Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lukewalsh96

Do you need quotes for comparitive and what happens if you forgot to title your short story today!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

For anyone doing Dickinson, what do you think will be the title? Last year was both disturbs and delights. I'm wondering since most of her poems are about death and bleakness, it could be something about her exploration of extreme states of mind with originality. It would be quite annoying if they did, as I have three more bright poems covered in-depth, which I find far more fascinating than some of her darker poems. Usually they like to ask a question that would cover most poems, so I hope this will be the case again.

My preference going into the day:

1. Hardy/Dickinson
    3. Plath
    4. Ni Chuilleanáin
    5. Montague :)

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Do you need quotes for comparitive and what happens if you forgot to title your short story today!!

Yes you 100% need quotes! Even a few thrown in every here and there but they are essential for your essay

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ladderlad

A bollox i forgot a title asweell

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭ShaunDaSheep

you don't HAVE to put in quotes for comparative however it shows a greater extent of knowledge of the texts and you will get marked better

You may lose 2 or 3 marks nothing much, dont worry about that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭fin709

Are people learning off othello essays? Would it not make more sense to learn quotes and mould the answer in on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 m.xvii

fin709 wrote: »
    Are people learning off othello essays? Would it not make more sense to learn quotes and mould the answer in on the day?

Exactly what I plan to do! At this stage there's no point in cramming essays. All i did was watch the film one last time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

ladderlad wrote: »
    A bollox i forgot a title asweell

Oh holy %#^#. I forgot too. And that was the part I thought I did well in.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

id first start and talk about how all three women come from different social backrounds but are all subject to the same prejudices i.e used and abused by men. Then go and talk about Desdemona and how she is faithful to Othello even though he treats her bad etc and do the same with Emilia and Bianca. Just talk about the three women and how they are seen in a certain light by men in Othello

Thank you this helped so much, how long on average should this question be??

• Registered Users Posts: 10 m.xvii

Poetry: Frost main and Monty/Donne as back up.
    Comparative: Praying for theme but could survive on Literary.
    Othello: About 30 quotes and praying for the best.

What kills about paper 2 is that we have 200 mins for 200 marks. That equates to one minute per mark, plz no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 andreideeu

im doing "the great gatsby" as my single text , would u say i need qoutes ? and how many ?

gracew wrote: »
    Thank you this helped so much, how long on average should this question be??

It should be atleast 3 and a half - 4 pages

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

andreideeu wrote: »
    im doing "the great gatsby" as my single text , would u say i need qoutes ? and how many ?

I'm doing it aswell what have you covered for it? And I don't have that many quotes about ten in total!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

HELP AM I SAFE BY DOING NI CHUILLEANAIN, MONTAGUE AND HARDY?

Elemonator wrote: »

yeah id say your 75% ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lukewalsh96

Oh holy %#^#. I forgot too. And that was the part I thought I did well in.

Will we be marked down much do Ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

No one can tell you if you're 100% safe. Don't start panic- studying other poets now. Sleep on it and re-evaluate the situation in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

You're not guaranteed anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Lol im the only ****ed person here for poetry in only doing frost and ENC if you guys were in my situation what poet should i quick scan??

We've done plath, yeats and dickinson as the other ones i never revised!!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ecoste

I ran some simulations yesterday. Other people did it using math, but the results are practically the same.

All of this is assuming that the poets appear completely randomly, which isn't necessarily the case.

If you've studied 4 poets, 98486 out of 100000 times one of your poets will appear.

If you've studied 3 poets, 92984 out of 100000 times one of your poets will appear.

If you've studied 2 poets, 78659 out of 100000 times one of your poets will appear.

If you've studied 1 poet, it's 50%. 49913 out of 100000 times.

• Advertisement

Lol im the only ****ed person here for poetry in only doing frost and ENC if you guys were in my situation what poet should i quick scan??

Dickinson without a doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Dickinson without a doubt

Thanks will do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Dickinson, definitely! If you are playing the risk game, I think it's best to cover a type of poet. Covering Dickinson and Ni Chuilleanáin gives you a 90% chance of having an option, as for the past several years a female poet has come up. And the chances of Plath are extremely low.

You're sorted with Dickinson, Frost and Ni Chuilleanáin. But that doesn't mean you will have an option. It's always a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Epicfish

For the love of The Immanent Will, Hardy please come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hannahdfghjkl

Am I covered with Montague and Donne do you think?

My comparative is Othello, The Great Gatsby and I'm not Scared. The only mode I feel able to do is theme. What questions do you think are likely?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 GG396

For the single text, do you need to summarise the story at the start? I hope not, it's such a time suck...
    Hoping my bae Montague comes up, I like Ní Chuillenáin but I'm not so confident about how I'd answer for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ShaunaM18

Hey guys for poetry I know Eilean NC,Frost,Montague,Donne I also studied Dickinson but did not learn her in detail as she came up last year and has never come up 2 years in a row only Plath seems to do that,would I be safe enough leaving Dickinson out ? On two minds afraid due to all the talk of Eilean she might sneakily come up advice please ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Epicfish

ShaunaM18 wrote: »
    Hey guys for poetry I know Eilean NC,Frost,Montague,Donne I also studied Dickinson but did not learn her in detail as she came up last year and has never come up 2 years in a row only Plath seems to do that,would I be safe enough leaving Dickinson out ? On two minds afraid due to all the talk of Eilean she might sneakily come up advice please ! :)

Having four poets is generally enough to guarantee yourself at least 1 coming up, unless you're me, and have the luck of a turkey at christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ShaunaM18

Epicfish wrote: »
    Having four poets is generally enough to guarantee yourself at least 1 coming up, unless you're me, and have the luck of a turkey at christmas.

I'm just afraid cause I had home ec today had my self convinced fish would come up went in full of confidence and open the page to see eggs which really threw me off ! I'm just gonna risk it thanks anyway ! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

GG396 wrote: »
    For the single text, do you need to summarise the story at the start? I hope not, it's such a time suck...
    Hoping my bae Montague comes up, I like Ní Chuillenáin but I'm not so confident about how I'd answer for her.

Absolutely no need to summarise the story at any point, that's exactly what examiners don't want to read!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement