Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official EPCR Champions Cup Preview Thread - A New Hope

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

This is shocking really. I know two people who paid £80 in the hope that an Irish team would get to the final who are absolutely gutted with people getting free tickets, they rightfully feel ripped off.

What this does is make people think twice before buying tickets in advance. Advanced purchased tickets for next years final will be at an all time low.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster
    Well at least Ticketmaster get paid! :pac:

This is absolutely dreadful. No wonder they've already confirmed next year is being moved back to mid-May.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

This is unbelievable. Free tickets for a European Final. In this day and age.
    I pity the poor sods who paid £80 for the privilege.

Leinster
    Two "bought" :D

Now to look at flights.

Leinster
    They're now FREE from ticketmaster. Just the £2 booking fee. http://www.ticketmaster.co.uk/event/35004CF1F3BEADB2?page=tmuk&tmid=35004CF1F3BEADB2&did=uk15fr1vx&utm_source=EPCR%2520Free%2520Ticket%2520Offer%25202015&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Autoresponder%2520-%2520EPCR%2520Free%2520Tickets%25202015

Apparently the Clermont fan club has found out and fans are cancelling tickets en mass if they haven't already paid for then to get the freebies.

Will this work? If so, I hope everyone is doing it if they'd already bought tickets...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster
    Will this work? If so, I hope everyone is doing it if they'd already bought tickets...

I'm sure ticketmaster are happy to accommodate it...

Leinster
    What's the Twickenham area like? Dead?

Leinster

The Richmond/Twickenham area is great when there's other people there with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Me and the missus will be there anyway. Can't believe they're giving them away for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster
    The Richmond/Twickenham area is great when there's other people there with you.

I have some incredibly drunken and hazy memories of the White Swan from the Sarries-Clermont game last season. Great spot altogether. I think....

• Advertisement

Leinster

Nah, there's usually craic to be had around the Cabbage Patch if the weather's not great. Otherwise onto the river and just soaking up the atmosphere.

Aiming to be down around there sporting full Leinster gear (socks & shorts) from about 3pm talking about the old glory days, fadó fadó.

The last time it was at Twickenham, the Leinster & Ulster fans drank the place dry before the end of half time. There was no Heineken left!

One of the pubs just further away from Twickenham than the Cabbage Patch closed at 7pm because they'd run out of beer too.

Doubt it will be like that this time round though :( ...

_60354367_60354366.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster
    Will be looking at accom and flights later I reckon. Free. I actually can't believe it. Madness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Leinster

It's Clermont fans who were getting their tickets from the Clermont allocation. If they haven't paid yet, they're cancelling their orders with the club and getting the free ones.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It's going back to a three week gap between the semis and the final next year- and back to mid May - and given that the French are the main losers of their own drive to move the final earlier one hopes this fiasco will be enough to persuade them to agree to make those changes permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Well it's a steep learning curve for the new management... But honestly, have they never heard of the phrase - if it ain't broke don't fix it?

All very amateur, and I'm aware they are still learning, but this should not be the place to learn it. It's supposed to be the pinnacle of European, if not the world, club rugby.

• Administrators Posts: 53,505 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Munster
    It's not finding any tickets for me when I search.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

awec wrote: »
    It's not finding any tickets for me when I search.

They don't want people from Ulster going and getting flashbacks. Could get nasty.

Leinster
    There is a mechanism in place to prevent Ulster supporters getting free tickets. It's called the Lacey Algorithm.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Glasgow
    Am I right in saying that the pro12 are guaranteed a minimum cash flow, even if ticket sales are awful and they don't get any more sponsors.

Leinster
    errlloyd wrote: »
    Am I right in saying that the pro12 are guaranteed a minimum cash flow, even if ticket sales are awful and they don't get any more sponsors.

That's correct. I believe it's €20m guaranteed.

• Advertisement

Leinster
    Btw the free tickets appear to be gone folks*. The link cookiemunster provided earlier where I got the tickets is now showing as no tickets left.

*gone for the time being anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

.ak wrote: »
    Well it's a steep learning curve for the new management... But honestly, have they never heard of the phrase - if it ain't broke don't fix it?

All very amateur, and I'm aware they are still learning, but this should not be the place to learn it. It's supposed to be the pinnacle of European, if not the world, club rugby.

its it not the same people running the show, just to the tune set by france and england over meritocracy and no interference in the playoffs in either country???

Leinster
    aimee1 wrote: »
    its it not the same people running the show, just to the tune set by france and england over meritocracy and no interference in the playoffs in either country???

Tis, but I am pretty confident that they were given the schedule and did not create it themselves.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

ERC were retained on a one year agreement as EPCR didn't exist except on paper at the start of the season. Not sure whether the handover has been completed by now, though ERC were still running the show till the end of the group stages?

Leinster
    EPCR board.
    The Board of EPCR is made up of the following directors: Rob Andrew (RFU), Philip Browne (IRFU), Bruce Craig (PRL), Gareth Davies (WRU), Mark Davies (Pro Rugby Wales), Mark Dodson (SRU), René Fontes (LNR), Fabrizio Gaetaniello (FIR), Ian McLauchlan (SRU), Paul McNaughton (IRFU), Michel Palmié (FFR) and Andrea Rinaldo (FIR).
    EPCR's Executive Committee, which is responsible for leading the commercial strategy for the organisation and its tournaments, is made up of Bruce Craig, René Fontes and Paul McNaughton who work alongside Director General, Jacques Pineau.

European Rugby Cup officials seconded to run the inaugural European Rugby Champions Cup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭aimee1

Tis, but I am pretty confident that they were given the schedule and did not create it themselves.

so it is basically the french and english who have messed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭OldRio

aimee1 wrote: »
    so it is basically the french and english who have messed up.

Standby,

He will be here in a second.:D

Leinster

Yeah the schedule was certainly agreed during negotiations.

I really don't think the new competition has anything to do with this though outside of that. I don't even really think the extra week would have enticed anyone else. If this was the Heineken Cup final in Twickenham between these two teams it would attract just as much apathy. The only way around this empty stadium was having the final in Paris I'd imagine, and we can't just stick the final in Paris every year on the off chance it'll be an all-French final.

Leinster

I really don't think the new competition has anything to do with this though outside of that. I don't even really think the extra week would have enticed anyone else. If this was the Heineken Cup final in Twickenham between these two teams it would attract just as much apathy. The only way around this empty stadium was having the final in Paris I'd imagine, and we can't just stick the final in Paris every year on the off chance it'll be an all-French final.

Have you forgotten about this exact fixture being played in Not France 2 years ago?

Att: 51,142 (out of a possible 51,700)

• Advertisement

Leinster

On its own, maybe not. But when you have three knockout matches in five weekends it puts a lot of pressure on supporters to make ends meet.

Advertisement