Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Not even ENC knows what her own poetry is about

She does. I have actually emailed her personally. She just enjoys presenting you with mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Elemonator wrote: »
    She does. I have actually emailed her personally. She just enjoys presenting you with mystery.

Care to spill the beans? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

Elemonator wrote: »

i was being sarcastic but Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Time is passing by way too quickly today! Need to look over some Plath, Dickinson, Ni Chuilleanáin and if time Montague. Done everything but look over my notes on jealousy and imagery for Othello and need to read my comparative notes and essay again!

I could spend all this time to guarantee a good result in an exam I'm actually including in my top 6- maths, but I want to do well in English so badly!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 clarebear15

Since today was a dead set disaster, tomorrow better be nice. Desdemona character q, GV+V, and Montague please.

My life would be complete! That is my ideal scenario 😭

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 bmea

Absolutely bolloxed for the comparative. Anybody doing Juno, I'm Not Scared and Brooklyn have a theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Epicfish

Is it just my English teacher that was mad enough to do Translations by Friel as part of the comparative?

Most of the class are absolutely lost with the stupid play.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

podisyc wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's learned a **** tonne of quotes and am winging the questions?

No I'm with you there! Even for othello I haven't a clue, best of luck haha

• Registered Users Posts: 10 m.xvii

bmea wrote: »
    Absolutely bolloxed for the comparative. Anybody doing Juno, I'm Not Scared and Brooklyn have a theme?

Doing the first two and going to answer the theme of relationships. (friendship, marital and parent/child)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hulk_buster

Is it true that for the comparative you can focus on just two

• Advertisement

if it said atleast 2 in the question you only have to give 2 although ost examners will expect 3 and will mark harder if just 2 are used

Depending on the wording of the question.

That being said, considering we were told to aim for at least 4 pages in our comparative answer, I'd never be able to get 4 pages out of 2 of my texts, and I consider myself to be graduated with a PhD from the school of talking bollocks to fill up paper

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Hulk_buster

Can you mainly focus on two and give minor references to the 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Epicfish wrote: »
    Is it just my English teacher that was mad enough to do Translations by Friel as part of the comparative?

It's in my comparative as well. I have no idea why.

Can you mainly focus on two and give minor references to the 3rd

You could, but I'd be afraid of running the risk of the examiner realising that you don't know the 3rd well enough.

It really is up to you though, if you can even learn off snippets of the 3rd piece, I'd recommend that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Amy0711

Gem957 wrote: »
    Are the only irish poets on our course montague, ni chuilleanain and yeats?

Yes! And there's also only 3 female and from studying past papers one of each has come up every single year!

It's in my comparative as well. I have no idea why.

Please tell me you have some idea on how to use the stupid thing? All I've gathered from it is that Lancey's a prick, Owen is a meeting point, and Maire fecked off with Yolland and left Manus a wreck.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Cheerios

We're doing that too. I honestly hate it. It's not that I don't understand it, it's just extremely boring, not to mention short. I have a hard time comparing it to my other comparatives (The Great Gatsby and The King's Speech).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Please tell me you have some idea on how to use the stupid thing? All I've gathered from it is that Lancey's a prick, Owen is a meeting point, and Maire fecked off with Yolland and left Manus a wreck.

Nope. I was out sick when it was being done in my class. I'm just gonna wing it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Are you marked easier if you answer a different poet to everyone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

You know all those students who cried when Heaney came up in paper 1 cause they were so SURE that he wouldn't appear in paper 2 then?? You know all the students who cried in the year of plath?? That will be me if the role of women in Othello doesn't come up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 CloooooB

Really panicking, only know Donne properly and need reassurance haha HELP

OMGeary wrote: »
    Are you marked easier if you answer a different poet to everyone else

Well we were always told that making your work stand out from the rest of the pile would always serve us well.

Would the corrector actually apply this? It's really up to them.

is 10 quotes from othello enough to put in an essay or ?

I don't know how you could be marked easier because the odds of you choosing a poet that no one else does out of the thousands of students of Ireland is a definite 0 like...unless they aren't actually on the paper and you just do em anyway :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

What do you guys think the comparative question will be relating to AMS, HMMTB and INS?

Predictions from teachers?

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

Can someone give me a basic structure for an othello essay on the role of women please? this is literally the first time I've ever heard of it being a question and I'm so stressed now

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Amy0711

Anyone one with a couple of paragraphs on language in othello?

is 10 quotes from othello enough to put in an essay or ?

My English teacher told me that when an examiner glances over your paper first they are continually thinking oh good job oh well done on getting that in there etc as they read through it and this leaves them with an overall impression of your essay before they go through it properly to actually mark you..how many times do you want your examiner to say Ooh well done? That's how I try and do quotes for exams..he was explaining this to me because I am really bad at grammar and he said this is similar when everytime you make a mistake they sigh until at the end of the paper your overall impression is annoyance at the crap grammar :D

• Advertisement

gracew wrote: »
    Can someone give me a basic structure for an othello essay on the role of women please? this is literally the first time I've ever heard of it being a question and I'm so stressed now

id first start and talk about how all three women come from different social backrounds but are all subject to the same prejudices i.e used and abused by men. Then go and talk about Desdemona and how she is faithful to Othello even though he treats her bad etc and do the same with Emilia and Bianca. Just talk about the three women and how they are seen in a certain light by men in Othello

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement