Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

MouseTail wrote: »
    Paul Murphy admitting on vinny he lost control of the crowd and there was 'elements of a riot'.

Paul Murphy was doing crowd control? Jesus he must be hard up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

gandalf wrote: »
    But we already are paying for it.

You don't get it do you, the fact is you ar'nt already paying for it, the infrastructure is collapsing.
    What a lot of people are incensed about is that they are paying for snouts to be firmly entrenched in another state funded trough

yes, but the monies here are not the problem,( they are small in comparison) the narrow tax base is.
    People are worried that there is no real guarantee that our water infrastructure won't be sold off to the highest bidder in a couple of years time
    To be honest so what, its not like the semi states don't charge the arse of us anyway, I couldn't care less. At least a private company wouldn't be shackled with the nonsense that is all these CC workers
    I am disgusted that far from addressing the waste and duplication in our Public Services this Government are hell bent on creating more waste and expecting it to be funded by more taxes from the usual suspects.

Yes, but there will always be some waste, its a complicated task to balance.
    The only people who don't pay for water in this state are the long term unemployed who rent their homes and don't operate a motor vehicle!

Again you don't get it, there is a budget deficit, the taxes collected DO NOT pay for the system the country is running. one way or the other , if you want those systems , you will have to pay for it

The is no free lunch, which you seem to ignore.

donvito99 wrote: »
    And conversely it's the governments right to penalise you not doing so. Says so right there in the Constitution.

Bring it on. Won't be just me they have to chase for it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

If that's the case will the taxes that have been paying for it up to now be taken away or will we just be paying double?

Yes. It's an increase in taxes. Ultimately, it will mean people who use more water will pay more in water charges, and income tax rates will come down.

You'd swear people have been trapped in a lift for 6 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Paul Murphy on Vincent Browne now

No doubt in for quite a grilling

Yep

To be honest there was a lot of damage done,replayed video was ugly.

Burton getting hit was uglier,baloon or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

drynne wrote: »
    What we pay for water is barely keeping an antiquated system running. To get the water infrastructure in this country to where it needs to be it needs investment. Boil notices all over the country, over 40% treated water lost through leaks. Government needs the cash to develop it.

If Apple, Google, Facebook etc. paid a fraction of the tax the working class did we would have had enough money ten times over. It is unfair to hit people who havent got it with more taxes/charges.

Bring it on. Won't be just me they have to chase for it :D

Just another freeloader, paid for by the rest of us. ( ps remember the LPT ( can't pay wont pay, can't pay wont pay.......can pay will pay , can pay will pay, 95% compliance)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Yes. And now the method by which you will pay for it is being changed.

So we will see the reciprocal reduction in other taxes then yes?

I don't believe that has been promised by the Government. Can you show me where this has been stated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

If that's the case will the taxes that have been paying for it up to now be taken away or will we just be paying double?

Both really. Yes the diversion of general tax revenue to water services will stop so you will not be paying that way.
    And yes, we will be paying double. Which is good news since it will bring the payment up to the correct level for a good sustainable service rather than the underfunded infrastructure the current system was only half funding. What you will pay over the next ten years is also paying for what you didnt pay over the last 30 years.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If Apple, Google, Facebook etc. paid a fraction of the tax the working class did we would have had enough money ten times over. It is unfair to hit people who havent got it with more taxes/charges.

No they simply would move to another country and not only would we not get whatever millions they play, we'd looses all the tax from the workers and have to find SW for them.

see "mobile capital" in any reasonable dictionary

seriously you cant believe the nonsense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,339 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If Apple, Google etc are told they have to pay more taxes, they'll just piss off back to America and the jobs will be lost, so it's a bit of a pickle that one.

I don't believe that has been promised by the Government. Can you show me where this has been stated?

well the 100 quid is a start

but ultimately we have to pay more tax , this is just one way.

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0919/644947-income-tax-change/

It's pretty obvious that income tax levels will come down as the burden eases and the political reality for the government becomes more stark.

So in a few years, income taxes will fall, and those who pay more are the ones who waste more water.

Seems like a good idea for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

It doesnt need to be. It happens automatically. If the government stops transferring part of your taxes to water services, then you arent paying for water through your taxes. So of course, taxes can come down, or be diverted to something else for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭omega man

And thousands less jobs. Not saying you're wrong but it's worth pointing out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Both really. Yes the diversion of general tax revenue to water services will stop so you will not be paying that way.
    And yes, we will be paying double. Which is good news since it will bring the payment up to the correct level for a good sustainable service rather than the underfunded infrastructure the current system was only half funding. What you will pay over the next ten years is also paying for what you didnt pay over the last 30 years.

Oh dear, you're not so naive as to think all this extra revenue will be put into infrastructure repairs are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭James esq

The water company will go the same way as the Eircom privatization, instead of investment successive owners will progressively asset strip all €40Bn assets that are already there and currently owned by the Irish people.

This "off the books" argument, is very wrong on a number of different levels. Firstly it portrays the a sort of nudge nudge wink wink type of vibe saying that any further expenses should really be on the books but were are doing it this way to exploit a sort of false accounting and secondly it will enable future private owners to obtain funds not necessarily and probably not for use in strengthening the water infrastructure, existing assets will be used as collateral to buy unrelated assets elsewhere.

I have been listening to all the same burnt out and for the most part penniless economists supporting this privatization in the hope of getting some crumbs from the fat cats table. They remind me of that genius "garret the good" who at 63 put every penny he had on on the disaster aviation floatation.

I don't mind paying for water, as I have been doing this all my working life through taxation, I do object to giving a €40Bn donation to an unknown private investor.

BoatMad wrote: »
    Just another freeloader, paid for by the rest of us.

Yeap. I employ 4 people and ive worked since i left school in 1990. A freeloader lol.

How much tax you pay last year friend?

dav3 wrote: »
    Oh dear, you're not so naive as to think all this extra revenue will be put into infrastructure repairs are you?

And you're naive enough to think we can pay for it presently... jebus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

BoatMad wrote: »
    No they simply would move to another country and not only would we not get whatever millions they play, we'd looses all the tax from the workers and have to find SW for them.

see "mobile capital" in any reasonable dictionary

seriously you cant believe the nonsense

So you think paying less than 1% tax on billions of euros of profit is fair?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Paul Murphy was doing crowd control? Jesus he must be hard up.

He actually appeared quite shaken himself by the infiltration. I think he might have been a little naive. He totally batted away the suggestion, on Marian Finnucane I think, that Stewards be provided on future protests. This appears to be out of the control of AAA/SP at this stage.

omega man wrote: »
    And thousands less jobs. Not saying you're wrong but it's worth pointing out.

So it's okay if they don't pay tax then?

drynne wrote: »
    We also pay for the fire service in tax. So why do people get landed with a €500 bill for a call out?

We also pay motor tax for maintenance of roads so why am I avoiding pot holes on roads?

What we pay for water is barely keeping an antiquated system running. To get the water infrastructure in this country to where it needs to be it needs investment. Boil notices all over the country, over 40% treated water lost through leaks. Government needs the cash to develop it.

There is a current budget deficit, THAT means , you don't pay enough motor tax, income tax, fire tax or whatever

I mean where have you been in the least 5 years

MouseTail wrote: »
    He actually appeared quite shaken himself by the infiltration. I think he might have been a little naive. He totally batted away the suggestion, on Marian Finnucane I think, that Stewards be provided on future protests. This appears to be out of the control of AAA/SP at this stage.

It's a people driven revolution, nobody gives a hoot about AAA or SF etc...

So you think paying less than 1% tax on billions of euros of profit is fair?

They dont actually make billions of profit in ireland , they play a legal transfer pricing game.

The country actually loosing billions in tax is the USA, not us.

It's a people driven revolution......

yes , uptil about Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

http://www.rte.ie/news/business/2014/0919/644947-income-tax-change/

It's pretty obvious that income tax levels will come down as the burden eases and the political reality for the government becomes more stark.

So in a few years, income taxes will fall, and those who pay more are the ones who waste more water.

Seems like a good idea for me.

Absolutely no mention of paying twice for water resulting in lower taxes, or indeed any mention of water in that article.

Only a reduction in the higher rate, which is what you would expect from FG, pandering to the right.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If you mean working class as in low income earners, they pay hardly any tax in the first place. Apple and Joe Blogg's on the min wage have that in common. It is the person earning 40k a year who is getting screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

He did very well. Very articulate, and really explained the issues succinctly and convincingly. Easily batted away the questions aimed at putting him under pressure - and really answered them, not just by waffle and avoidance.
    I would say he both won a lot of fans and swung people round to supporting what they are doing. Impressive guy.

Others disagree, but I haven't seen it so cannot comment wither way.
    And conversely it's the governments right to penalise you not doing so. Says so right there in the Constitution.

What does it say in the constitution about not paying Irish Water?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

It's a people driven revolution, nobody gives a hoot about AAA or SF etc...

It was.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement