 drynne

For the umpteenth time we already pay for water.

We also pay for the fire service in tax. So why do people get landed with a €500 bill for a call out?

We also pay motor tax for maintenance of roads so why am I avoiding pot holes on roads?

What we pay for water is barely keeping an antiquated system running. To get the water infrastructure in this country to where it needs to be it needs investment. Boil notices all over the country, over 40% treated water lost through leaks. Government needs the cash to develop it.

omega man wrote: »
    What's the political alternative as we speak?

Reverse the gains made in the public finances and the confidence now plain to see in the economy.

• Advertisement

gandalf wrote: »

What a lot of people are incensed about is that they are paying for snouts to be firmly entrenched in another state funded trough.

People are worried that there is no real guarantee that our water infrastructure won't be sold off to the highest bidder in a couple of years time.

I am disgusted that far from addressing the waste and duplication in our Public Services this Government are hell bent on creating more waste and expecting it to be funded by more taxes from the usual suspects.

The only people who don't pay for water in this state are the long term unemployed who rent their homes and don't operate a motor vehicle!

I don't dispute this, I'm making reference to his arrogance about the fact that he's inferring that you (the people) can kick and scream all you want but you'll all end up paying for it anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement