Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tánaiste Moany Burton: IW protesters 'seem to have extremely expensive phones'

Options
1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

Old people should be exempt from these things as they do not need fear put into them as they have enough worries in life.Not old myself but we will all be old someday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

How dare people get free upgrades from their mobile network... Twat!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

How far out of touch have Labour become with the common man? They are going to get annihilated in the next election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

How far out of touch have Labour become with the common man? They are going to get annihilated in the next election.

Hopefully they'll get sent off to whever the greens are now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

Was Ivor Callely was supplying the phones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

She used to be great when she was in opposition and abusing them in the Dail.But now she has power she has become a gee bag like the rest of them.Such a shame.

If they can refurbish a bar in the Dail then they can stop these water charges.Old people in their homes afraid to flush the toilet or have a bath.
    On a island full of rivers and lakes with high rainfall we have to pay for water.A basic human right.

We have always had to pay for it, now we have to pay extra towards the bank debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Old people should be exempt from these things as they do not need fear put into them as they have enough worries in life.Not old myself but we will all be old someday.

Certain old people can well afford it, easy. I don't think they should be all exempt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

No they shouldn't. A lot of old people have very small outgoings and decent incomes from pensions along with medical cards/free travel/fuel allowances etc.

The image of every single pensioner huddled around candles for warmth terrified to turn on the heating needs to be done away with because it is just used as an emotive electioneering tool.

The ERSI released a report last week saying that they were the only group basically completely unaffected by the economic collapse.

Another group that are part of society when it comes to getting something from it but are completely protected from giving even the tiniest thing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

No they shouldn't. A lot of old people have very small outgoings and decent incomes from pensions along with medical cards/free travel/fuel allowances etc.

The image of every single pensioner huddled around candles for warmth terrified to turn on the heating needs to be done away with because it is just used as an emotive electioneering tool.

The ERSI released a report last week saying that they were the only group basically completely unaffected by the economic collapse.

Another group that are part of society when it comes to getting something from it but are completely protected from giving even the tiniest thing back.

So we started on the unemployed being all wasters. Now we are onto the Pensioners, I maybe wrong but they did work all there lives and pay taxes. Or do you think they never worked a day in their lives and moved from sw to oap ?

This is just getting ridiculous now seems the only people that are worth anything now are the ones currently employed. Will be interesting to see once they retire and the government is dipping into their hard earned pensions will they have the same opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

So we started on the unemployed being all wasters. Now we are onto the Pensioners, I maybe wrong but they did work all there lives and pay taxes. Or do you think they never worked a day in their lives and moved from sw to oap ?

If pensioners today took out what they paid in, we wouldn't need the ponzi scheme that the pension system has become.

The taxes they paid all their lives paid for the running of the state at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

If pensioners today took out what they paid in, we wouldn't need the ponzi scheme that the pension system has become.

The taxes they paid all their lives paid for the running of the state at the time.

Interesting concept, So the only people not to be further taxed are the people working right now paying into the system ? And once you stop paying into the system you become a burden regardless of how much you paid in at the time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBh49dlscQ wave your phone to Joan song to be number 1 by Xmas

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

This was in Saturdays Indo website
    "Tanaiste Joan Burton has secured additional funding to pay for relief from water charges. Ms Burton had already planned to give a €100 discount to 415,000 people on the households benefits packages, including the over 70s, carers and people with disabilities."
    http://www.independent.ie/business/budget/budget-2015-revealed-1000-new-teachers-and-1pc-tax-cut-in-budget-30655482.html

we have them on the ropes! :pac:

hopefully we hurry that election along sooner rather than later! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Old people have it easy. They've had their whole life to sort out their finances - and - if something goes wrong, oh well. They've only got a small amount of life left.

Young people have it rough. They'll be paying LPT, IW and God only knows what else for the rest of their lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

UCDVet wrote: »
    Old people have it easy. They've had their whole life to sort out their finances - and - if something goes wrong, oh well. They've only got a small amount of life left.

Young people have it rough. They'll be paying LPT, IW and God only knows what else for the rest of their lives.

a lot less people have it easy anymore, let's get that much straight, a huge amount of people are not going to pay IW and will be the cause of it's demise, then when people end one catastrophy they'll most likely move onto the next issue needing fixing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Didn't joany splurge 5gs of tax payers money on a get together for former hse staff?

Speak with your votes people and get out and vote more importantly

• Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Didn't joany splurge 5gs of tax payers money on a get together for former hse staff?

Speak with your votes people and get out and vote more importantly

And vote in who?

One trick ponies like Paul Murphy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

And vote in who?

One trick ponies like Paul Murphy?
    she has zero respect for anyone... an absolute me feiner imo.. and she was photographed taking pics of protestors with an iphone 6 after making that statement jesus she makes my skin crawl.

let the people decide who to vote in fianna fail could worm way back in after this water charge fiasco god forbid sinn fein

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

And the old people were the young people once, it's all swings and roundabouts.

I try usually to have compassion and empathy for people, but there are a few people who on boards who are quite disgusting you above are one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I think Joan Burton's time as Labour party leader is up big time. She needs to recognise that Labour are heading out into the abyss with their policies and there is no going back on that very thought.

Her comments are bordering on discrimination against the people who were protesting against the water meters being installed and on anyone else who have a motivation to protest on anything negative that comes their way in the future, especially if it comes from our government.

Even though I wasn't there last Saturday but the march against water charges taking place that day does give the rest of the Irish people the message that they are not stupid and have a voice that is really vigorous and effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

she has zero respect for anyone... an absolute me feiner imo.. and she was photographed taking pics of protestors with an iphone 6 after making that statement jesus she makes my skin crawl.

let the people decide who to vote in fianna fail could worm way back in after this water charge fiasco god forbid sinn fein

Don't get me wrong I despise Labour but I think voting for Independants who camgaign on a popular anti government issue like water charges is a short sighted move, they have no real influence once elected.

I'll probably be shot for saying this but I think FG are doing a reasonable job, even though I didn't vote for them in the last election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Don't get me wrong I despise Labour but I think voting for Independants who camgaign on a popular anti government issue like water charges is a short sighted move, they have no real influence once elected.

I'll probably be shot for saying this but I think FG are doing a reasonable job, even though I didn't vote for them in the last election.

The Far Left vote is fragmented. SF, PBP, AAA all trying to outdo each other with promises of abolishing taxes and charges while increasing spending on services
    The only thing they hate more than the current Government is each other.

I heard Murphy on the radio after his by-election victory. It's truly frightening how fcuked this Country would be if he or any of his ilk got within an asses roar of the levers of power of this State. He has the luxury of being able to spout economic nonsense without having to live with the consequences of any of his 'policies' being adopted.

Sometimes, I think it would almost be worth these idiots getting into power for a couple of years so their slack-jawed supporters could see the devastation they would impose of our Country. However the price to pay for such an outcome would be too high for this and future generations. Better to put up with their mindless background whinging and moaning, their empty promises and magic bean solutiuons.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

These old people were young once and had it just as rough as the young people now.They lived in a time of high unemployment in the 60s, 70s and 80,s where if you had no job emigration was the only option as social welfare was nowhere as generous as now and mortgage interest rates were at a crippling 18%. Well i hope when you get old that the young show more compassion to you as you are showing for the old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,654 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

sammy37 wrote: »
    These old people were young once and had it just as rough as the young people now.They lived in a time of high unemployment in the 60s, 70s and 80,s where if you had no job emigration was the only option as social welfare was nowhere as generous as now and mortgage interest rates were at a crippling 18%. Well i hope when you get old that the young show more compassion to you as you are showing for the old now.

They are also the people who have been voting along the lines of "sure my father voted FF and so do I" without actually thinking about any repercussions or how much of a ridiculous attitude that is.

Many of these pensioners are the people who helped FF win successive terms in government and so are in part responsible so they can take the hits just like everyone else, they are not entitled to any more than the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

sammy37 wrote: »

They all managed to survive.

Just like this generation will.

Moan whinge bitch, modern Ireland is a bunch of c#n@s.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

VinLieger wrote: »
    They are also the people who have been voting along the lines of "sure my father voted FF and so do I" without actually thinking about any repercussions or how much of a ridiculous attitude that is.

Many of these pensioners are the people who helped FF win successive terms in government and so are in part responsible so they can take the hits just like everyone else, they are not entitled to any more than the rest of us.
    I agree they should shoulder the burden as much as anyone else but to say the young have it harder now is wrong.There seems to be an awful lot of whinging about now about being entitled to this and entitled to that from this generation.

Advertisement