Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official EPCR Champions Cup Preview Thread - A New Hope

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Swiwi. wrote: »
    Something else. Can't speak for the Leinster match but for the Clermont one EVERY TIME there was a break in play on came the physios, water boys etc. too much like gridiron for my liking. Should be seriously reduced it was basically delaying tactics from sarries.

The ref has final say about that. A lot of refs won't allow water on the pitch unless there's a serious reason for stoppage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

I never understood why in both the old and new competitions, there was not a clause whereby if two teams from the same country were in the final, then the final would be moved to that country.

not only the above answer but the logistics of organising a final would mean you couldn't wait that long from the venues perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 17,764 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ulster
    I think I must be mad and I'm clearly in a minority but I don't think 80 quid is expensive for a category 1 ticket to (in theory) the biggest club game of the season?

I'm sure prices will fall, but I don't think they're that high really.

I think that's fair enough, it is the biggest European club game of the season (and not in theory either) so you shouldn't expect to get tickets for peanuts.

Ulster
    I hope Italy gets it as they were shafted out of it this year (2015 Heineken Cup was supposed to be at San Siro). I doubt it's going to happen though and empty seats at Twickenham certainly won't help their chances.

I bet it's Cardiff.

Leinster
    bilston wrote: »
    I think that's fair enough, it is the biggest European club game of the season (and not in theory either) so you shouldn't expect to get tickets for peanuts.

I absolutely do now though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭techdiver

I was looking at flights yesterday before the game for the final (eternal optimist) and the cheapest was €140 return. Checked again today and they are down to €40 return. The airlines don't miss a trick! :D

As with everything, whether it be ticket prices, transport and accommodation (although London prices usually seem steady regardless or what is on, not like the disaster that is Cardiff), there will always be profiteering based on supply and demand. The problem for EPC Rugby is that this has backfired this year and the structure they have put in place whereby the richest clubs will only get richer will ensure this continues.

If they want full stadia for finals from now on, they might as well play them in France.

Ulster
    I absolutely do now though!

Sure what's £80 to someone on a London wage :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster

I could get a pint for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

From the Guardian..... "Toulon have already returned 40% of their ticket allocation & Clermont have been allocated only 5,000"

Clermont have great support but they don't travel. Twickenham is going to be half empty, interesting to see the Aviva Prem twitter page really push tickets for the final, don't think they would have done that under the ERC days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

For all that I understand it is two French teams and people are wary, I'd suggest anyone who can go does. It has the elements of being an absolutely cracking game and the French fans who do go will make a bloody good show of it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I do wonder how it's going to go but the last 2 finals, Toulon Clermont and Toulon Sarries, have had all right attendances.

Not full houses but good enough. The Aviva game had 50K and the Millennium Stadium game had 67K, officially.

Toulon and Clermont both had home QFs and "home" SFs too so who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/apr/20/european-champions-cup-empty-twickenham-final

Oh dear...

Also of note, ze French have put in a bid for Marseille to host the 2016 final rather than Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster
    http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/apr/20/european-champions-cup-empty-twickenham-final

Oh dear...

Also of note, ze French have put in a bid for Marseille to host the 2016 final rather than Paris.
    There's a thread on another forum speculating if the semi-final draws are/were rigged. All I can think is, if they were rigged you certainly wouldn't want to make it easy for the French to get through!

In one way I'd like to say good riddance to a half-empty ground. In another sense it's very sad. If they do cut prices though I'd consider flying over, with it being the bank holiday weekend and all.

What this will teach EPCR is they have to move back to a three week gap between knockout matches or this is going to be repeat itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster

Oh dear...

This was always going to happen with these two French teams in the final. They couldn't sell out the Aviva with a load of Irish fans going, there is simply no way they'll get big numbers this time either. Twickenham was great for the 2012 final because the vast majority of spectators were supporters of the sides involved. This time the supporters will be massively outnumbered by the neutrals. Even if they can up the attendance numbers by a decent amount the atmosphere will still be pretty poor.

Northampton

Oh dear...

Honestly I can't blame fans for being cynical.

Two teams bought and paid for, political machinations behind closed doors deciding the fate of the tournament in the best interests of everyone bar the players and fans and only 1 English team within even a whiff of a final despite the tournament changing mostly to accommodate the English clubs' sense of entitlement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Leinster
    molloyjh wrote: »
    This was always going to happen with these two French teams in the final. They couldn't sell out the Aviva with a load of Irish fans going, there is simply no way they'll get big numbers this time either. Twickenham was great for the 2012 final because the vast majority of spectators were supporters of the sides involved. This time the supporters will be massively outnumbered by the neutrals. Even if they can up the attendance numbers by a decent amount the atmosphere will still be pretty poor.

Lads the other thing is that outside of traveling, French fans won't pay big money for tickets. I was at the 2010 final in Paris and paid €18 for my ticket. The cheapest tickets for the 2011 final in Cardiff were £35. And this time they're £38 with the worst exchange rate in years.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clermont
    at the end of the day, the teams are from 2 cities with a combined population of less than 300,000

they are not going to fill a 82,000 stadium in a different country

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭jacothelad

sydthebeat wrote: »
    at the end of the day, the teams are from 2 cities with a combined population of less than 300,000

Just shows the crassness of being unable to have a contingency in place to change the final venue in sucha case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

jacothelad wrote: »
    Just shows the crassness of being unable to have a contingency in place to change the final venue in sucha case.

There is absolutely no feasible way of changing the venue. People have tickets, hotels and transport arrange months in advance.

sydthebeat wrote: »

That doesn't sound right at all? I've been to Toulon and Clermont, they both strike me as being pretty decent sized cities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Just my 2c, but Clermont & Toulon couldn't be more different areas of France: Clermont - central, rural. Toulon - southern, more urban, (more brash).

It shoudn't necessarily be a surprise if the 2 sets of fans are not that alike.

Clermont is not a big population TF. Toulon neither. And outside of Clermont, the other towns in Auvergne are small, Vichy probably next biggest, maybe 30,000 off the top of my head.

Leinster

No idea, I'm not on a London wage!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Leinster
    That doesn't sound right at all? I've been to Toulon and Clermont, they both strike me as being pretty decent sized cities.

About 140k in Clermont and about 160k in Toulon according to the bible that is Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Probably 2 Cork sized towns I'd wager, both quite a trek away from reasonable connections to London (Lyon for Clermont and Marseille/Nice for Toulon). Unless the EPC swing a decent deal with the charters you won't get the masses travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

http://planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3551_44611,00.html

Well phuck.

Toulon finally have Cooper.

molloyjh wrote: »
    About 140k in Clermont and about 160k in Toulon according to the bible that is Wikipedia.

I think that's in the same way that Dublin has a population of 400,000 though, it's based on the 'city limits'. Both cities would be much larger than that in reality.

Anyway, it's irrelevant. Realistically, Toulon and Clermont fans are going to looking at this thinking, right, I've just been to the European semi-final, the Top 14 playoffs are coming up, I'm not bothered going to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Greyian

And Toulon might not be done there, with reports emerging this morning that Paul O'Connell could also be on their radar.

Can anyone really see that happening?

• Administrators Posts: 53,509 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Munster
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭UnitedWeStand

Greyian wrote: »
    Can anyone really see that happening?

Irish players are generally very grounded at home, its one of the biggest things the provinces have going for them. Sexton was the only one who left and that was mainly only due to the fact he felt a bit d***ed on.

I think with POC having a kid that'll be a deciding factor in staying.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,227 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Clermont
    the guy has 2 european medals, 3 celtic league medals, 3 six nations, 4 triple crowns, 1 grand slam, 3 lions tours

he has nothing to prove by going to france

Advertisement