Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IW/Anything Water Related-Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

hju6 wrote: »
    You don't know , or haven't a fcuking clue what a thug is.

I do. And so do you. But you seem to give a pass when the victim is a politician. I guarantee you if you were trapped in your car while some guy and his friends surrounded it and banged on it and shook it, all because they didn't like you, you would be calling them thugs. And I guarantee you if a guy threw a brick at your car you would call him a thug.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Is it true Irish water employees don't work weekends or after a certain time midweek?

Sister lives in Roscommon but not in the "serious enough" area so they say. Water looked real bad few weeks ago so she rang IW who told her to ring council who told her it had to be reported to IW who then said to ring back at 9am the next morning.

Must ask her what happened. I know that a good few from the area were going to call but I forgot about it till now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Tinkersbell

hynesie08 wrote: »
    If they're working, They're not unemployed.

That's what enda says too.
    How come the state is paying people on jobbridge to work for private companies?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

Jobbridge I think.
    It's actually €20 a week (on top of €188)
    40 hours for just over €5 an hour. Nice for some employers.

most interns work for nothing. lots of university grads are dying to get a suitable intern.

Its not much benefit to employers, its designed to get someone some relevant experience.

good idea in general

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

BoatMad wrote: »
    Im not sure the poor pay for that much in reality, I mean they can't. If you look at statistics the main payers into the tax system as the middle classes. Thats why taxes like LPT and water charges are so effective in raising revenue, they actually target the vast majority in the middle.

The worst place to be in ireland is just above the poverty line, not just below it.

The middle classes, the bulk of the peaceful prostesters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Tony EH wrote: »
    Drowning in its own ineffectuality.

If the Times is right,this is a major climbdown.

And it raises a lot more questions about the entire debacle.

better then paying them to work for IW.

why shouldn't the state help unemployed people gain relevant intern experience.

gladrags wrote: »
    If the Times is right,this is a major climbdown.

And it raises a lot more questions about the entire debacle.

huh, a delay of 6 weeks raise "more questions". I suspect the 6 weeks is to allow all the computer system to be re-programmed and the DoSW to get organised to give out the green shield stamps.

most interns work for nothing. lots of university grads are dying to get a suitable intern.

Its not much benefit to employers, its designed to get someone some relevant experience.

good idea in general

My mates on forced jobscam for the council, 10 lads fighting for a go of shovel

Good idea for reducing the live register, one of Maggies ploys in the eighties

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

LOL if that Irish Times article is true then the Government have gone beyond panic mode. Keep the pressure up.

For the moment heres a bit of music for the Coalition ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

better then paying them to work for IW.

why shouldn't the state help unemployed people gain relevant intern experience.

Nah it's better for them to be on the dole cause they can vote for Paul and Ruth and Joe and get a free gaff given to them and pay nothing for water, nothing at all as a matter of fact. Cause the bondholders will pay for everything loike, like they we us, y'know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Is it true Irish water employees don't work weekends or after a certain time midweek?

That's like a lot of people, including me tbf though.
    If they're working, They're not unemployed.

It is an internship scheme for the.........

C'mon, think hard......

• Registered Users Posts: 9,725 ✭✭✭hynesie08

In theory to retrain/give experience so that people can enter/re-enter the workforce and contribute to the economy. Of course we both know this isn't always the case.

I still stand by the fact that the term "Unemployed working" Doesn't make any sense though.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

These people causing damage should be arrested and charged.

A small minority of society is being allowed disrupt the running of the government which the Irish people democratically elected.

Many people have reservations about IW, but we have come so far to get this country back on a footing where we can begin to look at a sustainable future.

People have made so many sacrifices, we will not let a lowly bunch of cretins disrupt this recovery.

Wait until the next election and vote for the shinners and see what the outcome is, you'll see that you do not have the support of your fellow electorate, despite your deluded beliefs.

You make it sound like these protesters are predominantly Shinners.
    You are very wrong.
    The vast vast majority of protesters are ordinary working class people who are just fed up paying and see no end to it. I know people in their 80's and some as young as 18 who were on protests. Shinners form a very small percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I do. And so do you. But you seem to give a pass when the victim is a politician. I guarantee you if you were trapped in your car while some guy and his friends surrounded it and banged on it and shook it, all because they didn't like you, you would be calling them thugs. And I guarantee you if a guy threw a brick at your car you would call him a thug.

I condemn the violence at recent protests, but I find it a bit disingenuous for you to include "all because they didn't like you" in your analogy. Burton & co are not being harassed because people don't like them, they're being harassed because they're robbing Peter to pay Paul, where Peter is an ordinary citizen and Paul is someone high up in the political hierarchy or with close links to the aforementioned hierarchy.

If I took a bunch of money out of your wallet, told you it was for your own good, and then gave it to some lad I was in school with who is already rolling in it, you'd be pretty pissed off at me, wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

These people causing damage should be arrested and charged..

So says the guy from London. Try living here first and contribute your taxes to have a sincere view on the water protests.

In theory to retrain/give experience so that people can enter/re-enter the workforce and contribute to the economy. Of course we both know this isn't always the case.

I still stand by the fact that the term "Unemployed working" Doesn't make any sense though.

Ever heard of the black economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Sister lives in Roscommon but not in the "serious enough" area so they say. Water looked real bad few weeks ago so she rang IW who told her to ring council who told her it had to be reported to IW who then said to ring back at 9am the next morning.

Have heard a few stories like this myself. Which begs the questions, why set up a company like Irish Water if they are going to be sub contracting some work back to the council? Would it not be best to leave this type of work to the council, it would save an awful lot of money?

Another thing how in the name of christ did they spend over 80 million on consultants alone :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

You make it sound like these protesters are predominantly Shinners.
    You are very wrong.
    The vast vast majority of protesters are ordinary working class people who are just fed up paying and see no end to it. I know people in their 80's and some as young as 18 who were on protests. Shinners form a very small percentage.

The indo would love everyone to believe that it is Sinn Fein organising these protests.

Fine Gael sugar daddy Denis needs to pay back a few favours to he's fine Gael mates!

My mates on forced jobscam for the council, 10 lads fighting for a go of shovel

Good idea for reducing the live register, one of Maggies ploys in the eighties

surely bette then 10 lads fighting for a go a the Sw desk?,

many jobs bridge people gained a lot from the scheme, I know several

• Advertisement

I condemn the violence at recent protests, but I find it a bit disingenuous for you to include "all because they didn't like you" in your analogy. Burton & co are not being harassed because people don't like them, they're being harassed because they're robbing Peter to pay Paul, where Peter is an ordinary citizen and Paul is someone high up in the political hierarchy or with close links to the aforementioned hierarchy.

If I took a bunch of money out of your wallet, told you it was for your own good, and then gave it to some lad I was in school with who is already rolling in it, you'd be pretty pissed off at me, wouldn't you?

They're "robbing Peter" to run the bloody country. If we could all be shown some proof of this enormous country crippling "cronyism" (no anti-IW post would be complete without cronyism) that'd be just great.

huh, a delay of 6 weeks raise "more questions". I suspect the 6 weeks is to allow all the computer system to be re-programmed and the DoSW to get organised to give out the green shield stamps.

I suspect the 6 weeks is buying time, hoping the anger will die down....

moxin wrote: »
    So says the guy from London. Try living here first and contribute your taxes to have a sincere view on the water protests.

I live here and pay my taxes here and will pay my water charges and I like many agree with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Jobbridge I think.
    It's actually €20 a week (on top of €188)
    40 hours for just over €5 an hour. Nice for some employers.

I know a couple of people that started working via job bridge with no work experience in the field they wanted to work and after the internship they got a full time job at the same company, a job they otherwise would not have gotten.

Yes, there might be abuse of the system but there are some real people that benefited from this system.

It comes down how this is implemented and handled by individual companies.

Ah, it does if your trying to spin figures....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Its really not that black and white and you know it.

The middle classes, the bulk of the peaceful prostesters.
    The vast vast majority of protesters are ordinary working class people .

Wait, I'm confused. Who's right here?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,739 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

A small minority of society is being allowed disrupt the running of the government which the Irish people democratically elected.

Oh sorry - I thought you were referring to Enda's "gang of 4" (and unelected department officials) Economic Management Council there for a minute - y'know, the ones who are disrupting the running of the government and using the whip system to enforce their decisions without proper debate or a vote.

Here's some more reading for you - backed by a FG backbencher no less

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Another thing how in the name of christ did they spend over 80 million on consultants alone :confused:

I'd love to have a list of people they employed as consultants and would bet my bottom dollar that there'd be a few familiar names on it, and no doubt another few who turn out to be pals with people who were responsible for setting it up / deciding who to employ as consultants.

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    Wait, I'm confused. Who's right here?

We both are,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement