Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mihan87

Patsy6546 wrote: »
    Most people confident for the othello question , to be on the role of women?

I am convinced the Iago Q will come up but thats IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Jijsaw

OMGeary wrote: »
    Will laugh if Plath comes up tomorrow.

I kind of want the paper to be just 4 Plath questions it would never happen but the look on people's faces would be priceless :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

GoodbyeMrA wrote: »
    Anyone else kinda relying on very specific things? I'm completely banking on Frost/Montague, Theme/Issue and Iago. Otherwise I'm completely sausage sandwiched.

Learn role of women

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GoodbyeMrA

Elemonator wrote: »
    Learn role of women

Don't even have an essay on it, I've got one on Desdemona and that's it. Gonna have to try learn that and wing it. Know about Emilia because of Iago so suppose I'll just be chatting dung if that comes up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

This has been asked before and not answered!

If frost comes up what type of wuestion might they ask? :P

• Advertisement

This has been asked before and not answered!

If frost comes up what type of wuestion might they ask? :P

You can be asked anything really! im learning about his poems coming across as simple but they have complex meanings as this iswhat i was asked in the mocks

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Stooped

What symbols are in Othello? I'll most likely answer a character question or otherwise but I'm just curious.

Mihan87 wrote: »
    You can be asked anything really! im learning about his poems coming across as simple but they have complex meanings as this iswhat i was asked in the mocks

Can you explain this a bit furthet.
    Lets say for example in 'tuft of flowers' i know his language is clear and easily accessable but what can you say about the complex meanings?

Would really appreciate an answer thank youu!!
    Stooped wrote: »
    What symbols are in Othello? I'll most likely answer a character question or otherwise but I'm just curious.

Handkerchief
    The willow song
    The candle

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Patsy6546

Anyone got a link to or sample essay for the role of women in othello ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bmea

Anyone else kinda relying on very specific things? I'm completely banking on Frost/Montague, Theme/Issue and Iago. Otherwise I'm completely sausage sandwiched.

I'm the exact same. I'm hoping for a frost-theme/issue-iago clean sweep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

If I were you I'd do something else like Desdemona for Othello. It will increase your probability of not being stuck a load.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Can you explain this a bit furthet.
    Lets say for example in 'tuft of flowers' i know his language is clear and easily accessable but what can you say about the complex meanings?

Would really appreciate an answer thank youu!!

Tuft of flowers- leads us to think it is a nature poem about the beauty of nature but has more complex meanings such as the realisation of human companionship/human emotion of lonliness etc

Mending wall-a rural poem with a sense of mystery and complex in the way it deals with problems of human relationships/communication. The poem is based neighbours working together to keep themselves apart (this is a hidden meaning)

Out out- is also a rural poem which makes us think the poem is about nature/farm work but has the hidden/complex meaning that children should not be doing a mans job etc..

Hope this answers your question!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Thanks, I wasn't considering studying that at all but the notes seem great.

Mihan87 wrote: »
    Tuft of flowers- leads us to think it is a nature poem about the beauty of nature but has more complex meanings such as the realisation of human companionship/human emotion of lonliness etc

Mending wall-a rural poem with a sense of mystery and complex in the way it deals with problems of human relationships/communication. The poem is based neighbours working together to keep themselves apart (this is a hidden meaning)

Out out- is also a rural poem which makes us think the poem is about nature/farm work but has the hidden/complex meaning that children should not be doing a mans job etc..

Hope this answers your question!!

Thanks soo much appreciate it a lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

How Am I set?

Poets :

Donne ( beg the lord for him)
    Dickinson
    Plath
    Yeats

Comparative:

theme and isssue ( praaaay)
    GVV ill be able to waffle a bit on it

Othello:

Iago
    Othello
    Role of women
    Desdemona
    Emilia
    Theme of jealousy

Mostly worried I wond get my poet or theme and issue :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

How Am I set?

Poets :

Donne ( beg the lord for him)
    Dickinson
    Plath
    Yeats

Comparative:

theme and isssue ( praaaay)
    GVV ill be able to waffle a bit on it

Othello:

Iago
    Othello
    Role of women
    Desdemona
    Emilia
    Theme of jealousy

Mostly worried I wond get my poet or theme and issue :(

Don't want to freak you out but I'd say have a read over another poet. Paper tomorrow could easily be Frost, Hardy, Montague and Ní Chuilleanáin!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

To be fair, on the comparative, Cultural context came up in the last 2 years (unlikely IMO), while Literary Genre was last in 2012. V&V twice in the last 3 years, with it being on last year.. I think Literary Genre and Theme&Issue (last in 2013) are most likely, but they always put in atleast one unpredictable thing on the paper, hopefully they forget to do so this year :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11 liahiggins

So people are pretty much banking on Frost, Role of Women in Othello and Theme or Issue for Comparative?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

Why is everybody banking on Frost ? I mean he was up in 2010 ? Montague was up in 2009. Donne in 2008 and Hardy in 2006. I know that has nothing to do with it but surely the other 3 have a higher chance ?

• Advertisement

They definitely have more of a chance but everyone else seems convinced that Frost is going to be there. Praying that he will come up cause he's the only one that I actually like studying and all of my other studied poets have been up pretty recently, apart from Donne who I just refuse to acknowledge his existence because I just despise him

• Registered Users Posts: 3 leahdalton111

any predictions for english paper 2 higher level tomorrow?

Why is everybody banking on Frost ? I mean he was up in 2010 ? Montague was up in 2009. Donne in 2008 and Hardy in 2006. I know that has nothing to do with it but surely the other 3 have a higher chance ?

If anything everyone is banking on ENC, on RTÉ News everyone was seeing "oh ENC". A lot of people in my year think Montague but just to make myself safe I have Frost, Montague and Dickinson done in very good detail, Hardy and Plath done in middling detail and Yeats, well I try and remembers Yeats' quotes! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

For me it's because he's the one poet I actually like studying! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hulk_buster

I have a feeling that Eileen NC is a trap, she's Irish, a woman, first time on the course, she's the perfect candidate to be asked, so what better to do than not ask her and separate the predictors from the good students

Saying this I wouldn't not know her

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

Does anyone at all think jealousy will come up in othello?

AlfaJack wrote: »
    For me it's because he's the one poet I actually like studying! :P

Likewise! The only one that I actually enjoy reading. If he doesnt come up, I mught just sit there and cry :P

gracew wrote: »
    Does anyone at all think jealousy will come up in othello?

Good I hope so, I'd love it :D
    Whether it comes up is another matter but I like Othello so I shouldn't do too bad in it- hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 griffin246

Seriously freaking out atm...
    So the 2 poets i am praying for are Frost and Yeats? maybe Montague as a back up if i have time to study him tomorrow :p
    Comparative: Theme/issue of isolation
    Othello... I really have no idea? mabey role of women or general Othello or Iago
    ^is this what most people are covering?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    To be fair, on the comparative, Cultural context came up in the last 2 years (unlikely IMO), while Literary Genre was last in 2012. V&V twice in the last 3 years, with it being on last year.. I think Literary Genre and Theme&Issue (last in 2013) are most likely, but they always put in atleast one unpredictable thing on the paper, hopefully they forget to do so this year :D

There's 4 possible topics but only 3 are on the course each year, this year it's theme, literary genre and vision & viewpoint. Don't study cultural context. Pick 2 out of the 3 and you'll be fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement