Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official EPCR Champions Cup Preview Thread - A New Hope

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Clermont V Saracens is now sold out, 41,000 tickets have been bought. It's a stadium record too by all accounts, bit suprised it was never totally sold out before for soccer.

Toulon V Leinster has sold over 30,000 tickets. Would have sold more but the majority of tickets are priced between €55-€85 which is very expensive for a game in France. I got cracking Lyon Top14 tickets against Racing for only €20 earlier this year in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster
    Clermont V Saracens is now sold out, 41,000 tickets have been bought. It's a stadium record too by all accounts, bit suprised it was never totally sold out before for soccer.

Toulon V Leinster has sold over 30,000 tickets. Would have sold more but the majority of tickets are priced between €55-€85 which is very expensive for a game in France. I got cracking Lyon Top14 tickets against Racing for only €20 earlier this year in comparison.

Yeah the ticket prices were extortionate for the Toulon-Leinster game. We'd booked our flights and hotel before we saw the price of them, but had we known in advance we probably wouldn't have gone. The flights were bad enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah the ticket prices were extortionate for the Toulon-Leinster game. We'd booked our flights and hotel before we saw the price of them, but had we known in advance we probably wouldn't have gone. The flights were bad enough.

Who sets the prices? Is it still EPCR?

I recall the cheapest ticket for Clermont-Munster 2012 was €20 while Saracens-Toulon in Twickenham was £35/£40.

I think we paid €50 for behind the goals in Marseille last year. It was pretty expensive alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

Do Sky have the final?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know.

I dunno why but I thought both would have it.

Actually they both will have it
    The new TV agreement, subject to contract, concerns broadcast arrangements for the European Rugby Champions Cup and the European Rugby Challenge Cup competitions, both of which would be broadcast jointly by BT Sport and Sky Sports.
    The pool matches would be shared equally, both will show two quarter finals each, one semi-final each and the final would be broadcast by both live. The four year agreement is subject to contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭techdiver

thirteen. wrote: »
    Do Sky have the final?

BT announced yesterday that they are showing the final live.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,340 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Leinster
    Run this by me again Dave. A team that goes to the south of France and beats Toulon would be doomed to defeat in the next game? Makes sense...

I wasn't being entirely serious in that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Leinster
    Up Clermont!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,933 ✭✭✭✭phog

thirteen. wrote: »
    Do Sky have the final?

I thought Sky broadcast an ad for it after today's game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Glasgow
    They both have it right? Sky put it on SS3, which is weird.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

errlloyd wrote: »
    They both have it right? Sky put it on SS3, which is weird.

Premiership soccer is on SS1, England test cricket on SS2 - two French teams slogging it out won't get near either of those for viewers.

Leinster
    So will we even see 50k at the final now? The Clermont-Toulon final in Dublin didn't sell out. There's no way they'll fill Twickenhan. It'll look pretty crappy for the maiden final in the new Cup to have a half empty stadium....

Leinster
    So will we even see 50k at the final now? The Clermont-Toulon final in Dublin didn't sell out. There's no way they'll fill Twickenhan. It'll look pretty crappy for the maiden final in the new Cup to have a half empty stadium....

Take a look on Ticketmaster and that's not including the tickets reserved for the finalists. There's your answer.

Maybe Mark McC will be handing out free tickets outside the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,763 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster

To be fair it's the worst possible outcome for holding the final at Twickenham. It would be like two English sides playing in Paris, I doubt even two Irish sides with all their travelling support would sellout the Stade de France (would give it a good shot mind).

Any news on next year's final?

It must be Cardiff's turn again soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Northampton
    bilston wrote: »
    To be fair it's the worst possible outcome for holding the final at Twickenham. It would be like two English sides playing in Paris, I doubt even two Irish sides with all their travelling support would sellout the Stade de France (would give it a good shot mind).

Any news on next year's final?

It must be Cardiff's turn again soon...

There's more than a touch of hubris in the fact that they seemed to think that there would be at least one premiership team in the final and now it seems that they'll be outside their own stadium looking in...

Leinster
    I hope Italy gets it as they were shafted out of it this year (2015 Heineken Cup was supposed to be at San Siro). I doubt it's going to happen though and empty seats at Twickenham certainly won't help their chances.

Leinster
    Should be able to get final tickets on the day for peanuts. Will probably wander down alright.

Leinster
    Should be able to get final tickets on the day for peanuts. Will probably wander down alright.
    The ticket prices are mental and the €/£ rate doesn't help either.

European Rugby Champions Cup final:
    Twickenham Stadium; Saturday, 2 May 2015 (17.00)
    Category A £80
    Category B £64
    Category C £48
    Category D £38

Prices above don't include that effing monopoly's fees (£80 ticket comes to £86.40). Today GBP 1 = EUR 1.38. :eek:

I know why they did it but having two week gaps between the knockout rounds was stupid and it's really going to hurt the attendance at the final.

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/35004CF1F3BEADB2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

A few thoughts from the weekend

1) I was at the Clermont-Sarries game, and the Clermont supporters are great, and the atmosphere and noise was impressive. Lucky if there were 100 Sarries supporters there, they were non-existant.

2) Quality of rugby on display from both matches wasn't great. Scrum penalties, maul and box-kicks were about the sum of the attacking intent. The Clermont scrumhalf dithered about all day, no quick ruck ball as a result.

3) I'm not surprised Leinster took Toulon close, there are a lot of 35-somethings in that Toulon team, Ali Williams was a spent force (in NZ at least) since 2012, yet here he was in a semi-final. He played like a spent force.

4) Leinster are lucky Sexton is back. Without having to rely on Madigan to do the goalkicking, he can go back to being jack-of-all-trades master of none in the 22 shirt. He has been the cause célèbre for a diminishing number of Leinster fans, often at the expense of Gopperth (who is no great shakes himself) but Noel Reid & Darcy must have been wishing they were out there yesterday. His goalkicking is world class, the rest of his game is Pro 12-ish at best. Schmidt in the stands must be hoping he doesn't have to rely on Ian at the sharp end of the RWC tournament. I know I'm being harsh, but if Gopperth had played like Madigan yesterday, forum meltdown.

5) Ireland (& Leinster) are really well set-up in the propping department. Leinster could (should) have won that game off the pack of the pack, immense.

(oh and apparently in response to the Clermont fans chanting "ici, ici, c'est Montferrand", the Toulon fans will sing "ici, c'est ici, et là-bas, c'est là-bas"...)

Leinster
    The ticket prices are mental and the €/£ rate doesn't help either.

European Rugby Champions Cup final:
    Twickenham Stadium; Saturday, 2 May 2015 (17.00)
    Category A £80
    Category B £64
    Category C £48
    Category D £38

Prices above don't include that effing monopoly's fees (£80 ticket comes to £86.40). Today GBP 1 = EUR 1.38. :eek:

I know why they did it but having two week gaps between the knockout rounds was stupid and it's really going to hurt the attendance at the final.

http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/35004CF1F3BEADB2

Zero chance I'll be paying near those prices. Would expect tickets will turn up very cheaply at all normal places for re-sales.

Twickenham Train Station on the day being a particularly decent option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster
    You never know, might be a box or two going on the cheap.

Leinster

boards.ie box?

Anyone known any over-confident Bath or Saracens fans?

Leinster
    We paid 53 for the game yesterday but they were being sold for 16 in the days leading into the game. The same will happen for the final. Wait until 2-3 days out and the tickets will be cheap as chips.

Leinster
    What's the craic Mark McC? We've always been big fans of yours, surely you can sort this out for us? :pac:

Leinster
    I think I must be mad and I'm clearly in a minority but I don't think 80 quid is expensive for a category 1 ticket to (in theory) the biggest club game of the season?

I'm sure prices will fall, but I don't think they're that high really.

Leinster
    I think I must be mad and I'm clearly in a minority but I don't think 80 quid is expensive for a category 1 ticket to (in theory) the biggest club game of the season?

I'm sure prices will fall, but I don't think they're that high really.

It's £86.40 with TM fees and some of the seats aren't the best places (halfway line). That's €120!

Leinster
    Think my tickets for Toulon Clermont in Dublin were €105 in fairness.

That's the cost for final tickets!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Something else. Can't speak for the Leinster match but for the Clermont one EVERY TIME there was a break in play on came the physios, water boys etc. too much like gridiron for my liking. Should be seriously reduced it was basically delaying tactics from sarries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

I never understood why in both the old and new competitions, there was not a clause whereby if two teams from the same country were in the final, then the final would be moved to that country.

• Advertisement

Leinster
    I never understood why in both the old and new competitions, there was not a clause whereby if two teams from the same country were in the final, then the final would be moved to that country.

Because people book tickets and accommodation a year in advance.

Advertisement