Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hunt 14/15 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

Wonder will we see Mossey Joe again, looks a hound now. Pulled up at Ballinaboola P2P on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Itsabrack

Wonder will we see Mossey Joe again, looks a hound now. Pulled up at Ballinaboola P2P on Sunday
    An expensive hound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Barry Connell is like the Irish equivalent of Godolphin.

Whats Danny Mullins the equivelant of then?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Lads, surely Boston Bob @ 25/1 with Lads is the standout AP bet for the GC. His comeback run wasn't bad (travelled and jumped as well as he ever has) and Ruby gave him as the older horse to follow in Saturdays Irish Field, saying he thinks he's still on the upgrade. The race is made for him and he's certain to be aimed at it. The 25's compared with Paddy Power's 12/1 is sure to shorten IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Itsabrack wrote: »
    Whats Danny Mullins the equivelant of then?

Chris Catlin or Adam Kirby

He definitely would deserve to take his chance, I think something is going to pop up out of last year's novice rank, the old brigade might not good enough this year. I like Smad Place, the RSA is a great breeding ground for Gold Cup hopefuls. Having said all that , Boston Bob is trained by a master and has all the credentials and will probably be targeted with that in mind, 25-1 is nice to have in your AP book.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Barry Connell is like the Irish equivalent of Godolphin.

must nearly have as much cash as them the spending power he has

• Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Chris Catlin or Adam Kirby

Very harsh on Kirby

I wouldn't put anyone off backing Boston Bob,in fact if i was having a punt at the minute i'd be looking for someone at a big price e/w that has the ability and he fits the bill.

A slight problem i'd have though and this might sound mad but Mullins as excellent a trainer as he is hasn't exactly developed too many top class senior chasers in recent years to challenge over the sea.

Cooldine won the RSA as a novice and went backwards afterwards. Quel Esprit i think managed 1 poor grade 1 in ireland. Mikael D'haguenet was destroyed by going over fences. Sir Des Champs hasn't delivered on his Novice potential,granted he was unlucky to be out injured last year as he surely would've went close in what was a poor race and i think that's the only reason On His Own got so close. Kempes was another that at 1 stage was being talked up as a Gold cup but he never reached that level and was regressing badly by the time he unfortunately passed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

As much as i love Boston Bob, his jumping may not be good enough for the Gold Cup, that said he just needs to be withing 20 lengths of last years donkeys to pass them on the run-in.

My gut at the moment is that Bobs Worth wasn't on form last year and if he get back to form he will be hard to beat, Sir Des Champs will be suited by it if he get there..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

I wouldn't put anyone off backing Boston Bob,in fact if i was having a punt at the minute i'd be looking for someone at a big price e/w that has the ability and he fits the bill.

A slight problem i'd have though and this might sound mad but Mullins as excellent a trainer as he is hasn't exactly developed too many top class senior chasers in recent years to challenge over the sea.

Cooldine won the RSA as a novice and went backwards afterwards. Quel Esprit i think managed 1 poor grade 1 in ireland. Mikael D'haguenet was destroyed by going over fences. Sir Des Champs hasn't delivered on his Novice potential,granted he was unlucky to be out injured last year as he surely would've went close in what was a poor race and i think that's the only reason On His Own got so close. Kempes was another that at 1 stage was being talked up as a Gold cup but he never reached that level and was regressing badly by the time he unfortunately passed.

100% agree with the above but he could find himself with so many darts this season that it's irrelevant. Can see the two Richi horses - Djackadam, Champagne Fever - line up with Bob and I'd fancy all 3. Bob, at the prices, is definitely the one at this stage though. Mullins has reported that they changed his routine mid last season and that there's now a stable lad who keeps him on the straight and narrow. Seems to have worked too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

aidankkk wrote: »
    that said he just needs to be withing 20 lengths of last years donkeys to pass them on the run-in.

sums up how weak last year's race really was, no surprise that it's 10/1 the field, and I'd definitely be looking at last year's novices to find a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

25 to 1 is a brilliant price in my opinion. To be honest i've never been very impressed by Boston Bob but I thought that comeback run was very promising and certainly the best out of the main contenders that have ran so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

I definitely think boston Bob will be suited by the 3m 2 and will bring the best out of him. His jumping would need to be solidified. I don't think his price will shorten a whole lot unless he wins the lexus over xmas which he may well do. I would wait until you see what race he's entered in next. If he's in an above average 2m 4 he'll probably be beat and who knows if his price will drift..

I'd be more inclined to think champagne fever has this race if he can stay, classiest of an ageing bunch with savage course form. I have another 2 long shots in mind but want to see them this year first before I make any comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If Bobs Worth is back anywhere near his best he will murder this lot, I like Taquin De Seuil but I don't think he jumps well enough to win a Gold Cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

After the Gold Cup in March the one horse I took out of the race was Lyreen Legend. Made a couple of mistakes over the last couple of fences but was bang there 3 out. Possibly didn't stay the trip but finished behind Silviniaco Conti & was only beaten maybe 8 lengths. Currently 50/1 & will probably go down the Lexus & Hennessy route this year. Could be a dark horse come March if things go according to plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Peintre Celebre

coopdog85 wrote: »
    After the Gold Cup in March the one horse I took out of the race was Lyreen Legend. Made a couple of mistakes over the last couple of fences but was bang there 3 out. Possibly didn't stay the trip but finished behind Silviniaco Conti & was only beaten maybe 8 lengths. Currently 50/1 & will probably go down the Lexus & Hennessy route this year. Could be a dark horse come March if things go according to plan.

Backed it last year, blatant non stayer. If this horse runs in the GC and not the Ryanair I will run head first into a wall

Backed it last year, blatant non stayer. If this horse runs in the GC and not the Ryanair I will run head first into a wall

I came here to say what he said

Gringo180 wrote: »
    If Bobs Worth is back anywhere near his best he will murder this lot, I like Taquin De Seuil but I don't think he jumps well enough to win a Gold Cup.

I don't think he'll be back anywhere near his best i think we've seen the best of him and the 5/2 being quoted for the Lexus at this stage i find fantastic as it means i've a nice price when i decide what to oppose him with.

He's only a little boy but has a big heart and puts it all in every time,i think he could be running on empty this season and will be opposing for the foreseeable.

• Advertisement

I don't think he'll be back anywhere near his best i think we've seen the best of him and the 5/2 being quoted for the Lexus at this stage i find fantastic as it means i've a nice price when i decide what to oppose him with.

He's only a little boy but has a big heart and puts it all in every time,i think he could be running on empty this season and will be opposing for the foreseeable.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

I agree I don't think it quite got the trip, it would be interesting to see if they went for the gold cup again though. They say S.Conti doesn't get the trip yet he'll be short enough in the betting again once March comes around. Lyreen Legend was bang there & hit 2 of the last 3 fences basically killing any chance it had of a place, but even after a few mistakes it still finished just behind S.Conti yet will be 3 or 4 times the price come the day.

In an ideal world I'd love to see Lyreen Legend in the Ryanair because barring mistakes I think it'll be in the mix come the business end it. Versatile ground wise & generally a good jumper I'll be keeping a keen eye on what they do this year with the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭dicky dunne

Really looking forward to Simonsig coming back who could be a dark horse for the GC, i think if he lines up in the King George he wins it, i read today that Henderson hopes to start him in the Peterborough Chase in a few weeks

Really looking forward to Simonsig coming back who could be a dark horse for the GC, i think if he lines up in the King George he wins it, i read today that Henderson hopes to start him in the Peterborough Chase in a few weeks

Looking forward to his return. An absolute machine this animal is.

Any reason why you think he wont come back to his best? Hes only ran a handful of times in the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Any reason why you think he wont come back to his best? Hes only ran a handful of times in the last 2 years.

I think he is right, he was flat all season after winning a Gold Cup, have seen the mark a Gold Cup leaves quite a bit lately.

Holywell or Simonsig if he is campaigned over 3 early this year.

Horses coming back after a year off carry a health warning. I would keeping a watching brief.
    As for Bobs Worth, as I said earlier, he is 2 years older now, a lot of water under the bridge. I would be looking to last years novices to come to the fore.
    We all go with our heart now and again with these previous champions, it's only normal and I am just as guilty as the next fella. We want to see them climbing to the heights they set before, however that carries a wealth warning !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

coopdog85 wrote: »
    I agree I don't think it quite got the trip, it would be interesting to see if they went for the gold cup again though. They say S.Conti doesn't get the trip yet he'll be short enough in the betting again once March comes around. Lyreen Legend was bang there & hit 2 of the last 3 fences basically killing any chance it had of a place, but even after a few mistakes it still finished just behind S.Conti yet will be 3 or 4 times the price come the day.

In an ideal world I'd love to see Lyreen Legend in the Ryanair because barring mistakes I think it'll be in the mix come the business end it. Versatile ground wise & generally a good jumper I'll be keeping a keen eye on what they do this year with the horse.

I love Lyreen Legend but since he won his first chase he's really flattered to deceive more often than not. Hopefully he matured and got stronger over the summer as even though he showed promise in the Gold Cup, he was well beaten at Punchestown and before that in the Lexus and Hennessy.

He was a high quality novice though going close in the RSA and a couple of times behind Back In Focus in Ireland. So hopefully he has a good year.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DylanAFC

Annie Power to stay over hurdles. Mares hurdle?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

DylanAFC wrote: »
    Annie Power to stay over hurdles. Mares hurdle?

It would look that way, possibly the next Quevega and we will end up not truly finding out how good she is just like the aforementioned

Advertisement