Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Hunt 14/15 thread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

only1stevo wrote: »
    I would have preferred to see more of him too, who wouldn't have?
    Gemix is clearly a nice horse and probably should have won that day, and I know a line should be put through his Cheltenham effort. If we're looking at that form(2m4f in mud) it would also suggest there isn't much between UDS and Thousand Stars.

It is interesting that Ruby was very bullish on him and hopefully we'll find out this season if that confidence is backed up.

Willie knows best.. because he is one of the best? Knows the horse better than anyone I've spoken too on the matter.
    Appreciate we all have opinions but to say there's hijinks going on by the yard towards UDSs owners(@blackbelt) is laughable.

More of That- class horse, very well campaigned. Same with Holywell over the past few seasons. Top marks for Jonjo there.

Anyway the UDS question is an interesting one that will be answered this season.

So your view is UDS wasnt good enough to go to cheltenham or run in any grade 1 over 2m last season or was he inexperienced why wasnt he in the races? if your saying hes not good enough for enough ill say well done if he proves no good in grade1s this season but I dont know how anyone can say he didnt deserve a shot over 2m in a decent race to prove himself

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

blackbelt1 wrote: »
    So your view is UDS wasnt good enough to go to cheltenham or run in any grade 1 over 2m last season or was he inexperienced why wasnt he in the races? if your saying hes not good enough for enough ill say well done if he proves no good in grade1s this season but I dont know how anyone can say he didnt deserve a shot over 2m in a decent race to prove himself

No I said I don't think UDS was good enough to compete in the Champion last year.
    I am basing this on the fact that he did not run- for a reason.
    I believe he would have run if Willie Mullins thought he was good enough to challenge the top 4/5 in the betting.

I would have preferred to see him run in a more competitive race last year over 2 on decent ground, because then we would have a much clearly picture of how good the horse is, and we mightn't be having this conversation.

I believe theres a reason why he wasn't given a shot in a decent race. I believe that reason is down to what the people who work with him day in and day out thought. I don't believe it was a case of pulling the wool over the owners eyes.

Roll on the new season.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

However, I am of the firm belief that Mullins would have run UDS in the Champion Hurdle if he truly believed that the horse could mix it with that field. I think it's bizarre to suggest otherwise.
    It could be a fair comment to say he might underrate the horse and that he could be wrong in that belief, but live Cheltenham chances are not passed on because a stable companion is going for a milestone.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

jimjamcos wrote: »
    As for those saying Willie knows best, horse was inexperienced etc, you only have to look at More of That, how he was campaigned positively by O'Neill and the end result to show that protecting NH horses is fallacy.

The only thing WPM was protecting was his and Rubys interests. There is way too much conflict of interest going on in that yard. Agree with you More of That is a perfect example of a trainer letting a horse deservedly take his chance. If Rich Ricci was in JPs boots you'd probably have seen More of That in the Coral Cup thanks to WPM and Ruby.

As much as i can't wait for the season to kick in it pains me to know that WPM will do his utmost to keep all his horses apart. The WPM monopoly on classy horses is ruining racing. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Creepy put in a nice round of jumping today on his chase debut, very early days but was nice to see and just glad its so close now to the season kicking in proper.

• Advertisement

madmoose wrote: »
    Creepy put in a nice round of jumping today on his chase debut, very early days but was nice to see and just glad its so close now to the season kicking in proper.

Court Minstrels debut over fences also worth a watch in Newton Abbot yest, was tidy enough(bar the last).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

World Hurdle winner More of that is the most exciting prospect all season the horse is a true champion only an act of god will get him beaten superb engine and attitude.

Simonsig would eat him. But they wont meet as MOT is a novice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 134 ✭✭blackbelt1

Gringo180 wrote: »

Simonsig and Sprinter Sacre wont be the same anymore,they never comeback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

No, he's not.

Simonsig and Sprinter Sacre wont be the same anymore,they never comeback.

I think it's more likely Simonsig will come back to his best than SS. The grey only had a slight injury last season and was let off for rest of year. We're still to see the best of Simonsig, been to a few Preview Nights with Geraghty and one thing I've always taken away is how highly he rates him, right up there with SS. He could blow them away this season!

• Advertisement

No, he's not.
    First season over fences I would be shocked if they didn't stick him to novice races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭madmoose

Some good names engaged in that 2m5f chase at newton abbot on friday including taquin de seul, unixandre, wonderful charm and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

O'Faoilins Boy out for the season it seems.

A double blow, we'll be seeing none of a nice horse and less of a fine filly :mad:

O'Faoilins Boy out for the season it seems.

A double blow, we'll be seeing none of a nice horse and less of a fine filly :mad:

Only out until new year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭BumperD

Only out until new year.

T43 new yr, the boy for season. Was on racing post.

Is Annie Power going chasing?

BumperD wrote: »
    T43 new yr, the boy for season. Was on racing post.

My bad.

Is Annie Power going chasing?

I'd bet my Willie she never jumps a fence!

I'd bet my Willie she never jumps a fence!
    Suppose it will be another super mare going to waste in that dreadful mares hurdle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭cack_handed

aidankkk wrote: »

Fascinating race for such a small field. At first glance was wondering whether the 2 Jonjo horses weren't the wrong way round in the betting. Can see why Colour Squandron would be tempting getting all the allowances, but 6/4 is stinking value in my book
    Would much rather the better odds on Taquin although I wouldn't rule out any of the other 3 from the equation either

Time to climb back on the Wonderful Charm cliff! Any day now..

aidankkk wrote: »

Taquain is a future King George and Gold Cup winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭ste2010

Anyone know what briar hill is doing this season, fences or hurdles?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭klairondavis

ste2010 wrote: »
    Anyone know what briar hill is doing this season, fences or hurdles?

Stayers Hurdle the long term target

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭seoirsem

Probably worth while backing Nicholls' horses blind in the big races from now till Christmas. He seems to excel at producing horses for big races this time of the year.

Hon Wonderful Charm!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MassDeb8r

Rich Ricci has outlined that Faugheen is to stay over hurdles, Vatour might go novice chasing but Annie Power should stay over the smaller obstacle. Champagne Fever will be aimed at both the Queen Mother and Gold Cup with a possible tilt at the King George with him. The exciting Pont Alexandre is back from his long injury and will go chasing as well.

But there is one Ricci horse to keep on the right side of. He has already won three out of four bumpers in France. Connections are bullish about this horse being a Supreme Novice hurdle winner and he cost a small fortune, figures upwards of €300,000 were reported. His name? Allez Colombieres. You heard it here first.

- Pipey.

Advertisement