Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tánaiste Moany Burton: IW protesters 'seem to have extremely expensive phones'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

My day starts with going on jobs.ie and sending CVs to jobs for which I never get a reply. Yes I have an iphone, it was supplied by my last job. It got cut off and I'm now on pre pay. Do you know what its like sitting at home all day, I've never been this depressed in my whole life. Its hard to get to sleep and in the mornings its a struggle to get out of bed. BOREDOM. Thats what the last 11 months has consisted of. I doubt many people want this situation.
    coming from an employer, my advice would be go in and hand in your cv personally if you can, when we recruit if we have already met someone face to face, their chance of success is far higher than if we have to trawl through the endless CV's we are sent...
    SF are defo getting my vote next time around. Had it with the labour clowns.
    I take it you want a job at some point or have one, in which case you will want income tax cutting? Well then how do you think either of those two clown parties are going to help your situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Idbatterim wrote: »
    well the economy is growing despite the recent austere budgets isnt it? I am talking about marginal rate income tax cuts. I see the effect the 52% rate has on people that can do something about it, i.e. turning down the hours, not going for promotions, if self employed turning down work or simply taking cash. If anyone thinks the penal rate of marginal tax here is a good thing, they are sorely mistaken...

yes charges that should have never been scrapped in the first place!

Whats picking up ? More hours I wish, chances of a full time jobs these days is zero in my company anyway. If anything it's fully flex zero hours contracts. All these jobs announcements they hard ever say full time permanent jobs. I don't believe anything I am told, all services are getting worse and people are been treated like total morons while these TD's live the dream at our expense.

I am from Dublin the capital of Ireland and if things feel bad here I cannot imagine things down the country.

When I hear stuff like for example, the HSE clearing the back log on the public waiting list by giving people appointments privately only to refer them back to the public waiting list just so the figures looked good.

I hate to agree with Mick Wallace, but why in gods name was Denis O Briens offer on SiteServ accepted when there was an offer for double his amount on the table? Then Biffo is on his board of directors at Topaz? Denis O Brien stinks of dishonesty, always a scandal from him. East Digifone to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

this "rich" crap, has still to be defined, I would agree that some companies are getting away with murder tax wise, i.e. corporation tax, but what can you do when the main thing that you are attracting them here with is low tax rates? Up them and watch them leave? Unless all members agreed on an EU wide rate and that isnt going to happen and even if we did, lots of the huge ones would probably simply up and leave europe and we would all lose out. Short of taxing a % of sales in the individual country as is being discussed AFAIK.

Thing is TallGlass, if you are in those circles, you are always going to land on your feet, who would say no? In relation to the politicians being on easy street, the amount of hours they must put in, the abuse and requests they must get, I dont think the salaries are that off the wall, its the pensions and other stuff after serving a relatively short period they can claim, that is where the gravy is at IMO...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,779 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

If Sinn Fein told me that they would reduce water charges and get the remaining money from the rich I would vote for them.

I'd love to see the person who hires people through job bridge get the bollo.x taxed off them.

I'd have zero sympathy

Who are these "rich" you keep referring to?

You mean the people who pay the vast majority of the income tax in this country?

Maybe take a gander at the tax system simplified down to bar stool economics might help you understand how ridiculous your comments are

https://people.richland.edu/bhemenwa/article.barstooltaxes.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

Bit of a clanger from Joan Burton - I hope she enjoys being the most popular party leader in the country while it lasts (about as long as a very smelly fart or until the next poll, whichever's sooner).

Incidentally the RTE coverage of these protests is a farce. Until today they just refused to report on them and now that they can't ignore them they've set the vilification dial to 11. I was listening to Joe Duffy earlier and it was beyond ridiculous: some idiot was given full rein to rant about how people protesting against "gas meters" were diverting precious Garda resources and should be teargassed, with Joe egging her on. So now you pay your licence fee to give goosestepping morons a national forum to advocate against your right to peaceful protest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

When you find out let me know.

I know people who paid taxes in this country all their lives when third level wasn't free and now find themselves unemployed.

To add insult to injury would be to have snotty nose trainees who got government assistance in college look down their noses on these ordinary decent people.

You should be grateful that people like this exist.

Why would I give a crap what the cut off for a college grant is now, when I didn't look for one when I was in college. Here's a thought, why don't you go look it up.

And I'd rather be the snotty trainee, than a moaning scoate, such as yourself who wants all and gives no viable alternatives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Young Blood

VinLieger wrote: »
    Who are these "rich" you keep referring to?

You mean the people who pay the vast majority of the income tax in this country?

Maybe take a gander at the tax system simplified down to bar stool economics might help you understand how ridiculous your comments are

https://people.richland.edu/bhemenwa/article.barstooltaxes.pdf

Business owners, landlords, Denis O'Brien. ( I would be in favor of a special Denis O'Brien tax specifically targeting his assets since he's a tax exile, who gets too much of a sweet deal in this country.)

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Thing is TallGlass, if you are in those circles, you are always going to land on your feet, who would say no? In relation to the politicians being on easy street, the amount of hours they must put in, the abuse and requests they must get, I dont think the salaries are that off the wall, its the pensions and other stuff after serving a relatively short period they can claim, that is where the gravy is at IMO...

I am not having a go at you here, but have you ever had the pleasure of dealing with your local TD or councilor? The work they do is nothing, they basically pass the message then pass the message back regardless of outcome and refer you to things you can find online about laws and process. Never address the issue you have, never mind asking them to address issues that's a no go area. For some reason if you e-mail them they always feel the need to write letters to your home address.

I have no idea who the government listens to cause it is definitely not the public. They have advisers in the backround that do the real work, you could ask do these guys have vested interests. I would say so.

Sure look anytime I look at the Dail on TV in the afternoon there's no one in sight?

What was it two TD's in total that didn't claim expenses for the month of August when they where on the holidays? I question at this stage if they are afraid to put there hand in the own pocket for anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

"Government Budget-Balance" = "Revenue Income" - "Government Spending".

You do the math.

so ignoring the variables Government Budget-Balance and Government Spending, Revenue Income = tax * X, where x is a constant. otherwise your math doesnt work.

both tax and X are variable. both can go both up or down.

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Why would I give a crap what the cut off for a college grant is now, when I didn't look for one when I was in college.

That's the thing you see, if you knew what it was your comments wouldn't be as moronic as they appear.

I've met your types before, they get government assistance while in college, then hide that fact when they climb the social ladder and then attempt to look down on others.

You'd be hard pressed not to find someone who doesn't get a hand out in this country.

So which is it, are you middle class, working class or hand out class you b.ullsh.itter?

• Advertisement

Business owners, landlords, Denis O'Brien. ( I would be in favor of a special Denis O'Brien tax specifically targeting his assets since he's a tax exile, who gets too much of a sweet deal in this country.)

Business owners? Landlords? how broad do you want to be? My god you're ignorantly tarring so many people with the so called "rich" banner you haven't actually got a clue do you?

Got anything a bit more specific apart from "get everyone I don't like to pay more money?"

Tax exile too, the gift that keeps on giving.

How is it he ends up paying half the price for SiteServ that other people are offering and it just so happens they have the contract for IW too.

Sure didn't he get a nice discount on Topaz too, us stupid tax payers. Why sell off the asset that are making money at a discount?

That's the thing you see, if you knew what it was your comments wouldn't be as moronic as they appear.

I've met your types before, they get government assistance while in college, then hide that fact when they climb the social ladder and then attempt to look down on others.

You'd be hard pressed not to find someone who doesn't get a hand out in this country.

Only one moronic here sunshine is you.
    Your comment above, like most things you've contributed here are irrelevant.

I got the most basic assistance, that anyone who cops on and does some work in school can get.

My turn to play the know your type game.

I know your type, did nothing in school, probably down a lane drinking during the school day. Did nothing and then wondering why it didn't work out and others went off to college. Moaned, complained, contributed nothing. And then went off and protested when their welfare might be paid out on things other than booze and fags

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Who are the water meter installers anyway?

Ireland never seems to be short of a few scabs to carry out the dirty work, the only difference now is that most scabs are coming in from Europe.

Is this that same case here?

What an utterly disgusting comment..
    These are lads out to do a days work, I don't condone any heavy handed tactics but if they were left to their jobs then it would go smoothly..

The post it gets even more disgusting by referring to "scabs" coming from "Europe", and just to educate a little, we joined this "Europe" you speak of in 1973.

I hate this attitude that we don't have to pay for anything in this country and the sense of entitlement for everything to be handed out by the state.. There is no doubt that the majority of the protesters are not workers of any sort but rather on social welfare of some type, they are dead against the water charges because now they'll have to somewhat pay their way rather than have the tax paying workers pay it for them.
    Sinn Fein are great for spouting this pay for nothing ethos.. Well it has to be paid for by someone and the water charges are a way of spreading the responsibility rather than the same old "fish in a barrel" PAYE workers lifting the tab for everything.

Bring On the Water Charges !!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

So which is it, are you middle class, working class or hand out class you b.ullsh.itter?

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Which are you exactly? You seem to be throwing swords and making wild assumptions about people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

Interesting to see the government's IMF/ECB lackies mostly not even addressing the points put to them and resorting to ad hominens.

I would like to see some realistic and concrete proposals from government supporters as to how they intend to make multi-millionaire offshore tax avoiders/evaders pay their fair share.

If I see such proposals I will take seriously government supporters' concern about the public finances, otherwise I will just continue to assume they are toeing the party line and genuflecting to the wealthy and powerful in the hope of being thrown a few crumbs from their masters' table.

I know your type, did nothing in school, probably down a lane drinking during the school day. Did nothing and then wondering why it didn't work out and others went off to college. Moaned, complained, contributed nothing. And then went off and protested when their welfare might be paid out on things other than booze and fags

Wrong again Warren Buffet.

I like you have third level education but I didn't sell out to job bridge. I work a minimum wage job but unfortunately have had no hours the past month.

My family has done more for this country than you ever have.

I received government assistance while in college but I'm not ashamed to admit it.

I like you have third level education but I didn't sell out to job bridge. I work a minimum wage job but unfortunately have had no hours the past month.

I received government assistance while in college but I'm not ashamed to admit it.

That's nice. Go on I'll give you the last word, I've had enough of this

That's nice. Go on I'll give you the last word, I've had enough of this

I'm going to assume that you're from an Irish Catholic background, as are most irish people.

If it wasn't for protesters like this, people like you would still be picking potatoes in some field.

It doesn't hurt to show some solidarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

In life, if you want anything, do it yourself, dont expect handouts from others.

That's all grand when you're a doctor, but I tried to do my own appendectomy and now I'm dead.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

I didn't sell out to job bridge

sell out? anyone trying to get working, even in something as imperfect as job bridge, has far from sold out.

I'm going to assume that you're from an Irish Catholic background, as are most irish people.

If it wasn't for protesters like this, people like you would still be picking potatoes in some field.

It doesn't hurt to show some solidarity.

WOW equating those involved with the 1916 rising with the water protesters, that's some leap

WOW equating those involved with the 1916 rising with the water protesters, that's some leap

Where did I say 1916?
    folan wrote: »
    sell out? anyone trying to get working, even in something as imperfect as job bridge, has far from sold out.

How many interns did you hire this year?

Selling out to job bridge, now who's up on their high horse?

Whatever you think about the scheme and I agree it's ****ing awful, I have no problem with the people who choose to take up the positions offered as they are being pro-active in getting back to work.

Selling out to job bridge, now who's up on their high horse?

Whatever you think about the scheme and I agree it's ****ing awful, I have no problem with the people who choose to take up the positions offered as they are being pro-active in getting back to work.

It seems like those who are the strongest advocates of job bridge are those who stand to benefit from it the most i.e. employers.

It would be great if I lived in the Dublin suburbs with mammy and daddy and had no rent or bills to worry about.

Unfortunately it is not the case for the majority of victims people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Selling out to job bridge? How exactly, would you prefer if they did nothing and we're a burden on the state, i don't actually believe you have an idea what it's like for people to go out on job bridge, far from selling out, they're saying they're not going to settle for sitting at home waiting for the perfect job to come in the door

Enlighten us as to what your family has done, compared to what any other family has done, would you like a special decompensation from all charges because of the sacrifices your family have made for mother Ireland ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Still picking potatoes? This is gold.

whupdedo wrote: »
    Selling out to job bridge? How exactly, would you prefer if they did nothing and we're a burden on the state, i don't actually believe you have an idea what it's like for people to go out on job bridge, far from selling out, they're saying they're not going to settle for sitting at home waiting for the perfect job to come in the door

Enlighten us as to what your family has done, compared to what any other family has done, would you like a special decompensation from all charges because of the sacrifices your family have made for mother Ireland ?

The point I'm trying to make is that we stand to benefit from the sacrifices these people are making like we have done in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Might as well throw away my phone, I don't need it according to moany Joan. I don't need it for the only internet, tethering to my laptop to apply for jobs, I don't need my fancy phone to take calls either.

But then how will they charge the broadcasting charge if we all got rid of our phones? Don't we all watch TV on it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

So basically the Brits are all to blame for this or something?

Advertisement