Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official EPCR Champions Cup Preview Thread - A New Hope

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Shocker from Lacey.

1. Gets in the way of the Clermont defence, leading to a try. (might have been scored anyway, but he really got in the way)

2. Should have given a red card to the Northampton player for a punch.

3. Maybe a yellow for the Clermont player for reacting?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster
    Rightwing wrote: »
    Problem is the top French clubs are just pulling away from everyone else.

Well now they're finding it hard to compete with the English clubs financially, lets see how long that lasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Well now they're finding it hard to compete with the English clubs financially, lets see how long that lasts.

You could have fooled me. It'll be a while before we see an English team with this competition again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster
    You could have fooled me. It'll be a while before we see an English team with this competition again.

It's only a recent thing, due to the strength of the sterling and the new deal, but French clubs don't have first choice of foreign players any more, and that will become evident over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,058 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Luther Burrell was England's starting 12 in the 6Nations. He's pure muck imo and his performance against Clermont just further solidified that opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster
    I never expected that scoreline. Clermont played some fantastic rugby and Abendanon is turning out to be the signing of the season. He was second choice at Bath (behind Watson who had a great game today) but you would have never thought with his performances for Clermont.

Anyway PRL are down 2-0, so it's all good so far!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

EPCR semi finals

Champions Cup:
    Clermont v Saracens, Saturday 18th April, 16:15 CEST (15:15 BST) BT Sport
    Toulon v Leinster, Sunday 19th April, 16:15 CEST (15:15 BST) Sky Sports

European Challenge Cup
    Edinburgh v Newport Gwent Dragons, Friday 17th April 19:45 BT Sport
    Gloucester v Exeter Chiefs Saturday 18th April 19:45 Sky Sports

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Leinster
    icdg wrote: »
    EPCR semi finals

Champions Cup:
    Clermont v Saracens, Saturday 18th April, 16:15 CEST (15:15 BST) BT Sport
    Toulon v Leinster, Sunday 19th April, 16:15 CEST (15:15 BST) Sky Sports

European Challenge Cup
    Edinburgh v Newport Gwent Dragons, Friday 17th April 19:45 BT Sport
    Gloucester v Exeter Chiefs Saturday 18th April 19:45 Sky Sports

Well at least Saracenst making it through yesterday meant that BT would cover that match and we would have Sky for the Leinster match.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It's only a recent thing, due to the strength of the sterling and the new deal, but French clubs don't have first choice of foreign players any more, and that will become evident over the next few years.

We really could struggle to compete in Europe over the next decade IMO.

Leinster
    .ak wrote: »
    We really could struggle to compete in Europe over the next decade IMO.

What if Leinster suddenly receive ONE MILLION DOLLARS?

dr-evil-1-million-dollars.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Glasgow
    Just the one Leinster player in PR's team of the round. I think that's fair enough and they also picked the right one.

15 Nick Abendanon (Clermont): No problems here, Abendanon was arguably the player of the weekend. Watching him excel in France has been enough people to call for England to take another look at him, and on this form it’s hard to disagree. Abendanon tore Northampton to shreds, making Wesley Fofana’s try and then ripping the ball from George Pisi before racing 90 metres to score himself. Nine carries, 143 metres and five defenders beaten.

14 Noa Nakaitaci (Clermont): Carrying on from where he left off at Twickenham playing for France, Nakaitaci was another Clermont back to give Northampton all sorts of problems. Two tries for the international winger who was full of running, making ten carries and beating six defenders.

13 Marcelo Bosch (Saracens): Ten years after his last winning kick, Bosch stepped up and sent Saracens through to the semi-finals of the Champions Cup at Racing's expense. The Puma is much more than a big boot though, and produced a vital defensive display as Sarries did just enough to edge through. That gets him the nod ahead of Wasps' Elliot Daly, who looked very much at home on the big stage as Toulon were given a fright in Mayol.

12 Wesley Fofana (Clermont): Showing no ill-effects from his latest injury, Fofana topped 100 metres with the ball in hand against Saints in one of his best performances for some time. Carved through the opposition’s defence with real ease by making four line breaks and beating five defenders. Vintage Fofana.

11 Will Helu (Wasps): We're cheating a little bit by shifting him across from the right wing, but Helu deserves his spot after his two tries almost saw Wasps spring a surprise. Replacing Christian Wade, there was a worry that Wasps would lose some of their attacking threat out wide, but Helu finished off two excellent moves, the second with a nice sidestep to beat the sliding Toulon cover defence.

10 Frédéric Michalak (Toulon): Michalak has had his fair share of critics over the last couple of seasons, so it's only fair to reward what was an excellent performance. As well as knocking over eight from eight from the kicking tee, Michalak showed no ill-effects from his major shoulder injury as he got stuck in both in attack and defence. That's enough to see him sneak past Brock James, simply outstanding for Clermont, and George Ford, the star for Bath in Dublin.

9 Maxime Machenaud (Racing-Métro): Machenaud will still be wondering why he didn't just boot the ball away and take the decision out of Nigel Owens' hands on Sunday, but despite that late mistake, he earns a spot thanks to the previous 79 minutes. He scored Racing's only try, took over kicking duties from an ill Jonny Sexton, and made a fool of Chris Ashton with one lovely burst down the right. As a result he edges out Joe Simpson, who was as dangerous as ever for Wasps, even when he moved to the wing!

8 Jamie Heaslip (Leinster): A real captain’s innings from Heaslip who is gunning for his fourth European title with Leinster. 13 carries, four lineout wins and a threat at the breakdown, he does it all whether for Leinster or Ireland. Still showing an impressive engine too after many seasons at the top of the game. A mention for Clermont’s wrecking ball Fritz Lee.

7 Steffon Armitage (Toulon): Nick Abendanon might have been the Englishman stealing the headlines this weekend, but yet again Armitage was at the heart of things for Toulon. Twice he was stopped just short of the line with his powerful bursts, while a couple of key turnovers ensured Wasps couldn't get quick ball. He also led the way with 13 tackles for Toulon, winning his personal battle with James Haskell.

6 Wenceslas Lauret (Racing-Métro): It might be a surprise to see two Racing players included, but Lauret really impressed on Sunday. With Bernard le Roux out, the French international was Racing's go-to man in the lineout with five catches, while also making a couple of clean breaks and leading the tackle count.

5 Sebsatian Vahaamahina (Clermont): Won the physical battle with Samu Manoa and Courtney Lawes, not an accomplishment many second rows hold, as the France lock made his presence felt around the breakdown and in defence, contributing nine tackles. He also chipped in with a couple of key turnovers on the rare occasions that Saints got into Clermont territory.

4 Ali Williams (Toulon): Dai Young was understandably furious at Williams' tug back of Elliot Daly that should have seen him sin-binned. It was almost enough for us to leave him out of this team, but even if you ignore the try he scored when he should have been on the sidelines, Williams had quite a game. He racked up 13 tackles, ten carries and claimed six lineouts including one important steal. A busy afternoon's work for the former All Black.

3 Davit Zirakashvili (Clermont): A very good scrummaging day for both the Georgian tighthead and Clermont, as he also weighed in with seven tackles before departing after 63 minutes at the Stade Marcel Michelin. Part of an excellent front row unit alongside Benjamin Kayser and Vincent Debaty.

2 Guilhem Guirado (Toulon): One of the bright spots for France during the Six Nations, Guirado seems to have come of age this season, and is right up there with the best hookers in Europe. As active as ever around the park, he appears to have solved his lineout problems and is now very reliable in the set-piece. It was his break in the first half that led to Rob Miller being sin-binned as Toulon piled on the pressure.

1 Mako Vunipola (Saracens): Vunipola's influence around the park has never been in doubt, but he showed that his scrummaging has come on as well after giving Luc Ducalcon a tough time of it on Sunday. While Vunipola didn't have it all his own way, he edged the scrum battle, and that was key for Saracens, as were his ten tackles. He edges out Cian Healy, who scrummaged excellently for Leinster but missed four tackles as well as watching George Ford stroll past him for Bath's second try.

I thought Healy deserved to be there. Very destructive in both the scrum and the loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,212 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Glasgow
    .ak wrote: »
    I thought Healy deserved to be there. Very destructive in both the scrum and the loose.

I thought he had a stinker in defence, second only to Madigan. He didn't work nearly hard enough there. For a guy that knows he's not playing 80 minutes, he should be emptying the tank. He looked pretty tuned out at times.

I thought it was a shame as he really was good for us at the scrum and carrying.

I would certainly rate Leinster as the weakest team left, but Toulon must surely be due a slip up in this competition soon, if they play poorly and Leinster play well I wouldn't rule out a surprise result. Then onto the final, and everything to play for particularly if Sarries somehow pull off an unlikely win.

Strangely enough I think I'd prefer clermont in the final...

Leinster
    #AnyonebutSaracens

I'd like to remind anyone that disagrees with the above statement that awec is a moderator...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster
    What if Leinster suddenly receive ONE MILLION DOLLARS?

dr-evil-1-million-dollars.jpg

You offering?

Toulon are -11 & Clermont -6.

Value there looks like Clermont.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Toulon are -11 & Clermont -6.

Value there looks like Clermont.
    I can see Leinster beating that handicap tbh.

Leinster
    molloyjh wrote: »
    You offering?

Nah, Leinster need a lot more than that. Sure one million doesn't even get you Dan Carter for a year these days! I think Leinster will require ONE HUNDRED BILLION DOLLARS.

• Advertisement

funtime93 wrote: »

Seems a bit big to me too, only reasoning I can see behind it is Toulon have the capacity to do an absolute demolition job on anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I think Toulon are probably more consistent than Clermont. Clermont can play stuff no one else can when they click but they have days where that doesn't happen. Toulon are like some big scary machine. You know what's coming but it can be near impossible to stop.

Leinster
    A lot depends on Giteau's fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,790 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster
    To be honest I can really see Leinster beating Toulon in the semi, with Jonny running the backline...oh wait that's next year...seriously though I wouldn't be shocked if Leinster did pull it out of the bag but the truth is without a world class 10 it will be very very hard. But Leinster need to be strong in defence and make sure there are no more George Ford sized holes in defence in the semi final.

Please God may Clermont beat Sarries...I don't think I could watch European rugby ever again if Saracens win the Champions Cup.

Ulster

Flip I'm not sure about that statement. Saracens could well win it this year. I hope they don't but it is far from impossible.

Leinster
    bilston wrote: »
    Flip I'm not sure about that statement. Saracens could well win it this year. I hope they don't but it is far from impossible.

:eek::eek::eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

bilston wrote: »
    To be honest I can really see Leinster beating Toulon in the semi, with Jonny running the backline...oh wait that's next year...seriously though I wouldn't be shocked if Leinster did pull it out of the bag but the truth is without a world class 10 it will be very very hard. But Leinster need to be strong in defence and make sure there are no more George Ford sized holes in defence in the semi final.

Please God may Clermont beat Sarries...I don't think I could watch European rugby ever again if Saracens win the Champions Cup.

Toulon are beatable, they've lost 9 times so far this season (twice at home too), so I think Leinster are in with a shout. I didn't see the Wasps game but it sounds like it was close enough, or Wasps weren't blown out of it like some would have thought beforehand.

When I look at the Leinster team sheet from Saturday just gone it's a better team than the one we put out in the QF last season. Plus some of our big players in that game (D'arcy, Toner, and BOD) had their worst games of the season in that game.

Ulster
    :eek::eek::eek:

Yeah that was a bit captain obvious on my part

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster
    CatFromHue wrote: »
    Toulon are beatable, they've lost 9 times so far this season (twice at home too), so I think Leinster are in with a shout. I didn't see the Wasps game but it sounds like it was close enough, or Wasps weren't blown out of it like some would have thought beforehand.

When I look at the Leinster team sheet from Saturday just gone it's a better team than the one we put out in the QF last season. Plus some of our big players in that game (D'arcy, Toner, and BOD) had their worst games of the season in that game.

The Toulon game was an interesting one. Everyone thought it was wrapped up at half time. It was 22-6 and there was really only 1 team looking like winning. Aer Lingus put up flights to Marseilles at half-time, such was the way the first half went. Obviously Toulon thought they had it wrapped up too and stepped off the gas completely allowing Wasps back into it. Wasps ran them fairly close in the end but it was still 25-13 with 10 minutes to go so I don't think Toulon felt troubled until the last 7 or 8 minutes of the game. In the end I think they were lucky to win it, but that all came from the dominant first half and the big gap at half time.

The big question is can we attack the way Wasps did? I don't think so personally. We've seen very little this season to suggest we have that in us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Leinster
    funtime93 wrote: »

how many handicap's have Leinster beat this year ?

Advertisement