Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭omega man

ha, I am victim of the recession, I have had to emigrate recently to gain employment. It saddens me to see a small cohort of society try and damage the recovery.

And by god I disagree with a lot of the governments actions, I think it is funny that Irish Water is the final straw for some people,

It is exactly the type of charge that should have been around for decades to give a sustainable tax base...

I just think there is an extremist element fuelling this uproar as it may be the final really tangible fee to be introduced... and their last chance to vent

This. some of the actions over the last few days are absolutely embarrassing. If this government, albeit who are far from perfect, fall over water rates then we will seriously damage our recovery.

Is our economy not the fastest growing in Europe or not? Are jobs not being created every day? We need stability now more than ever and this nonsense won't help. I like many am screwed with taxes left right and centre and things are tougher then ever but thank god my company are doing well again and there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. I hope in time others less fortunate than me will see better times soon too but it won't happen if this goverment fell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Varadkar going down in flames on primetime.

Missed it.

synopsis?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Isolated me hole. They are battoning their way into the hearts of the Irish People, day after day.

Precious, aren't we? Not a single baton has been drawn as far as I've followed the protests. Pepper spray, I think? Pushing? Certainly. The Guards do as they are required to and for that I'm very happy indeed. Keeps people like you a barge pole away from the democracy I enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

omega man wrote: »
    This. some of the actions over the last few days are absolutely embarrassing. If this government, albeit who are far from perfect, fall over water rates then we will seriously damage our recovery.

Is our economy not the fastest growing in Europe or not? Are jobs not being created every day? We need stability now more than ever and this nonsense won't help. I like many am screwed with taxes left right and centre and things are tougher then ever but thank god my company are doing well again and there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel. I hope in time others less fortunate than me will see better times soon too but it won't happen if this goverment fell.

This government is toast. The "recovery" if that's what you want to call it (because I see no sign of it around my way) will be lead by the hard working people of this nation not the corrupt shower of rubbish in Leinster house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Busy... another film ;)

Best quote of the new thread ( so far ) Ha :D:p

• Advertisement

No these are all lies propogated by Denis O'Brien in his personal publications. Ipso facto they don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 drynne

The thing that makes me sick about the water meter protests is the way the workers are being treated. Fair enough if you want to protest, its everyones right. But firing abuse at some joe soap thats just earning a crust is bad form plain and simple. Next thing the postmen will be getting abuse for delivering the bloody bills!!

There is also very little being said on the topic of people on group schemes. Ive been paying for water in a group scheme for at least 5 years because the council wouldnt bring the main out the country. Where were all these people protesting when people on group schemes are paying for water through taxes and paying the group scheme? Dont see why people in urban areas should get free water.

Its madness we arent paying for water.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Far too much austerity being pushed onto an already screwed population.
    They have had enough.

I spoke to a Dane today who said he pays close to €2,000 a year in water charges and 1% property tax p/annum.

But the difference, clearly, is cronyism. Because if it weren't for the cronyism, Joe, we'd all have jobs and wouldn't have to pay any taxes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Missed it.

synopsis?

He did very well. Very articulate, and really explained the issues succinctly and convincingly. Easily batted away the questions aimed at putting him under pressure - and really answered them, not just by waffle and avoidance.
    I would say he both won a lot of fans and swung people round to supporting what they are doing. Impressive guy.

• Advertisement

drynne wrote: »
    The thing that makes me sick about the water meter protests is the way the workers are being treated. Fair enough if you want to protest, its everyones right. But firing abuse at some joe soap thats just earning a crust is bad form plain and simple. Next thing the postmen will be getting abuse for delivering the bloody bills!!

There is also very little being said on the topic of people on group schemes. Ive been paying for water in a group scheme for at least 5 years because the council wouldnt bring the main out the country. Where were all these people protesting when people on group schemes are paying for water through taxes and paying the group scheme? Dont see why people in urban areas should get free water.

For the umpteenth time we already pay for water.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

This. some of the actions over the last few days are absolutely embarrassing

Embarrassing for some and satisfaction for others. I've met plenty of people in daily life, in shops, down the pub and on the street, and there is a growing sense of "finally".

The government made this mess. They could have created a new and probably unpopular tax and it would have done just the same as they claim IW is needed for. And a tax can be maintained or lessened or adjusted later on in the government's life or the next government. They choose to make something that could be sold off and people can see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Isolated me hole. They are battoning their way into the hearts of the Irish People, day after day.

Well this is the biggest load of nonsense I've read in a while. The restraint shown by the guards in the videos I've watched has been unbelievable in the face of serious provocation from the "peaceful" protestors. Try some of the ****e they're at in any other country and they'd have seven shades knocked out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Woodville56

BoatMad wrote: »
    Yes it will, as it essentially pays for the whole country. That big rural house you live in , is in essence subsidised by all those ordinary people shoved into cramped housing estates.

Please tell me more - I live in the country, not in a "big rural house" a 3bed detached on which I pay a mortgage, I pay a contribution to the local group water scheme for the water supply, I pay property tax, motor tax and PAYE on my earnings - just like hundreds of thousand of others . Now tell me how we are subsidised by " all those ordinary people shoved into cramped housing estates"
    Bit of a generalisation there on your part methinks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Leo under pressure.

I used to like him. I've gone off. I believe he will rue the day. Hopefully voters will remember next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

We are. We are paying for it in our taxes, and if you pay taxes then so are you. Simples

He did very well. Very articulate, and really explained the issues succinctly and convincingly. Easily batted away the they questions aimed at putting him under pressure - and really answered them, not just by waffle and avoidance.
    I would say he both won a lot of fans and swung people round to supporting what they are doing. Impressive guy.

That's not what I saw. I saw Denis O'Brien blahblahblah cronyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Your local councillors are probably falling over themselves to vote to abolish Irish Water. Something over which they have no power whatsoever. And all the time they continue to charge people on the water schemes. Including some on schemes which draw their water supply from the public mains. Complete hypocracy, no sign of them voting to abolish their own charges. But they get a fools pardon from the mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I used to like him. I've gone off. I believe he will rue the day. Hopefully voters will remember next election.

He's a smug git

vicwatson wrote: »
    We are. We are paying for it in our taxes, and if you pay taxes then so are you. Simples

But paying for what exactly, where are the infrastructural improvements we've been paying for through general taxation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

For the umpteenth time we already pay for water.

For the umpteenth time, how you are going to pay for it is being changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Varadkar going down in flames on primetime.

Definitely.

I read a post here today thay Varadkar tore Coppinger apart on Radio.

Newstalk I believe.

They must have skewed that debate ,because Coppinger came across as someone who knew what to say,and when.

Varadkar was simply embarrassing,
    resorting to cheap digs,and coming across as a bully.

Very impressed with Coppinger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

fullstop wrote: »
    Well this is the biggest load of nonsense I've read in a while. The restraint shown by the guards in the videos I've watched has been unbelievable in the face of serious provocation from the "peaceful" protestors. Try some of the ****e they're at in any other country and they'd have seven shades knocked out of them.

So that's a good thing then? Somthing you'd welcome? Whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Paul Murphy on Vincent Browne now

No doubt in for quite a grilling

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donvito99 wrote: »
    I spoke to a Dane today who said he pays close to €2,000 a year in water charges and 1% property tax p/annum.

But the difference, clearly, is cronyism. Because if it weren't for the cronyism, Joe, we'd all have jobs and wouldn't have to pay any taxes...

How much does he pay in USC, PRSI, Pension Levies, Insurance and Health Levies, VAT, VRT etc etc. on top of his Income Tax? Please ask him and come back and tell us.

Augmerson wrote: »
    Embarrassing for some and satisfaction for others. I've met plenty of people in daily life, in shops, down the pub and on the street, and there is a growing sense of "finally".

The government made this mess. They could have created a new and probably unpopular tax and it would have done just the same as they claim IW is needed for. And a tax can be maintained or lessened or adjusted later on in the government's life or the next government. They choose to make something that could be sold off and people can see it.

The working class who usually didn't give a hoot about politics and corrupt governments have awoken. That will be the governments downfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

[/B]
    So that's a good thing then? Somthing you'd welcome? Whatever.

Can you point out where I said that please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

He's probably the best and most honest politician Fine Gael have. He will be a future leader of FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Billing and Asset Management systems are not rocket science and should be absolutely scalable. There are utility companies (including water) up and down the UK that managed it seamlessly after deregulation.

but thats not what IW went and did. ( can't be seeing buying anything from the Brits now can't we) The fact is that Bord Gas lied in its bid and the Gov, in a panic to do this is in a hurry, allowed BG to continue .

I have no issue with reasonable metered water charges , I hate the way IW was setup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

At least if you're on a group scheme pretty much the bare minimum required to run the service is used. If you sign up to Irish Water you are paying for all sorts of irrelevant and unnecessary office-based consulting and liaising work that some high up fella thinks is necessary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement