Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    You lads are gas craic altogether.
    There's one f*ckwit on here who has claimed that I draw the dole, don't pay taxes and the most recent, laughable claim, was that I was 'driving while texting, is there no law these protesters won't break'.
    Seriously people, if you want to argue the point in favour of water taxes/charges, you should drop the childish crap some of you come out with.

Problem is Fr Ned, they have failed to show any laws being broken by the protesters in any video, and when pressed to provide them they cant support their claims.

I would like to say who or who I really think these lads are but everytime I do I get an infraction! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Problem is Fr Ned, they have failed to show any laws being broken by the protesters in any video, and when pressed to provide them they cant support their claims.

I would like to say who or who I really think these lads are but everytime I do I get an infraction! :D

I've reported the false claims but to no avail. Mention a nationality and one gets accused of racism, yes racism........you couldn't make it up.
    Best thing is to ignore it, just smile and laugh at the pettiness of it all.
    I hope that's not too 'uncivil'.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,266 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Seems to be getting a bit trivial when people are arguing over bald tires and smoking and thinking it's in some way relevant to "peaceful protest".

If this is all that's left; slaash thread.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I've reported the false claims but to no avail. Mention a nationality and one gets accused of racism, yes racism........you couldn't make it up.
    Best thing is to ignore it, just smile and laugh at the pettiness of it all.
    I hope that's not too 'uncivil'.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WSn-9zzMxIU

So here we have a guard with a high court order and protesters breaching that. Is that not in itself illegal?

And the videos on Dublin says no and other websites show harrassment, intimidation and obstruction of people going about their jobs. Peaceful protest - no problem. But when people resort to the behaviours we see on these videos, that's where people have an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 25,490 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Timberrrrrrrr;92645941]

As I have pointed out, the law is the law. If people choose to break the law then that is their option.

Just because people break the law by smoking in the workplace regardless of it being outdoors, this cant cancel out those laws.

Define the workplace for someone who works out doors and define what a smoking area is please, Also still waiting for you to show the law that states employers MUST provide a dedicated smoking area.

What is the law on smoking in the workplace? You can only smoke in designated areas outdoors.

Is a public street a designated area by an employer to smoke? NO.

I don't think you fully understand the law, colour me surprised :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Seems to be getting a bit trivial when people are arguing over bald tires and smoking and thinking it's in some way relevant to "peaceful protest".

Don't for get 'texting while driving' even though I was sitting at my kitchen table using the laptop.....
    It's just childish minds with nothing better to do.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WSn-9zzMxIU

So here we have a guard with a high court order and protesters breaching that. Is that not in itself illegal?

And the videos on Dublin says no and other websites show harrasent, intimidation and obstruction of people going about their jobs. Peaceful protest - no problem. But then people resort to the behaviours we see on these videos, that's where people have an issue

I don't nor haven't watched any of the videos you guys put up and the reason for that is that you have never posted a video of a peaceful protest where nothing really happened.
    It's a one sided show all the way from you people.

It is claimed that the protesters are braking the law and because they are law breakers they are "Scum"

When its pointed out to them that no laws have been broken they refuse to withdraw their claims of the protesters being "scum" they refuse.

However when its pointed out that the Irish Water workers appear to be breaking laws, the very same people rush to their defence!

I have never in my life seen such a thread allowed to continue where certain posters are allowed to attack and using offensive slurs against other people.

What makes it worse is that these people are being defamed in videos they appear in by the same group of posters and leaving boards.ie open to legal action.

I certainly agree this thread has served its time and needs to be closed, its become nothing more than a circle jerk for people who have nothing better to do that make libelous attacks on people in videos.

I don't nor haven't watched any of the videos you guys put up and the reason for that is that you have never posted a video of a peaceful protest where nothing really happened.

It was uploaded by your buddies in the Dublin says no :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,369 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This thread has really lost the run of itself....

Some are claiming that the protests are working based on the Budget announcements..

It's very debatable whether the government really changed their minds in the last few days in regards to the reliefs against water charges , but that's a discussion for another thread..

However if we believe for a moment that they did in fact change tack over the week-end then it was the well organised ,calm and totally legal protest in Dublin city on Saturday that would have done it..Whether you agree with the protest or not , it was done the right way.

It certainly had absolutely nothing to do with the on-going water meter installation "protests" that are happening in Dublin.

As I said before - regardless of the finer points of legality ( we could all go round and round forever on that one) , protests that involve screaming and shouting obscenities , name calling and other infantile activities (crowding around people to stop them doing work , blocking vehicles , "baby-steps" etc.) achieve absolutely nothing in the long term...

It doesn't garner wider support , it doesn't actually prevent the work being done (slows it down for sure) and it's not going to stop bills coming through the postbox in January or whenever the first one is due.

The Government isn't going to give in to that kind of activity , because lets be fair , it doesn't hurt them in the slightest. The people involved in these activities are not their voters and never have been (maybe a few Labour voters in there, but likely a small number percentage-wise). These guys are SF , AAA, PbP and Workers party voters and always have been.

However , 100k people turning up in Dublin to calmly and correctly protest their case - that's a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Badger2009

But the videos are put up by the 'peaceful protestors'? Their own videos show them obstructing and harassing workers.

It's just a pity there's not a law against posting crap on the internet about people you know nothing about.
    But we know what we're dealing with here.

It is claimed that the protesters are braking the law and because they are law breakers they are "Scum"

When its pointed out to them that no laws have been broken they refuse to withdraw their claims of the protesters being "scum" they refuse.

However when its pointed out that the Irish Water workers appear to be breaking laws, the very same people rush to their defence!

I have never in my life seen such a thread allowed to continue where certain posters are allowed to attack and using offensive slurs against other people.

What makes it worse is that these people are being defamed in videos they appear in by the same group of posters and leaving boards.ie open to legal action.

I certainly agree this thread has served its time and needs to be closed, its become nothing more than a circle jerk for people who have nothing better to do that make libelous attacks on people in videos.

Their's your problem right there.

Define the workplace for someone who works out doors and define what a smoking area is please, Also still waiting for you to show the law that states employers MUST provide a dedicated smoking area.

Is it illegal to smoke in the workplace YES/NO

Where can people smoke whilst at work, Designated areas? YES/NO

Is the outdoors in a public street a designated area? YES/NO

Would a employer allow a worker to smoke at any time near heavy machinery and dealing with the public? YES/NO

Badger2009 wrote: »
    But the videos are put up by the 'peaceful protestors'? Their own videos show them obstructing and harassing workers.

They're re-posted here by you people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

You haven't watched any of them but you know the contents of all of them.
    This thread is going quantam.

Their's your problem right there.

Theirs your problem, unlike you I do not claim people have broken the law because only a court of law can pass that.

However you carry on;:rolleyes:

Anyway, enough said.
    Time to restock the ignore list.

Is it illegal to smoke in the workplace YES/NO

IN The work place? Yes
    Where can people smoke whilst at work, Designated areas? YES/NO

Yes, Do you have evidence that "outside" is not classed as the designated smoking area?
    Is the outdoors in a public street a designated area? YES/NO

Yes
    Would a employer allow a worker to smoke at any time near heavy machinery and dealing with the public? YES/NO

Yes

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/health_and_safety/ban_on_smoking_in_the_workplace_in_ireland.html
    Smoking is forbidden in enclosed places of work .

Rules
    You are not allowed to smoke in an enclosed place of work

=Timberrrrrrrr;92646352]

IN The work place? Yes

Are you seriously now claiming that the Irish water worker want IN his workplace?

Yes, Do you have evidence that "outside" is not classed as the designated smoking area?

YES, an company has no legal rights to claim that a public street is their designated smoking area.

Yes

Rubbish, prehaps you can prrovide me the law wehere private companies can claim public areas as their designated areas?

Yes

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/health_and_safety/ban_on_smoking_in_the_workplace_in_ireland.html

Rules

So what about all those workers smoking in a enclosed space that is closed off as they install meters?

Simple questions for you agian,

Is the Worker in the video at work YES/NO

IS It Legal to smoke in your workplace? YES/NO

Is the worker in his workplace YES/NO

Are you saying public streets can be taken as private designated areas by private companies? YES/NO

I wont be able to reply for a while as Im back at work now, unlike some who seem to be posting all the time whilst at work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

What is the law on smoking in the workplace? You can only smoke in designated areas outdoors..
    As I pointed out a few posts ago (but you chose to ignore), this only applies to people who work in enclosed locations.
    The employer does not even have to provide a smoking area.
    Is a public street a designated area by an employer to smoke? NO.
    No - but it is designated by law that any adult can smoke there

So what about all those workers smoking in a enclosed space that is closed off as they install meters?

Can you show me one of them smoking in an enclosed space?

Bearing in mind an enclosed space in relation to the smoking laws is
    Smoking is forbidden in enclosed places of work . This includes office blocks, various buildings, public houses/bars, restaurants and company vehicles (cars and vans).

Yes they are

Again i point out the IMPORTANT word

No he isn't
    Are you saying public streets can be taken as private designated areas by private companies? YES/NO

Where did i say that?

I wont be able to reply for a while as Im back at work now, unlike some who seem to be posting all the time whilst at work.

Care to name them?

Peppa Pig wrote: »
    As I pointed out a few posts ago (but you chose to ignore), this only applies to people who work in enclosed locations.
    The employer does not even have to provide a smoking area.

No - but it is designated by law that any adult can smoke there

My apologies, must have missed that post.

Maybe you could be a dear and post the law that says you can smoke in the workplace outside?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Maybe you could be a dear and post the law that says you can smoke in the workplace outside?

You're a special one. Laws are not there to describe even possible legal situation. They are there to show illegal situations. Such an irrelevant thing to argue about. Go back to your council house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

The top two trends among idiot protesters:
    • Recording "evidence" on smartphones and uploading said evidence to YouTube
    • Trying to catch police/workers out on laws entirely unrelated to their 'plight', which in truth they know nothing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Dean0088 wrote: »
    • Trying to catch police/workers out on laws entirely unrelated to their 'plight', which in truth they know nothing about.

Don't forget the Garda Brutality headlines for the videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can you read?

Does that look like a outdoor smoking area too you?

Are you deliberately missing the word enclosed or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Don't be so condescending.

There is no law saying you can smoke in the workplace outside. The law (as you clearly know) bans smoking in enclosed places, including workplaces.
    It never needed to be legislated allowing it outdoors in the workplace as it always was allowed. It's the same as smoking being allowed in private cars. If that is ever banned it will be legislated as not being allowed in cars, not that it is allowed outside cars.

Perhaps you could post the law saying it's allowed to stand on a public footpath?

Anyway - I thought you were going back to work? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Dean0088 wrote: »

Forgot one

[*] Harassing, intimidating, obstructing or generally provoking workers involved in the meter installation or the Gardai, then posting videos of 'harassment' or 'police brutality'

• Advertisement

Learn to quote fs
    Are you seriously now claiming that the Irish water worker want IN his workplace?

His workplace would be the offices where he is based, He was working OFF SITE therefore he wasn't in his workplace.
    YES, an company has no legal rights to claim that a public street is their designated smoking area.

Walk through the city any day and see the staff from shops smoking outside :rolleyes:
    Rubbish, prehaps you can prrovide me the law wehere private companies can claim public areas as their designated areas?

See above

Advertisement