Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tánaiste Moany Burton: IW protesters 'seem to have extremely expensive phones'

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Gatling wrote: »
    Most people don't seem to realise the top 10% earners in this country pay the majority of the tax pot .
    Unlike the protestors sitting in holes all day .
    Who are more than happy to sit there give me give me give

No I was there yesterday and I have a job. Not everyone works 9-5. Carry on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

Idbatterim wrote: »
    there should be no welfare increases, except for the genuinely vulnerable if there is a case for them, throw the rest into job creation, lowering taxes to spur growth, repay debt and infrastructure, win / win for everyone except those who dont want to work and while they are at it, reduce it down to virtually nothing for long term unemployed (once they know this will happen in advance, they are far less likely to f**k around)...
    Yes, lower taxes - thus widening the budget deficit - to help repay the public debt (instead of expanding it to fill the budget gap...), and having money left over to spend on job creation; congratulations on demonstrating basic economic/accounting illiteracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Have Sinn Fein found the magical money tree yet that will finance their fantasy land finance policies?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Have Sinn Fein found the magical money tree yet that will finance their fantasy land finance policies?

Yeah they just aren't telling anyone where it is

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

'TAX DEH RICHES!' - actual SF campaign slogan.

• Advertisement

VinLieger wrote: »
    Yeah they just aren't telling anyone where it is

Excellent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Yes, lower taxes - thus widening the budget deficit - to help repay the public debt (instead of expanding it to fill the budget gap...), and having money left over to spend on job creation; congratulations on demonstrating basic economic/accounting illiteracy.

so lowering taxes will always lead to a decrease in tax revenue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

No, I worked through College to pay my own registration fees. Anything else?

See my previous motto about if you want to do anything, do it yourself.

You never elaborated on what small victories these protesters might achieve?

So you paid registration fees yet still got government assistance I'd imagine?

folan wrote: »

Depends how the rest of the economy is doing, and if Gov can stimulate growth in other areas to replace the income tax not taken in.

However this takes a few years to do and with our current deficit plan in place we dont have the wiggle room to be attempting this at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ChillMhantain

Gatling wrote: »
    Most people don't seem to realise the top 10% earners in this country pay the majority of the tax pot .
    Unlike the protestors sitting in holes all day .
    Who are more than happy to sit there give me give me give

I am not happy to be sitting here with a "give me attitude". After graduating college I paid my taxes for 15 years. Four years ago my rent went up and my salary went down. I had to move home. Last year I lost my job. I'm on the dole 11months. Collecting the dole every tuesday you are looked down on like you are a piece of ****.

My day starts with going on jobs.ie and sending CVs to jobs for which I never get a reply. Yes I have an iphone, it was supplied by my last job. It got cut off and I'm now on pre pay. Do you know what its like sitting at home all day, I've never been this depressed in my whole life. Its hard to get to sleep and in the mornings its a struggle to get out of bed. BOREDOM. Thats what the last 11 months has consisted of. I doubt many people want this situation.

Fair play to these people protesting. I have nothing left to give.

• Advertisement

So you paid registration fees yet still got government assistance I'd imagine?

I never applied for a college grant, if that's what your asking.

'TAX DEH RICHES!' - actual SF campaign slogan.

If Sinn Fein told me that they would reduce water charges and get the remaining money from the rich I would vote for them.

I'd love to see the person who hires people through job bridge get the bollo.x taxed off them.

I'd have zero sympathy

Even though you were entitled?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

No, I worked through College to pay my own registration fees. Anything else?

Registration fees are not tuition fees. Registration fees only cover student services. They are around one-third of the cost of tuition fees, which I think average out at €9,000, and are funded by the taxpayer every year.

Even though you were entitled?

I couldn't tell you what the cut off point was a few years ago, never looked into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,759 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No he's talking about the college fees, you paid registration but technically the government paid for your college course. Not sure where's he's going with it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

If Sinn Fein told me that they would reduce water charges and get the remaining money from the rich I would vote for them.

who are "the rich"? Where would the new tax start?
    I'd love to see the person who hires people through job bridge get the bollo.x taxed off them.

Do you mean people who hire people after a successful Jobbridge, or those who abuse it? Id prefer to see it used properly.
    I'd have zero sympathy
    with those who have to pay more taxes?

VinLieger wrote: »
    No he's talking about the college fees, you paid registration but technically the government paid for your college course. Not sure where's he's going with it though.

The Gov pays College fees for every Irish student in Ireland on their first, third level course under the age of 24 (not sure what the position is for mature students).

You can then get a grant on top of this and have your registration fee paid for you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Our higher rate of tax kicks in at a ridiculous 32,500, before PRSI, USC, property tax and water charges kick in. What rich?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Incredibly out of touch comment.

The cost of that equipment these days is relatively low and pretty much the entire developed world now carries smartphones and has easy access to recording equipment.

I suspect she just doesn't like the idea that a protest can get instant social media attention due to all these HD cameras people carry in their pockets that are capable of uploading protests directly to social media in a matter of seconds.

I get a faint whiff of a regret that we don't live in a more censored society with less technology.

If she were on the opposition benches she'd be delighted with all these devices being at protests.

The fickle nature of politics is sometimes quite sickening. Once they're in power, the whole outlook changes.

The simple reality is that Labour have nailed their colours to the mast on this and are clearly pushing through Irish Water and metered water charges despite the fact that there's significant public opposition.
    That public opposition will be expressed at the ballot box. FG will probably lose a lot of support too

Sadly, people have a short memory and will completely forget that FF actually committed us to introducing these charges in the first place!

It just strikes me as very odd that Labour are going to basically commit political suicide by strapping themselves to an economic model of water supply that is firmly based in capitalist, liberal economics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The Gov pays College fees for every Irish student in Ireland on their first, third level course under the age of 24 (not sure what the position is for mature students).

You can then get a grant on top of this and have your registration fee paid for you too.

Not quite. It's 3k per year per student for those who don't qualify for a grant, so if you've three kids going to college that's 9k a year out the door before books, rent, living costs, bills, etc. It costs about 10k a year to send someone to college overall.

If you _do_ qualify for a grant, then no fees to you, but the average grant is less than half the dole, and that's for rent, books, bills, food, everything.

Neither is realistically feasible. Whole rethink needed over higher level funding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

That's the most ridiculous and cowardly/spineless political reasoning there is: 'I disagree with the water charges, but people I don't like disagree with it too, so I think I'll comply with it for-fear-of-association/to-spite'.

Well that's the trump card that the government have. Protesting wasters. Sinn Fein and independent td such as mick Wallace might as well be digging the holes for the meter boxes themselves. No descant working people want any association with them. And like it or lump it we are still the majority.

folan wrote: »
    "Government Budget-Balance" = "Revenue Income" - "Government Spending".

You do the math.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Well that's the trump card that the government have. Protesting wasters. Sinn Fein and independent td such as mick Wallace might as well be digging the holes for the meter boxes themselves. No descant working people want any association with them. And like it or lump it we are still the majority.

Dobbo said something like that.

Willfarman wrote: »
    Well, if people voluntarily deprive themselves of their political power to protest, they kind of (literally) lose the effective ability to complain about political issues as well...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

SF are defo getting my vote next time around. Had it with the labour clowns.

I couldn't tell you what the cut off point was a few years ago, never looked into it.

When you find out let me know.

I know people who paid taxes in this country all their lives when third level wasn't free and now find themselves unemployed.

To add insult to injury would be to have snotty nose trainees who got government assistance in college look down their noses on these ordinary decent people.

You should be grateful that people like this exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

well the economy is growing despite the recent austere budgets isnt it? I am talking about marginal rate income tax cuts. I see the effect the 52% rate has on people that can do something about it, i.e. turning down the hours, not going for promotions, if self employed turning down work or simply taking cash. If anyone thinks the penal rate of marginal tax here is a good thing, they are sorely mistaken...
    Sadly, people have a short memory and will completely forget that FF actually committed us to introducing these charges in the first place!
    yes charges that should have never been scrapped in the first place! Here is a brilliant idea, we will just throw everything onto income tax, (that wont effect morale, entrepreneurship, risk taking, work / reward ratio at all)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 BarryLyndon

"Government Budget-Balance" = "Revenue Income" - "Government Spending".

You do the math.

Economics 101?

If you'd stayed around for Economics 102, you might have learned about how lower tax rates can in theory stimulate demand and raise revenue elsewhere (thereby offsetting cost of lower tax revenue from tax cuts).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

SF are defo getting my vote next time around. Had it with the labour clowns.

Advertisement