Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Key word in the legislation is 'enclosed' ie with walls and a roof.

Any worker can spoke outside of he or she wishes - some companies might have a policy of not smoking close to existing offices, or have a smoke free campus policy, for example but pass any roadworks site and you'll see the lads happily (and legally) smoking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I wonder how these protesters would feel if somebody abused them in the course of their own jobs because their boss did something that caused offence

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    They're re-posted here by you people.

Sorry. I've tried to rationally debate this but I give up.

oldyouth wrote: »
    I wonder how these protesters would feel if somebody abused them in the course of their own jobs because their boss did something that caused offence

Of the ones that have jobs, they'd be the first one to run to management / shop steward. Then you'd be reading a few months of the ridiculous reward for 'de claim'

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Abuse them at the post office on paydays and I'm sure they'll be crying about there privacy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Well going by their logic, you could be the crap out of them as long as they are working for a private company at the time because it is outside the constitutional remit of the Gardaí to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Ten more peaceful protesters facing contempt in the high court
    The company is expected to ask the High Court for orders precluding protesters from coming within 20 metres of the works.

This he said would "enable them to continue their peaceful protests without unlawfully obstructing the workers".
    Interesting development if the high court grants this. They will have to hurl abuse from 20 metres away.
    Presumably you can come within 20 metres if you are not protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    Ten more peaceful protesters facing contempt in the high court

Interesting development if the high court grants this. They will have to hurl abuse from 20 metres away.
    Presumably you can come within 20 metres if you are not protesting.

Hopefully the judge sees sense and grants them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Badger2009 wrote: »
    Sorry. I've tried to rationally debate this but I give up.

Rationality???
    Don't make me laugh, I've been told that I was texting while driving and breaking the law, that I was someone who works only for cash and that I don't pay tax. That's just from one muppet.
    There's other people here telling people to 'go back to your council house' and wishing that our Gardai would 'beat and pepper spray protesters off the street'

And you now want to talk about rationality???????
    Please!

Gatling wrote: »
    Abuse them at the post office on paydays and I'm sure they'll be crying about there privacy

Jesus!

• Advertisement

Hopefully the judge sees sense and grants them

Here's hoping. You can still peacefully protest and be in contempt of court, as the Garda showed with that high court order video clip. Sounds like these protesters are experts in health and safety but need to brush up on juris prudence.

Rationality???
    Don't make me laugh, I've been told that I was texting while driving and breaking the law, that I was someone who works only for cash and that I don't pay tax. That's just from one muppet.
    There's other muppets here telling people to 'go back to your council house' and wishing that our Gardai would 'beat and pepper spray protesters off the street'

And you now want to talk about rationality???????
    Please!

Where did I say any of that?

You asked that I show evidence of my claims and then you said you would not look at anything posted as I only post videos that show the protestors in a bad light.

I then informed you that anything posted came from the protestors themselves. To support your argument you just said 'they're reposted here by you people'. I don't understand this argument.

Again, I'm sorry but I don't think you are willing to debate. You didn't respond to my other posts where I put forward my thoughts about the workers being harassed/obstructed (you won't look at the video showing this) and my opinion that they have a legitimate expectation that the Gardai should protect them from that.

Badger2009 wrote: »
    Where did I say any of that?

You asked that I show evidence of my claims and then you said you would not look at anything posted as I only post videos that show the protestors in a bad light.

I then informed you that anything posted came from the protestors themselves. To support your argument you just said 'they're reposted here by you people'. I don't understand this argument.

Again, I'm sorry but I don't think you are willing to debate. You didn't respond to my other posts where I put forward my thoughts about the workers being harassed/obstructed (you won't look at the video showing this) and my opinion that they have a legitimate expectation that the Gardai should protect them from that.

Is there any video's on any of the protesters sites that show peaceful protests?

Is there any video's on any of the protesters sites that show peaceful protests?

Yes. Some of the organised marches that have taken place. Last Saturday's one in particular.

Generally the protests that take place at the meter install sites do not show them to be peaceful. Almost all of them show the protestors harassing and obstructing the workers.

If you genuinely are here to debate this issue I would suggest you look up these sites and have a look at the videos for yourself.

I can't understand how you can firstly request that I post up videos supporting my claims and then say you won't look at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dean0088 wrote: »
    The top two trends among idiot protesters:
    • Recording "evidence" on smartphones and uploading said evidence to YouTube
    • Trying to catch police/workers out on laws entirely unrelated to their 'plight', which in truth they know nothing about.
    Also; recording the protester after getting arrested, and demanding to know why they got arrested, but never EVER showing what happened prior to then.

the_syco wrote: »
    Also; recording the protester after getting arrested, and demanding to know why they got arrested, but never EVER showing what happened prior to then.

This, they could all get jobs in the movie industry when this is all over as editors because they love to snip the **** out of the footage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Things were simpler a decade ago when people like this couldn't use computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Have we moved on?

As in 1916 people believed they had no other choice but to fight the government, regretfully they had to take up arms and fight their fellow Irish man to gain their goals.

In 2014 I see no difference, we have had water charges imposed on us by foreign powers, the government appear to care nothing about the ability to pay for water by the people and have imposed a charge that moan if not most of the people in this country find distasteful.

As in 1916 a small group of people have decided to stand up for themselves and are taking direct action to fight their corner.

I think perhaps this is the nub of it.

It is very obvious that the U-Tube protesters are in a small (and highly mobile) group.

The same persons are to be seen (and certainly heard) in so many clips from different locations,which would appear to indicate either they are multiple property owners or perhaps Landlords themselves ?

I spent several hours today in and around South Dublin/East Wicklow and came across three seperate Irish Water Meter Installation sites.

From 08.00 to 15.30 each of these sites were working normally,with in some cases householders chatting to the labourers and sharing cigarettes (:eek:).

NO protests,but plenty of interested observers and not a sign of any Gardai being required.

Is there a suggestion that somebody should bear arms against these ordinary Citizens because they are not "resisting" in the approved manner ?

I would'nt say the Government care nothing about the "Ability to Pay",but with the amount of household survey data and assorted Revenue information now available,this Government (or ANY Govt) has a very accurate view of where the average citizen disposes of their money.

For some people it will actually come down to a choice between cancelling a SKY Subscription,or scrubbing that Autumn break in Spain in order to "afford" their water bill....welcome to the world of the "ordinary" European,one we've ostensibly shared since 1970 ;)

The difference between 1916 and 2014 is so VAST as to be of Science Fiction levels,and attempting to somehow twist the two era's together just won't wash with anybody other than romantiscists.
    PinchFlat: I hope that's not too 'uncivil'.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WSn-9zzMxIU

So here we have a guard with a high court order and protesters breaching that. Is that not in itself illegal?

And the videos on Dublin says no and other websites show harrassment, intimidation and obstruction of people going about their jobs. Peaceful protest - no problem. But when people resort to the behaviours we see on these videos, that's where people have an issue

That video featuring Sergeant J 11 is indeed instructive,as he very clinically took control of the scenario,it is noteworthy that from 3.00 in,the DSN commentator runs out of steam,with much resorting to phoning for support and sidebar stuff about Truck Tyres,which J 11 dealt with in short order.

I could easily see that particular clip being of interest to Templemore Instructors in the future,when preparing training material for new Garda Recruits.

The entire Irish Water scenario is perhaps the most concentrated opportunity in decades for Irish people to at last reassess their relationship with Structured Society.

It is undoubtedly true that the Setup of Irish Water has been an absolute amateurish disaster.

I strongly believe that The Taoiseach made a significant error in putting Phil Hogan forward for the EU Commisionership,simply because Mr Hogan as the Minister responsible,had NOT seen this project through.

It is Phil Hogan's project and he alone should be answerable for the current shambles.

I would equally suggest that the current fiasco in relation to Irish Water matters,actually merits Mr.Hogan being recalled to Dáil Éireann for questioning on the matter.

It is obvious that the Company has not been set up in a transparent and effective manner,and even it's current proponents remain appalingly poor in their knowledge of it's own status.

If it were down to myself,I would immediately dispense with the services of several of the current IW Board,particularly Mr Tierney,as their continued presence effectively prevents the Company from being viewed as a "NEW" entity...I would describe the current board makeup as "Tainted" and not helpful to a company so badly in need of a Strategy going forward.

The Government need to IMMEDIATELY revisit Irish Water,with a renewed focus on appointing the BEST available in their field,rather than "Safe pairs of administrative hands" chosen for their mute compliance .

Personally,I have NO problem with a Water Meter,or with the principle of paying a fair rate for any service.

That rate,however,does NOT necessarily need to be linked to "Commerciality" (or Denis O Brien ;)) in any way,shape or form.

Therefore,I do have great problems with Irish Water being driven headlong towards the same place as ESB,Bord Gais,Coillte and other "commercially focused" State agencies are,which all too often is at the top end of EU Price Comparison charts for the services they provide.

Stop,Reassess,Reorganize,but this time get effective help and the people onside.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How come none of the freedom fighters ever had a problem with the poor downtrodden populations of places like the UK and Germany etc whos human rights are being taken away by having to pay for water? Is there a bit in human rights legislation where it's only a violation to charge irish people for water?

It's funny how when they are posting and reposting the link to the Un charter they never mention that "access to water" doesn't mention anything about that access meaning clean water piped to your kitchen sink and that being free. I put that to someone on my Facebook the other day that was droning on about various things, I'm still waiting on a reply.......

Then there's the " we shouldn't have to pay for water because it's a natural resources" line, I just thank god oil and gas are made in a factory so it's OK to charge for them........

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I just went in to the page "call for a revoultion in Ireland" to get an idea of people's issues and what not. Tbh it's done nothing to dispel my thoughts that the general public haven't a clue what they are going on about or what they are giving out about. Much like things the sort of rubbish I heard people going on about around everything from Lisbon referendums to local elections and on to water meters now, most are waffling on with authority with opinion shared on snippets of rubbish they heard and Chinese whispers that are miles from truth.

People will pretty much believe any old ****e if it's put on facebook in wording that tells it's true and they should believe it.

Apparently water costs nothing to produce, it's just "a few bob" to pipe it to your house. Isreal gets a mention in the next reply for whatever reason then it's back to water being a "god given right". Presumably that's expanded from the human right waffle.

Then it's just the scatter gun approach of "taking back our country", whatevers involved there is up to interpretation. Some "tell Angela Merkel to **** off" for good measure.

These are the kind of ill-informed eejits that make decisions ifor the country in elections. You should have to be able to demonstrate you understand what your voting for before being allowed to.

Presumably a certain percentage of people protesting voted for the current government in the last general election. Maybe they should have read the bits about water charges 3 years ago? Better to whinge later in though I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I seen on one fb page who's probably going to be served calling on protesters to unleash there secret weapon "kids"

Gatling wrote: »
    I seen on one fb page who's probably going to be served calling on protesters to unleash there secret weapon "kids"

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to these scumbags, Didnt they have an old man on a walker shuffling in front of Joan Burton's car last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

The man said he would discuss with them if they stopped filming him looks like they just wanted another slagging match and a youtube video they shouldn't be giving the time of day

The man behind that camera is a slug following him and intimidating him when he clearly asked not to be and the man behind the camera said it was his RIGHT to film him his RIGHT? Where were that mans rights getting bullied and intimidated on the streets

They will soon burn all their bridges with everyone and no one will listen or care because its clear they cant have any sort of rational discussion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

SweetChaos wrote: »
    The man said he would discuss with them if they stopped filming him looks like they just wanted another slagging match and a youtube video they shouldn't be giving the time of day

The man behind that camera is a slug following him and intimidating him when he clearly asked not to be and the man behind the camera said it was his RIGHT to film him his RIGHT? Where were that mans rights getting bullied and intimidated on the streets

They will soon burn all their bridges with everyone and no one will listen or care because its clear they cant have any sort of rational discussion

That video and the people in it is summed up by one line. The representative says 'it's not fair to film me' and the camera guy answers with 'life's not fair'. That's the unintelligent fools you have to deal with. it's incredible.

And I'm not saying that everyone against the water charges is a fool, not at all. But the majority of them, and the most vocal ones anyways, and who are most seen in the press and social media, are unintelligent, uneducated leaches on society who have a lot handed to them as it is.

So ****ing frustrating watching those videos.

How come none of the freedom fighters ever had a problem with the poor downtrodden populations of places like the UK and Germany etc whos human rights are being taken away by having to pay for water? Is there a bit in human rights legislation where it's only a violation to charge irish people for water?

It's funny how when they are posting and reposting the link to the Un charter they never mention that "access to water" doesn't mention anything about that access meaning clean water piped to your kitchen sink and that being free. I put that to someone on my Facebook the other day that was droning on about various things, I'm still waiting on a reply.......

Then there's the " we shouldn't have to pay for water because it's a natural resources" line, I just thank god oil and gas are made in a factory so it's OK to charge for them........

That is probably the most ill informed and uneducated post I've seen on this thread to date.
    I mean, it's really quite a simplistic view of how our country is funded and about the actual reason for setting up a super quango like 'Irish Water'.
    You're actually claiming that our water has been 'free' up to now!
    What a joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Absolute clusterf**k for the last I dunno how many pages. In work, gimmie time to clean up, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

MOD

Over 40 posts of baiting, trolling and general off topic crap deleted. Some of ye have had more than enough warnings at this stage and are skating on thin ice.

Give it a rest for your own sake. Report a post if you have a problem with it.

Thread reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I havent read this thread recently but post clean up it looks like it belongs in a right wing cranks private forum.

There's a brush that didnt sweep all before it eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Bambi wrote: »
    I havent read this thread recently but post clean up it looks like it belongs in a right wing cranks private forum.

There's a brush that didnt sweep all before it eh?

Obviously leftist on average seem to be the greater offenders.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Nothing would surprise me when it comes to these scumbags, Didnt they have an old man on a walker shuffling in front of Joan Burton's car last week.

the old man on a walker was there of his own free will, the way you make it out you'd swear he was being held at gunpoint or something!!

Advertisement