Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Beaner1 wrote: »
    I'm basing it largely on appearamce and accents. Also the fact they are out blocking workers every single day around Dublin.

"Appearance and accents"...? Ok...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Single best IW water meter protester video ever .

now the poor unfortunate' s are running out of steam 3 whole idiots been schooled by a Sargent and gob****e No1 couldn't get a reaction .

Ohhhh the brutality of justice

• Registered Users Posts: 25,440 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

"Appearance and accents"...? Ok...

If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck and acts like a duck, chances are it's not going to be a peacock.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

You're going to have be more specific than that - i mean, people voicing their opinion? People standing up for themselves? Singing? - which is it you feel is the problem?

I would mainly have a problem with the obstruction and harassment of workers.

Just because they are attempting to sing or dance for a few short minutes does not mean that it is a peaceful protest.

The individuals in the videos posted on that YouTube channel are engaged in harassment, obstruction and in some cases intimidation of workers.

I don't know how i would react if I couldn't do my job because of that collection standing beside my desk.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,165 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Badger2009 wrote: »
    I would mainly have a problem with the obstruction and harassment of workers.

Just because they are attempting to sing or dance for a few short minutes does not mean that it is a peaceful protest.

The individuals in the videos posted on that YouTube channel are engaged in harassment, obstruction and in some cases intimidation of workers.

I don't know how i would react if I couldn't do my job because of that collection standing beside my desk.

Oh, absolutely. But what i saw was singing and dancing. Peacefully. Nowwhile I didn't look at the full video, and while you may well be correct in saing there was intimidation goign on at that specific scene off camera.

But I'm goign on what I saw. I wasn't there. If other posters want to lable them "knackers" not because of what may or may not have happened but because of their "accent and appearance" than sorry - but that just takes ignorance to whole new level.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Shush now, remember anyone who hasnt filled in their Water pack and sent it back Pronto with an advanced cheque of €600 are nothing more than, Scum/Knackers/Low Class Inbreeds/Knuckle Draggers/Dolers/Jobless/ (Have I left out anything) and they need their heads cracked by our fantastic Gardai who can do no wrong!

You left out tracksuits and Dutch Gold :D

Also do people not realise that it's not only people in Dublin protesting?
    Can country folk garner the enviable title of scobbie or is a lot of this thread not really about protesters but some posters dislike of Dublin people? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I asked this on other threads.

Anyone any sources of any of these protesters being charged with either, harassment, assault or criminal damage yet?

I find it odd that I've been googling and can't seem to find anyone charged yet (despite constant Garda presence) , never mind prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Anyone any sources of any of these protesters being charged with either, harassment, assault or criminal damage yet?

I find it odd that I've been googling and can't seem to find anyone charged yet (despite constant Garda presence) , never mind prosecuted.

Do the Gardaí usually publish arrests and charges online?

papu wrote: »
    Do the Gardaí usually publish arrests and charges online?

So that's a no then. ('sources' doesn't just mean Gardai btw)

Ok........

Unfortunately it doesn't appear any have been although i think a judge granted a high court order against a number of these individuals, based on video evidence, who then had to sign undertakings agreeing not to undertake in such activities.

I think this is more to do with Gardai being afraid to press charges due to the bad press associated with it and Irish Water. And the risk of complaints etc. to GSOC. It is easier to stand by and let the workers take the flak.

I think it is a failing on the guards because the videos clearly show harassment, obstruction and intimidation. Taken in any other context most people would agree.

Imagine if an ambulance was trying to get to the scene of accident and these people turned up with their slow march/dancing nonsense. And then when the ambulance tries to go around the crowd they get verbally abused for it. Nobody would stand for it but yet it seems to be going on unhindered in these videos at these protest sites.

• Advertisement

The judges orders were not to continue to obstruct or interfere with any of the GMC Sierra workers. It had nothing to do with harassment, intimidation or criminal damage.

I'll go on record to say that, yes some of the protesters are coming across as idiotic in some of the videos, but they are indulging in peaceful protests.

Also, in retrospect, the protester's and protests seem to be working.

The Govt are back-pedalling frantically.

I will also go on record to say that the charges (and Irish water) will be abandoned.

The whole process has been a shambles from start to finish.

It would also seem that every single application pack sent out could be deemed as null and void anyway.

(according to this firm of solicitors)

http://www.mcgarrsolicitors.ie/2014/10/22/irish-water-ppsns-and-the-missing-ministers-agreement/

Why did the Minister not sign this yet :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Brilliant. Could watch that clip again and again. 4 times he has to explain it.

"Here do you see dem wheels on the truck they're bald". What an utter numb nut.

I would agree that most of it has been very badly handled. I think irish water has been very poor in its communication and it appears very amateur.

I think the organised marches are peaceful, well organised and definitely seem to be having the desired effect.

The protests in housing estates are a different story imo. I think the videos do show harassment obstruction and intimidation. The one that really caught my eye (I posted it a few pages back) was of a poor lad trying to push a wheelbarrow full of concrete and was being blocked by the protestors. He then tried to go round them and they tore into him with abuse.

I just feel sorry for the workers. The guards should protect them in these circumstances.

Why don't the protestors stick to large scale organised protests that seem to be working instead of stopping lads trying to do a days work?

I assume it's because some folk (myself included) suspect that water meter installation will indeed pave the way for all out privatisation of our water system.

In saying that, my own house (bought from plans, back in the height of the boom) already had a meter fitted (or at least had the cover etc to fit one,) I work (sometimes 7 days a week) and so definitely didn't see workers install one on my street (but there's one there alright, I've seen it)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Brilliant. Could watch that clip again and again. 4 times he has to explain it.

"Here do you see dem wheels on the truck they're bald". What an utter numb nut.

"And where did you get your technical qualification to make such a statement"

Brilliant response.

The judges orders were not to continue to obstruct or interfere with any of the GMC Sierra workers. It had nothing to do with harassment, intimidation or criminal damage.

I'll go on record to say that, yes some of the protesters are coming across as idiotic in some of the videos, but they are indulging in peaceful protests.

Also, in retrospect, the protester's and protests seem to be working.

The Govt are back-pedalling frantically.

I will also go on record to say that the charges (and Irish water) will be abandoned.

The whole process has been a shambles from start to finish.

It would also seem that every single application pack sent out could be deemed as null and void anyway.

(according to this firm of solicitors)

http://www.mcgarrsolicitors.ie/2014/10/22/irish-water-ppsns-and-the-missing-ministers-agreement/

Why did the Minister not sign this yet :confused:

Still spouting this nonsense? Do you have to cross your fingers and make a wish after you type the words?

I assume it's because some folk (myself included) suspect that water meter installation will indeed pave the way for all out privatisation of our water system.

I suppose it possibly could pave the way for privatisation. But the same could be said for having Irish Water as a separate entity to the state and having direct water charges. There doesn't need to be a meter for it to be privatised.

Thames Water (which I believe is now owned by a chinese group) have an opt in policy for meters so not every property has a meter. It may have been a better way to go than the mandatory meters in every property.

I don't think the meter installations should be stopped because of the protests in housing estates. IMO it would be effectively giving in to bullying behaviour from a minority. In most cases the protestors are not even residents in the estates.

The whole thing should be reviewed on the basis of well organised marches/protests attended by a large group of people. Not on the basis of 50-60 people hanging around an estate, obstucting lads trying to do a days work and then blocking them in their vans when they are trying to go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Looks like the whole IW scam is going down the toilet anyway. Fair play to the protesters but the real damage is being done by the refusal of ordinary decent working people who have had it with levels of corruption in this state. The government seems to looking for the exit door on the scam as they look tainted by the whole fiasco.

Still spouting this nonsense? Do you have to cross your fingers and make a wish after you type the words?

No, I just look at media reports of the public rejecting them (over a million not yet signed up), concession after concession being granted in the form of tax credits, and various other lures to entice the electorate to be 'consumer' = 'customer' .

The fact they're now talking about attempting to roll out capped charges until 2016, (which goes against any conservation bs) should be enough evidence for any sane person to see the writing on the wall.

Tomorrow week could possibly put the final nail in this mahogany casket.

No, I just look at media reports of the public rejecting them (over a million not yet signed up), concession after concession being granted in the form of tax credits, and various other lures to entice the electorate to be 'consumer' = 'customer' .

The fact they're now talking about attempting to roll out capped charges until 2016, (which goes against any conservation bs) should be enough evidence for any sane person to see the writing on the wall.

Tomorrow week could possibly put the final nail in this mahogany casket.

I would love to be a fly on the wall in your sitting room as it's announced in 2016 that FG/Labour win the next GE. FWIW I have never voted for either and I have yet to decide if i will vote for either of them.

• Advertisement

I would love to be a fly on the wall in your sitting room as it's announced in 2016 that FG/Labour win the next GE. FWIW I have never voted for either and I have yet to decide if i will vote for either of them.

You truly believe Labour will feature in the next government:confused:

That's gas.

You truly believe Labour will feature in the next government:confused:

That's gas.

No more funny than you believing that Gerry the molester protector will be the next Taoiseach.

No more funny than you believing that Gerry the molester protector will be the next Taoiseach.

I do?

Where have I ever said that, Cmon now...... Dig deep..... :D

I do?

Where have I ever said that, Cmon now...... Dig deep..... :D

Oh you may not have typed the words but we both know it's what you wish for ;)

Oh you may not have typed the words but we both know it's what you wish for ;)

That's why I fcuking love it when you reply to my posts, I have never said I reckoned Gerry Adams would be the next Taoiseach, never typed the words, never even discussed the possibility with friends/family/colleagues but yet, you know That's what I'm wishing for:confused:

Of all the people I engage with on this site, you always seem to be the easiest one to tie in knots.

Always demanding sources and evidence, but when asked for same from yourself, you claim you know it's what I secretly wish for.

You're the gift that keeps on giving tbh. :D

That's why I fcuking love it when you reply to my posts, I have never said I reckoned Gerry Adams would be the next Taoiseach, never typed the words, never even discussed the possibility with friends/family/colleagues but yet, you know That's what I'm wishing for:confused:

Of all the people I engage with on this site, you always seem to be the easiest one to tie in knots.

Always demanding sources and evidence, but when asked for same from yourself, you claim you know it's what I secretly wish for.

You're the gift that keeps on giving tbh. :D

Cool :rolleyes:

Cool :rolleyes:

Another fine rebuttal. :pac:

Like I say, the eternal gift giver.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Another fine rebuttal

Before you masturbate into a self congratulatory frenzy, you may ponder who you want as the next taoiseach.

You have 5 choices.

- Inda
    - Mehole
    - Gerry (never a member of the IRA apparently!)
    - Moan Bruton
    - Commie Joe Higgins.

Impart on us your preferred taoiseach Banjo.

Before you masturbate into a self congratulatory frenzy, you may ponder who you want as the next taoiseach.

You have 5 choices.

- Inda
    - Mehole
    - Gerry (never a member of the IRA apparently!)
    - Moan Bruton
    - Commie Joe Higgins.

Impart on us your preferred taoiseach Banjo.

If it's all the same to you, I'll make a decision come the general election.

Of the five choices you have given, I'm not 100 percent certain any of them will be party leaders come election time.

Btw, asking for a source or a post where some imaginary piece of text or opinions , are being ascribed to you is hardly,'self congratulatory'.

Doesn't that just pave the way for any poster to claim anything, about anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

If it's all the same to you, I'll make a decision come the general election.

Of the five choices you have given, I'm not 100 percent certain any of them will be party leaders come election time.

Btw, asking for a source or a post where some imaginary piece of text or opinions , are being ascribed to you is hardly,'self congratulatory'.

Doesn't that just pave the way for any poster to claim anything, about anyone?

I think his point is that they're all pretty bad.
    Of the options Gerry is useless and SF have some of the most ridiculous economic policies.
    Joe higgins is just as bad. Some nice ideas but some terrible ones too.
    Labour generally aren't too bad, but I wouldn't want Burton to be in charge.
    Fianna fail are a corrupt bunch of **** who caused the whole mess we find ourselves in over the last 5 years. I can't see how any of them have support.
    FG have made some mistakes but considering the whole sh1tstorm they took over that've actually not been as bad as they could be. I'm not a huge fan of then and I would never call myself a FG supporter but of all the options I don't think they're the best, I think they're the least bad.

Advertisement