Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English HL 2015 - ALL things HL English, predictions, discussion etc.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭gracew

do people think it's a long shot getting a question on jealousy for othello?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

What are the comparatives by the way. We have three done - Vision and Viewpoint, Literary Genre and Theme of Violence..

But what are the main headings for each?? I know Literary Genre - Narration, Narrative structure, Dialogue, Tension&suspense and Imagery/symbolism. But whats for theme?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gem957

Are the only irish poets on our course montague, ni chuilleanain and yeats?

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    What are the comparatives by the way. We have three done - Vision and Viewpoint, Literary Genre and Theme of Violence..

But what are the main headings for each?? I know Literary Genre - Narration, Narrative structure, Dialogue, Tension&suspense and Imagery/symbolism. But whats for theme?

I think with theme you just cover 4 or 5 key moments/scenes in each text...

G.V.V is how optimistic stories are so characters outlook etc/

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sarah_97

Can someone please kindly post a sample answer of an unseen poem from any year. Question B (20marks).

Would really appreciate it. Thanks

• Advertisement

Kremin wrote: »
    Who did the elderly question B? I made up every single text and poem I used as an example, I really hope it wasn't supposed to be true :p.

Also, just reading over Robert Frost's poetry and I gotta say, I wish I paid more attention in class for Frost, such an amazing poet. I'll legit cry if he doesnt come up tomorrow.. in frost I hope.

#Frost2015 haha. My favorite poet as well, Donne is great too, but hard to learn. Frost is my main poet, he's quite likely to come up as far as I know, so, fingers crossed !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

sarah_97 wrote: »
    Can someone please kindly post a sample answer of an unseen poem from any year. Question B (20marks).

Would really appreciate it. Thanks

The Fist

The fist clenched round my heart
    loosens a little, and I gasp
    brightness; but it tightens
    again. When have I ever not loved
    the pain of love? But this has moved

past love to mania. This has the strong
    clench of the madman, this is
    gripping the ledge of unreason, before
    plunging howling into the abyss.

Hold hard then, heart. This way at least you live.

Derek Walcott
    1. (a) Walcott expresses powerful emotions in this poem. Choose one emotion present
    in the poem and briefly explain how it is conveyed. Make reference to the text in
    support of your answer. (10)
    (b) Write a brief personal response to the final line of the poem.
    Hold hard then, heart. This way at least you live.
    Support your answer with reference to the poem. (10)

OR

2. Discuss the poet’s use of language in “The Fist”. Your answer should make close
    reference to the text. (20)

1. (a) One emotion that is powerfully conveyed in this poem is fear descending into terror. The poem begins with images of hope and brightness but tension is introduced as soon as the poet describes the fist tightening round his heart.

When Walcott mentions ‘mania’ in his poem, the emotion of fear takes over and is conveyed through a panicked tone and a haunting image of ‘the strong clench of the madman… gripping the ledge of unreason’. Walcott fears the slip into insanity, which could come with love and there is terror in his image of himself ‘plunging howling into the abyss’. The run-on lines give the impression of his sanity running away from him, to terrifying effect.

1. (b) When I read the last line of the poem, I feel pity for the poet as he has been so damaged by love in the past and he is terrified of ever loving again. ‘Hold hard then, heart’ is a cold, stony image, which contrasts with the warmth and affection usually associated with the word ‘heart’.

The second sentence, ‘This way at least you live.’ seemed very sad and hopeless. The poet must shut out love in order to survive. He suggests that love could kill him so, in order to survive, he must harden his heart against love.

Compared to the image of hope that appeared at the poem’s beginning, I find the last line very sad and final.

Taken from e-xamit, no sample answer for part 2.

#Frost2015 haha. My favorite poet as well, Donne is great too, but hard to learn. Frost is my main poet, he's quite likely to come up as far as I know, so, fingers crossed !!

If frost doesnt come up Donne is my goto guy. Dont know any other poets lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

is it possible to get away with learning 3 poets. I'm doing Hardy, Ni Chuill and Montague.

Elemonator wrote: »
    is it possible to get away with learning 3 poets. I'm doing Hardy, Ni Chuill and Montague.

Let's be honest, Plath is never going to come up 3 years in a row. That leaves 7 poets.. 3/7 ? Possible, yes, but if you do that, I think it's safest to learn the most popular poets, and from the above three, one will come up out of them, imo. Do Frost too, he's likely aswell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 k88

I've doen Montague, Frost, Hardy and Ni Chuill...There's no chance they'd put 3 poets from last year and Donne on the paper is there? :P

Also kinda banking on Literary Genre...Hate Theme and Issue and General Vision.

Let's be honest, Plath is never going to come up 3 years in a row. That leaves 7 poets.. 3/7 ? Possible, yes, but if you do that, I think it's safest to learn the most popular poets, and from the above three, one will come up out of them, imo. Do Frost too, he's likely aswell

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Will laugh if Plath comes up tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

I actually think that plath will come up , they always want to trick us , everybody is banking on ENC but I have a feeling they will put on plath. People thought that she wont come up twice in a row but she did so why shouldnt she come up again?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Poetry- Montague, Frost and Hardy..i might read over Dickinson but not go too crazy on her
    Comparative- Im going with the theme of relationships and I have an essay wrote out on the general vision
    and viewpoint although I don't know if its ok like we never did it in class.
    Othello- Praying for the role of women or a nice Iago question I haven't studied imagery and symbolism maybe
    I should look over it :/

Does anybody have the sample answers for hardy/frost from the institute? I do have my student ID so i can prove that you aren't breaking the copyright!

Poetry- Montague, Frost and Hardy..i might read over Dickinson but not go too crazy on her
    Comparative- Im going with the theme of relationships and I have an essay wrote out on the general vision
    Othello- Praying for the role of women or a nice Iago question I haven't studied imagery and symbolism maybe

What did you get in the mock if you don't mind me asking? We're in the same boat....

Elemonator wrote: »
    What did you get in the mock if you don't mind me asking? We're in the same boat....

I got a B2 but that was completely my own fault because I completely messed up paper 1 and wrote a short story but titled it as a personal essay (stupidly not knowing the difference) and got marked way down for purpose! I would kill for an A in English but I honestly don't think my vocabulary or grammer is up to A standard :/

Do quotes need to be used in comparative answer?

gracew wrote: »

Yes!! You always need quotes even have about 8 overall but you NEED quotes :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

Anyone have any idea what the question on frost could be?

gracew wrote: »

You need to backup almost everything you say in the english exam :p.

SDQ
    SDQ
    SDQ
    SDQ

Statement-Development-Quote.. only thing i ever heard in English.

The comparative doesn't need as much detail as the Single Text but it definitely still requires quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RobynneMarie

dose anyone have any good links for women in othello.i was missing the day we did it in class and never got the notes. thank u

Yes!! You always need quotes even have about 8 overall but you NEED quotes :eek:

Thank you! And how many quotes do you recommend for poetry?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RobynneMarie

dose anyone have any links to any good notes regarding women and the role they play etc. in Othello. we never covered it in class

do you have a link to any good notes regarding the role of women pease

• Registered Users Posts: 4 k0tryy

dose anyone have any good links for women in othello.i was missing the day we did it in class and never got the notes. thank u

Smartenglish.com.au have specific notes on women in othello but it won't let me post an image !

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GoodbyeMrA

Anyone else kinda relying on very specific things? I'm completely banking on Frost/Montague, Theme/Issue and Iago. Otherwise I'm completely sausage sandwiched.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mihan87

is it possible for GVP to come up since there has been a continuous pattern every year with theme & issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Patsy6546

Most people confident for the othello question , to be on the role of women?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Event_horizon

GoodbyeMrA wrote: »
    Anyone else kinda relying on very specific things? I'm completely banking on Frost/Montague, Theme/Issue and Iago. Otherwise I'm completely sausage sandwiched.

Im too chicken **** to rely on whatever seems most likely, thats why Im studying other stuff as back up
    Also, this might seem late to ask, but everyone's talking about Comparative, banking on Literary Genre, Theme/Issue etc. but in the Comparative, don't they give you choice?
    Like, Literary Genre do part A or B, OR do Theme/Issue part A or B? Like it's not just ONE theme that comes up - it'll be Literary Genre and Theme/Issue or Theme/Issue and GVV etc.? Sorry I just wanna make sure because everyone is banking on something but Im not too worried about it because you get a choice, it'll be a combination of two themes, unless something changed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement