Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tánaiste Moany Burton: IW protesters 'seem to have extremely expensive phones'

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

I don't equate the 'country' to low life business people and landlords who hire cheap labour and exploit ordinary decent Irish people

Neither do I equate the country with how well the economy is performing. I'm no whore
    so what is your country? turf and spuds?

The kind of citizen that wouldn't sell out his people to make a quick profit

Lenin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

turf and spuds?

:rolleyes:

Let's not forget the EU imposed sanctions on bog cutting which has essentially been a practice in Ireland for thousands of years.

I think this sums up the irony of your pathetic post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

Yes honest hard working people will turn up with pitch forks at your door if you refused to pay, they'll think you're just like the wasters on the television and chase you out of town. Get a grip, no one gives a sh1t if you pay or not.

No they wouldn't have time for that kind of thing! It would be more to do with how I'd feel about it.

:rolleyes:

Then what? a country of unemployed people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Lenin?

Sure looking like it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

keith16 wrote: »
    A woman who is completely out of touch with reality. Recent quotes (that I will paraphrase):

On job-bridge abuse: "I suppose it's up the schools themselves, it would be disappointing if job-bridge is being used in that way"

On the McNulty / Seanad debacle: "It's a matter for Fine Gael"

And now this.

She is supposed to be a leader of our country and this is the type of indifferent, entirely pointless stuff she comes out with?

Joan and her sad of excuse of a party will be shown the door soon enough and I for one can't wait.

no, she's actually supposed to help keep us all argueing long enough to get to march 2016, did you not get the memo, this government is corrupt and will do or say anything to stay til their time is up
    Willfarman wrote: »
    I don't believe this is anything more than gifting a new crowd of buffoons a licence to print money.
    However these protesting wasters have ruined any chance of momentum of support from real working class people..ie people who actually hold down jobs and run small businesses.. If I refuse to pay my water charges now I'm afraid I'm going to be tarred with the same brush as these scroungers so I'm going to end up complying I would say.

what will you do if it turns out you're in the minority though?
    TallGlass wrote: »
    Don't forget they get free tablets in the Dail.

http://www.thejournal.ie/leinster-house-already-provides-tablets-for-tds-527957-Jul2012/

Do they pay for anything in the Dail ? Should we really have to pay them wages if we provide everything they need to live/work?

thank you, i was waiting on somebody to pull out that link, it only took 146 replies, now if we only had enough internet to put up links to the rest of their wonderful perks. dont forget they most likely charged a weekend seminar on how to use these tablets like they did to learn how to use social media, all paid for by us, oh and don't dare ask who ran the seminars...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

The kind of citizen that wouldn't sell out his people to make a quick profit

My definition is someone who contributes positively to society.

TheDoctor wrote: »

i think the poster would agree as long as the person has roots to ireland pre-the flight of the earls.

And your argument is that protesters don't?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

Would these people not be better off spending such an amount of time actually looking for work instead of protesting?

this stupid post should have have a link to advailable minimum or better wage jobs ,rather than advertising the stupidity of the post.:D

And your argument is that protesters don't?

Hassling people doing their jobs
    Taking up police time
    Protesting on something that went through legislation months ago and now wont be changed

No, cant see any positive benefit from what they're doing

Hassling people doing their jobs
    Taking up police time
    Protesting on something that went through legislation months ago and now wont be changed

No, cant see any positive benefit from what they're doing

Your talking nonsense. Even a small victory for these protesters would immediately affect you.

Of course you're too high and mighty to see this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭Yarf Yarf

Can't wait to see Burton and the rest of the Labour party get the arse kicking they richly deserve in the next election.

Your talking nonsense. Even a small victory for these protesters would immediately affect you.

Of course you're too high and mighty to see this.

What small victory do you potentially see so?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,494 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Well, from seeing a lot of the YouTube output it could be very interesting.

There will be a right clamour of groups vying to be in front.

If the likes of Eirigi are to the forefront it could be a very messy day.
    Eirigi: imagine if the Iona Institute, the communist party & the BNP all had a grotesque baby.
    shudder

Wouldn't even be able to get an abortion with the Iona crowd involved

And this is relevant to my request for you to show some figures as to what you need to be earning in Ireland to be in the top 10% of tax contributors, how exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

No they wouldn't have time for that kind of thing! It would be more to do with how I'd feel about it.

Do you think that these people you see are the overwhelming representative majority of those that won't pay?

What small victory do you potentially see so?

Tell me this, did you get a government grant to undertake your studies?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

What came out from Joan is the same attitude that some people have in relation to unemployed people. Giving out that some unemployed people have wide screen flat screen TVs.

Well I don't it be possible that someone bought their TV at time when they were in employment but now that they are unemployed begrudge them their TV and expect the unemployed to sell their TVs.

I've never appeared in a water protest video but if I was to appear holding up my phone videoing away, what people will see would be a very basic budget smart phone bought for 109 euro. When I was shopping for my phone to me so many smartphones looked the same. Just rectangle screens. Some idiot would no doubt point and say I have an iPhone.

We're becoming a country that's very hitlerish. It's only a matter of time that people will begruge their neighbours a pair of shoes or the shirt on their back.

Tell me this, did you get a government grant to undertake your studies?

No, I worked through College to pay my own registration fees. Anything else?

See my previous motto about if you want to do anything, do it yourself.

You never elaborated on what small victories these protesters might achieve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

there should be no welfare increases, except for the genuinely vulnerable if there is a case for them, throw the rest into job creation, lowering taxes to spur growth, repay debt and infrastructure, win / win for everyone except those who dont want to work and while they are at it, reduce it down to virtually nothing for long term unemployed (once they know this will happen in advance, they are far less likely to f**k around)...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

And this is relevant to my request for you to show some figures as to what you need to be earning in Ireland to be in the top 10% of tax contributors, how exactly?

Might have been some other poster hun.

But two things to note regarding your query.
    - Just over 4% of those in work earn over 100k
    - the top 20% of workers pay 71% of income taxes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

I don't believe this is anything more than gifting a new crowd of buffoons a licence to print money.
    However these protesting wasters have ruined any chance of momentum of support from real working class people..ie people who actually hold down jobs and run small businesses.. If I refuse to pay my water charges now I'm afraid I'm going to be tarred with the same brush as these scroungers so I'm going to end up complying I would say.
    That's the most ridiculous and cowardly/spineless political reasoning there is: 'I disagree with the water charges, but people I don't like disagree with it too, so I think I'll comply with it for-fear-of-association/to-spite'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

What came out from Joan is the same attitude that some people have in relation to unemployed people. Giving out that some unemployed people have wide screen flat screen TVs.

Well I don't it be possible that someone bought their TV at time when they were in employment but now that they are unemployed begrudge them their TV and expect the unemployed to sell their TVs.

I've never appeared in a water protest video but if I was to appear holding up my phone videoing away, what people will see would be a very basic budget smart phone bought for 109 euro. When I was shopping for my phone to me so many smartphones looked the same. Just rectangle screens. Some idiot would no doubt point and say I have an iPhone.

We're becoming a country that's very hitlerish. It's only a matter of time that people will begruge their neighbours a pair of shoes or the shirt on their back.

Ah yes, Hitler, that renowned begrudger . Literally the only thing he is famous for is begrudgery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I have recently also downsized my plates from a big dinner plate to the little cake plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The difference between IW Protesters and politicians is that the protesters can't claim their phones on expenses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

They're just a rent-a-mob out to stir up trouble. They're just NO NO NO with nothing positive to add. My road became infected with them this morning. The sooner they go away the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

It's oddly ironic that the most Hitlerish poster is defending the protestors - not that I have anything against defending the protestors (fair play, even if I don't 100% agree with them), just funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,740 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And this thread has been Godwin'd, 12 pages that's pretty quick too :P

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Tánaiste Joan Burton has questioned how protestors objecting to water meters on the grounds of ability to pay can have video equipment that would "put Hollywood in the ha'penny place".

The Labour Party leader was quizzed in the Dáil about a number of protests which have resulted in arrests, and whether it was appropriate use of Garda resources.

She expressed her surprise at the standard of equipment protestors have. "All of the protesters that I have seen before seem to have extremely expensive phones, tablets, video cameras," she said.
    "There has been the most extensive filming in relation to any of these actions that I have ever seen anywhere.

"Hollywood would be in the ha'penny place compared to what's done here."

personally i think this woman is way out of line here, i've seen those videos, most of them and i haven't seen one truely expensive piece of camera equipment amongst the protestors, unless you count the RTE cameraman that was around the other day, took footage and never showed it anywhere!

she's doing her best now to try tarnish the protestors in the lead up to saturdays march with buses coming from all over Ireland to show the government and those on the fence that there's a rising tide of people going to stop the installation of meters across the country and it's growing everyday, despite and in some cases directly because of the garda crackdowns and all the government spin/propaganda fcukin lies!! :pac:

moany auld tramp is all she is in my opinion and she can get it out of her head if she thinks the country are going to elect her as president a few years from now!!

this government deserve to be told to fcuk off out of it now and we elect a new crowd in asap, one that has an almost tangible fear of doing the wrong thing by the people and who may then actually stand up for us all instead of selling us all out!

And the stupid bag will insist everything like paying bills will be done online and then have the gall to criticise the bill payers for have a computer.

Advertisement