Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Rumble Pre Show Thread *30 competitors again!!*

Options
  • 08-10-2014 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭

Announcement made during the Smackdown tapings last night was that the Royal Rumble will be going back to 40 entrants at the 2015 Royal Rumble in Philadelphia.

Who will win the Rumble 131 votes

Orton
    0% 0 votes
    Reigns
    1% 2 votes
    Bryan
    40% 53 votes
    Rollins / Brock / Cena
    38% 51 votes
    Ziggler
    0% 1 vote
    Ryback
    1% 2 votes
    Ambrose
    0% 1 vote
    Wyatt
    2% 3 votes
    HHH
    1% 2 votes
    A surprise entrant - Sting, Batista, Taker, Jericho etc
    2% 3 votes
    Rusev
    9% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Announcement made during the Smackdown tapings last night was that the Royal Rumble will be going back to 40 entrants at the 2015 Royal Rumble in Philadelphia.

Ugh, that's a mistake. 40 guys is a cluster****.

The upside is its more space for surprise entrants/NXT cameos.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I really enjopyed the 40 man rumble, as there was more chance of all the "favourites" to be in it and then the surprises could be added without diluting the rumble itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

For me that would make it far more likely that we get the match we want (Rollins vs Ambrose) in the hell in a cell .

Cena losing clean via pinfall or submission in a preliminary match up would make no sense in the wwes eyes (that would be a ppv main event finish and a huge push in itself for them) so this stip means ambrose can progress without having to do so (probably still involve a screwy finish though like an authority attack on botg to weaken whoever for seth)
    My first thought was who are going to interfer to make sure Cena lose the match... I honestly can't see the match end in any other way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Moneymaker wrote: »
    Ugh, that's a mistake. 40 guys is a cluster****.

Vehemently disagree. The previous 40 man flew by.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Was actually thinking about the Rumble a while back and thought they'd have to do this: there are too many people due to return and then a bunch of NXT guys (DEVITT!!!!!) that I reckon they'd like to make cameos.

Happy out with the news personally. Re-watch the 40-man Rumble if you've any doubts - it's one of the best ones. And we're due a classic Rumble match too.

• Advertisement

Guess I was the only one who thought 40 was too many.

Like I said though, it's not without its upsides, harder to pick a winner and more room for returns/surprise entrants.

Watch World War III matches if you really want to see a cluster **** :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I agree 40 is too many. If anything they should cut it down to 20 unless they can genuinely book the build and the match so you believe that more than two or three guys could win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

You can't book Battle Royals, all you can book are highlights. The mystique with the Rumble comes from:

a) The entrances and anticipation behind them, of which there are now more.
    b) Those individual highlight spots and eliminations, again there's now more of them to work with too.
    c) The finish.

Relax guys, I really think this is a good thing! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Ageyev wrote: »
    I agree 40 is too many. If anything they should cut it down to 20 unless they can genuinely book the build and the match so you believe that more than two or three guys could win.

This is the important part; doesn't matter how few or many are in it if the booking in the weeks before hand sucks. I enjoy more people since that gives the chance for more surprise entrants, but if everyone goes in knowing Reigns is winning, then it doesn't matter if he goes through 19, 29 or 39 other people....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

leggo wrote: »
    You can't book Battle Royals, all you can book are highlights. The mystique with the Rumble comes from:

a) The entrances and anticipation behind them, of which there are now more.
    b) Those individual highlight spots and eliminations, again there's now more of them to work with too.
    c) The finish.

Relax guys, I really think this is a good thing! :)
    Gotta agree with leggo, the difference between the Royal Rumble and Battle Royales is that the entrances are spaced out and it's more of a slog to win it from earlier than it is later and you can never be sure when someone or who is coming out. It's lots of fun! Hope Kane gets his two eliminations this year to become the leading wrestler for most eliminations.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Lord TSC wrote: »
    This is the important part; doesn't matter how few or many are in it if the booking in the weeks before hand sucks. I enjoy more people since that gives the chance for more surprise entrants, but if everyone goes in knowing Reigns is winning, then it doesn't matter if he goes through 19, 29 or 39 other people....

It is the Grand National of Pro Wrestling.

I think Reigns is out of the running to win it now unless he's back within the next month and they catch lightning in a bottle and he gets more over then he's been since the Shield split.

Lots of people in wrestling(Austin, and a WWE trainer who's name I can't remember) have both said Reigns needs at least a year or two before he's pushed into that spot.

It'd go down like a lead balloon if he won it imo. You'd have a similar situation to Batista where fans turned on him as someone they felt more deserving was overlooked(Bryan).

If you're basing it on a fast rising star, there's really only one name on the list....

• Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Austin to return number 30 in the Rumble and beat Lesnar at WM31.

If you're basing it on a fast rising star, there's really only one name on the list....
    I think there's 2 to be honest. Hard to discount Rollins from that list. A heel (at the time of the Rumble) hasn't won it since Del Rio which is a very long time to go for a heel not to win the Rumble. I still think Reigns will win it (which would be unfortunate) but I see him, Ambrose, Rollins and Bryan being the last 4. That would be pretty awesome.
    Austin to return number 30 in the Rumble and beat Lesnar at WM31.
    Not going to happen. If Austin is coming back for a short run it'll be a one and done type thing. A match at WM 31 against someone he wants to face. I don't think he'd go with Lesnar, far too much of a chance of the physicality of Lesnar taking a toll on him ala Undertaker.

I think there's 2 to be honest. Hard to discount Rollins from that list.

Yeaaaah, I was tempted to mention him, but figure the MITB will keep him off the list. I'd imagine it's more likely that Reigns or Ambrose winning the Rumble, and subsequentially the title, would lead to Rollins cashing in and keeping that Shield story arc going...

Yeaaaah, I was tempted to mention him, but figure the MITB will keep him off the list. I'd imagine it's more likely that Reigns or Ambrose winning the Rumble, and subsequentially the title, would lead to Rollins cashing in and keeping that Shield story arc going...
    I don't know, I think that WWE (both Vince and Trips) see Rollins as the future number one heel in the company. What better way to be a super heel then win the Rumble, go on to WM 31, lose the match, destroy his opponent after with a vicious attack, cash in and win the title. Would be amazing a way to make Rollins an even bigger heel than he is now. The Shield are without a doubt going to be the start of NXT bringing forward future stars.

Rollins, Ambrose and Bryan would be the 3 obvious ones. If the rumble was next month Ambrose is the clear favorite.

A strongly pushed Cesaro(hah!), Orton, Cena and Reigns are possibilities.

I expect the likes of Rusev to go on a complete tear. 4-5 NXT guys for sure will appear. Would be great to introduce Steen early in the match and go on a rampage for 30 minutes or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Kurt Angle has said that he'll be debuting for his new promotion in January and the Rumble is both in January and in his home state.

Just imagine the ovation. Come on Vince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Hope Kane gets his two eliminations this year to become the leading wrestler for most eliminations.

would love it to happen but Hunter is too protective of his pal Shawn's record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

If this year's anything to go by, a 40 man rumble would be a good thing. This year wasn't even able to fit in a lot of the lower card guys. We even had el torito but neither of Los Matadores. Then there were others who didn't get on.
    I'd say even with the extra 10 slots they may struggle to get everyone since they still feel the need to get the surprises. Of course if one surprise is Jake Roberts I wouldn't complain

I'd like to see more NXT guys introduced as well - give them a shot on a massive stage like that - get them in the eyes of the casuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why would you want more lower card guys in there? Guys like Los Matadores would not have made any sort of meaningful impact whatsoever, so having them come out after the count down will be met with silence.

Thread split for news thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

I'd like to see more NXT guys introduced as well - give them a shot on a massive stage like that - get them in the eyes of the casuals.

NXT wrestlers don't seem to get much of a reaction when introduced cold without vignettes.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sin Eater

Don't watch NXT, but this is what I'd love to see, give a one or two guys a good run in the rumble would set them up brilliantly for the main card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Ageyev wrote: »
    NXT wrestlers don't seem to get much of a reaction when introduced cold without vignettes.

Would be little pop from the casuals but I suppose the point would be to have an unknown come out and then suddenly do something awesome in the ring that makes people take notice.

It's in Philly. You will have lots of hardcore fans there. They'll get pops.

Would be little pop from the casuals but I suppose the point would be to have an unknown come out and then suddenly do something awesome in the ring that makes people take notice.

exactly, like imagine if devitt made a debut, in full bodypaint get up (for example, i dont know if he will ever use it), everyone in the ring stops and looks confused, the commentators big him up and he hits the ring and starts kicking ass all over the shop.

He wouldn't be forgotten very soon!

Probably also a gimmick to get subscribers for the network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,310 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Two things we will all probably know before it kicks off who will win and Kofi will have crazy elimination saving spot.

Advertisement